• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSMS: Every single person at Santa Monica Studio is working to create a game that we're proud of,one that we hope you will enjoy playing once released

What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

I think what he’s saying is if they announce the date closer to release it means they are confident it will release on that date. Like what they did with God of War for example. So announcing a date extremely early doesn’t mean anything like with what happened with Horizon Forbidden West for example which got delayed to early this year.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I think what he’s saying is if they announce the date closer to release it means they are confident it will release on that date. Like what they did with God of War for example. So announcing a date extremely early doesn’t mean anything like with what happened with Horizon Forbidden West for example which got delayed to early this year.
Announcing a date in advance doesn't equate confidence. For example :
IpU341p.png

Lol guys bringing up starfield...

Now thats a reach....

I mean yeah I guess but that kinda proves my point, everything getting delayed. So thanks?

Warnen

I actually used Horizon Forbidden West as an example not Starfield. Also it really doesn’t prove that everything’s getting delayed when publishers have announced release dates shortly before launch.

Maybe you just don't look at the post I'm quoting before you but in and try to answer for them. I didn't get what Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ referencing. I was pointing out you were wrong.

BTW god of war already missed its date so really a moot point on that train of logic.

Last edited:
Maybe you just don't look at the post I'm quoting before you but in and try to answer for them. I didn't get what Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ referencing. I was pointing out you were wrong.

BTW god of war already missed its date so really a moot point on that train of logic.

What date?

I wasn’t aware that one was announced. And if we are talking about the first one it’s release date was given a couple of months before release. I’d say give the devs a chance to pull that off before saying it’s been delayed.

Warnen

What date?

I wasn’t aware that one was announced. And if we are talking about the first one it’s release date was given a couple of months before release. I’d say give the devs a chance to pull that off before saying it’s been delayed.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Lol guys bringing up starfield...

Now thats a reach....

I mean yeah I guess but that kinda proves my point, everything getting delayed. So thanks?

Dude, you said "If they were confident about a date we would know it by now."

I can give a thousand examples of games who had release dates and were delayed.

In fact, that's how delays work :
  1. Dev announces release date
  2. Dev doesn't meet that release date --> The game is delayed

It isn't rare that the release date is announced 3 months before release.

Just take the L and move on

Like the first game.

Announced in January release in April.

Same could happen with this title but I agree that nothings confirmed yet.

Warnen

I mean you are saying exactly what I said just adding a random 3 month time line onto it.

It takes longer then 3 month to set up a marketing blitz for a major release, god of war isn’t an indie game that doesn’t need it.

Game is 4 months ish out right now? So 4 weeks difference in out views and I gotta take the L?

Last edited:
I mean you are saying exactly what I said just adding a random 3 month time line onto it.

It takes longer then 3 month to set up a marketing blitz for a major release, god of war isn’t an indie game that doesn’t need it.

Game is 4 months ish out right now? So 4 weeks difference in out views and I gotta take the L?

Well if they announce it in July for example they would have around 4 months for marketing.

Either way they have to announce it soon. We shouldn’t have to wait much longer.

Edit: A quick history lesson Forbidden Wests delay was announced in August. That game had a target release for the holidays much like GoW.

It’s why I believe we will hear something soon.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Such a weird headline. LOL

One of those no shit, Sherlock things. What else are they going to say, "Hey we are all working on games you'll hate and we're embarrassed by, FYI".

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
In my opinion they could have avoided all of this controversial stuff if didn't announced their game so early.

At VERY least they shouldn't have put this in teaser knowing they wont able make the date.
GaKiRCy.png

Still this doesn't excuse how most fans acted toward the devs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What is this in response to? I don't follow Twitter drama.
Last week a woman who works at Sony making GOW was getting pestered to divulge the release date of the game. She claimed people were sending her PMs of dick pics hoping she'd tell everyone the release date.

So the response (assumption) is to make their employees feel better from social media crazies.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Last week a woman who works at Sony making GOW was getting pestered to divulge the release date of the game. She claimed people were sending her PMs of dick pics hoping she'd tell everyone the release date.

So the response (assumption) is to make their employees feel better from social media crazies.

Ah yeah, I did hear about that, didn't make the connection. People are dumb.

proandrad

Well if they announce it in July for example they would have around 4 months for marketing.

Either way they have to announce it soon. We shouldn’t have to wait much longer.

Edit: A quick history lesson Forbidden Wests delay was announced in August. That game had a target release for the holidays much like GoW.

It’s why I believe we will hear something soon.

They can literally announce the game is coming out next week and it will still sell millions. There is no rule/law for marketing a video game and to be honest marketing teams are the ones that push for a release windows so they can squeeze as much money as possible from the publisher. Marketing teams are not incentivize to care whether a game is finished or not.

ClosBSAS

Does every tweet require a thread? Could have added to the other thread.

Bah humbug
Very ironic that you can't click on the ignore button for the threads u want to ignore...let ppl talk about a fucking tweet without you jumping out of your seat maybe...

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Id rather the game comes out finished when its ready. Im not a fan of developers announcing unrealistic release dates just to uncerimoniously delay them two months later, and im also not a fan of this trend of “release it now, finish it later”. I.e the halo infinite and cyberpunk method. So far ssm has been good at not giving any specific dates so they dont need to delay anything, like microsoft and Bethesda just had to. And they dont need to plan some damage control road map because they pushed an incomplete game out the door

GymWolf

Fiuuu thanks for this, for a moment i was in fear that they were doing the opposite like any studio who doesn't post these type of tweets...

Last edited:
In my opinion they could have avoided all of this controversial stuff if didn't announced their game so early.

At VERY least they shouldn't have put this in teaser knowing they wont able make the date.
GaKiRCy.png

Most fans? Come on.

If anything most people were already assuming the game was going to be delayed to 2023 until SSM started to make public declarations about it being a 2022 game and then leakers using that to rile people up.

It also doesn't help how Sony has been so secretive about everything this gen in a way that is very out of character to them compared to how they were in the early PS4 days.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Most fans? Come on.

If anything most people were already assuming the game was going to be delayed to 2023 until SSM started to make public declarations about it being a 2022 game and then leakers using that to rile people up.

It also doesn't help how Sony has been so secretive about everything this gen in a way that is very out of character to them compared to how they were in the early PS4 days.
I'm not excusing Sony, they kind of did this to themselves but that doesn't excuse those fans acting stupid about it.

I'm not excusing Sony, they kind of did this to themselves but that doesn't excuse those fans acting stupid about it.
No one is making excuses to anyone sending devs dick pics (I hope) but who even know who these people are anyway? Or how many people did that?

SSM blowing it out of proportion is a terrible look regardless, makes me wonder if I should be as confident in this game being great as I am right now.

Last edited:

Danjin44

No one is making excuses to anyone sending devs dick pics (I hope). Who know who these people are anyway? SSM blowing it out of proportion is a terrible look, makes me wonder if I should be as confident in this game being great as I am right now.
Like I said in my original post, SSM could have avoided all this controversial BS if they just shut their mouth and announce the date when it was ready to be announced.

SafeOrAlone

Banned

GaKiRCy.png

This annoys me more than anything. The devs don't deserve this shit but whoever chose this release date did. It was never even a possibility and obviously based in deception, along with forgoing to clarify it was a cross-gen game. They walked into this.

This annoys me more than anything. The devs don't deserve this shit but whoever chose this release date did. It was never even a possibility and obviously based in deception, along with forgoing to clarify it was a cross-gen game. They walked into this.

I know they weren’t lying about the actors health problems. But if that’s the only reason then it should release this year. Still I wonder about the original 2021 release date and who thought it would be a good idea same goes for Starfield. Really would like to know what kind of person would make those decisions.

The fact that people are actually harassing developers on platforms like twitter because they are so desperate to know a release date for a new video game.

Nah, that's just a result of the internet being so accessible and also providing anonymity to immature 12 year olds who fuck about just for laughs.

When you and I were young, kids did equally as stupid shit. But since we didn't have a direct line to public figures and public-facing organisations, our peers back then couldn't pull this shit. But they sure as hell would have, if given the tools and opportunity.

Rykan

Nah, that's just a result of the internet being so accessible and also providing anonymity to immature 12 year olds who fuck about just for laughs.

When you and I were young, kids did equally as stupid shit. But since we didn't have a direct line to public figures and public-facing organisations, our peers back then couldn't pull this shit. But they sure as hell would have, if given the tools and opportunity.
I don't think so. One glance at the twitter comments shows that most people losing it over this are grown, adult manchildren.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

That's the nature of social media. And it's not even more recent things like FB or Twitter that came out 15 years ago. Way before that in shitty looking forums was the same thing. If people want to be social and look for open communication, then they got to be willing to take a jab. If not, get rid of their social media account or shut off comments section. Problem is they want the good vibes only, so they got to leave access on.

It's like emotional youtubers. If that 3% of commenters saying Fuck Off or their video sucks is a make it or break it level of feedback (which every grown adult should know they are doing it for laughs), then dont do social media. If they cant handle 97% of users like the content, but 3% hate it, then it's not for them if they're aiming for 100% positive feedback.

People living life using social media as a crux to their existence must be the awesomest workers ever because just about everyone in life has had their supervisor or boss grill them for some shitty work or mistakes. And that is literally reality and life changing consequences (ie. get fired or the whole office knows Bob got grilled by his boss behind closed doors). If they can handle that, surely they can handle random bums on Twitter or Reddit grilling them with witty one liners. Funny thing is I'm sure they've done their share of internet pestering themselves, so lets not act like everyone is Mother Teresa on the net.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Enough with the outrage over the dick pics. Don't feed the trolls. You already said something about it this weekend.

Things people have to get over: being outraged over random dick photos on Twitter and grrm ever releasing wings of winter.

I don't think so. One glance at the twitter comments shows that most people losing it over this are grown, adult manchildren.

How do you know how old these harassers are from merely their Twitter handle?

Regardless, my argument isn't about age, it's about immaturity combined with accessibility to developers and the anonymity the internet provides. This is absolutely the reason shit like this happens. It's nothing to do with blockbuster videogames. It's not even unique to video games.

That's the nature of social media. And it's not even more recent things like FB or Twitter that came out 15 years ago. Way before that in shitty looking forums was the same thing. If people want to be social and look for open communication, then they got to be willing to take a jab. If not, get rid of their social media account or shut off comments section. Problem is they want the good vibes only, so they got to leave access on.

It's like emotional youtubers. If that 3% of commenters saying Fuck Off or their video sucks is a make it or break it level of feedback (which every grown adult should know they are doing it for laughs), then dont do social media. If they cant handle 97% of users like the content, but 3% hate it, then it's not for them if they're aiming for 100% positive feedback.

People living life using social media as a crux to their existence must be the awesomest workers ever because just about everyone in life has had their supervisor or boss grill them for some shitty work or mistakes. And that is literally reality and life changing consequences (ie. get fired or the whole office knows Bob got grilled by his boss behind closed doors). If they can handle that, surely they can handle random bums on Twitter or Reddit grilling them with witty one liners. Funny thing is I'm sure they've done their share of internet pestering themselves, so lets not act like everyone is Mother Teresa on the net.

While I wholeheartedly agree in principle, in this case, I think the issue was more with idiots sending pics of their dics.

Totally, folks managing dev social media accounts should have thick skins, but unsolicited genitalia pics are a step too far. And those people should be called out for it.

kyussman

Respect,respect,respect......how about you just make the fucking game and sell it....if it's any good I'll buy it.....simple.

Rykan

How do you know how old these harassers are from merely their Twitter handle?
It's generally not that hard to have a reasonable estimate regarding someone's age based on their profile picture.
Regardless, my argument isn't about age, it's about immaturity combined with accessibility to developers and the anonymity the internet provides. This is absolutely the reason shit like this happens. It's nothing to do with blockbuster videogames. It's not even unique to video games.
I agree that all of these factors play a major role and that it's certainly not exclusive to videogames, which is why I've specifically used the term entertainment release.

It's generally not that hard to have a reasonable estimate regarding someone's age based on their profile picture.

Ok, so you don't know. I rest my case.

I agree that all of these factors play a major role and that it's certainly not exclusive to videogames, which is why I've specifically used the term entertainment release.

But its not even exclusive to entertainment releases either. It's just the nature of the internet.

Everything from politics, to celebrities taking a shit, to news reports about a local bakery making dick-shaped cookies can result in online harassment. Idiots online will perpetrate their miscreancy given any kind of opportunity. And social media access + anonymity provides them with that opportunity.

Rykan

Ok, so you don't know. I rest my case.
I'm sorry but this is a stupid point you're trying to make here. If I show you a picture of a 27 year old, in most cases you should be able to guess that this person is an adult just by looking at it. Even if you can't guess the exact age it's pretty obvious that he's not twelve.
But its not even exclusive to entertainment releases either. It's just the nature of the internet.

Everything from politics, to celebrities taking a shit, to news reports about a local bakery making dick-shaped cookies can result in online harassment. Idiots online will perpetrate their miscreancy given any kind of opportunity. And social media access + anonymity provides them with that opportunity.
Well yes, but in the vast majority of cases there are other factors at play as well. There needs to be a trigger for that behavior.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Dumb to harass any developer.

But since we are talking about gow, they should just announce a date, so what if it slipped into 2023.

I hope they delay the game if it needs more time. Gamers need to chill, no one wants another unfinished unpolished AAA game.
This. I wish Santa Monica, and other developers, the good fortune of having time to slow down, enjoy their work, and usher forth something loved and well crafted.

I'm sorry but this is a stupid point you're trying to make here. If I show you a picture of a 27 year old, in most cases you should be able to guess that this person is an adult just by looking at it. Even if you can't guess the exact age it's pretty obvious that he's not twelve.

Well yes, but in the vast majority of cases there are other factors at play as well. There needs to be a trigger for that behavior.

Most of them, if not all, aren't using a picture of themselves, so yeah, like he said, you don't know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom