• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur III blowout week (1up)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just a heads-up, I couldn't access the video in Firefox, had to use IE. Didn't see it posted in the downloads section yet though.

Damn Che, don't have many kind words to say about the new blood do ya? ;)

ElyrionX said:
Are there any dual-wielding styles? I was kind of hoping to create my own in-game version of Drizzt Do'Urden.....

Cervantes duel-wields...assuming he's back, which would surprise no one.

Brandon F

weird. Any plug-ins I should have? I'm not too saavy when it comes to extension downloads.

Dunno, I Just dl what the plugin thing asks me too if it doesnt look too intrusive. I have the latest media player dled and there was a new version of firefox out I think.

NO CLUUUU

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Brandon F said:
Just a heads-up, I couldn't access the video in Firefox, had to use IE. Didn't see it posted in the downloads section yet though.

Damn Che, don't have many kind words to say about the new blood do ya? ;)

Cervantes duel-wields...assuming he's back, which would surprise no one.

Yup, so if you wanted someone who dual wields, you'd have to pick a Pirate occupation and then dress him up like something else.

The cool thing about create-a-fighter shit is that, while each job comes with its own starting stats for strength, vitality, agility, and HP, you can level all of those things up in the game's other modes (e.g., Chronicles of the Sword).

So in a sense, your character does "grow"...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
chespace said:
Yup, so if you wanted someone who dual wields, you'd have to pick a Pirate occupation and then dress him up like something else.

The cool thing about create-a-fighter shit is that, while each job comes with its own starting stats for strength, vitality, agility, and HP, you can level all of those things up in the game's other modes (e.g., Chronicles of the Sword).

So in a sense, your character does "grow"...
Can the stats option be removed for a match? I'd rather not get a handicap just because somebody went everquest on the game.

Brandon F

What is the purpose of 'leveling-up' though? To offer a broken stat-rich fighter to slaughter your weekend chums with? Will the Tale of swords mode feature some endgame content ripe for a high-level fighter? Or a convenience to unlocking thousands of art gellery photos?

chespace

typhonsentra said:
I have a PS2, and I plan on buying at least Kingdom Hearts 2 this year.

Guess you're not that big of a Soul Calibur fan. <shrug>

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Brandon F said:
What is the purpose of 'leveling-up' though? To offer a broken stat-rich fighter to slaughter your weekend chums with? Will the Tale of swords mode feature some endgame content ripe for a high-level fighter? Or a convenience to unlocking thousands of art gellery photos?
Yeah, the whole point of a fighting game is that you get better through practice, not artificial stat building.

Brandon F

No matter, I can't think of three games I want to play more this year beyond SC3, Zelda, and DQ8.

chespace

Hitokage said:
Yeah, the whole point of a fighting game is that you get better through practice, not artificial stat building.

The stats you earn in Chronicles of the Sword mode only apply in that mode. It's like an RTS/RPG/Fighting game hybrid, basically. AFAIK, create-a-fighter matches are all reset values.... so a pirate versus a ninja would be pitting those two (presumably balanced) occupations against each other.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
chespace said:
The stats you earn in Chronicles of the Sword mode only apply in that mode. It's like an RTS/RPG/Fighting game hybrid, basically. AFAIK, create-a-fighter matches are all reset values.... so a pirate versus a ninja would be pitting those two (presumably balanced) occupations against each other.
Ok, that's cool.

chespace:
A few questions:

How many characters can be created? I'm working on nine concepts already and I'll probably come up with more before release.

Is it possible to choose personality and override the clothing based personality choice? I'd like my black magician to be a nice girl, thank you.

Is there a long-range based weapon, like a bow or gun or something?

Can you change the height of characters? I thought I saw something like that in the screenshots, or maybe it was just zoomed to the face of the character.

Oh, and are there elf ears?

chespace

SiegfriedFM said:
chespace:
A few questions:

How many characters can be created? I'm working on nine concepts already and I'll probably come up with more before release.

Is it possible to choose personality and override the clothing based personality choice? I'd like my black magician to be a nice girl, thank you.

Is there a long-range based weapon, like a bow or gun or something?

Can you change the height of characters? I thought I saw something like that in the screenshots, or maybe it was just zoomed to the face of the character.

Oh, and are there elf ears?

These are actually good questions and I don't have answers to them.

Except for the long-range based weapon, to which I'm pretty sure there are none. Take a look at the occupations and the weapons they use in my feature.

Tell you guys what... why don't you submit a bunch of reader questions here... and I'll get the producer to answer them by Friday -- how's that?

Let's hear 'em!

Well, about those weapon choices. It's been said before that each class will have four weapons to choose from. Is that correct? For example, your weapon list doesn't have fans or staves, both of which have been shown in artwork and screenshots, so there should be more. I've also seen a ninja with a katana, so I'll assume there will be a few different katana styles among the classes.

Oh, another question. How many different win poses and voice sets are there? I wouldn't want to create fifteen characters only to have them all sound the same...

Edit: On the same note, are there different weapon graphics to choose from within a given class/style? Let's say I make two spear fighters with the same class (I'm pretty sure I've seen a spear listed), but one is an African fighter with an assegai while another is a Japanese pikeman... it would be a little silly if the graphic for the weapon was the same.

CO_Andy

I would like to hear why this isn't a multi-platform game, and if there's a possibilty of ports in the future.

Was Namco really tempted by money to let it be PS2 exclusive?

They've said it already:

Official reason: to be able to focus on content rather than compatibility. While it's probably fairly easy to port, that still takes some people who could do other stuff.

Reason #2: With a single platform, they can improve the game without going to the lowest common denominator. Lower polygon count, lack of analog face buttons, that kind of thing.

Reason #3: In SC2 they made three characters but could only use one in each version of the game, and note that all three exclusive characters were totally original, requiring even more work. Had there been just a single SC2 version, it would have had two more characters with the same work.

chespace

CO_Andy said:
I would like to hear why this isn't a multi-platform game, and if there's a possibilty of ports in the future.

Was Namco really tempted by money to let it be PS2 exclusive?

Pretty much what Siegfried said. Given the ship schedule, they had the resources to do one platform and they chose the one with the biggest userbase. Nobrainer, really.

chespace said:
Pretty much what Siegfried said. Given the ship schedule, they had the resources to do one platform and they chose the one with the biggest userbase. Nobrainer, really.

jarrod said that the game was multiplatform first but Sony gave Namco a moneyhat to make it PS2 exclusive, what do u think of that? He said the game was listed as PS2/GC/Xbox at some EA Europe site.

chespace

Doom_Bringer said:
jarrod said that the game was multiplatform first but Sony gave Namco a moneyhat to make it PS2 exclusive, what do u think of that? He said the game was listed as PS2/GC/Xbox at some EA Europe site.

I don't know how much truth there is to that. Maybe there's a reason why Jarrod got banned. :)

At any rate, Yotoriyama already gave his official answer, which is the one above. You either believe it, or you don't. Asking him the same question again seems redundant.

Ultimately, why does it fucking matter so much? Most everyone owns a PS2 in this day and age, no?

chespace

Kobun Heat said:
Because I was expecting a dolled-up Zelda to be in SCIII :(

You just wanna poke her with your spear, Mr. Nintendog club member in Japanese.

chespace said:
I don't know how much truth there is to that. Maybe there's a reason why Jarrod got banned. :)

At any rate, Yotoriyama already gave his official answer, which is the one above. You either believe it, or you don't. Asking him the same question again seems redundant.

Ultimately, why does it fucking matter so much? Most everyone owns a PS2 in this day and age, no?

I always thought namco wanted to focus on a single platform for SC3, looks like I was right.

BTW Since you are in Japan can you please ask Namco if they are making a next gen Ace Combat?

KAOS

Everything sounds cool so far I just hope Namco doesn't pull anything stupid with the memory cards.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
SiegfriedFM said:
Reason #2: With a single platform, they can improve the game without going to the lowest common denominator. Lower polygon count, lack of analog face buttons, that kind of thing.
...And so they went with PS2...

...And so they went with PS2...

Which has analog buttons (which seemingly are used now), and in theory more polygons per sec.

Because I was expecting a dolled-up Zelda to be in SCIII :(

Create a fighter. Especially if the elf ears are available. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Namco included them, even though SC isn't a fantasy game as such, just to let people get their precious Link back into the game.

Brandon F

KAOS said:
Everything sounds cool so far I just hope Namco doesn't pull anything stupid with the memory cards.

Wonderful point! Please find out if multiple user edited fighters can co-exist on a single mem card. I don't want another Tekken 5/VF4 debacle where all my friends have to pony up for their own card just to enjoy the bonus features!

Also, player profile/stat tracking...find out if it's in there. Huge oversight in Tekken 5.

PS: A 4p tag mode would be pretty swank.

Hero

I still think it's a little too early for another Soul Calibur. It's only been what, a little more than two years?

It should be once a gen kind of thing.

Also, it seems a little fishy to say that they don't want to make three additional characters for each system again. Why not just port the PS2 code to XBX/GCN? Seems stupid, especially considering the GCN version outsold the other two.

Soul Edge 1995 (1996-97 home ports)
Soul Calibur 1998 (1999 home ports)
Soul Calibur 2 2002 (2003 home ports)
Soul Calibur 3 2005 (home version only)

Nope, looks pretty good to me.

Eh... just saw the Watcher-tan interview, and it seems like the win poses have NINJA WINS! plastered all over them. This looks kind of stupid, especially if you're just using the ninja moveset for, like, a big warrior.

Don't know if it's too late already, but could you ask for the character names to be written in that font instead? Shouldn't be too hard. Of course, it wouldn't have the spoken part, but anything to avoid NINJA WINS!

SiegfriedFM said:
Eh... just saw the Watcher-tan interview, and it seems like the win poses have NINJA WINS! plastered all over them. This looks kind of stupid, especially if you're just using the ninja moveset for, like, a big warrior.

Don't know if it's too late already, but could you ask for the character names to be written in that font instead? Shouldn't be too hard. Of course, it wouldn't have the spoken part, but anything to avoid NINJA WINS!

They should let you choose what name the announcer says from a predetermined list, kind of like the Midway sports things. That way you can have yet another layer of customization.

I was always partial to Mr. Marbles for the name the announcer said when my Alligator head center on NHL Hitz went on the rink.

CO_Andy

chespace said:
Fair enough. Ask if they plan to incorporate a way to track player stats and player configuration (like in the new Mortal Kombats).

chespace said:
Tell you guys what... why don't you submit a bunch of reader questions here... and I'll get the producer to answer them by Friday -- how's that?

Let's hear 'em!

Then I'll ask the one that is on most of our minds.

What's the least amount of clothing my character can wear?

On second thought, maybe no one should answer that.
I don't want Jack Thompson ruining Soul Calibur III.

*Edit*
So, has Shawn Elliot always been an Xbot?

chespace

MidgarBlowedUp said:

*Edit*

How is Shawn Elliot an Xbot?

BTW, I haven't submitted the questions yet. I'll do that tomorrow morning, so keep throwing them out please. Or not. Up to you.

FartOfWar

Banned
MidgarBlowedUp said:

*Edit*

Heh, SC 2 looked better to me on Xbox and the controller works perfectly for the way I play. Otherwise, I wouldn't prefer it to the GC version. As for PS2...it chugs at times.

I'd like to ask Namco to include an option to disable/hide the HUD during fights. (Although, that's kind of a backhanded question.) Make it so.

Zeo

Banned
Eh, not really a big deal. I'd guess that most people with an Xbox and/or GC also have a PS2 by now.

I do see what people would bitch about it though. The GC and Xbox versions were better (I got the GC version myself, and I got all 3 systems), although not by much. I heard from some people the PS2 version had a tiny bit of slowdown once and a while, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Underwear, and you can change the colour of the underwear...

601.jpg

Oh, and while we're making the game for them, here's another idea. There should be a password for the edited character so you can easily share them over the net, or copy and paste so you can make variations on a character without having to set every detail again.

Bob White

How do the devs feel and react to hardcore fans deeming certain characters of the game too strong or weak? Do they ignore them because they think the game is perfectly balanced or do they take their complaints into consideration for the next game?

Why are they skipping the arcade?

Brandon F

Bah, still can't get it to work with Firefox...

I do enjoy watching you not entirely feed this guy the softball questions Che. Without straight up insulting the product, it's good to see you occasionally question the content and decisions. Though, if the CAW movesets equate entirely to the standard roster of characters (swordsman=Mitsurugi), it's still a pretty decent step up from say...equipping a tiara on Pai, or a guitar on Hwaorang.

In fact will new CAW items be unlocked with progress? Will there be unique sets of gear distributed as 'trophy' type awards for overcoming certain challenges?

Top Bottom