• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Acolyte Reportedly Introduces Pronouns, The Force as a Female Entity

Scotty W

Banned
That's because the next step is: if you believe in the Force, the Force will come to you. Congrats, you are a Jedi now.
I wish I could find it, but there was a Star Wars commercial a few years ago of a family doing yoga, and one says to the other “the force helps us with yoga.”

The Force is a powerful marketing tool, and thus, at the very least, an potential tool for social engineering.

Valonquar

So I guess right now Hollywood is spending a lot of effort to intentionally destroy every franchise, so that they can fully reboot all of them for one more cash grab 10 years from now, and then ultimately shelve them entirely. I look forward to truly new content in 2045!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah, you’re not imagining things, that’s exactly what Lucas was going for. The fandom overreacted and missed the point since it was different and wasn’t executed perfectly.

But now we know what cheap fan service slop feels like in comparison. Everyone got what we thought we wanted, the easy gratification path, and it was a hollow and short-lived victory.
People seem to forget this little snippet that became a meme,
george-lucas.gif

I think some need to watch the behind the scenes more and listen to his talks on stage, as well as books that you mentioned. Hell, they did Star Wars in Shakespeare style books and it translates and fits perfectly. A buddy bought me the set for Christmas one time, and I was shocked how well it 'fit.'

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
george-lucas.gif

I think some need to watch the behind the scenes more and listen to his talks on stage, as well as books that you mentioned. Hell, they did Star Wars in Shakespeare style books and it translates and fits perfectly. A buddy bought me the set for Christmas one time, and I was shocked how well it 'fit.'
Taschen Star Wars Archives (prequel version) is one giant Lucas interview alongside a ton of interesting production material. It’s the most he’s ever opened up about the prequels. Definitely worth checking out. After rewatching the prequels with a fresh perspective (including a greater appreciation for the Classics these days) and reading that book my opinion changed.

george-lucas.gif

This quote comes from George Lucas in the article I posted earlier:

Lucas himself has admitted to not making dialogue a high priority in his films. In 2002, he told The Guardian, “I see film as a visual medium with a musical accompaniment, and dialogue is a raft that goes on with it. I create films that way – very visually – and the dialogue’s not what’s important. I’m one of those people who says, yes, cinema died when they invented sound.”

In the same article Ewan McGregor says the dialogue "wasn't Shakespeare". If the movies WERE inspired by Shakespeare you wouldn't kick your director in the teeth by saying otherwise.

If someone can present evidence (that isn't 20 years after the prequel's release) and it shows me the awful writing was a stylistic choice then I'll admit I'm wrong. Up till then I'm going to take this all as fan disillusionment.

Last edited:
All of those things were Lucas creations. Not Disney.

And you all have YOURSELVES to blame for Lucas selling to Disney. If y'all hadn't complained about EVERYTHING he did post Return of the Jedi, he might still be in charge. But nope... He grew disillusioned by the constant "fan" backlash of his new projects and people saying that he forgot what Star Wars was.

So enjoy what you all sowed.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Handshake GIF

cjp

Lucas himself has admitted to not making dialogue a high priority in his films. In 2002, he told The Guardian, “I see film as a visual medium with a musical accompaniment, and dialogue is a raft that goes on with it. I create films that way – very visually – and the dialogue’s not what’s important. I’m one of those people who says, yes, cinema died when they invented sound.”

In the same article Ewan McGregor says the dialogue "wasn't Shakespeare". If the movies WERE inspired by Shakespeare you wouldn't kick your director in the teeth by saying otherwise.

If someone can present evidence (that isn't 20 years after the prequel's release) and it shows me the awful writing was a stylistic choice then I'll admit I'm wrong. Up till then I'm going to take this all as fan disillusionment.

lmao has he been banned for this

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Ok. Wasn't, yes, but you wouldn't kick your director in the teeth by saying otherwise.

See, EviLore EviLore 's follow up post. It's very much stageplay directed.

If you ever seen a live stageplay, it's very much like it in cadence and direct delivery.

Disney is a soulless husk in contrast. Down to the constant breaking of the 4th wall which took you right out the of space fantasy to inject modern earth tropes in the culture war.

The original trilogy and even as shit as the prequels were in their comparative context, they still left you with the world building and illusion of the sci-fantasy.

Last edited:

Hudo

So I can fuck the Force?

george-lucas.gif

Also: William Shakespeare's Star Wars sounds right up my alley. King Lear and Macbeth are among my favorite stories (and story structures)

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member

And you all have YOURSELVES to blame for Lucas selling to Disney. If y'all hadn't complained about EVERYTHING he did post Return of the Jedi, he might still be in charge. But nope... He grew disillusioned by the constant "fan" backlash of his new projects and people saying that he forgot what Star Wars was.

Meh. Criticism of the PT was valid and warranted. They're just simply badly made movies (to varying degrees).

