• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur III blowout week (1up)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk

This is cool, I just ran into this on the 1up site. They have a Soul Calibur III hub set up with lots of info, and it looks like it's going to be a week long thing with new content everyday. Only article up so far is a preview by Che Chou with a look at the new characters and the modes in the game such as creating custom characters. It looks pretty spiffy and well put together.

After settling on your occupation, you'll have, quite literally, hundreds upon hundreds of outfit and equipment options to make almost any fighter imaginable. To put this to the test, both 1UP and our sister magazine EGM created fighters fueled by our strange obsessions. For our part, we wanted a pirate/ninja hybrid with the face of an old Japanese salaryman, while Shawn Elliot from EGM opted to create a character from the popular Japanese manga Blade of the Immortal. The possibilities are mind-blowing here, particularly because not only can you edit faces and hairstyles and other physical characteristics, but you can also layer clothing and equipment on top of each other for that complete look.

Also, they're revealing the winner of their Soul Calibur II tournament on Friday.

Blame!

Described in-game as "yet another tale of souls and swords" that tells of a war between The Grandall Empire, the Kingdom of Dalkia, and the Halteese Republic, Chronicles mode is a more radical departure that gives Soul Calibur's epic arena-based battles a real-time strategy twist. In it, you enlist your crew of created characters and move them around in real-time on a top-down 3D map filled with strongholds, fortresses, and checkpoints. Goals will vary per map, and missions range from taking on huge castles by coordinating your forces, rescuing stranded units, or holding a number of locations for a set amount of time while fending off enemy forces. To capture an area, you'll need to position your units on top of the spot for a certain amount of time.

hmm... soul calibur RTS?

edit: oh damn, a fuckload of new screens here... http://soulcalibur3.1up.com/do/media?cId=3137887

richard

Top o' the food chain
bitterazngurl said:
what the hell are muffies and marys?!

the definition of a mary/muffy is a reference to the unique visulizations of homosexuals. I could go on about the history of the two words,
but that would garner its own thread.

for example, the new SCIII dude looks like a muffy you find in a drag queen bar:
46720410.jpg

and dude, look at the custom characters. all they need are less clothes and euro-beat music in the background to make the mary image complete.

46720412.jpg

46720411.jpg

I think this is a dude...

Well, you get the idea. 1UP has like 100 million billion screens of the game. you can look for yourself.

Diablos

I can't believe this game is a PS2 exclusive. Not to say there's anything wrong with that, but SC is too good to be tied down to one console. SC2 for all consoles was very nice. Everyone had an opportunity to play.

The GC forced the Link abomination upon us. GAMECUBE NINTENDO losers need to learn to buy other, better consoles and experience proper gaming.

Xbox version DID rock, though.

Diablos

Drinky Crow said:
This is basically what I was trying to imply. But seriously, XBox looked best, and dammit, SC has an artistic style to it that DESERVES a graphics engine that can run at it's fullest potential. Not to sound like a graphics whore or fanboy, but PS2 can't allow that, no sir.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Anyone know if you can create characters without weapons? I know that's basically the whole idea of Soul Calibur but Heihachi didn't have any in SC2...did he?

Diablos said:
This is basically what I was trying to imply. But seriously, XBox looked best, and dammit, SC has an artistic style to it that DESERVES a graphics engine that can run at it's fullest potential. Not to sound like a graphics whore or fanboy, but PS2 can't allow that, no sir.

What? Dude, you are a total xbot! First your post about FFXII graphics was pretty pathetic and SC2 was ported on PS2 in less than 6 months!

Have you even played Tekken 5? Here's a 60 FPS trailer/gamplay for SC3 and it looks amazing!
http://www.kikizo.com/viewer/vidview_games.asp?games/e32005/kikizo_soulcalibur3_best_hd.wmv

Bob White

Sadly, when it's time to play this with my friends, we'll only use the real characters. These created fighters are gonna be all types of broke. You just KNOW everyone is going to give their guy or girl all the best moves and crap. How does namco think we're going to balace ourselves?

I'm hoping the moves you can pick for your characters have been pre-selected, balanced, and are based on the skill/style/job of the person you make. I can deal with that. (Even though practicing with them will leave you ASSED OUT if you ever play in an arcade.)

Bah. I'd be happy if they just let me put Nightmare's full move list into someone I made. That'd be sweet.

*note, since SC3 isnt online, i havent been reading up on it that much, so if everything i just bitched about has already said to be fixed, ignore this post.

**Also, This motherfucking game should be online.

Solid

Gantz said:
Plus we got better graphics on Xbox and GC. :lol
yeah beacause the difference was so big.

i'd like to see this game for the xbox too (not gc though). but since sony owns the rights that will never happen, sorry buy a ps2.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Bob White said:
I'm hoping the moves you can pick for your characters have been pre-selected, balanced, and are based on the skill/style/job of the person you make. I can deal with that. (Even though practing with them will leave you ASSED OUT if you ever play in an arcade.[/B]

First you choose a gender.

Then you choose an occupation, which determines your weapon and moveset.

That's how they balance the game.

Diablos said:
What? Dude then why am I going to buy a PS3 instead of a 360?

YEAH THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT

Sorry but the post you made the other day about Fantasy XII graphics was really pathetic. You posted 320 x 420 shots blown up to 1024 x 768 and said a bunch of carp about ps2, god that was such nonsense.

Minotauro

chespace said:
First you choose a gender.

Then you choose an occupation, which determines your weapon and moveset.

That's how they balance the game.

So, you do have to choose a weapon? There's no hand-to-hand fighting styles?

chespace

Minotauro said:
So, you do have to choose a weapon? There's no hand-to-hand fighting styles?

AFAIK, there aren't any bare-handed styles.

For details on all 10 occupations and what kind of weapons they'll be using, look here:

http://soulcalibur3.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=2&cId=3142254

FYI, each occupation pretty much reflects a pre-made character of the game... so Barbarians are basically Rock and Astaroth, while Samurais are Mitsurugi and Yosh, etc.

Minotauro

chespace said:
AFAIK, there aren't any bare-handed styles.

For details on all 10 occupations and what kind of weapons they'll be using, look here:

http://soulcalibur3.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=2&cId=3142254

FYI, each occupation pretty much reflects a pre-made character of the game... so Barbarians are basically Rock and Astaroth, while Samurais are Mitsurugi and Yosh, etc.

Cool, thanks for the information.

Too bad there aren't any bare-handed styles though. Oh, well, I guess I can understand why. Hopefully this character creation mode catches on and Sega follow's Namco's lead with VF5.

rusty said:
Too bad this is Going to kick any Xbox fighter's A$$ and it won't be in that FAKED 720p Xbox crap with black bars on all sides of the image.

I won't buy it, of course, cause I'm another Xbot.

Fixed! :D

Diablos said:
I can't believe this game is running on a PS2. Not to say there's anything wrong with that, but SC is too good looking to be running on a PS2 console. SC2 for Xbox had Spawn and a fake 720p option with black bars all around the image. Xbots had an opportunity to play that game. But, I have too much pride to plop down $99 for a used PS2 and play the far superior sequel.

I fixed yours too. :lol
No need to thank me, it was my pleasure. :)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I don't care much for the CAF mode, I'm just happy that all the changes they've made to the gameplay system are going to reward offensive players.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Holla. GOTY. PS2 exclusivity is kinda eh (I'd love to play with Wavebirds again), but whatever, I'm pumped.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
I'm going to act like an immature twat and turn this into a console war thread, because most of my excitement for the game is the fact that it got taken away from the Nbots and Xbots. :lol 720p yadda yadda. PS2 rulez, Xbox druuuuulez. :lol :lol Have fun playing DOA Xbots :)

Lambtron said:
I'm going to act like an immature twat and turn this into a console war thread, because most of my excitement for the game is the fact that it's now PS2 only and got taken away from me, an NXbot. Have fun playing all the good fighting games PS2 owners.

