• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've Become A "Trekkie"

I've always been a fan of Star Trek but in the last few months, I've been watching 5 hours of Star Trek everyday. They play the original, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise everyday for 6 days a week. I stay up and watch them from 8:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.

Since then I've become an even bigger fan than I was before. I've seen pretty much every episode of The Next Generation but there are many episodes of the original I haven't seen. There are also episodes of Deep Space Nine and Voyager I haven't seen.

Deep Space Nine and Voyager are absolutely fantastic. The stories and characters are so compelling. When I was younger I didn't really care for Deep Space Nine because I found it too political but nowadays I'm really enjoying it.

I know Voyager gets a lot of hate but I find that show to be really fun. I also like the characters quite a bit. I may like the characters a bit more in Deep Space Nine but regardless Voyager is absolutely entertaining and thoughtful.

And one last thing, I actually like Enterprise. I know that got a lot of hate but I find it to be a really good show.

So, I pretty much become a Trekkie for lack of a better word I guess.

diffusionx

Gold Member
TcPzttm.gif

What's your opinion on the movies?
I like most of them except the third movie which I found incredibly dull. In fact, I really love the first movie even though that got a lot of hate. I saw it as a small kid and thoroughly enjoyed it. The visuals are fantastic.

Probably my second favorite movie would be First Contact.

But when it comes to the original cast, I liked all of them except the third one. I even liked the fifth movie where they go and search for G-d and I know people really dislike that one.

As for the Next Generation movies, First Contact was the only real good one. And as I mentioned it's probably my second favorite after The Motion Picture.

In fact it was actually the movies I grew up with more than the original series. I know this will sound kind of blasphemous but the original series is probably my least favorite. I love the cast but it doesn't hold up too well as far as other aspects go.

I would say that my favorite Star Trek spin-off is the Next Generation.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I bought TNG, Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise on disc and ripped them to digital so I can have them on demand on my Plex server. I love that time from the series. I think Enterprise was great in the first two seasons before sort of losing its way a bit after the Xindi arc.

I didn't like DS9 at first. I thought the first couple of episodes I saw were a bit hamfisted and I stopped watching it when it was on first run broadcast TV. But when it hit syndication I gave it another shot from the beginning and it became my favorite. It's more of a serial than TNG or Voyager and I think I just didn't know how it was meant to be watched at first.

Last edited:
I bought TNG, Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise on disc and ripped them to digital so I can have them on demand on my Plex server. I love that time from the series because. I think Enterprise was great in the first two seasons before sort of losing its way a bit after the Xindi arc.

I didn't like DS9 at first. I thought the first couple of episodes I saw were a bit hamfisted and I stopped watching it when it was on first run broadcast TV. But when it hit syndication I gave it another shot from the beginning and it became my favorite. It's more of a serial than TNG or Voyager and I think I just didn't know how it was meant to be watched at first.
I actually really liked the Xindi arc in season 3. I thought that was very enjoyable.

Right now I'm on the episodes and season 4 where they're dealing with Terra Prime. As you already know, it's the one about the human supremacists. Peter Weller is great as the guy who runs it.

And yeah I didn't like Deep Space Nine at first either but now I consider it one of the best spin-offs. It has such a great cast of characters and they are truly diverse. At least half of the main cast are aliens and I really love seeing that. You get to find out all sorts of things about the different alien races whether it be Trill, Changelings, Bajorans, Ferengei, Cardassians, etc. I just really love how they have all these different species that we go deep into. I think that's one aspect of this show I'm really enjoying. And like I said it's also just the great cast overall.

I should mention that I've seen very little of nu-Trek. I think I've seen about first six episodes of Discovery and just the first episode of Picard and Strange New Worlds. Strange New Worlds looks decent and I've heard good things about it but these newer shows just don't feel the same. Everything looks dark and people are swearing and that's not the Star Trek I've grown accustomed to.

Picard season 3 is quite good, I would not bother with the first 2 seasons
Yeah that's what I've been hearing. I was thinking of subscribing to Paramount Plus for just a month just to watch nu-Star Trek. Since I've become such a huge fan of the 90s and 2000s Star Trek I feel I might not be complete without watching the new stuff even though it seems pretty bad.

Soltype

I should mention that I've seen very little of nu-Trek. I think I've seen about first six episodes of Discovery and just the first episode of Picard and Strange New Worlds. Strange New Worlds looks decent and I've heard good things about it but these newer shows just don't feel the same. Everything looks dark and people are swearing and that's not the Star Trek I've grown accustomed to.
I was going to chime in and say you're going to run out of stuff to watch because most of the new stuff isn't that good

I was going to chime in and say you're going to run out of stuff to watch because most of the new stuff isn't that good
I watch six episodes of Discovery and I really did not enjoy it. I couldn't connect to any of the characters. I know Jason Isaacs is in it and he's a pretty good actor but not sure if he can do it alone for me.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeah that's what I've been hearing. I was thinking of subscribing to Paramount Plus for just a month just to watch nu-Star Trek. Since I've become such a huge fan of the 90s and 2000s Star Trek I feel I might not be complete without watching the new stuff even though it seems pretty bad.

Lower Decks is awesome! Just know that it's a COMEDY first and foremost! It's really a love letter to TNG. Think of it like an animated The Orville with Star Trek ships and characters!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I watch six episodes of Discovery and I really did not enjoy it. I couldn't connect to any of the characters. I know Jason Isaacs is in it and he's a pretty good actor but not sure if he can do it alone for me.

I would start with Season 2 when Pike and co come in. Season 1 isn't worth it. There's more good episodes than bad in season 2... It stays at about that quality the rest of the series.

I would start with Season 2 when Pike and co come in. Season 1 isn't worth it. There's more good episodes than bad in season 2... It stays at about that quality the rest of the series.
I'm about six episodes in to Discovery so I figure I might as well watch the rest of season 1 when I have the chance next time. I'll just suffer through it and then go to season 2 from that point.

Trilobit

My first contact with The Original Series from the 60s was about 8 years ago. I had only seen the parodies of Kirk in various media so I was shocked when what greeted me was a highly professional captain with great reverence to rules. Because it was filmed in that era it made the men actually act and look like men and not like overgrown manboys in Nu-Trek.

Just seeing Spock handle each situation with that extreme calmness made me feel calm and seeing Kirk with his amazing charisma made me want to join the Star Fleet.

Nothing can top the original show, but Next Gen and some others are very good still. Except for Discovery, ugh!

Ballthyrm

You too can join the Club and experience the stain that is Alex Kurtzman on the Star Trek franchise.

You can watch The Orville to get your fix now.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I don't even know where I would go in the UK to binge on so many old Trek shows. I used to watch the original series after school in the 80s and that will always be the best one to me. I liked Voyager more than many people, but I feel that DS9 is favoured by people who are really full lifestyle trekkies and want to feel they can really live in the federation.

Kilau

You can’t just declare yourself a “Trekkie”!

After your 5th convention you need to get sponsored and a vote is taken. If you pass the vote you then have to give a 5 minute speech entirely in Klingon with zero mistakes.

Only then can you be called a Trekkie.

Fans these days…

star trek facepalm GIF
Star Trek Facepalm GIF
bitch slap GIF

I rewatched the series finale of Enterprise last night. I've already seen it a couple times but man that show was done dirty. It didn't deserve to end like that.

I'm getting prepared to try out Paramount Plus. I think I have a free trial because I've never tried them before. I'm really up to trying to watch Discovery again. If anything, I do like that alien species they find outside the galaxy that they call Species 10-C. I heard they're one of the most alien species in Star Trek as a whole.

Of course then I want to move on to Picard and Strange New Worlds. I know most of these aren't that good but I feel I owe it to myself to watch them now that I've gone into being a hardcore Trek fan.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My wife and I are huge Trekkies

She's literally in the movie Trekkies

NuTrek sucks though

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I rewatched the series finale of Enterprise last night. I've already seen it a couple times but man that show was done dirty. It didn't deserve to end like that.

I'm getting prepared to try out Paramount Plus. I think I have a free trial because I've never tried them before. I'm really up to trying to watch Discovery again. If anything, I do like that alien species they find outside the galaxy that they call Species 10-C. I heard they're one of the most alien species in Star Trek as a whole.

Of course then I want to move on to Picard and Strange New Worlds. I know most of these aren't that good but I feel I owe it to myself to watch them now that I've gone into being a hardcore Trek fan.

Don't forget Lower Decks!

Edit: and Species 10-C is amazing! Best reveal of a new species in EONS!

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Grew up on the originals, but I'd have to say, I've enjoyed TNG the most. I really appreciated just how wonderfully they brought the series into a new era without being simply more of the same. They all feel like the same family, but truly different generations. Good stuff.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I saw clips from Lower Decks and it looks pretty terrible. I hate how everybody is yelling. I really don't care for that type of animation and I never cared for stuff like Rick and Morty.

They always choose the weirdest clips. The Orion girl and the cyborg guy (I ALWAYS forget their names) hardly ever yell. It's usually Mariner or Boimler doing most of the yelling... And that's only in certain scenes. No one is always yelling tho. Season 3 has been the best season so far.

Last edited:

Facism

That feel when you finish a binge of Trek and then have to start a new binge on some other Trek to fill the void the last binge left.

This makes no sense, sure the quality of the first two seasons is not the same as Season 3, but how can you skip those?
From what I can see each season is almost a standalone. They introduced some kind of ancient and powerful Reaper-like ripoffs in the first season and they never resolved anything about them in the next two seasons.

The second season is just about time traveling to a dystopian past.

The third season deals with everyone getting back together and fighting the Borg again.

At least that's my understanding.

They always choose the weirdest clips. The Orion girl and the cyborg guy (I ALWAYS forget their names) hardly ever yell. It's usually Mariner or Boimler doing most of the yelling... And that's only in certain scenes. No one is always yelling tho. Season 3 has been the best season so far.
I've watched a few clips and it just seems like everybody's yelling. It seems like one of those cartoons where everyone is hyperactive. In fact I think the one I saw it actually had Riker doing somebody yelling and acting out of character.

I just don't think I will like it because I don't really like Rick and Morty or anything like that. In fact Rick and Morty annoy the fuck out of me. I will admit I like South Park and I used to like Family Guy but that's about it.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I just don't think I will like it because I don't really like Rick and Morty or anything like that. In fact Rick and Morty annoy the fuck out of me. I will admit I like South Park and I used to like Family Guy but that's about it.
Lower Decks is the best Star Trek show in a long time, and it’s not even close. The tone is focused on comedy, but it has a lot of heart. It was a bit rough in season 1 but found its voice in season 2, and really figured things out in season 3.

Sound familiar?

jason10mm

Gold Member
So I started SNW. This seems to be the only active trek thread ATM so I'll just put my thoughts here.

Overall I like it. It avoids the worst of the visual and editing nonsense going on in Discovery. They INSIST on having character pathology as a defining characteristic though "Hi, I'm the captain and I fear my own death", "Hi I'm the security officer and my parents were killed", "Hi, I'm the communications officer and my parents were killed", etc but thats just modern writers what can't focus on external versus internal motivations. So here's hoping that Oretga, the doc guy, niurse chapel, etc don't ALSO have shattering personal secrets yet to be revealed.

THey also give lip service to the "plot" at times, where they pull some orchestrated maneuver out of their ass. The "planning" isn't important to this show, just the flashy execution. But I"m only on the first few eps and this seems to be shifting more towards traditional trek stuff, with "Solving the problem", even with technobabble, is the focus and they don't just rush the solution.

I gotta say though, WTF is running the writers room when the FIRST EP has "starfllet has this new experimental genetic modification" and the THIRD EP has "Starfleet FORBIDS genetic modification" as plot pints? WTF? Goddamn Akiva and Alec.....

Still, I think I owe someone a beer....

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Oh, and here is another pet peeve that pervades modern writing.

The CONSTANT self-affirmation of "I am a genius", "I'm good at my job", etc. In the older shows folks DID things that showed they were competent and skilled. But all too often these days the writers can only SAY a character is wonderful rather than set up situations where they SHOW it (or worse, they do both and make the character seem arrogant and narcissistic).

I hope they get this stuff out of their system early. It probably happened more than I remember in the the old days but you couldn't string multiple episodes in a row to really appreciate it.

And goddammit, now we DO have two more officers with secrets. Jesus Christ, can ANYONE just want to join starfleet to fly around and bang green space chicks??? (don't tell me, it's gonna be Ortega, isn't it? :p

Top Bottom