• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Acolyte Reportedly Introduces Pronouns, The Force as a Female Entity

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
lol I’m so glad these fucking tourists will never go near Berserk. That’s one IP I’m confident they’ll never go near. It’ll trigger the absolute shit out of them from the very first page.

Sucks for WH40k though. Least it had a good run.
Well it's a Japanese franchise. They're mostly immune to it unless you consider translators.

T-0800

On 4.8 million views, I think your being very naive to think that the cottage industry that's grown up around ragebait social media across the internet hasn't contributed a decent amount to that figure. The Critical Drinker on his own has 2 million subscribers on YouTube.
I'd be shocked if that percentage accounted for more than 5% of the numbers. Anyway we will never know so lets just agree that I'm right. :)

Being old I remember the biggest complaint with the prequels was George trying to put too much politics into it, as in, actual intergalactic politics with the senate and all that stuff kids didn't care about. Now the Disney stuff is all gender politics and race bullshit.

I would insert the "George Lucas its like poetry" gif but giphy can't find it, you get the idea.

Activism invading pop culture isn't inherently a bad thing, it's the execution that matters.

The problem is that instead of offering practical - tried and true - advice about dealing with fundamental and urgent problems, the media is flooded with poor and impractical preaching in an attempt to emphasize issues that are more often than not secondary in their importance.

And even when they do focus on important matters (climate, poverty, abuse etc) the purpose is usually just to "build awareness", which is another way of saying "we have nothing constructive to contribute but hope someone else does". It's very shallow and cynical.
The media is controlled by a few extremely rich individuals who want to see the middle class and poor fighting each other instead of fighting them

That's the whole reason for all of this constant sowing of division and hatred, it's just to keep us distracted from what the richest are doing

Fbh

In a Lucas produced episode 7-9, someone like Finn or Poe would have been a fully CG pink florescent alien sea cucumber with a bad stutter and a drug habit, and the other would be a schizophrenic two-headed robot.

There would be a side-plot involving shrinking down to the size of microbes and invading the body of one of the lesser villains, complete with 20 minutes of gratuitous eye-melting cgi featuring one-shot characters that look interesting enough to star in their own adventure, action figures of these being available for sale of course.

Instead of X-Wings and TIE fighters we'd have some kind of new biological ships, the main villain's super-weapon would be a plague that turns everyone into space-zombies and at some point R2 and threepio would show up except they'd be body swapped because reasons.

Parts of it would be cringe, parts would be glorious, most would be highly entertaining when viewed with the right mindset.

Pretty much.
It might sound silly but I always saw the Star Wars prequels in a similar way to a lot of anime and JRPG's in that the actual dialogue isn't very good, but the plot, characters and world are enjoyable.
It's a bit like, I don't know, FFX. Sure the actual dialogue is pretty bad, the haha scene is just as bad as the Anakin/Padme scenes in Episode 2 and the main character is Meg Ryan in a clown costume. But in the end I still enjoyed it, I liked a lot of the themes, and locations and creatures and the overall journey was fun even if the moment to moment dialogue was bland.

The prequels were a bit like that for me. I loved the new locations like Naboo, loved the droids, the new ships and tech, pod racing, the music was just as amazing as the OT, I liked young Obi Wan, Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, General Grievous, etc. Loved seeing the world when the Jedi were still around and the story of Anakin turning to the dark side and the fall of the Jedi was fun even if the actual dialogue wasn't great.

Meanwhile modern Star Wars has nothing of that. Except for a few good moments it feels sterile and uninspired, like it was designed in a board room instead of the mind of a creative visionary. It's more about pushing nostalgia and making social statements than any sort of true creative vision

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
You can fly your spaceship rocket into my deathstar anytime baby.

Star Twerk GIF

Toons

Light side of the force was a female entity ten years ago in the cartoon.

Edit: actually they doubled down on this in season 7 which aired in 2020 but was written pre Disney: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Force_Priestesses

Yoda encountered them and they all are basically formless but appear and sound feminine iirc.

Id have expected a force entity to be feminine tbh

Also wtf does "introduce pronouns" mean?

Last edited:

Toons

Being old I remember the biggest complaint with the prequels was George trying to put too much politics into it, as in, actual intergalactic politics with the senate and all that stuff kids didn't care about. Now the Disney stuff is all gender politics and race bullshit.

Beyond simply featuring minority characters theres very little actual discussion of these topics in the media. As usual its the "fans" always fighting about something.

And it was happening well before Disney took over. Jar jar banks alone was a hot bed of racial controversy at a time

Meh. Ill wait til ep 3 to see what happens. I doubt its going to be as sensationional as the YouTube have made it out to be, but the shows been pretty good so far and that matters far more to me

Last edited:
I can see the force being female as it does have a dark side plus when you get a get angry, the lightsaber crystal goes red....On a more serious note, the main problem is that the new stuff is just hot garbage. Actually one of my favourite episodes of the new Last of Us TV series was the one with Bill. I actually normally don't like it when they purposely put more emphasis on stuff that in the original source material was just there as context but it was done really well.

Top Bottom