I don't think it should be the "fans fault" for not accepting being given shit leading to even worse shit. It's just from bad to worse ever since Episode 1. It's impossible to watch a PT movie today with a straight face that nobody should have complained about it, they're bad in some really embarrassing ways.

StueyDuck

I'm fairly certain he would have sold the ip mostly for money.

It was the biggest ip purchase at the time

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It's already underway. All the gate keeping and backlash wasn't enough. The next year or two will be fun to watch.
I saw it coming. I had big fan accounts call me a doomer and black pilled and turns out I was right. It's only going to get worse.

FunkMiller

It's not exactly the highest rated show ever - far from it - but the viewing figures are enough for Disney to crow about it, and perception is reality. Meaning that this will likely get a second season. And it will be thanks to a bunch of clickbait rage artists and their fans who would rather prop up these terrible shows than let them die a deserved death.

It's become a parasitic industry, where one bunch of arseholes feeds off another, who in turn feed back off of them.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Massive congratulations to all the hate watching idiots who no doubt contributed to this.

Accept it’s not for you anymore. Move on, and let them have it.

This could be just people being curious about a train wreck.
The real test, is to maintain these figures.

Regardless, I haven't watched anything Start Wars, since The Last Jedi.
That thing was so mediocre, it killed all my interest for this saga.

FunkMiller

This could be just people being curious about a train wreck.
The real test, is to maintain these figures.

Probably too late to make much difference. The way Disney work is that they'll 'forget' to issue those figures if they sink. Damage already done.

Note how they haven't mentioned the Doctor Who viewing figures, for instance.

Last edited:

T-0800

It's not exactly the highest rated show ever - far from it - but the viewing figures are enough for Disney to crow about it, and perception is reality. Meaning that this will likely get a second season. And it will be thanks to a bunch of clickbait rage artists and their fans who would rather prop up these terrible shows than let them die a deserved death.

It's become a parasitic industry, where one bunch of arseholes feeds off another, who in turn feed back off of them.
Stop being silly. The percentage of people 'hate watching' this would be such a small percentage it wouldn't make a difference.

Scotty W

Banned

In the same article Ewan McGregor says the dialogue "wasn't Shakespeare". If the movies WERE inspired by Shakespeare you wouldn't kick your director in the teeth by saying otherwise
There is a crucial difference between being like Shakespeare and being inspired by Shakespeare.

Lucas may have been inspired by Shakespeare, but that doesn’t mean his dialogue is good, or that it excuses the badness of the dialogue.

With that said, Lucas’ writing often has a kind of naïveté which can be charming, but which can easily cross over into absurdity. Strangely, he became a worse writer of dialogue as he got older.

Madflavor

Warhammer 40k is next, unfortunately.
It's already underway. All the gate keeping and backlash wasn't enough. The next year or two will be fun to watch.

lol I’m so glad these fucking tourists will never go near Berserk. That’s one IP I’m confident they’ll never go near. It’ll trigger the absolute shit out of them from the very first page.

Sucks for WH40k though. Least it had a good run.

Ozriel

M$FT

You truly think it needed angry YouTubers to make a Star Wars show popular?

Not the IP, not the (very prevalent) marketing?

Lmao

FunkMiller

Stop being silly. The percentage of people 'hate watching' this would be such a small percentage it wouldn't make a difference.

On 4.8 million views, I think your being very naive to think that the cottage industry that's grown up around ragebait social media across the internet hasn't contributed a decent amount to that figure. The Critical Drinker on his own has 2 million subscribers on YouTube.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Day 1 viewership for the first episode of the show is not nearly as important as the viewership numbers for the following weeks. A show with a big debut can go down. A show with a small debut can go up.

High first day numbers only indicate initial interest from viewers. Viewership from later episodes is indicative of whether or not their interest has maintained, and if the show has good/bad word of mouth.

MayauMiao

Massive congratulations to all the hate watching idiots who no doubt contributed to this.

Of 2024 but I wonder how it compares with previous D+ series premier.

Maybe Disney stock will go up seeing how this means they make money back after spending $180 mil to produce it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I unsubbed after there last price increase, I remember when it was £40 a year, it's over double that now and produces shit like Willow, so I was done.

Have they released anything Starwars this year other than this? I mean I don't remember anything making waves that they could claim to beat in 2024.

Last edited:
lol I’m so glad these fucking tourists will never go near Berserk. That’s one IP I’m confident they’ll never go near. It’ll trigger the absolute shit out of them from the very first page.
If they did he's called "The Black Swordsman" for a reason. lmao.

Davey Cakes

On 4.8 million views, I think your being very naive to think that the cottage industry that's grown up around ragebait social media across the internet hasn't contributed a decent amount to that figure. The Critical Drinker on his own has 2 million subscribers on YouTube.
I do think it's funny that the same people who joke about "don't question, just consume" are there DAY 1 for these shows because it's literally the source of their content.

Hate-watching is a real thing and I imagine Hollywood knows this. It's why the actors revel in the negativity. The media also benefits from the easy clickbait.

It's a massive circuit. A feedback loop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom