• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Celebrates As Octopath Traveler II Ships 1 Million Units

Draugoth

Gold Member
Taking to Twitter via the official Octopath PR account, the publisher has shared some brand new art from the game's lead artist Tatsuaki Urushihara featuring Osvald, Ochette, and Throné.

The Octopath team shared its thanks on the social media platforming, thanking fans for their support:

" #OctopathTraveler2 has surpassed one million units shipped and downloaded worldwide!
We are truly grateful for your support!
Tatsuaki Urushihara has created this commemorative artwork inspired Ochette and Throné discussing "if their wishes came true" while journeying together."

For context, 2018's Octopath Traveler was originally a Switch exclusive, and it shipped 1 million units in around three weeks (it's now sold over 3 million units as of September 2022). Octopath Traveler II, unlike its predecessor, was released on PC, PS4, and PS5 on the same day as the Switch version.

feynoob

Banned
It's a multiplatform game.
You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

At 1mil I'm sure a HD-2D game which has built upon the success of the 1st game would be very profitable. So of course they'd be happy.
I was referencing an old meme that I can't find anymore, so I recreated it to the best of my memory.
7ok7t6.jpg

There are roughly 261 million consoles alone that can play this game (125m Switch, 117m PS4, 19m PS5), and this game can run on virtually any PC. 1 million sales in 4 months is dogshit.

Oberstein

I really wish Triangle Strategy had sold as many copies as Octopath 1...

This second episode rectifies many of the flaws of the first, but the format is beginning to bore many players.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well deserved, this game was so fucking good! I don’t see this game ever win or get nominated in mainstream GOTY shows but it BETTER win soundtrack of the year.

Nautilus

Banned
Eh, dissapointed by this result.

Should note that its still a good number for what it is, and it is a young IP. But the first game did 1 million in 3 weeks, while the second now took a bit more than three months. I fully expect OT 2 to have legs, but this result is dissapointing, especially considering OT 2 is a better game in every regard.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I was referencing an old meme that I can't find anymore, so I recreated it to the best of my memory.
7ok7t6.jpg

There are roughly 261 million consoles alone that can play this game (125m Switch, 117m PS4, 19m PS5), and this game can run on virtually any PC. 1 million sales in 4 months is dogshit.

LOL!!!! I'm assuming this game cost less to make than the $100m Avengers game.

Woopah

7ok7t6.jpg

Comparing the sales of a game to sales of hardware never makes sense. It doesn't work like that

KellyM

Finally, got the game on the Switch when it when on sale last month. payed $40.00 for the game.

Eh, dissapointed by this result.

Should note that its still a good number for what it is, and it is a young IP. But the first game did 1 million in 3 weeks, while the second now took a bit more than three months. I fully expect OT 2 to have legs, but this result is dissapointing, especially considering OT 2 is a better game in every regard.
There he goes again telling us why he's disappointed in very selective sales results, like someone cares.

Go_Ly_Dow

7ok7t6.jpg

I get your point, but their Western games cost a lot more to make, higher dev costs etc.. so naturally they wanted higher sales. I'm glad they sold of the Eidos side to just focus on the Japanese side now.

Fbh

Seems decent for the type of game.
Didn't like the first one enough to get the second one but I'm glad more classic JRPG's still have a decent audience.

Wow, so they really are still happy with middling sales as long as it's a Japanese studio.

I honestly think they should sell games like this and Triangle Strategy for a lower price, maybe $40.
I know I'll get quoted by people saying they enjoyed this more than any AAA game and to them the price is justified, but that's not the point. I think the average customers sees a retro looking 2D game going for the same price as Elden Ring or R4R or $10 less than FFXVI and it's like "nah".

I did buy Triangle Strategy at launch and I did enjoy it a lot more than many AAA games. But even so the price never felt truly justified, aside from the full voice acting I actually found a game like Chained Echoes (made primarily by 1 guy and selling for $25) to have better production values with more an WAY bigger locations, more enemy variety, more sprite variety, etc.

This actually makes me very happy. I thought the game undeservedly bombed (it wasn’t doing so hot in Japan at launch).

1 million before sales have even started probably means the game was profitable enough!

I don’t use this word often but the game is a genuine masterpiece. As someone who’s been playing most jrpgs since the mid 90’s this could very likely be my fave one and is undoubtedly in my top 3 of all time.