Seriously though, I didn't start the console bashing, nor did I have any intention of making this a console war thread. Nor will I continue to post on this thread and feed the trolls.

Besides, don't take it out on me.
It isn't my fault other people are stupid.

Ive played the PS2 version quite a bit, but when it comes down to it, Xbox with component, the game just LOOKS better. Its not a huge leap and bound, and the gameplay makes it hard to choose this over that because its JUST as fun on the ps2 and while PLAYING it on PS2 I dont even think about the XBox version.

However if I had to pick, id pick an Xbox version cause my god it looks and runs flawless and also loads faster.

No being a fanboy about it, it is what it is. If I can only get III on PS2 then ill be playing SC3 on PS2 wont i?

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Seriously though, I didn't start the console bashing, nor did I have any intention of making this a console war thread. Nor will I continue to post on this thread and feed the trolls.

Besides, don't take it out on me.
It isn't my fault other people are stupid.
The only one acting stupid here is you.

In addition to this, I will say while the character customization is neat, I think the SC2 struck the best balance with the standard costumes for characters. The more it veers towards circus sideshow costumes the less the characters appeal to me as warriors. The fin on nightmare, the purple Astaroth, the weird mask + spandex on taki, its all a little too much. I hope the customization options allows me to harken back to the more simpler times.

Diablos

Doom_Bringer said:
Sorry but the post you made the other day about Fantasy XII graphics was really pathetic. You posted 320 x 420 shots blown up to 1024 x 768 and said a bunch of carp about ps2, god that was such nonsense.
kutaragicry4iz.gif
kutaragicry4iz.gif
kutaragicry4iz.gif

Diablos

kutaragicry4iz.gif

I wasn't talking shit.

I'm not a PS2 or XBox fanboy. Sorry if you can't understand the concept of realizing fandom is retarded.

Diablos said:

:lol whatever

I wasn't talking shit.

I'm not a PS2 or XBox fanboy. Sorry if you can't understand the concept of realizing fandom is retarded.

Come on how was that not bull shit? You were analyzing 320 x 420 shots blown upto 1024 x 768! I have seen the 200 mb high res video at IGN and the games has really good texture work but I am not saying that game won't have washed out textures.

Drinky Crow said:
The GC forced the Link abomination upon us. GAMECUBE NINTENDO losers need to learn to buy other, better consoles and experience proper gaming.

Sad part is, didn't the GC version sell the highest?

chespace

MrAngryFace said:
In addition to this, I will say while the character customization is neat, I think the SC2 struck the best balance with the standard costumes for characters. The more it veers towards circus sideshow costumes the less the characters appeal to me as warriors. The fin on nightmare, the purple Astaroth, the weird mask + spandex on taki, its all a little too much. I hope the customization options allows me to harken back to the more simpler times.

We haven't seen all the costumes yet for the pre-made characters... but I'm pretty sure there will be some variations you're going to dig. Plus, the fact that you can change their colors means you can get a pretty mean looking Nightmare (sans fin, I hope).

As for create-a-fighter fruitiness, well that's completely up to the user.

BTW: Today, we've put up part 1 of our video feature for Soul Calibur III. Check it out.

flsh

Banned
Looks awesome. Too bad there's not Xbox version, could have been cool to download figters other people made and upload the fighters I created.

chespace

MrAngryFace said:
I dont feel too bad about that since most people have no sense of composition or style.

Yeah, wait until you see the Ninja/Pirate I created in Japan in our video tomorrow. :p

flsh

Banned
I know most people suck at creating cool costums, but you know the fans would have created awesome costums :D Oh well, it will still be the best fighter of 2005 :D

Top Bottom