• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stan Lee's daughter sides with Sony over Disney/Marvel in Spider-Man feud "no one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney's execs"

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/22/stan-lee-daughter-sony-disney-spiderman-marvel/

Thanks to Bryank75 Bryank75 for the news

As for how the Lees feel about it, JC tells us ... "Marvel and Disney seeking total control of my father's creations must be checked and balanced by others who, while still seeking to profit, have genuine respect for Stan Lee and his legacy." AKA ... cameos don't cut it.

She goes on ... "Whether it's Sony or someone else's, the continued evolution of Stan's characters and his legacy deserves multiple points of view."

“When my father died, no one from Marvel or Disney reached out to me. From day one, they have commoditized my father’s work and never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency.”

JC's parting words ... "In the end, no one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney's executives."

Last edited:
Creating an empire for the brass upstairs and to show their appreciation they stabbed him in the back. I've always been a DC kid, but this is abhorrent shit.

Geki-D

Banned
From day one, they have commoditized my father’s work and never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency.
They did give him a cameo in every single movie, she's sort of exaggerating here when she says "never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency". They could have just not seeing as I'm pretty sure he left Marvel a really long time ago and besides getting a paycheck for being chairman, didn't have much to do with the IPs. Especially not after Disney bought them up.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
They did give him a cameo in every single movie
so they pimped him out to give their brand more authenticity. it doesn't matter if he made money or had a bit of fun here, he was at the end of his life, this was just him being used to ensure their movies have that extra stamp of "brand approval". they clearly used him, even if he didn't mind it (or wasn't in his full mind, dude was getting old)

then when he dies they don't even call his daughter. scummy.

Last edited:

Ownage

This is ironic. The Lee family has a lot of balls talking about not receiving respect. Stan was well known as stealing ideas and credit from other artists, and them not receiving a gd thing.

I say Marvel absorb Spiderman. They're gonna own us all one day anyway.

Geki-D

Banned
it doesn't matter if he made money or had a bit of fun here, he was at the end of his life, this was just him being used to ensure their movies have that extra stamp of "brand approval". they clearly used him, even if he didn't mind it (or wasn't in his full mind, dude was getting old)
I really don't think his inclusion did much for the movies. They could have just not put him in and made no reference to him at all besides maybe a line in the credits and I doubt it would have affected the movie's earnings. Also it's actually pretty important that the guy had fun and was paid. He did, afterall, do those cameos willingly and throughout all of the years he did them, he seemed quite happy as that being the recognition for his work.

I'm not disagreeing that not calling his daughter after his death isn't bad but her saying they NEVER paid homage to his role in the creation of those characters when he literally appears in all of the movies, is just silly.

Also you implying that he was some old, confused man being shuffled onto set against his will because he was too dementia-ridden to know what was going on is just ridiculous. He had been doing them for about 10 years and that's just for the current MCU movies.

Trojita

Didn't she treat him like shit and tried to grab all his money? There were many rumors like this last year..

That's when the one guy was controlling Stan's life

An in-depth report by The Hollywood Reporter contains a notarized document from February 13, 2018, where Stan Lee signed a declaration at the office of his then-attorney, Tom Lallas, where Lee accused three men, Jerardo “Jerry” Olivarez (Lee's primary caregiver at the time), Keya Morgan (Lee's current primary caregiver) and Kirk Schenck (J.C. Lee's attorney) of taking advantage of J.C. in an attempt to “gain control over my assets, property and money.”

Within days, however, Lallas was out as as Lee's attorney and a number of other people in Lee's life were also removed (a new attorney, a new accountant, a new assistant, a new housekeeper and a new gardener) as Morgan's control over Lee's life continued. Morgan released a video of Lee from April 7, where Lee denounces the previously-signed declaration. In the video, Lee states, "My relationship with my daughter has never been better, and my friend Keya Morgan and I also have a great relationship."

There's way too much unknown with that whole situation.

Stitch

Gold Member
Yeah that guy (or several actually) wanted Stans money and used his daughter to get it, but it seems that she wasn't really much better than them.

The Feb. 13 document, obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, begins with some background, explaining that Lee and his late wife had arranged a trust for their daughter because she had trouble supporting herself and often overspent. "It is not uncommon for J.C. to charge, in any given month, $20,000 to $40,000 on credit cards, sometimes more," the document states. It goes on to describe how, when he and his daughter disagree — "which is often" — she "typically yells and screams at me and cries hysterically if I do not capitulate."

Wouldn't surprise me if she was okay with that plan. Also there are rumors that she even attacked Stan and her mom so I I'm not sure if she's so much better than Sony or Disney...

Trojita

I find it very hard to believe Kevin Feige didn't reach out. She's not the most reliable individual.
While she is probably an overspender and I wouldn't be surprised if by "talk" she meant business deals with her and Disney/Marvel (she apparently writes comics?) I was also surprised with how rich and powerful Disney/Marvel is that they didn't help Stan at all during the last few seemingly terrible years of his life. Kevin Smith tried to help, but he doesn't have the resources Disney has.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
While she is probably an overspender and I wouldn't be surprised if by "talk" she meant business deals with her and Disney/Marvel (she apparently writes comics?) I was also surprised with how rich and powerful Disney/Marvel is that they didn't help Stan at all during the last few seemingly terrible years of his life. Kevin Smith tried to help, but he doesn't have the resources Disney has.
God damn, I love Kevin Smith and hearing that makes me an even bigger fan.

manfestival

While I do believe Disney sucked at treating Stan right for all he has done for Marvel and Disney. I remember reading reports of the greed of his offspring. From the sounds of it. The way the news was slanted of the kids was that they basically were just waiting for him to die so they could claim the fortunes.

Geki-D

Banned
Why stop there.
But the games licence too. Fuck it, make some comics too.
Sony would have to offer all of the money in the world before Disney would let go of all of the IP rights. I bet Disney probably threw up some juicy offers to buy back the movie rights, in fact it wouldn't surprise me that at least the notion of buying all of Sony wasn't floating around Disney at one point mostly just to get those rights.

Last edited:

The Snake

Yeah I always thought he was a goofball but he gained my respect if true.

He's way more compassionate and straight-laced than most people think; his films don't really represent him as a person too much I don't think (he didn't even smoke pot until his 40s despite popular belief). Just his style of humor if anything.

He was pretty close with Stan and he talks about him a lot (before and after he died) and he has a lot of really heartwarming stories about him.

DESTROYA

I heard Sony was offered the whole Marvel universe movie rights when Marvel was in trouble for like 25 to 30 million, we are talking about every character in the Marvel portfolio but they initially only bout the rights to Spider-Man for 6 to 7 million, it’s crazy to think about it especially what they are worth today.

The Snake

I heard Sony was offered the whole Marvel universe movie rights when Marvel was in trouble for like 25 to 30 million, we are talking about every character in the Marvel portfolio but they initially only bout the rights to Spider-Man for 6 to 7 million, it’s crazy to think about it especially what they are worth today.

It really is. After the comic boom of the 90's ended and its bubble burst, nobody gave a shit about Iron Man. Hell, I remember hearing they were making an Iron Man movie and thinking that was just so bizarre. Now we even have not one but two Ant Man movies. Never would have imagined.

jts

...hate me...
She sounds salty, the "I would like more money" kind of salty. Being a daughter doesn't make her know what's right or wrong for her father's creations. That's just nepotism. And then using his father's death to manipulate public opinion when by all accounts she didn't make his life easy. Class act all around.

Not that Disney isn't a juggernaut who couldn't give more of a fuck about what they, within rights, do to turn a buck, but that's business. I'm sure people were plenty happy when that dough changed hands.

But she's just taking advantage of the huge fan cult of silly pew pew lazorz movies to stir some shit.

NeoGiffer

She sounds a little entitled. Disney is an organisation, a business. I'm sure kevin feige and other individuals contacted her. I wouldn't believe her 100%.

stan-lee.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
But she's just taking advantage of the huge fan cult of silly pew pew lazorz movies to stir some shit.
no, she is the daughter of the creator. she has every right to her opinion. she isn't some random person jumping on this. this is a story blowing up that directly impacts her life. to pretend otherwise is entirely dismissive, especially given all the salt spilled for the two megacompanies these days.

people are acting like "where does she get off?". was she supposed to not have an opinion on this? it's called freedom of speech folks. maybe some of you slower countries don't have it anymore but we still do in the USA. she can say what she wants to, like it or not.

as for her being "crazy" and "predatory", that all comes from the media, and it is a common tactic to use these tropes against women in legal disputes to gain leverage. also see Courtney Love.

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Why would anyone go to bat for Disney as though they are David fighting against Goliath?

Poor Disney is gonna get beat up by a bully! Oh no!
Help them, everybody! We must not let any harm come to Disney - they are so special!
So very, very special!!

Wonder how Steve Ditko is feeling

Jack Kirby got shat on way worse than fucking anybody. Disney and Stan Lee acted like he never even fucking existed.

Kirby actually penciled the cover for Amazing Fantasy that had Spider-Man's first appearance and was supposed to create him initially. The main reason for Marvel's Silver Age and it's rise in the 60s. Creating many of the Avengers and anyone who knows comics will tell you those were 100% Kirby's creations.

Jack Kirby who was a fucking World War II veteran who was in combat infantry, received numerous merits and was in the Africa and European campaigns. Nearly had his legs amputated after frostbite.

Top Bottom