• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Prodigy Cancelled & Going To Be Removed From PP+

I know a lot of you here are fans of Star Trek: Prodigy, the animated official Star Trek spin-off but looks like it's getting canceled.

That's not all, it's getting completely removed from Paramount Plus.

Sorry to be that bearer of bad news.

Last edited:
Never heard of it. The characters look a bit strange.
It even got its own video game that's also available for PC and consoles.

Pro-Game-Banner-1.png

812-MG8d-Jnh-L-AC-UF1000-1000-QL80.jpg

Last edited:

Nydius

That’s kinda disappointing. It may have been a kids show but it was one of the new Nu-Trek shows I didn’t mind. It started slow but got better as it went along and did a decent job embodying the old Trek ideals of exploration and collaboration.

Removing it entirely is an absolute dick move.

Last edited:
Why don't get it. Why remove it?
I don't get it either. The show doesn't even interest me nor would I ever probably watch it but to just completely remove it like that, especially since it's a part of official Star Trek canon seems really bizarre. It definitely justifies my reason again for this all digital future and how it can just all go away.

At least I hope they release the first season on Blu-ray or something for people who want to be able to enjoy it.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I've never watched it either but even if folks didn't like it, it was still Trek. Now one less trek show exists. It's probably not as well received as Lower Decks but still. It isn't too unlike other toons aimed at both kids and adults.

Server space? That's the only thing I can think of.

Paramount+ is canceling four TV shows and permanently slicing them from streaming. According to The Hollywood Reporter, this decision results from the company wanting to have tax write-offs. The exact amount of said write-offs will be revealed during an upcoming company earnings call. Paramount+ is another prominent streamer to do this, after Warner Bros. and Disney+.

jason10mm

Gold Member
They are doing this to force a dvd/blu-ray market ro still exist and combat binge viewers that sub for a month and then bail.

Plus they now have crystal clear viewer info and can tell a dud with absolute certainty.

JayK47

And yet Cuties is going nowhere.

I understand shows get cancelled. But why the scorched earth? Does it cost a lot of keep it on a server? Does it take up a lot of space? So weird. Now I know why, with all these streaming services, I still can't find anything good to watch. Everything good has been removed or was never added.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I assume that once again this is due to royalty agreements.

This trend of removing shows from services in order to sidestep royalty payments is honestly fucking bullshit.

Streaming has been a dismal failure for everybody because it turns out no people don't want to pay for like 5 different competing streaming services. Boy, nobody could have seen that one coming. Completely removing shows is just a way to cut costs because right now they are getting killed on the cost structure of streaming and rightfully so, whoever thought it was a good idea was an idiot.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Something something digital future.
Does anyone remember when tv shows were broadcast over the air and only aired one time ever? And only the most popular ones were picked up for syndication and then you might see them years later and only see an episode maybe once every year? Except for Gilligans Island which seemed to repeat every other week?

When it comes to TV the digital future is so much better than the broadcast past.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Does anyone remember when tv shows were broadcast over the air and only aired one time ever? And only the most popular ones were picked up for syndication and then you might see them years later and only see an episode maybe once every year? Except for Gilligans Island which seemed to repeat every other week?

When it comes to TV the digital future is so much better than the broadcast past.
You mean buying bootleg VHS copies made from a static filled OTA broadcast at a shady alley convention isn't your preferred way to watch Manimal, Automan, Misfits of Science, Werewolf, Streethawk, V, Wierd Science the TV show, or Otherworld?

Jinzo Prime

Even if the writer's strike is "successful" companies will remove poorly performing shows en masse to avoid royalty payments. I don't see how the writers are going to get around this, unless the new agreement guarantees a minimum runtime.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
According to wiki, season two is in the works and will be pitched to other streaming services.

There may have been a clause that once you cancel, you delist it immediately too. Whomever picks up season two will surely carry season one as well.

ReBurn

Gold Member
You mean buying bootleg VHS copies made from a static filled OTA broadcast at a shady alley convention isn't your preferred way to watch Manimal, Automan, Misfits of Science, Werewolf, Streethawk, V, Wierd Science the TV show, or Otherworld?
I bought cubes of 10 VHS tapes all the time to record my favorite shows. At one point I had two cable boxes and two VCR's so I could catch multiple shows when there was overlap. It's amazing what my Plex server does now.

Quasicat

I bought cubes of 10 VHS tapes all the time to record my favorite shows. At one point I had two cable boxes and two VCR's so I could catch multiple shows when there was overlap. It's amazing what my Plex server does now.
This is exactly how I still have the full run of The Drew Carey Show, plus the memories of when the Disney Channel, which was a premium channel at the time, was on a free preview weekend. I would run the VCR the whole weekend!

Can someone explain to me why companies that own a particular IP would remove it from a streaming service? It shouldn't be a licensing problem with an outside IP owner, so what the logic here? It is not like it is taking up air time as it would on a traditional television network, it is only provided on demand so I'm not getting the benefit here.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Season 3 of Picard was GREAT!

I wanted to like S3, because it was obvious that the showrunner(s) / creative team tried real hard and their hearts were in the right place, but it was really awful (for me). S1 and S2 were crimes against humanity though.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Can someone explain to me why companies that own a particular IP would remove it from a streaming service? It shouldn't be a licensing problem with an outside IP owner, so what the logic here? It is not like it is taking up air time as it would on a traditional television network, it is only provided on demand so I'm not getting the benefit here.

As other posters have mentioned, could be writing it off for purposes, and/or to avoid paying the proper residuals to those entitled to them.

ReBurn

Gold Member
To claim the production costs as a loss and take that loss as a tax write-off. What they save on their tax bill is probably higher than what the show earns in streaming revenue.

Quasicat

From what I understand of it, the production companies are required to pay a residual fee to writers, actors, etc each time someone streams a movie or show. They add stuff constantly, but the price only goes up occasionally. As people watch more but pay the same, that money has to come from somewhere…or you remove content so you don’t need to pay. The whole system is unsustainable and Disney has been bleeding money for years with Disney+.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I see you never owned a VHS recorder or a TiVo or a DVD recorder or well anything that could capture broadcast TV ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
From what I understand of it, the production companies are required to pay a residual fee to writers, actors, etc each time someone streams a movie or show. They add stuff constantly, but the price only goes up occasionally. As people watch more but pay the same, that money has to come from somewhere…or you remove content so you don’t need to pay. The whole system is unsustainable and Disney has been bleeding money for years with Disney+.
Luckily nobody is trying to bring this model to gaming…

Awkward George Costanza GIF

Top Bottom