Been following the composer’s daily updates on how he came up with each song too and that’s also been a joy.

Play Octopath Traveller II.

Nautilus

Banned
Seems decent for the type of game.
Didn't like the first one enough to get the second one but I'm glad more classic JRPG's still have a decent audience.

I honestly think they should sell games like this and Triangle Strategy for a lower price, maybe $40.
I know I'll get quoted by people saying they enjoyed this more than any AAA game and to them the price is justified, but that's not the point. I think the average customers sees a retro looking 2D game going for the same price as Elden Ring or R4R or $10 less than FFXVI and it's like "nah".

I did buy Triangle Strategy at launch and I did enjoy it a lot more than many AAA games. But even so the price never felt truly justified, aside from the full voice acting I actually found a game like Chained Echoes (made primarily by 1 guy and selling for $25) to have better production values with more an WAY bigger locations, more enemy variety, more sprite variety, etc.
I liked Chained Echoes, but that's not true at all.

Anyway, the price isn't the issue. The first one sold almost 1.5 million copies almost at full price(And it is at 3.5 million to date, most sales done over time), and now the second did 1 million with barely any sales. So clearly the price isn't the issue. You could say, and you would be correct, that the first game rode in the newness of it all. But I think the reason the second game is underperforming(and not bombing, mind you) is that it was too similar in pretty much everything to the first game, even if it is an improvement over everything the first game did.

For OT 3, they really need to differenciate itself from the previous entries, without losing its core identity: Make the starting classes and even the advanced ones different types; make the game be set in a more futuristic setting, or in a steam punk one; put different systems in place, either in progression or combat, while still being turn based, etc.

Fbh

I liked Chained Echoes, but that's not true at all.

Anyway, the price isn't the issue. The first one sold almost 1.5 million copies almost at full price(And it is at 3.5 million to date, most sales done over time), and now the second did 1 million with barely any sales. So clearly the price isn't the issue. You could say, and you would be correct, that the first game rode in the newness of it all. But I think the reason the second game is underperforming(and not bombing, mind you) is that it was too similar in pretty much everything to the first game, even if it is an improvement over everything the first game did.

For OT 3, they really need to differenciate itself from the previous entries, without losing its core identity: Make the starting classes and even the advanced ones different types; make the game be set in a more futuristic setting, or in a steam punk one; put different systems in place, either in progression or combat, while still being turn based, etc.

Not true at all?
What about Triangle Strategy felt like it justified costing Twice as much as Chained Echoes? Aside from having full voice acting I can't think of anything.
Chained Echoes has way bigger explorable areas, more environmental variety, more enemy variety, more bosses, more mechanics and around the same completion time..

Also 1 million is solid but isn't an amazing result these days, even Bayonetta 3 sold that much on Switch alone and that's never been a particularly strong selling franchise.

Nautilus

Banned
Not true at all?
What about Triangle Strategy felt like it justified costing Twice as much as Chained Echoes? Aside from having full voice acting I can't think of anything.
Chained Echoes has way bigger explorable areas, more environmental variety, more enemy variety, more bosses, more mechanics and around the same completion time..

Also 1 million is solid but isn't an amazing result these days, even Bayonetta 3 sold that much on Switch alone and that's never been a particularly strong selling franchise.
Never said it was an amazing result, just go look at my previous posts.

First of all, a game's worth, at least to a company, isn't easily measured. If we go by your measure, Undertale puts to shame a lot of games, being just 10 dollars and all. But regarding Square games in particular: All HD 2D games have infinitely better graphics, that are more detailed. OT 2 combat system and exploration are far more rewarding.And they are 3D games, even if they use pixel art.

Plus, 2D HD games were made by teams of dozens, if not hundreds of devs. To get OT look is not easy, and the cost needs to be made up somewhere.

Personally speaking, I liked Chained Echoes, but all HD 2D games(Haven't played Live a Live though) are better than Chained Echoes, hands down.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Honestly I think the next game might do better if they drop the whole separate storyline thing. Doing 8 intros for the characters was a bit of a slog, but the game really picked up after that for me.
To me 2nd game did better job with intro chapter for each characters especially for Osvald and Throné.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
7ok7t6.jpg

If number of sales to number of useable consoles is your metric, then why the shit aren't games like GoW Ragnarok and Horizon selling 30-50 million within that time frame?

See how retarded your mindset is?

Top Bottom