• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration 2017 |OT| A thread forty years in the making. You'll be Omazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
Anything noteworthy happen since the trailer this morning?

The world with the red ash trail ships is an abandoned Rebel base and mining world named Crait; Mark Hamill disagreed with Rian Johnson's direction for Luke but his fears were quelled once things picked up; Rian Johnson says "The Last Jedi" is singular; and never trust people to believe the word "teaser".

Surfinn

The world with the red ash trail ships is an abandoned Rebel base and mining world named Crait; Mark Hamill disagreed with Rian Johnson's direction for Luke but his fears were quelled once things picked up; Rian Johnson says "The Last Jedi" is singular; and never trust people to believe the word "teaser".
Thank you. So Luke eventually warmed up to his vision?

-griffy-

Banned
I'm kind of confused by what some people expected from this teaser. Like, it's WAY more substantive than the first TFA teaser, and even teases you a hell of a lot more than the second one with Luke's dialog. And each shot in the thing is really cool and restrained in exactly the way I would hope a Rian Johnson Star Wars movie would look like. Imagining the scenes and story that will wrap around the stuff we saw gets me super hyped.

kevin1025

Banned
Thank you. So Luke eventually warmed up to his vision?

He had nothing but glowing things to say about Johnson during the panel, even calling him God, haha. I mentioned it in the teaser thread, I think it's that he made the character super cynical and morally grey and so it may taint the Return of the Jedi ending a little; but the Jedi training and Ben Solo fall was so painful that it left the character in a bad spot for the beginning of The Last Jedi.

But that is just on speculation!

Surfinn

He had nothing but glowing things to say about Johnson during the panel, even calling him God, haha. I mentioned it in the teaser thread, I think it's that he made the character super cynical and morally grey and so it may taint the Return of the Jedi ending a little; but the Jedi training and Ben Solo fall was so painful that it left the character in a bad spot for the beginning of The Last Jedi.

But that is just on speculation!
Faith restored. If Mark is happy, I think I'll be happy. Sounds like Rian took a big risk.

But but. Disneyification. Am I right

Seigyoku

Ran into Pablo Hidalgo at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Got to talk to him for a few minutes and get a picture with him.

I almost went to talk to him there but thought I'd maybe annoyed him on twitter enough the last few days. Hopefully will actually meet him tomorrow or Sunday and he won't run screaming.

Anyone know what is going on with the damn lines and stupid people lining up? I'm not going for Battlefront (Disney panel) but I'm 0/2 on Galaxy stage and I actually like Rebels and would REALLY like to get into that one, but JUST got back from DHS and am Dead Tired.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Just got around to finishing Mark's Carrie Fisher tribute from last night. He did a really wonderful job. You really get a sense of what a witty, strong yet innately empathetic woman Carrie was and just how much she meant to those closest to her.

Mark was given an unenviable task and he pulled it off beautifully.

Ferr986

wait what? European translations are plural.

Does Hasbro have a panel?
I know some stuff has slowly been revealed like
Black-Series-Thrawn-001.jpg
and the 6" vehicles.

Metalmarc

Hey Gaf who are actually at celebration, how was the feeling around the place after the Trailer was shown?

Judging from the stream alone, the atmosphere of the crowd seemed to change from Super Hype to just normal. Not holy shit we just witnessed an awesome Trailer, we are super excited.

This was the reaction to the Trailer on the Con Floor not in the Panel.

https://youtu.be/bvNPucWZR18

obin_gam

Hey Gaf who are actually at celebration, how was the feeling around the place after the Trailer was shown?

Judging from the stream alone, the atmosphere of the crowd seemed to change from Super Hype to just normal. Not holy shit we just witnessed an awesome Trailer, we are super excited.

This was the reaction to the Trailer on the Con Floor not in the Panel.

https://youtu.be/bvNPucWZR18

Why are they cheering at a logo?

People were excited about the teaser. But a lot of us were FUCKING MISERABLE at the event. It's easier to show more excitement when you're watching from afar with having some sleep, not dealing with all the stupid and freezing all night to get in, general disorganization, rude idiots, etc.

The response in the panel was tremendous. Complete strangers were high fiving me and others after it. But yeah at the same time most people there had been put through the ringer. We went to bed like right after the panel. I got up to go to the bathroom and just collapsed because my legs were fucked up.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm more excited for Battlefront II's trailer than I was for The Last Jedi.

Not even joking.

Edit: Brandon that does not sound like it was worth it

Unit 33

Future of Star Wars Panel:

The lights are dim, no figures can be seen on the stage.
The audience shuffles restlessly in the darkness.

A shadowy figure drops from the ceiling onto the stage, illuminated by a sudden blinding light.

'HELLO THERE'

Ewan Mcgregger is Ben Kenobi in: Old Ben: A Star Wars Story 2020

Edit: Brandon that does not sound like it was worth it

It was. I'm thinking about how awesome it was rather than the bad stuff. The bad stuff happened but I'm thinking about meeting Rian Johnson, seeing Daisy, Josh Gad, Boeyga, Kathleen, getting my Celebration badge signed by Rian, seeing the trailer with everyone. Getting a copy of the teaser poster.

The suffering was real, but you have to go through it for stuff like this. Had I seen it online I'd have thought as I always do, man, I'd have did anything to be there!

Metalmarc

People were excited about the teaser. But a lot of us were FUCKING MISERABLE at the event. It's easier to show more excitement when you're watching from afar with having some sleep, not dealing with all the stupid and freezing all night to get in, general disorganization, rude idiots, etc.

The response in the panel was tremendous. Complete strangers were high fiving me and others after it. But yeah at the same time most people there had been put through the ringer. We went to bed like right after the panel. I got up to go to the bathroom and just collapsed because my legs were fucked up.

Ahh cool, now i understand.

note to self dont do star wars celebration, as i fucking hate queues

CS_Dan

Sounds way worse than London. But then, we didn't queue up overnight as we had to travel overnight after work.

Sounds way worse than London. But then, we didn't queue up overnight as we had to travel overnight after work.

A few factors:
-waited outside between 5pm and 8pm, OK not bad
-8pm let EVERYONE into a large MESH and tried to filter us through a whopping THREE security checkpoints
-people were pushing and shoving and elbowing in front of others, groups were trying to form and stay together in the mosh pit
-they tried to form lines AFTER letting 3000+ people into the security hall... yes way
-despite plenty of room, once in the queue line people were cramming themselves together regardless, some dude that was on the floor sleeping, his head was under the chair I was sitting in
-around 3am they turned the temperature down and it was no more than 50 degrees, despite being in Orlando fucking Florida in a room with thousands of people everyone was freezing
-wristbands were given a few hours before the panel, but they had everyone move through the line to a station where they gave the bands, and had us go around again in another mosh pit BACK into the same exact line, so your place didn't matter, people behind you were now hundreds of spots in front
-combine this with no sleep, people being idiots, and then the morning crowd being let in causing ten minute waits for the RESTROOMS even

...yeah it could've been handled better. But I also blame the attendees for constantly breaking rules and being dumb in general.

Brandon is right on how everything was. It was painful. This is my first convention that I ever visited but according to what the people told me it was the worst of all the Star Wars comventions that they've been to.

I really don't want to go back and work as a volunteer but I'm scheduled to go in soon. Here's hoping that this day goes a little better. I don't want people to scream at me again for doing a terrible job (they're right of course. But I'm already dealing with upset black shirts and fans). Luckily I'll bring a different shirt so that I can change from my volunteer shirt to an incognito one.

Have fun guys!

IHaveIce

Banned
What? The title is already translated in their official international trailers as plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom