• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 has surpassed 10 million units sold, bringing the game series sales to an astounding 50 million units

sm222.PNG

Last edited:

H-I-M

Meanwhile in that other thread :

I told people they wouldn't hit 25 million units for the calendar year and that Spider-Man while performing well, probably isn't to expectations.

They had to bundle Spider-Man 2 with the PS5 which they probably didn't want to do at cost and they're now discounting the PS5 in Europe.

They're operating income was already impacted by discounts in North America (discount being a PS5 bundled with Spider-Man). They didn't need to do this in Europe during the holidays because they knew they had Microsoft beat.

@James Sawyer Ford and @Mr.Phoenix thoughts?

I said it was clear that Spider-Man 2 wouldn't perform well enough to push the PS5 to 25 million. It wasn't even close.

@onQ123 thoughts?

They're selling the PS5 at a loss due to the bundle with Spider-Man 2.
Spider-Man 2's operating income is going to be significantly lower than other 1st party titles and the game didn't sell nearly as well as it needed to, as I mentioned 3 months ago, especially with the bundle.

They were expecting the unreasonable demand to continue for the PS5, but games like FF16 really underperformed as did Spider-Man 2. Then you had games canceled that they probably thought would come out this in the calendar year like TLOU Online.

brigitte-nielsen.gif.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I really wish I had put the money towards BG3 instead. I loved the combat and visuals (outside of that one cave person). But everything else was so cookie cutter. I really hope they do something special with 3. That is no way a day 1 purchase for me, if it’s just more of the same.

Damigos

I am playing through it right now. Played about 14 hours. The first half is meh, the second half is awesome.

Meanwhile in that other thread :

brigitte-nielsen.gif.

Where did I say the game sold less than 10 million copies? You have a comprehension issue.

For context God of War Ragnarok hit 11 million units by Feb 1 23. It released Nov 9th. Spider-Man released October 20th and has only hit 10 miillion units as of Feb 14th.

Sony would have hoped Spider-Man 2 to sell better than Ragnarok even without it being on PS4 and yet it hasn't, it's short by a million even with more time and a much heavier bundle (Spider-Man 2 is bundled for no additional cost while Ragnarok was bundled for 60 dollars more iirc).

That OP is awful though... someone should do a proper one.

You're not wrong. Context matters a lot. They missed their targets and margins were slim, but they still had a good quarter, and they're still having a good year.

There seems to be a contingent of sony haters and hyperbolic sony fanboys here who aren't really objective.

PS5 is still going to outsell the PS4.

Sony first party is still outperforming their performance on PS3 and PS4 at this point in those product life cycles. That fact means they're also outperforming PS1 and PS2 software development as well.

That's not even mentioning Sony's strategy with 2nd party and 3rd party exclusives or timed exclusives.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm getting 'Sony shot themselves in the foot' vibes from the whole thread
Yeah, poorly made thread with, of course, plenty of posts totally not in tune with reality. Particularly that Spider- Man 2 missed a target of sorts.

Anyway, only surprising thing for me is how much Sony’s going to miss their target by. I expected about 24 mill. But then, what they will do is still one of the best results for a console ever, so there’s certainly nothing to “worry” about.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I really loved the first game, but man, the second one was terrible. It was a huge improvement gameplay-wise and had some fantastic action moments, but I didn't liked the story, the direction of the character arcs, how same'y everything have felt and small variety of enemies

midnightAI

Spider-Man is a bigger franchise than God of War.

Receipts are common sense.
Doesn't matter, 140 million potential customers (God of War) versus 50 million potential customers (Spider Man 2)

Numbers are more common sense

Over 10 million sales to 50 million potential customers is extremely good conversion rate for games

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
God of war still released to a much bigger audience. Spider-Man 2 released to less 117M consoles.

Imagine trying to undermine 10M games sold in like 3 months or less lmao
Indeed.

For context, it took the first game 11 months to reach 13.2 million. This game is clearly selling faster and should meet and exceed the first game’s final number.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
spiderman indeed sold better than GOW

But the thing here is, Sony does not own spiderman game IP. So that explains the ridiculous dev cost.

Little Mac

I bought the PS5 Slim Spider-man 2 bundle a few months ago and just Platinum'd the first Spider-man Remastered game. It was a little bloated with all the side stuff but a great experience nonetheless. I honestly didn't think I'd like it as much as I did and after getting the platinum in Astro's Playroom, I've become a huge fan of the PS5. Last time I was able to say that about a PS console was PS2. Now I'm playing through The Last of Us Part 1 and then either Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima, or Miles Morales before Spider-man 2 (Help me decide!!!). Regardless, I'm eating good fam.

Last edited:
God of war still released to a much bigger audience. Spider-Man 2 released to less 117M consoles.

Imagine trying to undermine 10M games sold in like 3 months or less lmao

That's not exactly how it works.

Sony isn't selling God of War to 117 million consoles. They're selling to a specific audience that wants a game like God of War. There is no surprise that God of War Ragnarok sold similarly to God of War. It's the same audience.

And the telemetry there suggests for Sony that they could make up the sales and push PS5s with Spider-Man 2. That there were no other major games released at the time was also an advantage for Spider-Man 2.

It's not about undermining it. It's just to say that the PS5 wasn't going to sell 25 million units based on the pace Spider-Man 2 was selling. But you keep laughing your ass off...

That's not exactly how it works.

Sony isn't selling God of War to 117 million consoles. They're selling to a specific audience that wants a game like God of War. There is no surprise that God of War Ragnarok sold similarly to God of War. It's the same audience.

And the telemetry there suggests for Sony that they could make up the sales and push PS5s with Spider-Man 2. That there were no other major games released at the time was also an advantage for Spider-Man 2.

It's not about undermining it. It's just to say that the PS5 wasn't going to sell 25 million units based on the pace Spider-Man 2 was selling. But you keep laughing your ass off...
If you expected that to happen that sounds like a you problem.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
An expectation is sandwiched into a prediction. Who predicts what they don't expect?

I don't expect the Sun to rise tomorrow, I predict that it will though! Huh?

:p

Mr Moose

Where did I say the game sold less than 10 million copies? You have a comprehension issue.

For context God of War Ragnarok hit 11 million units by Feb 1 23. It released Nov 9th. Spider-Man released October 20th and has only hit 10 miillion units as of Feb 14th.

Sony would have hoped Spider-Man 2 to sell better than Ragnarok even without it being on PS4 and yet it hasn't, it's short by a million even with more time and a much heavier bundle (Spider-Man 2 is bundled for no additional cost while Ragnarok was bundled for 60 dollars more iirc).
How? There was over 110 million PS4s at the time. Spider-Man 2 sold to around 20% of PS5 owners.

Gexxy1

Does this include Ps5 bundles? I got it for free with that, despite having no intention of ever playing it lol

How? There was over 110 million PS4s at the time. Spider-Man 2 sold to around 20% of PS5 owners.

That's not how game sales work, especially on playstation.

Ask yourself why no PlayStation game sells 80 million copies. The overall size of the PS4 userbase is somewhat unimportant and ignores a lot of factors about who is actively buying games on PS4 at the time and what games they are buying.

AJUMP23

Tentpole franchise for PS.

I did not think the second half of the game was that strong, but it was a fun game. Mary Jane and most of the characters were insufferable. I will probably not get Spiderman 3. But I did get a ps5 with this game packed in, so it moved a console for me.

Is that even true? The post, which includes all the SM titles mentions the sales by Dec 31st. Could have a couple more weeks of sales not reported. Not sure how many that would be, but still.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So is this a big success? I mean compared to other success games like TLOU2...

Fake

Did the first Spider-Man hit 10 million this soon? Because we know it took 11 months for it to sell 13.2 million and SM2 will do that sooner for sure.

Was the first Spider-Man started with PS5 bundles? And the legs will be probably higher because PS4 had already a higher install base than PS5.

Valedix

It's a fine Spiderman game just wish they brought more and didn't cut back on the gadgets. I beat the main story in like 20 hrs and that sponsored Miles suit for the last boss fight left a sour taste.

Jaybe

Got this bundled with my PS5 slim in November. I enjoyed the combat, but the Sweety Baby Inc influenced writing, and neutered Peter were a letdown and I have no interest in a playthrough or subsequent games with how insomniac want to focus on Miles now. If they release a free combat focused add-on I may fire it back up, but have zero interest in NG+.

Alebrije

Good , Guess Batman from Rocksteady and Spiderman from Insomniac are the only two superhero successfull videogame franchises theses days

Is that even true? The post, which includes all the SM titles mentions the sales by Dec 31st. Could have a couple more weeks of sales not reported. Not sure how many that would be, but still.

Conflicting wording. It said as of today it sold 10 million copies but it says 50 million as of dec 31st for the franchise. The way I took that is that the franchise hit 50 million at the end of the year but the latest game hit 10 million just recently.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Just a silly comment. I HATE IT that this is where we are in our economic system. Where Thing 2 has to sell more than thing 1 just have because it came out 2nd. You act as if God of War isn't a huge global brand. To reframe the discussion of 10 million sold in 3 months as bad and undermining it is HORRIBLE!

It generated close to $700 million in 3 months!!! Nobody looks a that and thinks it's even close to bad.

Top Bottom