• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources: MLB and Players' Union agree to use dugout signal for intentional walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

As part of its initiative to improve pace-of-game play, Major League Baseball has approved a change to the intentional walk rule, going from the traditional four-pitch walk to a dugout signal, team and union sources told ESPN's Howard Bryant.

Getting rid of the old-fashioned intentional walk would eliminate about a minute of dead time per walk. In an age in which intentional walks actually have been declining -- there were just 932 all last season (or one every 2.6 games) -- that time savings would be minimal. But MLB saw the practice of lobbing four meaningless pitches as antiquated.

Stark reported at the time that for the intentional walk rule to go into effect this season, an agreement between the league and union would have to be reached "sooner rather than later," since spring training games are close to beginning.

Edit - Pitchers fucking up while intentionally walking a batter:

This eliminates the often hilarious "not 4 pitch walk" where the pitcher accidentally throw the ball to the backstop and the run scores. Still, I am okay with eliminating this.

Eh. Anything that removes a potential play on the field shouldn't be changed. We've seen guys swat at one and get on base before.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You're not really saving much time with this rule (unless Bonds unretires and plays again), and depriving fans of the 1% chance of shenanigans due to a pitcher meltdown.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I don't watch a lot of baseball but this seems like a good thing.

It doesn't speed up the game for one. Second, some pitchers can throw for shit when four fingers are up:

7O0KVrp.gif

zulux21

I don't watch a lot of baseball but this seems like a good thing.

it isn't.
it wasn't something that took much time, and there are plenty of cases where the pitcher screwed up and either threw the ball away, or threw it to close and a batter hit it anyways.

It also removes any chance a player can steal from second to third on a slow intentional walk.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, if you're going to walk a guy there's not much point in wasting all our time with it. The only excitement from that situation would be if someone screwed up a catch and a runner stole a base as a result.

This seems...dumb.

What's next? NBA teams don't have to defend the late game inbound and intentionally foul, instead just signal to the ref and send the other team to the FT line?

It's literally twenty seconds at most they are saving by this

Maybe condense commercial breaks between innings and make them more concentrated but that would take ad money away so that's a no.

I just don't think there is all that big an issue with game length to begin with. Football games are just as long and have even MORE downtime than a baseball game and nobody complains there.

Azuran

Banned
This seems...dumb.

What's next? NBA teams don't have to defend the late game inbound and intentionally foul, instead just signal to the ref and send the other team to the FT line?

Seriously

MLB needs to start accepting baseball will always be a slow ass sport, and maybe that's why people like it. Making up dumb rules that affects potential plays and actually don't save any time is just stupid.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's literally twenty seconds at most they are saving by this

Maybe condense commercial breaks between innings and make them more concentrated but that would take ad money away so that's a no.

I just don't think there is all that big an issue with game length to begin with. Football games are just as long and have even MORE downtime than a baseball game and nobody complains there.

Give it time. If viewership ever starts dropping they'll start trying to speed it up too.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Don't like it. Part of the atmosphere is from the crowd booing their best player being walked / confirming the pitching teams fear of that player getting a chance to back, leaves an impression with both the players and the fans that affects things next time they're up to bat.

Seriously

MLB needs to start accepting baseball will always be a slow ass sport and that's why people like it. Making up dumb rules that actually don't save any time is just stupid.
It's not even that slow. On average there's more game impacting action than an NFL game (where there is only 12 minutes of actual game being played).

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
This is dumb. It saves what a couple of seconds during a at-bat. Who would have guessed we would be missing Bud Selig.

massoluk

Banned
This is a bad idea, man. The drama still could happen during the pitch. The pitcher could self destruct and the batter could try something crazy. Also totally would ruin the iconic climax of a baseball manga Touch :p

A-V-B

I don't get this, though, viewership has been going UP for baseball, hasn't it? It's not downtime that keeps other people from enjoying the sport. They just don't like the mechanical concept of it. Changing the rules to make it a tiny bit faster won't pull them in.

Skipping something that doesn't happen all that often (often times doesn't even happen once in a game) isn't a real pace of play improvement. Limit mound visits, implement a pitch clock, enforce keeping the batter in the batters box and you'll see the length of games decrease drastically.

I am a lifetime diehard Cubs fan, but that playoff run was full of some overly long games. Wilson Contreras tried to kill everyone in Chicago by making those games that long with mound visits.

I don't get this, though, viewership has been going UP for baseball, hasn't it? It's not downtime that keeps other people from enjoying the sport. They just don't like the mechanical concept of it. Changing the rules to make it a tiny bit faster won't pull them in.
National numbers are down but regional numbers are the highest they've ever been.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If Octavio Dotel was still playing he'd be all for this rule!

s6ncu0J.gif

Also, obligatory:

SJwYIvQ.gif

Yes, I'm aware Posey was thrown at soon after. :( SF still won that series though!

Anything to get the game time to something feasible.

This only saves like 15-30 seconds a game at best. Intentional walks aren't a major part of the game these days. You see what, 40-50 max over the course of a season for a given team?

I'll never understand the pitch clock stuff.

Adding a clock to baseball is the worst idea I've ever heard. It's not baseball anymore.

Always thought it should be one intentional ball to signal an intentional walk. Still allows for the pitcher to screw up, but still speeds up the process.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Gotta save that extra 30 seconds!

sigh. Fuck this rule. Less entertaining (no more embarrising the pitcher with boos etc.. or watching a wild pitch game ender on a IBB or a HR on a IBB attempt. ) and this does not do anything for the pace of play.

Mentioned this in the mlb thread, might as well bring it up here.

1. Eliminate pitcher warmups when they come into the game. No other sport stops a game and allows a player to warm up on the playing field. This is what bullpens are for. Its not needed period. Of course it won't be put in place. More time for commercials.

2. Actually enforce the batter stepping out of the box rule. I love that they implemented it but umpires have started becoming too lazy with it.

3. Shorten the inning breaks even more. They implemented a inning break clock a few years ago but it needs to be shorter. College and Minor League games have shorter half innings. Of course, more time for commercials. So wont happen.

4. Pitch Clock. It actually had a real affect in AAA. Don't know how it works with players on base though.

Whatever, 30 seconds saved every few games!....

Sigh. Fuck Manfred.

Jerm411

Quit fucking with shit baseball....ugh.

The one sport that doesn't need tinkered with and here we go, they start changing shit.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Quit fucking with shit baseball....ugh.

The one sport that doesn't need tinkered with and here we go, they start changing shit.

Seriously. I can see the players union giving into this rather then that bullshit extra inning rule. I don't get it though it saves 10 seconds for something that sometimes happens. Just let it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom