• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen has raised over $300 million now

bosnianpie

I remember my colleague prasing SC back in 2015 or so, saying that it would be released soon. I know nothing about this development process, all I can say is that no game is worth this much wait. It's a shitty way to treat your fans and I wouldn't give them a dime.

magaman

Banned
I remember my colleague prasing SC back in 2015 or so, saying that it would be released soon. I know nothing about this development process, all I can say is that no game is worth this much wait. It's a shitty way to treat your fans and I wouldn't give them a dime.

There are still zealots (some in this thread) that feverishly defend it. It's incredible. Better yet, the logic they use (development takes time, development is hard and you don't understand) is just silly. If you follow the updates, you realize just how stupid the game priorities are.

Instead of prioritizing gameplay loops, dev is focused on things like weapon zeroing, which is setting your FPS scope sights to account for bullet drop. For a game in space. With space ships. That aren't affected by it. At all.

EDIT: The latest upcoming patch also features seaweed physics that react to buoyancy. That's right. In a game where you can't fucking swim, they're building seaweed physics. For a game in space. With space ships. That aren't affected by it. At all.

Last edited:
There are still zealots (some in this thread) that feverishly defend it. It's incredible. Better yet, the logic they use (development takes time, development is hard and you don't understand) is just silly. If you follow the updates, you realize just how stupid the game priorities are.

Instead of prioritizing gameplay loops, dev is focused on things like weapon zeroing, which is setting your FPS scope sights to account for bullet drop. For a game in space. With space ships. That aren't affected by it. At all.

EDIT: The latest upcoming patch also features seaweed physics that react to buoyancy. That's right. In a game where you can't fucking swim, they're building seaweed physics. For a game in space. With space ships. That aren't affected by it. At all.

The people defending it are just in too deep. If you have put thousands into this and a lot of emotions its difficult to walk away. Its like a relationship gone wrong.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I have always been interested in this game, but I am taking a wait and see attitude on how it turns out before jumping in. I don't like the precedent this game sets when you can spend hundreds in real world dollars for the different ships available in game. If that kind of DLC or boost is allowed now how will it affect the finished game in the future? When you have people controlling the game based on how powerful their ship is the balance would be tipped in the favor of those spending the most on their ships.

That should not be a problem at all if you know the purpose of the Universe in SC.

Well is kinda logical that the FPS weapons team is working on things that has to do with weapons. It's kinda logical that the planet tech team is working on different things for planets for example, It's kinda logical that the ship team is working on ships instead of gameplay loops. The team responsible gameplay is wrapping up this for the PU:

The fact that you mentioning that they add something that you can swim, for a space game, indicates that you don't know what Star Citizen is. It's not just a space game. If it was a space game, we wouldn't have to land on planets, would we? Have you ever seen Star Citizen? Did you know it had planets and moons, and water? Maybe think about that first before you dropping a lot of nonsense.

I'm always surprised that people who don't really want to have anything to do with it, always pretend to know so much about it.

Last edited:

Starfield

Weapon zeroing is needed for bullet drop in athomspheric regions such as planets, space stations with artifical gravity and certain moons (which all do exist in Star Citizen). Also it is needed for Squadron42

Swimming isn't currently implemented but will be once resources are available to do so. He ve why we see getting all sorts of ocean related stuff such as new surface shaders for water in the last patch.

They plan on doing underwater stuff aswell, it's just not a priority right now for the environment team since they are currently implementing procedural grass elements for various surfaces along with denser vegetation and all of that reacting to players or ships.

jonnyp

This thing is 8 years in the works. GTA5 took 3 years of full-focused development, 5 if you include preproduction and limited dev. Think about that for a minute.

RDR 2 took 8 years of full production and up to 1600 people too though.

Shubh_C63

At the start, "Consoles can't handle our game".
Now we have stretched the development so long that consoles have caught up (which isn't alright to us) and we're set to make a True next gen space sim for PC again. So please wait till 2024.

Tesseract

Banned
CjelRJ_XAAEMQ-8.jpg

magaman

Banned
Well is kinda logical that the FPS weapons team is working on things that has to do with weapons. It's kinda logical that the planet tech team is working on different things for planets for example, It's kinda logical that the ship team is working on ships instead of gameplay loops. The team responsible gameplay is wrapping up this for the PU:

The fact that you mentioning that they add something that you can swim, for a space game, indicates that you don't know what Star Citizen is. It's not just a space game. If it was a space game, we wouldn't have to land on planets, would we? Have you ever seen Star Citizen? Did you know it had planets and moons, and water? Maybe think about that first before you dropping a lot of nonsense.

I'm always surprised that people who don't really want to have anything to do with it, always pretend to know so much about it.

Zealot in its truest form. It's kinda not logical to spend 8 years on a game and not have a single completed element. To say "You just don't get it", or to downplay the development cycle's ignorance, is the very definition of nonsense. It's been 8 years and the tech demo is broken. There are no gameplay loops. And the best you can say about it is "it's more than just a space game."

God damn. I bet EA would love to have you in their PR department. Another mindless follower licking a boot full of empty promises, needless waste, and hubris to top it all off.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Zealot in its truest form. It's kinda not logical to spend 8 years on a game and not have a single completed element. To say "You just don't get it", or to downplay the development cycle's ignorance, is the very definition of nonsense. It's been 8 years and the tech demo is broken. There are no gameplay loops. And the best you can say about it is "it's more than just a space game."

God damn. I bet EA would love to have you in their PR department.

Broken...really? that's always a easy thing to say if you know fucking nothing. You do know they are developing 2 games? SQ42 is in heavy development and the majority of the devs are working on SQ42 and not SC.

Last edited:

magaman

Banned
Broken...really? that's always a easy thing to say if you know fucking nothing.

Lmfao. Read any forums (RSI, /r/starcitizen, or even this very thread) of people who can't run the game. Or lose their ships or months worth of work. Or can't trigger missions. Or have memory leaks that destroy performance (which is horribly optimized) Or get stuck in the floor. Or... or ...

It's broken, you idiot. It's an alpha, so it's to be expected. But to be in alpha, after 8 years and $300 million, is an embarrassment.

jonnyp

And it was a complete game; a masterpiece. 8 years and SC is a tech demo with no finished features.

Oh I agree, not trying to defend SC at all but developing huge AAA open world games in general s really starting to take way too long and cost too much.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Lmfao. Read any forums (RSI, /r/starcitizen, or even this very thread) of people who can't run the game. Or lose their ships or months worth of work. Or can't trigger missions. Or have memory leaks that destroy performance (which is horribly optimized) Or get stuck in the floor. Or... or ...

It's broken, you idiot. It's an alpha, so it's to be expected. But to be in alpha, after 8 years and $300 million, is an embarrassment.

Well, maybe you know the game is still in active development. So if you lose any ships, it will always be fixed with a server side patch or if you reset your character. If the game is broken, then i couldn't play it for some hours atm with a group of people on a area around magda with couple of ships, mining ships, mining vehicles etc.

Even games that are finished are most of the time broken or have performance issues (FS2020) and (Horizon for instance). But yeah let's make a big deal about this from a game that is still in development. I mean the latest patch fixed some memory leaks and not everyone has issues with that. I'm running this game most of the time in 1440p or 4K and between 60 and 95fps.

It's not broken, maybe you need to search what the definition of broken is first before you drop nonsense. Calling me idiot? lol why you even concerned or frustrated? You have problem that people are having fun with this game and to me, you only see the negative side and only those people are right in you're eyes. Are you also getting angy when finished games are a broken mess, with all kind of issues, or only if it's about SC?

Last edited:

Starfield

And it was a complete game; a masterpiece. 8 years and SC is a tech demo with no finished features.
RDR2 had a dev team with over 1600 people whereas CIG had 13 devs in 2012. They literally had to build a whole game studio (or studios) from the ground up. In 2017 they had a little over 450 developers or people working for CIG and in 2020 we're around that 500 mark.

They also had to re-write basically all of CryEngine to fit an entire mmo sized game in it.

So basically Star Citizen is in "full" production only since 3 years.

you can read more here: https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cfo-comment-2012-2017-financials

edit: oh yeah, and like the user above me said. They are working on TWO games. One completely single player focused story game and one mmo. They are currently focusing their work on the single player game so that one gets finished since it got delayed a few times.

edit2: here's one more thing so you can understand why the game isn't out since "8 years"

af55a0d4de3a40fdb3b761ce993e6685.jpg

In 2012 they had 10 devs, 2013: 43, then they had 155, then 229, 323, 397 and in 2018 they were at 408 developers actively working on this game...
source: https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cloud-imperium-financials-for-2018

Listen I get some of the complaints here and I too think the game has been in development for too long already, but theres legitimate reasons for that. Reasons why other dev studios can and will bring out games sooner.

Last edited:

MHubert

God damn. I bet EA would love to have you in their PR department. Another mindless follower licking a boot full of empty promises, needless waste, and hubris to top it all off.
Nothing about Star Citizen is logical. It defies every rule of AAA development, because it doen't have a publiser controlling the money.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
These fanboys need to get their head out of their ass.

300 million dollars
8 years
Selling virtual ships for $1000 (many have bought)
Tech generations have passed since they started so they will have to keep changing tech
Minimal is playable and still not even a 'game'

Class action lawsuit incoming!

treemk

Banned
I don't know much about the game but what I've seen on twitch looks impressive. It can't be any more of scam than straight up trading your real currency for virtual currency like so many games offer.

SUPERGGK

While it's not my business to criticize how anyone wants to spend their hard earned cash, but I still feel that selling overpriced ships before the game is even out and overpromising so much with the scope of the game, are very predatory tactics. So IMO right now things do look suspicious. It would be interesting to see how things turn out in the future.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
While it's not my business to criticize how anyone wants to spend their hard earned cash, but I still feel that selling overpriced ships before the game is even out and overpromising so much with the scope of the game, are very predatory tactics. So IMO right now things do look suspicious. It would be interesting to see how things turn out in the future.

Well it’s kinda easy. You can do 2 things, buy the ships ingame and only buy the starters pack, or buy ships also with real money to help fund the development. Starters can easily earn money if they play with others and start missions, like cargo trading or just fps combat missions, or mining with a group. You can transfer money, so their is no need to do it all by yourself.

This can’t be real. Tell me it’s money laundering. I refuse to believe that someone actually paid that high amount for pixels.
Shiiiiiittt, this is a drop in the bucket compared to the mobile games market. Muthafuckin soccer moms been dropping these kinds of numbers on Candy Crush since ‘96 brah, lol. Frankly, star citizens need to step their game up.

Starfield

Point was that it’s not next gen console technology that will help performance (HDD vs SSD) it’s the server situation that needs to be addressed.
Exactly. (dynamic) Server Meshing and fully implemented Server Sided Object Container Streaming is NEEDED for the future on this game. Without it they will never have a "universe" with thousands of players.

Kadayi

Banned
RDR2 had a dev team with over 1600 people whereas CIG had 13 devs in 2012. They literally had to build a whole game studio (or studios) from the ground up. In 2017 they had a little over 450 developers or people working for CIG and in 2020 we're around that 500 mark.

You know that it's pretty much SOP for a game to start with a small team and then ramp up over time right? RDR2 didn't start day 1 with 1600 devs on it. I doubt even if 1600 worked at it full-time or all at once either (let alone all of them actually being devs), but comprises different R* studios contributing as it went along. Also IIRC that's just a number drawn from the games credits and likely includes a whole heap of admin and other assorted personnel and execs whose job is to keep the studios running, do marketing, etc etc versus actual coders.

Starfield

You know that it's pretty much SOP for a game to start with a small team and then ramp up over time right? RDR2 didn't start day 1 with 1600 devs on it. I doubt even if 1600 worked at it full-time or all at once either (let alone all of them actually being devs), but comprises different R* studios contributing as it went along. Also IIRC that's just a number drawn from the games credits and likely includes a whole heap of admin and other assorted personnel and execs whose job is to keep the studios running, do marketing, etc etc versus actual coders.
The point is Star Citizen didn't have a dev team or studio at the beginning, in fact it took them a few years to even get a studio whereas Rockstar is already an established studio with lots of expertise and a huge asset library aswell as an already existing engine for that game. CIG has to make everything from scratch. They can't reuse assets or animations, textures, whatever from previous games. They also basically have to rewrite an entire engine (cryengine) instead of already using one that is suited for their needs.

I don't know how hard it is to understand that.

Kadayi

Banned
The point is Star Citizen didn't have a dev team or studio at the beginning, in fact it took them a few years to even get a studio whereas Rockstar is already an established studio with lots of expertise and a huge asset library aswell as an already existing engine for that game. CIG has to make everything from scratch. They can't reuse assets or animations, textures, whatever from previous games. They also basically have to rewrite an entire engine (cryengine) instead of already using one that is suited for their needs.

LOL I don't give a wet cunt hair about how long CIG are taking (not my space game). I'm merely taking issue with the 1600 devs comment and the validity of it.. Also if you think much if anything from RDR1 ended up in RDR2 (let alone GTA V) you're fucking deluded.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member

So they advertised a game on Kickstarter but they are actually using the money to build a studio? Very legitimate. Great management.

magaman

Banned

They also had to re-write basically all of CryEngine to fit an entire mmo sized game in it.

So basically Star Citizen is in "full" production only since 3 years.

you can read more here: https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cfo-comment-2012-2017-financials

edit: oh yeah, and like the user above me said. They are working on TWO games. One completely single player focused story game and one mmo. They are currently focusing their work on the single player game so that one gets finished since it got delayed a few times.

edit2: here's one more thing so you can understand why the game isn't out since "8 years"

af55a0d4de3a40fdb3b761ce993e6685.jpg

In 2012 they had 10 devs, 2013: 43, then they had 155, then 229, 323, 397 and in 2018 they were at 408 developers actively working on this game...
source: https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cloud-imperium-financials-for-2018

Listen I get some of the complaints here and I too think the game has been in development for too long already, but theres legitimate reasons for that. Reasons why other dev studios can and will bring out games sooner.

How much money have you spent on SC? How many more years are you going to sit and play alpha versions of tech demos before you realize they're working on shit they shouldn't be? Is it that hard to admit that dev has been mishandled? Or are CIG still the all-knowing gods you believe them to be?

Starfield

How much money have you spent on SC? How many more years are you going to sit and play alpha versions of tech demos before you realize they're working on shit they shouldn't be? Is it that hard to admit that dev has been mishandled? Or are CIG still the all-knowing gods you believe them to be?
I've spent around 250$ over 6 years to get the ship I want. People spend way more on ingame transactions in other games or even mobile games.

250/6 years is around 40$ per year.

Lets say....2 years. If SQ42 still isn't out in atleast its first iteration and server meshing isn't in the PU then I will admit this game might never come out in the desired state. Right now everything's fine.

If you don't follow the game's development its no wonder you don't understand jack shit.

magaman

Banned
If you don't follow the game's development its no wonder you don't understand jack shit.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. But I can say after following the game for a number of years, the frustration within the SC community is at an all-time high. Quarterly releases are practically devoid of substantive content. There's nothing moving the game forward. It's basically Pokemon snap in space. Pretty pictures, zero substance. The systems are broken. The physics are broken. The devs are working on fucking seaweed physics as a headline item in 3.11.

It's plain sad to watch people defend this. They want to believe in it so badly that they're willing to turn a blind eye to the fact the devs have no clear direction, with no clear timeline, powered by systems that are broken, that also run on broken servers.

Whatever though. It's your money.

Starfield

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. But I can say after following the game for a number of years, the frustration within the SC community is at an all-time high. Quarterly releases are practically devoid of substantive content. There's nothing moving the game forward. It's basically Pokemon snap in space. Pretty pictures, zero substance. The systems are broken. The physics are broken. The devs are working on fucking seaweed physics as a headline item in 3.11.

It's plain sad to watch people defend this. They want to believe in it so badly that they're willing to turn a blind eye to the fact the devs have no clear direction, with no clear timeline, powered by systems that are broken, that also run on broken servers.

Whatever though. It's your money.
Like I said, I know its a rought time right now...but my personal timeframe is 2 years. If they can't deliver SOME of their promises, not all of them but something like SQ42 and server meshing in those two years then count me in on Team #It'llneverbefinished

Top Bottom