• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix president pens letter highlighting interest in NFT and Metaverse amongst other things

Aion002

Angry Jingle All The Way GIF

YukiOnna

With how they implemented it for their Million Arthur franchise, it doesn't seem like it's going to replace or intrude on any of their existing IP's so it is what it is. He seems to just restate what was in the quarterly report where traditional games and blockchain games won't ever replace each other. It sucks to invest in it, but I'd rather that be the outcome.

SLB1904

Banned
Gamers: we don't want this
Publishers: yes you do.

I'm looking at you Sony you cunts. You did great last gen without microtransaction crap. Don't get ideas

Zannegan

And to think, I had such high hopes for this gen.
So everyone is just close-minded now huh? Meanwhile I’ve been coding next-gen XR for a year now
"Cynical" (based on 2+ gens of wallet milking) might be a better way to put it. For the record, I think there's potential to do neat things gameplay-wise with unique, player-created items; I've read Reamde, for one thing. That said, with the way publishers are approaching/talking about it and their history of abusing everything from preorder bonuses to lootboxes, can you really blame gamers for their collective reaction?

Anyway, I hope your project is both non-exploitative and massively successful. Someone has to lead the way. Best of luck in 2020-2.

Last edited:

hlm666

Does this shit waste as much power as general crypto mining. If so how in the hell is this sustainable, do these companies need to run mining servers to make this work? do they think they can just slot hash mining code in their games and throw the cost of that onto the paying user aswell?

I realize that some people who "play to have fun" and who currently form the majority of players have voiced their reservations toward these new trends, and understandably so. However, I believe that there will be a certain number of people whose motivation is to "play to contribute," by which I mean to help make the game more exciting. Traditional gaming has offered no explicit incentive to this latter group of people, who were motivated strictly by such inconsistent personal feelings as goodwill and volunteer spirit. This fact is not unrelated to the limitations of existing UGC (user-generated content). UGC has been brought into being solely because of individuals' desire for self-expression and not because any explicit incentive existed to reward them for their creative efforts. I see this as one reason that there haven't been as many major game-changing content that were user generated as one would expect.

2022 has just started and we already have a contender for the stupidest quote of the year.

You can’t run from NFT but you can ignore it as usual.

NFTs aren't like MTXs that you can ignore.

Their inclusion in any game at all will mean the entire game's system, e.g. the entire loot system, will be designed around NFTs.

So in a fantasy RPG, the highest end, rarest possible loot, will not be available to every player simply by playing the game. They will be hidden behind NFTs that players will have to trade with each other for real money.

Please tell me how you can just ignore something like is described above and still get the full enjoyment out of a game?... Protip: you actually can't.

Last edited:
Fuck the future of gaming.
NFTs aren't the future of gaming.

The only folks pushing this are deceitful folks very likely already deeply invested with their own financial interests in this financial scam of a system. And just like every other pyramid-scheme-like scam, early adopters only make money by the number of new entrants into the scheme. So they who are pushing this farce are doing so only because there's a direct financial benefit to themselves and they want to access this benefit at your own expense.

Don't be a mug. Don't believe their lies.

reksveks

This is a company already with a mmo that has resources restricted by digital scarcity so them getting into NFTs actually isn't that surprising.

Vognerful

For people that had no problem paying +10usd for game upgrades and missing feature, I don't know how you can complain.

HarryKS

Like it or not, blockchain technologies are here to stay.
NFTs, Crypto currency, Metaverse, We look to be on the cusp of Web 3.0
Keep thinking it's gonna happen. That Web 3.0 naming is pure marketing drivel. It makes absolutely no sense and fixes no existing problems beyond being in vogue. Just enough that people who misunderstand it get on the ride for free publicity.

mortal

Gold Member
Keep thinking it's gonna happen. That Web 3.0 naming is pure marketing drivel. It makes absolutely no sense and fixes no existing problems beyond being in vogue. Just enough that people who misunderstand it get on the ride for free publicity.
You can call it whatever you want really. The naming it not what's important, it's what it represents.
I'm not talking about fixing anyone's problems. There is a paradigm shift taking place, and the internet of 2030s will not be the same internet of today, for better or worse.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Square and Ubi are the worst big publishers so not surprised to see those 2 jump first at NFTs.

That said NFTs are not inherently bad. CSGO/TF2 items marketplace have been around forever and are very similar conceptually.

Griffon

Governments need to put their feet down on this.

This shit looks like gambling and hard drugs before there were laws to limit/regulate those harmful things.

Top Bottom