• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Jam: A New Legacy First Look Features LeBron James, Don Cheadle, Bugs Bunny, And More

NahaNago

This did get me thinking. Maybe they can use another sport. Baseball would be easy to do with the baseballs on fire and hitting it a homerun into space. Football is interesting when I think about special moves but defending against gigantic aliens seems impossible. The best one to do would be soccer. It's a more globally popular sport and it would be nice if they could use the players from other countries The only issue I can see is that it would be hard sell in the U.S. since I doubt the majority of Americans could name a current male soccer player. Then again this is looney tunes so using a female soccer player could work but again I still doubt most Americans know the more popular and succesful female soccer players. The best thing to do would be to use all 4 sports in one movie. An olympics game space jam would be fun as well.

edit: more on topic for this space jam I honestly have extremely low expectations for this movie. I'm sure that somehow in some way they are going to mess up this sequel.

Last edited:
Lola Bunny

What zoomer girl look like: space jam 1
What millennial women look like: space jan 2

Actually the new lola remind me of Slappy Squirrel from animaniacs

lgogAT2.png

RCU005

Ok. Honestly though, I think this is going to be absolute FIRE.

I mean this already has so many things going for it :

- Apparently around 160 to 180 million dollars went into the budget for this film, not counting the marketing costs
- The visuals look pretty stellar good god ( no surprise considering Industrial Light and Magic are handling the visual effects of the movie ), these are some poppin' colors we have here.
- The new jerseys honestly don't look that bad. The color scheme blends well with the overall look of the film.
- Regardless of what you think about LeBron James, he at the very least already has SOME experience in acting due to his appearance in the Trainwreck film and the animated movie Smallfoot. Sure, he's no DiCaprio, but I so far find him more promising than Jordan's acting.
- The 3D Bugs Bunny looks like a textbook example of how to turn a 2D design into 3D ( this looks so much better than the new Tom and Jerry movie ), and also love how they're still gonna use 2D animation as an aside, kind of like in the Spongebob Movie : Sponge Out of Water film where they are 2D in their world and 3D in the digital world.
- Don Cheadle as the villain ? Enough said
- The promise of having cameos from Mad Max, The Matrix, Casablanca, Wonder Woman, Hanna-Barbera characters, Joker, The Mask, Pennywise, Voldemort, and perhaps so much more... in a movie called Space Jam starring LeBron and the Looney Tunes ? Lmao
- The promise of the film taking a very meta approach to the exploitation of studio properties and operating of studio conglomerates similar to the first moments from the Back in Action movie ( a CRIMINALLY underrated film btw )
- The redesign of Lola Bunny which honestly doesn't matter much given how she had ZERO personality in the OG film and was more of a cardboard cutout of a character that would look good on selling t-shirts. I'm hoping her personality here is more akin to the zany Lola from the Looney Tunes Show.
- Ryan Coogler producing the movie after the successes of Black Panther and Judas and the Black Messiah among other things.

I don't know about you guys but, so far I say it's on par to become a far better attempt at being an actual movie than the first one will ever be. I'm so stoked for the trailer to come out hopefully very soon.

Heck, this might even be an better and more enjoyable crossover than the boring and visually muddy letdown that was Ready Player One !

I hope to god theaters will be reopened by then where I live to experience this glorious wild ride on the big screen, where it SHOULD be experienced.
100% agreed! I'm very optimistic about this movie. I remember going to the cinema to go watch the first one. I don't care about LeBron because I don't follow sports, and the Looney Tunes look amazing. Had they ruined them like they did the Thundercats and Teen Titans I would be pissed.

Last edited:
We all saw this coming

Teletraan1

Banned
Boobs aside since I don't really care about sexualized cartoon rabbits. Odd choice making Lola look less athletic and shorter for a basketball movie. If you did a composite of the average body type in the WNBA you would not end up with this modern Lola. She was supposed to be actually proficient at basketball and not a joke character. Giving bugs bunny a love interest with a pre teen body is also veering into some strange furry pedophile vibes. That's all folks.

Rickyiez

Been there and done this already. Original Space Jam is a part of the '90s that the 20's can't replicate. Plus Lebron James. Oof. He's no Michael Jordan.
LeBron has a goofier personality than MJ, wouldn't that be more suited for film like this?

StormCell

LeBron has a goofier personality than MJ, wouldn't that be more suited for film like this?

Honesty, I don't know how that is going to mesh. I never thought of Michael Jordan as being goofy at all, and it's precisely because of that majestic and serious personality of Michael Jordan that Space Jam works so well--it's the perfect blend of cartoon insanity meets '90s reality. It's sweet meets sour. The right contrast.

Lola debuff is funny. These people simply can't allow a single effeminate woman on screen. They have to get rid of any and all female characteristics.

Unless it's a man in drag, of course. Or an underage child wants to undergo puberty blockers. Then it's fine. Just go to town, lipstick and titties. But a cartoon bunny? That we take seriously.

Clown world.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I love the look of the cg looney tunes. They look textured while retaining their original look, similar to detective pikachu. This is gonna shine in 4k hdr. Also, its a cartoon rabbit...the fuck is wrong with some people? The original looked creepy af, like candy kong. I don’t need curvy cartoon animals.
Why are you so afraid of them though?

Space-Jam-Clockwork-Orange.png

see why they did this, Warner Bros. owns A Clockwork Orange. But LOL at introducing a new generation of kids to that movie while censoring Pepe LePew.

Last edited:
Well there you have it you frikkin' weirdos :messenger_sunglasses:

Space Jam: A New Legacy's director thinks y'all are "super weird" for mourning the loss of an over-sexualized Lola Bunny

When director Malcolm D. Lee signed on to Space Jam: A New Legacy, he knew he wanted to rework Lola Bunny’s “over-sexualized” form presented in the 1996 original. What he did not know is that it would bring on a sea of “super weird” discourse concerning the now-flat chest beneath Lola’s basketball jersey.

“I had no idea that people would be that up in arms about a bunny not having boobs,” Lee told Entertainment Weekly ahead of the film’s premiere on July 16.

“Listen, I understand people don’t want things to change, but I think we needed some evolution with her, not by objectifying her but by making her strong and still feminine.”

Billbofet

My six-year-old son was very excited to see this as he really enjoyed the first Space Jam.
This movie is aggressively awful. With all the pop culture references, it's like an episode of family guy minus any humor or nuance.

We still have another 45 minutes of this bullshit to wade through tonight. Worst part is my son LOVES it.

plushyp

It's a really bad sequel because unlike the first film where Michael was our POV character into the animated world, here Lebron is the main focus rather than the other way around. It just glorifies the guy and feels like a vanity project.

NahaNago

Finally saw it. I'm kinda mixed on it. The movie had some amusing moments to it but I got spoiled in a review earlier that probably would have made the movie more enjoyable if I had been surprised. The movie is way to long. Probably could have cut at least 20 minutes from the movie. Lebron's interaction with the toons was really weak in the movie. The movie was bad but I guess enjoyable.

YCoCg

The crack speed editing, in the space of TWO MINUTES we go through
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- Austin Powers
- Casablanca
- Rick & Morty

Pagusas

Elden Member
Finally saw it. I'm kinda mixed on it. The movie had some amusing moments to it but I got spoiled in a review earlier that probably would have made the movie more enjoyable if I had been surprised. The movie is way to long. Probably could have cut at least 20 minutes from the movie. Lebron's interaction with the toons was really weak in the movie. The movie was bad but I guess enjoyable.
If you are talking about the MJ part, not knowing about it adds nothing to the viewing experiance, and actually makes it a bit worse as for the briefest of moments you think "hey this might actually have a decent part" and instead basically ends up a microcosim of the whole film: A complete and utter disapointment, can't even remotely live up to expectations.

Last edited:

NahaNago

If you are talking about the MJ part, not knowing about it adds nothing to the viewing experiance, and actually makes it a bit worse as for the briefest of moments you think "hey this might actually have a decent part" and instead basically ends up a microcosim of the whole film: A complete and utter disapointment, can't even remotely live up to expectations.
I was referrring to the toons being in all of these warner movie franchises. Like seeing the granny in the matrix or lola in wonder woman without knowing about it would have been a lot more wow , I guess. Which MJ part are you talking about. They had like 3 parts that hinted at the last movie and the one that pretty much just trolled us with MJ. Yes, the movie was disappointing and didn't live anywhere near up to expectations but the movie was still somewhat enjoyable. Pretty much a one and done type deal.

Now that this movie is done I still want a version using either football , soccer, and throw in the olympics just for fun.

Last edited:

McCheese

It can't be worse than Tomorrow War.

I watched both (so you don't have to) and Space Jam 2 is easily the worse film. Lebron plays an unlikable dick because he cannot act so had to just be himself, the interesting Warner properties are just the crowd which look like cosplayers and distract you from the basket ball game, but the final kick in the teeth is they don't even play basket ball but instead play what a 60 year old movie exec thinks a videogame is, so the whole plot is built around this match that you can't really get into as they just make up the rules as they go along.

"1000 points down, oh whats this, they caught up because they just got 800 bonus style points because the granny did a fucking matrix parody" whooo, this game has zero fucking stakes!

Did I mention it's bad?

Last edited:
Top Bottom