• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Souls(+Sekiro, BB and ER) games - Pick your top 3

Top 3. Go

• Demon's Souls/Remake

Votes: 69 28.4%
  • Dark Souls 1

Votes: 84 34.6%
  • Dark Souls 2

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • Dark Souls 3

Votes: 64 26.3%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 160 65.8%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 145 59.7%
  • I don't play souls ga-- HELP ME, I DON'T KNOW WHY I KEEP COMING TO THESE THREADS

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

kicker

Banned
It has probably been a full 4 minutes since someone last asked this question on the internet, so we're long overdue

Pardon the odd title structure, I just can't bring myself to not cringe at typing out 'soulsbornekiroring games'

edit: oooh, It just came to me, we should call them
BBERSEKI Souls
games
/s

edit2: Final count seems to be
1. Bloodborne
2. Elden Ring
3. Sekiro
with Dark souls 1 coming in at a very close 4th

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Bloodborne and Elden Ring. Theres no wrong with those 2 choices. Art direction at its finest and above all.

skit_data

Can’t really say which ones are the best but I simply go by which ones left the biggest impact on me personally (which of course is also the first three I played)

1. Dark Souls
2. Bloodborne
3. Demon’s Souls

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring.

I find they are the best of some of the most important aspects whereas the rest don't particularly stand out. I haven't played Demon's Souls Remake but unless the combat is vastly improved, I don't see how it can top Dark Souls which improved upon it in pretty much every respect.

Dark Souls for level design, worldbuilding, and innovation.

Bloodborne for atmosphere, combat, and lore.

Elden Ring for build variety, multiplayer aspects, and replayability.

kicker

Banned
I feel like I should have specified just the og demon's souls and not the remake since recency bias would factor heavily

I find they are the best of some of the most important aspects whereas the rest don't particularly stand out
eh. opinions and all, but I think the game that stands out the most is objectively Sekiro

- First with a working pause function
- Combat focused around a singular parrying playstyle
- Relatively straightforward narrative
- No multiplayer or summons whatsoever
- Closest these games have come to a real-world setting
- An actual skill tree
- Allows resurrections multiple times after dying
- Rot mechanic to encourage urgency
- HESITATION IS DEFEAT posture-based boss fights

They're all great but man, sekiro is a damn unique game compared to the rest

Gaiff

I feel like I should have specified just the og demon's souls and not the remake since recency bias would factor heavily

eh. opinions and all, but I think the game that stands out the most is objectively Sekiro

- First with a working pause function
- Combat focused around a singular parrying playstyle
- Relatively straightforward narrative
- No multiplayer or summons whatsoever
- Closest these games have come to a real-world setting
- An actual skill tree
- Allows resurrections multiple times after dying
- Rot mechanic to encourage urgency
- HESITATION IS DEFEAT posture-based boss fights

They're all great but man, sekiro is a damn unique game compared to the rest
I don't consider Sekiro part of the bunch honestly. It's really its own thing and people lump it with the others because From Software but you realize after 5 minutes with it that it's not quite a Soulsborne game even if it has elements that are hallmarks of them.

Flutta

Banned
This one is hard bruv.

They all have something special to offer. (Except for DS2 🤣)

Hmm i would say.
1) BB
2) DS1/Demon
3) ER

Last edited by a moderator:

kicker

Banned
I don't consider Sekiro part of the bunch honestly. It's really its own thing and people lump it with the others because From Software but you realize after 5 minutes with it that it's not quite a Soulsborne game even if it has elements that are hallmarks of them.
I don't think it's fair to criticize the other souls games for not standing out enough and then exclude Sekiro for essentially standing out too much, even though it explore the same core ideas through very specific gameplay and narrative structure

but, eh, like I said: Opinions

Mr Hyde

Bloodborne
Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin
Elden Ring

I love Demon's Souls, Sekiro and Dark Souls 1 & 3 too but the top 3 is the ones I've enjoyed the most. Incredible franchise though as a whole.

Gaiff

I don't think it's fair to criticize the other souls games for not standing out enough and then exclude Sekiro for essentially standing out too much, even though it explore the same core ideas through very specific gameplay and narrative structure

but, eh, like I said: Opinions
I don't exactly criticize it for that. I just don't consider it part of them. Sekiro isn't even an RPG so it's kind of a non-starter for me when it comes to comparing it to the others.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

1. Dark Souls
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice
Masterpieces !

Dark Souls is by far the best for me. No contest.

If I expand the ranking it would probably go :

4. Dark Souls 3
5. Demon's Souls / Elden Ring (Can't decide really)
6. Dark Souls 2

Also OP what's up with all the polls you make ? Do you set yourself a challenge ? xD

EDIT : I would say Sekiro is not the same genre of the other Soulsborne.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
I don't exactly criticize it for that. I just don't consider it part of them. Sekiro isn't even an RPG so it's kind of a non-starter for me when it comes to comparing it to the others.
Fair enough.

I consider it a part of the others because they all share common themes through gameplay and narrative (or whatever narrative they try to put together) working together. Death, undeath, rebirth, rulers and the ruled, changing of the times, so on.

I understand anyone who separates sekiro though

kicker

Banned
Also OP what's up with all the polls you make ? Do you set yourself a challenge ? xD
meh. I just like discussing gaming topics with as many unique viewpoints as possible, and a lot of people have opinions but don't feel the need to write up a post, however short (I used to be one of them).

Case in point, this thread has roughly 25 unique posters so far, but the poll has 55 repsonses

Last edited:
Bloodborne > Dark Souls 1 > Dark Souls 3 > Dark Souls 2 > Demons Souls > Elden Ring > Sekiro

giphy.gif

Last edited:
1. Bloodborne (vanilla) - Its combat is very satisfying, no areas overstay their welcome, all areas are well designed, and even bosses get their attacks interrupted by player attacks. The way Caryll runes and blood gems can be stacked is cool. The research hall in the DLC is particularly well designed.

2. Elden Ring (slightly modded) - The summonable horse makes traversal a game (especially when you mod the game to use Torrent everywhere) and the miryad of polished combat options is fun. The world has enough interesting elements to be engaging. Academy of Raya Lucaria and Haligtree are especially amazing.

3. Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin (heavily modded) - It becomes an action game with tons of options and retains the amazing world and build variety progression. Still blown away by No-man's Wharf and Drangleic Castle.

P.S. How does chromatic aberration (an unintended defect of recording equipment) improve visual quality or immersion?

Last edited:

NoobSmog

I'm assuming I need a certain amount of posts to vote in polls?

Anyways:

1 .Sekiro
2. Bloodborne
3. Demon's souls/dark souls tie? I think dark souls is the better game, but with 1, 2, and 3 Demon's Souls is more unique.

I don’t think they will ever top this world
Have you ever been to Blighttown or done the platforming in Anor Londo (with archers and painting guardians aggroed) or wandered through the pitch black maze of the Tomb of Giants or ran past the headless dinosaurs of Demon's Ruins on tree roots?

Last edited:

kicker

Banned
Have you ever been to Blighttown or done the platforming in Anor Londo (with archers and painting guardians aggroed) or wandered through the pitch black maze of the Tomb of Giants or ran past the headless dinosaurs of Demon's Ruins on tree roots?
I'm going to be honest, I personally enjoyed the variety in all most of those areas you listed more than any gameplay limitations bothered me. New londo too. (Demon's ruins I just ran through though)

Areas that force you to get intimate with the lighting and poison mechanics, one that forces you to navigate in a way that reminds you that part of the world was filled with actual giants before you, and one with enemies that normal weapons will just pass right through.
In terms of level design, they brought a lot of variety to my playthrough

For what it's worth, I personally consider the duke's archive, crystal cave and demon ruins to be the worst areas in DS1

manfestival

1.Dark Souls 1
2.Elden Ring
3.Bloodbourne

I was debating on whether I put Demons souls above BB but it is the only title I never finished and I rage quit it back on PS3 so then nah. I did spend a ton of time playing it. I was just bad back then.

Pelao

Sekiro, Elden Ring and Bloodborne.
I love Demon's Souls a lot, but I love those other three more.

Bartski

Gold Member
Absolutely loved hundreds of hours in every each one of them.

In hindsight and very subjectively Sekiro is my all-time favorite but Bloodborne is more important, as it altered my taste in gaming and made me discover all of the rest.

Bloodborne ~ Dark Souls >> Dark Souls 3 > Demon's Souls Remake >> Elden Ring >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dark Souls 2 (total trash)

Haven't played Sekiro 🙂

Top Bottom