• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT Launch of CRS-8. First Stage Ocean Landing Successful

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be great if more billionaires started investing their fortunes in projects like these. Hopefully Musk starts some kind of high tech arms race between the worlds elites.

It would be great if more billionaires started investing their fortunes in projects like these. Hopefully Musk starts some kind of high tech arms race between the worlds elites.

I didn't like how some commentators were decrying the twitter "battle" between Bezos and Musk a while back, with each side kinda throwing shade at the other.

To me, that kind of competitive spirit, with a side-dish of playful trash-talking, is exactly what you want. These kinds of guys aren't going to be discouraged and quit the race when somebody pushes ahead a bit. That's not what got them them to be rich in the first place. If anything, they are going to double-down on doing what it takes to compete.

cameron

^Nice. Almost forgot.

Youtube streams:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDh4uK9PvJU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX9I1KyNa8M

Dragon's arrival will also be a milestone.
With the arrival of Dragon, the space station will tie the record for most vehicles on station at one time – six – which hasn’t happened since 2011. Cygnus, two Soyuz and two Progress vehicles station are currently docked to the orbiting laboratory.

“When Dragon and Cygnus are docked next to each other on station for the first time, it will be a significant milestone for our partnerships with American companies to deliver cargo to the International Space Station,” said Kirk Shireman, NASA ISS Program manager. “Commercial resupply missions enable NASA, private industry and other government agencies to continue the extensive scientific research taking place aboard the space station.”
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/dragon-and-cygnus-to-meet-for-first-time-in-space

Edit: 🍁 Canada's Canadian Canadarm2, the Canadian Robotic Arm, is awesome. 🍁

Edit 2:
British ESA astronaut Tim Peake: "Looks like we caught a Dragon".
VbU5xyP.jpg

cameron

Any news about BEAM?

From the Q&A during the post launch news conference, Kirk Shireman (manager for International Space Station Program): BEAM will be installed 15/16th of this month (April). There's a certain period of thermal stabilization once it arrives. Inflation is probably not until the end of May, somewhere around the 25/26th of May.

More in the link. Starts at ~28:58: https://youtu.be/Nz60GcmKOvc?t=1738

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I only saw this today. Top-notch rocketry, gentlemen.

Jezbollah

Just an FYI. We have two Falcon 9 launches in one week coming up:

F9-024, JC-SAT14 going to GTO, launching from CC LC40 - currently scheduled for 28th April

F9-025, Eutelsat 117W B & ABS 2A going to GTO, launching from CC LC40, currently scheduled for 3rd May

As these are both GTO (Geostationary transfer orbit) it'll likely mean another ballistic (no boostback) high energy return for Falcon 9 (like SES-9) so they will attempt to land on a drone ship but the likelihood of success is small.

The next good chance of a booster landing will be F9-026 (Formosat-5/SHERPA) launching from VAFB SLC-4E, meaning Just Read The Instructions might get in on the Landing Party.

FirewalkR

As these are both GTO (Geostationary transfer orbit) it'll likely mean another ballistic (no boostback) high energy return for Falcon 9 (like SES-9) so they will attempt to land on a drone ship but the likelihood of success is small.

Thing is we don't really know what happened last time, other than the fact that OCISLY was damaged. They didn't show footage, likely to avoid yet another round of dumbass articles by the mainstream media (and some well known tech-blogs that should know better) claiming SpaceX failed again, completely disregarding the much greater difficulty of landing after a GTO mission with no boostback burn.

We only know they tried a 3-engine burn (and just one burn, I believe) that must have begun as late as possible, and judging from the brightness variations in the video feed just before we lost it, it didn't seem to be coming in _that_ fast. Perhaps they were closer than people think and could just be a matter of starting the burn earlier, if possible... I guess we'll find out. Hopefully they can grab one of those two. :)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
shoot, just looking at the strut legs, those things are a good 3-5 feet in diameter. Basically telephone polls.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Can't even call a bargey looking thing a barge without these science (aka the art of flip flopping) fanboys shoving Muskianism down my gullet. Anyways great job landing yer noodle on whatever that boat thinger is called.

God damn I love boats.

nomis

Can't even call a bargey looking thing a barge without these science (aka the art of flip flopping) fanboys shoving Muskianism down my gullet. Anyways great job landing yer noodle on whatever that boat thinger is called.

God damn I love boats.

Musk retweeted a Grasshopper/F9 history supercut video that called the ASDS a "barge" repeatedly. I don't think he or most of his fanboys for that matter give a shit, it was one dude.

Jezbollah

Good afternoon all.

SPACEX LAUNCH AGAIN TOMORROW :D

They have an 80% weather chance to launch JCSAT-14 tomorrow morning for SKY Perfect JSAT Corp. Site will once again be CC LC40.

The launch window is May 5, 2016, 05:22–07:22 UTC and it will be going to GTO (Geostationary Transfer Orbit). This means a ballistic re-entry (no boostback) for our Falcon 9FT in an attempt to land the first stage on ASDS "Of Course I Still Love You".

It's a high speed, high energy re-entry for F9, much like the SES9 mission that ended up punching a hole in the deck of OCISLY.

If they nail the landing it will be IMMENSE.

mcfrank

Good afternoon all.

SPACEX LAUNCH AGAIN TOMORROW :D

They have an 80% weather chance to launch JCSAT-14 tomorrow morning for SKY Perfect JSAT Corp. Site will once again be CC LC40.

The launch window is May 5, 2016, 05:22–07:22 UTC and it will be going to GTO (Geostationary Transfer Orbit). This means a ballistic re-entry (no boostback) for our Falcon 9FT in an attempt to land the first stage on ASDS "Of Course I Still Love You".

It's a high speed, high energy re-entry for F9, much like the SES9 mission that ended up punching a hole in the deck of OCISLY.

If they nail the landing it will be IMMENSE.

From CA or FL? Edit never mind - CC = The cape.

Looking forward to the stream. The people at SpaceX make it sound like they're watching their favourite team win the Superbowl. Great atmosphere at that company.

Goddam, these guys Elon launching rockets every other week now?!

In the future, possibly. They have two launches scheduled for May, and three for June, at the moment... We'll see how many actually hit that schedule, but things are looking bright for SpaceX.

Jezbollah

In the future, possibly. They have two launches scheduled for May, and three for June, at the moment... We'll see how many actually hit that schedule, but things are looking bright for SpaceX.

Between upcoming launches and the returned cores from Orbcomm and CRS-8, SpaceX have something like 6 Falcon 9FTs in Florida right now.

Between upcoming launches and the returned cores from Orbcomm and CRS-8, SpaceX have something like 6 Falcon 9FTs in Florida right now.

They haven't officially announced when a first stage will be re-used for the first time, have they? I think they had mentioned the CRS-8 first stage might be re-used in June, but I haven't heard more specifics since...

fallout

They haven't officially announced when a first stage will be re-used for the first time, have they? I think they had mentioned the CRS-8 first stage might be re-used in June, but I haven't heard more specifics since...
I'm really looking forward to this happening. In my mind, it's the ultimate test of this process.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Fantastic!

The turnaround on repair and refuel on each rocket booster is what again? Two months?

Crispy75

We're in uncharted territory now. It takes as long as it takes, and then that time should start to drop.

They're going to need a new hanger soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom