• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Launch: SES-10. Reusability is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crispy75

The EM drive, if it does work as the experiments suggest it does (and suggest is putting it rather strongly) will be no use for getting off the planet's surface. The thrust is incredibly low, and you absolutely must have thrust:weight greater than 1 to get into space.

Once in space, it's a different matter, and it would be revolutionary.

Tuber

An aside when discussing how to get things into orbit, how thrust works in atmosphere and out, etc.: Despite being obsessed with science my whole life, I never really got orbital mechanics and the logistics of space travel until I played Kerbal Space Program.

Putting time into that game also makes me incredibly appreciative of the task of launching something into orbit and landing the first stage after delivering the payload. Just incredible.

Kerbin is vastly easier to reach a stable orbit from than Earth is too!

Mindlog

Not yet.
Launch window: 2227-0057 GMT (6:27-8:57 p.m. EDT)
An aside when discussing how to get things into orbit, how thrust works in atmosphere and out, etc.: Despite being obsessed with science my whole life, I never really got orbital mechanics and the logistics of space travel until I played Kerbal Space Program.

Putting time into that game also makes me incredibly appreciative of the task of launching something into orbit and landing the first stage after delivering the payload. Just incredible.

Kerbin is vastly easier to reach a stable orbit from than Earth is too!
My favorite piece of Edutainment since the RC-Drone car games. Fantastic 5/5 would recommend and invite it over for a BBQ.

Hope for another successful mission tonight.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The EM drive, if it does work as the experiments suggest it does (and suggest is putting it rather strongly) will be no use for getting off the planet's surface. The thrust is incredibly low, and you absolutely must have thrust:weight greater than 1 to get into space.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/nasa-measures-impossible-em-thrust-how-big-a-deal-is-this

They really haven't proved anything. It's so close to anomaly hunting.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤

I just can't get over how needlessly controversial this whole thing is.

It's bordering on denial. My god!

White and his team really need to get around to reproducing the Townsend-Brown cellular gravitator as described in the 1929 eek! paper. The results would blow their fucking minds.

Instead, White’s team suggests the device may work instead by pushing off the “quantum vacuum”, meaning the sea of virtual particles that fill even empty space.

well.gif

---

OMG we have gone way off topic. So I will shut the fuck up. Best wishes Space X!

DBT85

I doubt the viability of this. Re-using the rockets probably involves some parts being repaired or replaced each time, and the more it's reused the higher the risks and potential costs.

Still think that filling up a tube with fuel and igniting it to lift things in space isn't the right way to do things. We need to find a new way to lift stuff.

Are you a rocket engineer?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Yeah, it's more useful for long distances. It accelerates slowly but continually, meaning that in a year you're travelling very fast indeed.

andycapps

Exactly, you'll still need rockets to get into a vacuum where something like that would help. That's if it ever exists outside of a lab.

DBT85

Huh. I honestly thought they'd be one of the cheapest expendable launch components, to be honest.

Still a composite the size of a bus so its not going to be cheap. The question as always is, is it cheaper to keep making new ones or cheaper to spend the fuel required to add chutes or whatever other recovery hardware to them and then recover.

Par Score

Wow.

I think that might be the first time SpaceX have confirmed an eventual same-day target for reuseability.

That would be absolutely nuts.

Lenz44

Banned
Let's do this SpaceX I've been watching since the beginning tests so it's awesome to see how far they have come!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom