• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Prodigy Cancelled & Going To Be Removed From PP+

CSJ

I assume that once again this is due to royalty agreements.

This trend of removing shows from services in order to sidestep royalty payments is honestly fucking bullshit.

It's fucking shit, they need to come up with a better way to deal with this.

Surely they should pay based on watched amount of content, rather than it just being on the platform right?
If there are still people watching it, pay them the respective amount because people are subbing to watch it?

Who fuckin' knows really, just glad I got my copies before it all went away.

Azurro

Banned
I've never watched it either but even if folks didn't like it, it was still Trek. Now one less trek show exists. It's probably not as well received as Lower Decks but still. It isn't too unlike other toons aimed at both kids and adults.

Most likely nobody watched it and it was worth a lot more for them as a tax write off than an offering on their streaming service.

jason10mm

Gold Member
To claim the production costs as a loss and take that loss as a tax write-off. What they save on their tax bill is probably higher than what the show earns in streaming revenue.
Yeah, funny Hollywood accounting. They are probably saying Prodigy cost them 100 mill to make and was gonna make 50 mill a year x 10 years, so by removing it now they "lose" 50x8=400 million or whatever, so that tax write off now covers the entire budget of the show.

exvFkix.gif

ReBurn

Gold Member
I see you never owned a VHS recorder or a TiVo or a DVD recorder or well anything that could capture broadcast TV ;).
I definitely recorded from broadcast tv on VHS. Said so earlier in another thread. I also had a setup to burn VHS to DVD until it became easy to do my own video editing on PC. I never had TiVo. I did use the cable company DVR's.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I definitely recorded from broadcast tv on VHS. Said so earlier in another thread. I also had a setup to burn VHS to DVD until it became easy to do my own video editing on PC. I never had TiVo. I did use the cable company DVR's.
Remember when high end VCRs could track the couple of seconds of dead time between commercials and the show and edit them out? Except it wasn't infallible so you might end up with only half a show? Ad blocker PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kids today have NO IDEA about adjusting antenna to improve reception, reading the tv guide to track shows that only came on once, and the youngest kid in the room was the voice activated remote control :p

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Most likely nobody watched it and it was worth a lot more for them as a tax write off than an offering on their streaming service.

They should have marketed it better if they wanted people to watch. It's their own fault they have to cancel it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
They should have marketed it better if they wanted people to watch. It's their own fault they have to cancel it.
Also possible the young kids have little to no connection to Star Trek and it was never gonna have much of an audience. Star Trek was very much an adult show with cross over appeal to kids rather than a direct kids show. I wonder if kids that grew up on Miles of Tomorrow on Disney switched to trek as that show was very much a trek primer.

Watching Trek now it is SOOOOOO expensive, I think they really limits their desire to take risks. I think I would prefer a low budget show that has more highs and some lows rather than the homogenous, bland, glittery nu-trek. SNW is better, but still not really forward thinking conceptually (for example, with their budget they COULD be doing stuff like David Brin's uplift and have a chimp/dolphin/dog member of the crew to predict future attitudes towards human/animal interactions, instead it is really just doubling down on current social trends). I feel like TOS did a far better job of guessing actual future developments than SNW (and I don't think STD did much of anything from what little of it I saw). Trek needs to be thinking harder IMHO.

theclaw135

Banned
While the show is underappreciated, it's spot on to point out there are a lot of Trek references that'll fly over kids.

Top Bottom