• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek : The Original Series (re-watch it or see it for the first time!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachinko

(I am aware there exists an 8 year old thread that's just a star trek general but this is specific to The original series and people who may not have seen it)

Star Trek the original series is on Netflix (and has been for a few months now) , it's also the re-mastered bluray editions of every episode which is a visual treat for the most part. (I don't have a problem with the CG special effects like some might) I've never really watched this show before,Certainly, it was on TV when I was a kid but I was always more attached to "TNG" . I felt the original series was hokey and cheap looking which made me change the channel. William Shatner has been parodied so much that he almost plays himself as a parody and... has been doing so since the 80's. So, for many reasons , watching this show on netflix has been my first real stab at going through the series. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit!

I feel this was a good time to write this up because I just finished up the season 1 two-parter "The Menagerie" , an episode that has been referenced by a ton of pop culture over the years thanks to the beeping captain pike. It's roughly a 5th of the way through the series and at this point , pretty much everyone has had at least a bit of screen time AND after doing some reading , I've now seen both pilot episodes in a way. In some ways , I found "the menagerie" to be the first episode that felt like "star trek" if that means anything. Every episode prior to these 2 felt closer to twilight zone or The outer limits which , I'm told, was kind of the point. Each new planet visited could re-use sets from other shows and "because space" could always be the reason why it was so strange. I'm going to update this thread with my own impressions of each episode as I feel my way through the series.

1- "The Man Trap" - Many early episodes can be summed up with "space horniness" and well, the first episode is basically that. Some of the tropes here have been borrowed by many things later on and ultimately I enjoyed this one despite it's apparent reputation.

2-"Charlie X" - This time the "space horniness" effects the boy with special powers that gave this episode it's namesake to the detriment of the crew. Parts of this one were a nice look at crew life on the ship and some of it was just a bit odd. Still feels like a twilight zone episode on a ship to.

3-"Where no man has gone before" - Watching this one I was struck by how cheap it all looked and later learned it was the second pilot. Green spock and different uniforms aside , it's not too bad of an episode but again, it still manages to feel like Twilight zone rather then it's own thing.

4-"The Naked Time" - Some iconic Sulu moments in this one and due to the way it ends, it also feels a bit closer to what I think of as Star Trek. Pretty good episode.

5-"The Enemy within" - This is the episode I would cite as an example of Shatner actually being able to act. It again feels closer to a twilight zone episode and it also has a comical looking space dog but I liked this one.

6-"Mudd's Women" - seeing the netflix description , I fully expected to hate this one but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It's a goofier one for sure but also a nice tonal change of pace after the bleakness of the previous few episodes.

7-"What are little girls made of" - This episode again features some wanton space horniness expect this time it might be from the viewer :p Seriously though, this one was a gooder and it guest stars Lurch from the adams family.

8-"Miri" - Possibly the strangest episode of what I've seen if only because Kirk pretty much has a child bride and one of the other kids featured in this one looks like a 14 year old John C Reilly. This one actually felt equal parts star trek/twilight zone to me.

9-"Dagger of the mind"- This one of incredibly similar to episode 7 , better in some ways , worse in others. The show kind of feels like it's coming into it's own thing by this point but the ending was still total twilight zone.

10-"The corbomite maneuver"- This one was apparently made just after the pilots and it shows thanks to some of the crew interactions , it feels a little less baked then some of the previous episodes but , by the end the Wizard of OZ influence helps it out.

11/12-"The Menagerie parts 1/2" - Something about this one really felt like full on proper star trek to me , I'm not quite sure why , perhaps it having more influence from star fleet command ? The idea of spock being on trial ? I'm not sure. But , it was an interesting way to throw in the original pilot as part of the canon.

Hopefully I can get through the rest of this series before it gets pulled off netflix , I wouldn't mind giving TNG a re-watch as well. I did sit through the pilot /series premiere which was... a bit mediocre.

So let's all gather around and be trekkies for a little while , for those who haven't seen the show before - it's on netflix , give it a watch. For those that have , give it a re-watch !

Big Nikus

Oh, too bad this thread didn't take off.
I'm in the middle of season 2 and I was enjoying it but I'm slooowly getting bored so I'd like to take a break and maybe watch the movies. I wouldn't mind watching the movies and come back to the show after.
I've seen the episode with Kahn and I'm currently watching the Babel episode, with Spock's parents. Are there other episodes that are mandatory before watching the movies ? Does the five year mission ends in the show or was it canceled before that ? (I know there was a cartoon some time after)

Anyway, I love the cast, they're all great.

Oh, too bad this thread didn't take off.
. Are there other episodes that are mandatory before watching the movies ?
Anyway, I love the cast, they're all great.

realistically, you didn't need too many episodes apart from Space Seed to enjoy any Star Trek movie, and possibly Metamorphosis before watching Star Trek: First Contact.

But If I couldn't only watch essentials or iconic episodes, my list would be:

Season One:
  • Where No Man Has Gone Before
    The second pilot. A few things in flux but we see our characters and get to know James R Kirk.
  • The Naked Time
    The first show where the characters lose control of themselves.
  • Enemy Within
    First Transport accident/evil double. Not great, but its good to see Shatner at it.
  • Tomorrow is Yesterday
    Enterprise is accidentally flung back into the 1960s. Fun ep.
  • Corbomite Maneuver.
    A great look at space exploration and a great ending. also: Clint Howard.
  • Balance of Terror
    Our first meeting with the Romulans
  • The Arena
    Often parodied and mocked for its one on one battle, but great.
  • The Menagerie
    Spock on trial and also a way to see the original pilot.
  • Galileo Seven
    Spock's first command of a doomed shuttle mission.
  • This Side of Paradise
    Crew lose their minds due to exposure to a plant and mutiny
  • Devil in the Dark
    A killer monsters isn't actually a killer.
  • Errand of Mercy
    First taste of Klingon and it is Glorious. John Colicos reprised his character here in DS9
  • City of the Edge of Forever
    Best episode. a bit melodramatic but a classic for a reason.
  • Taste of Armageddon
    A planet were war is fought by computers but designated 'casualties' are still disintegrated.
  • Space Seed
    Khan!

Season Two:
  • Amok Time
    First look at Vulcan and talking about the Vulcan Mating Cycle
  • Mirror Mirror
    A transporter accident sends a landing party to a parallel Universe with goateed Spock
  • Doomsday Machine
    The Planet Killer
  • Journey to Babel
    Spocks Parents appear
  • Metamorphosis
    The crew encounter the long-dead designer of warp engines Zephrim Cochrane
  • Trouble with Tribbles
    a classic. One of the 2nd season's playful episodes. The ep that DS9 used for Trials and Tribblations.
  • A Piece of the Action
    Another playful ep where an alien society is based on a discarded book on 1920's gangsters
  • Gamesters of Triskelion
    rather silly and cheesy but i will bet 200 quatloos on the newcomer
  • Bread and Circuses
    A civilisation that has parallels to ancient Rome
  • Patterns of Force
    The same as Bread and Circuses but with Nazis.
  • Ultimate Computer
    Kirk is replaced by a computer., The computer goes nuts.

Season 3
  1. Spectre of the Gun
    a love it or hate it ep with surreal sets
  2. Day of the Dove
    Klingons are back. Michael Ansara reprised his character here in DS9
  3. Let that be Your Last Battlefield
    The one with the guts who are painted Half White and Half Black. Frank Gorshin guests.
  4. Enterprise Incident
    Kirk is made to look like a Romulan.

Season 3 also has some of the most spectacularly bad episodes of any star trek, some of them are watchable despite being so terrible, such as Spock's Brain. There's also the mostly terrible Plato's Stepchildren which has the infamous Kiss between Kirk and Uhura.

Big Nikus

Thanks for the list ! i'll be sure to watch those at least.
I'll watch again some from season 1 that I remember liking a lot (i watched it three years ago).

Doomsday Machine
The Planet Killer

This one was great, I watched it a few days ago.

The episodes with Mudd's android women and the other one with the dark castle and the space witch were absolutely nuts lol

A lotta great stories here. Recently looked through the first ten volumes of the IDW Kelvin timeline where they tell a lot of these again from a different angle.

Pachinko

Time to dig this thread up from the dead and update it with what I've watched since posting it. Thanks for the few replies so far folks !

Season 1 , Episode 13 "The conscience of the King" - This one went right back to Twilight Zone once again, it ended up being an okay (if not a bit over complicated) episode. I mean, putting myself into the mind of someone watching this on TV back in the 60's helps because using a shakespear play as the basis for a plot was perhaps a newer thing back then. Still, it felt a tad out of place on the enterprise , reminded me of a hum drum holodeck episode on TNG. Basically- it was a decent bit of television but I felt it was a lacking bit of star trek.

Season 1, Episode 14 "Balance of Terror" - Now THIS was a fantastic episode that really pushed forward some of that trekkie stuff that you can take for granted with TNG and beyond. Kirk and a Romulan Captain having a space battle of wits and cunning near the neutral zone where so much actually feels at stake , the not so subtle space racism going on towards spock , it's just a tense well done episode. Hopefully there are more like this.

Season 1, Episode 15 "Shore Leave" - This one is a touchy episode ... it really comes across like Gene Roddenberry didn't care much for the irish, given the downright offensive character "Finnegan" and his pleasure in drinking and fighting and mocking Kirk. It is an otherwise interesting episode though , might have even influenced Micheal Chrichtons Westworld novels for all I know. You also get some more time spent with characters other than Kirk, Bones and Spock even if it is brief.

Season 1, Episode 16 "The Galileo seven" - I enjoyed this one quite a bit actually, it features Spock being stuck in command of a crew thanks to a science expedition gone wrong and being forced to accept that the logical answer isn't always the right one. The stakes feel incredibly high here even knowing the show goes on for another 50 episodes +. The only downpoint I guess , is the boring native life presented on the planet featured. Little more than big foot stand ins.

Coming up next I have the Squire of Gothos which looks like it might be another odd duck of an episode but who knows.

I'll update this thread again when I've watched another few episodes. IN the meantime, remember it's for everyone so continue to post your own experiences and impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom