• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Constellation Edition will ship only with Digital Code. Base release has disk.

MikeM

PC is already digital and you can play it on gamepass for less than 20 bucks. Not sure what the physical demand will be but it has to be low.
Thats likely my plan.
Cannot wait for physical to be gone, if only so we don't have to have the same points laid out over and over.
Less options. Yes- thats great for everyone…

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

StereoVsn

You buy physical on PC? where from my dude?
On PC with Steam codes there are a multitude of key sellers. There is a lot of competition so you can get decent prices.

You can't resell the codes, but you already normally aren't paying $70-€80 for a game.

Well, it's different if you want EA/Ubi/MS game on Steam since you can't buy Steam codes for these games on legit websites.

There are a few sites that sell Xbox/Win Store codes, but they are rare and prices normally suck.

So in conclusion, its always good to have options. Having physical option on Xbox means you can often get cheaper prices on release, especially in Europe, and also can resell the game or buy used. The shit MS is trying to pull with Starfield is anti-consumer.

Puscifer

Good.

Digital is the future. Physical games have felt archaic for two generations now (especially Xbox and PS games).

I feel like many complaining here have no problem buying games on steam. And plan on buying starfield on steam rather than Xbox, lmao.
We have options on PC and Valve is so hands off and soft with the Steamworks DRM that they made it attractive. I can download those games crack them and take them elsewhere, meanwhile Microsofts DRM on Xbox is bold in it's intrusiveness, Sony much less so I'll give them that but given their constantly changing stance on backwards compatibility and soldered components with the PS5 I can't trust the longevity of my collection to them.

Am I weird for wanting to hold onto physical media? Yeah definitely. But I also don't understand why companies are sabotaging it intentionally for people who do choose to go that way and why consumers cheer them on for doing so.

Last edited:

Gexxy1

I feel like many complaining here have no problem buying games on steam. And plan on buying starfield on steam rather than Xbox, lmao.

Steam games go on sale more often and are cheaper on average even without sales (Omori: $20 Steam, $30 PSN: Marfusha: $8 Steam, $12 PSN, etc). You can also get refunds for any reason. When consoles start doing that maybe you'd actually have an argument.

There is literally no reason for MS doing this other than to be cheap in skipping payment of Blu-Ray licensing fees & discs (a company near $3 trillion in market cap can't afford this?), and also wanting to force people into an all-digital ecosystem future (one that primarily benefits them).

It's slimy, it's greedy, it's petty....and it REALLY sucks for those of us who still have to work with data caps, or people who literally can't get higher-speed internet options because they're either in some remote rural area or they're in a district that a crappy ISP has monopolized to prevent competitors from offering alternatives. And I think that reality exists for a good deal of gamers in places like America.

Companies like Microsoft seem to think everyone lives in NYC or LA, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

for being a AAA release they are sure being cheapskates

Yep. Maximizing profit margins by removing options for the paying customers.

But you can already see the apologists trying to get out ahead of this.

This sucks. Even though it will be on Game Pass forever I need to own a physical copy of all BGS RPGs. It probably doesn't really matter. I feel the same way about Halo but who knows if my box contains and actual disc of Infinite since I've never opened it.

Will it? They could always pull a Disney and start removing their own content periodically, and put it into a vault.

Considering MS have already done many things people swore they'd never do, I wouldn't be surprised if certain 1P games eventually get pulled off the service at least momentarily. I'm talking different from stuff like older Forzas getting delisted, mind.

Last edited:
Whenever or if the digital-only people get their wish, then I hope for their sake being under complete subjugation to publishers will be worth it.

Last edited:
Eh, steam has forgone disc for a millennia at this point.
Maybe a hot take but if they’re going to go this route - just sell the game as digital only and eliminate the product on the shelf altogether.
There will probably be a big historic franchise doing this soon. Maybe Rockstar is toying with the idea with gta 6, you already going to be playing gta online forever anyway.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Steam games go on sale more often and are cheaper on average even without sales (Omori: $20 Steam, $30 PSN: Marfusha: $8 Steam, $12 PSN, etc). You can also get refunds for any reason. When consoles start doing that maybe you'd actually have an argument.
You can get every Xbox game cheap from Turkey, Brazil or Argentina. Takes 1 minute. Also PS games. You can preorder Spider-Man 2 for around 30 Euro from the Turkey store.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So much for games preservation, huh Phil?

FQJhmFH.jpg
I see why people want physical. It’s the physical evidence of the video game industry. Arcade machines represent a golden era of video games. Having a ROM of that isn’t the same experience, even though it’s easier if someone wants to play the game. Companies switched from paper to digital storage lockers in the cloud. Our medical and insurance information is all stored somewhere. A lot of people opt out of getting snail mail sent to their house. A game can be coded on a PC with no physical parts beyond the computer it’s made on. My guess is the same logic is being used with digital games. Your health records beyond your birth certificate and your social security card (NA citizens) are on some server out there. My guess is that Phil sees it like the big archive of video games from Ready Player One. They’ll reserve space for those games. Which in reality, is not a bad thing. It’s better than nothing.

hyperbertha

weird? I get being pro-digital for its conveniences and the general pyric victory/defeat of discs often needing massive patches on day one, but why be anti-physical? What's in it for you to be against those who want boxed copies?
He wants everyone to own nothing and be happy. It's for your own good

cireza

Dumb. Being able to resell is the only remaining advantage of physical, if you put a code instead of a disc, then it becomes impossible.

Let us resell our games FFS.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Dumb. Being able to resell is the only remaining advantage of physical, if you put a code instead of a disc, then it becomes impossible.

Let us resell our games FFS.
It isn't the only advantage. Physical lets you see the true state a game shipped in, so revisionists can't say the Last Guardian didn't ship with a 60fps mode for instance.

Even my physical copy of NMS allows me to replay the game in its original AA state - which I actually liked - even if the game game has been massively expanded and improved to AAA.

All digital is gatekeeping to the documenting of history. No one should be able to rewrite historical evidence, and that's why I just don't subscribe to that digital future. Anything worth being created will have an offline physical version IMO

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I will never understand people who gleefully champion for fewer end user options and more corporate control over the products they purchase

I'm just surprised people have the energy to make the same posts every time an end to physical is mentioned.

At this moment in time, given the number of day one patches, online integration, acceptance of terms and conditions that goes on, I'm not sure that this represents any extra corporate control, aside from not being able to trade it.

But, this is also said every time, so having triggered the irony meter, I'm off!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Consoles already do that tho.

Chukhopops

Sounds like something the EU could and should fine them heavily over given the acquisition is still pretty fresh and this is clearly an anti-consumer consequence of the acquisition, because Zenimax could never afford to pull such a move because of the lost sales from consumer pushback.
200.gif

lmao what?

Tons of games are sold physical without disc or especially cartridge those days, I don’t think that’s illegal in any way.

PaintTinJr

200.gif

lmao what?

Tons of games are sold physical without disc or especially cartridge those days, I don’t think that’s illegal in any way.
We aren't talking about company choice, because financially this makes no sense, much like cancelling the PS5 version made no financial sense. This was a $7b acquisition that had to meet approval from regulators and this is anti-consumer and a negative of the acquisition. The EU would be well within their rights to force Microsoft to change their stance or fine them a large amount to discourage such anti-consumer actions for high-end AAA games, where expectation is to physically own a version on the disc and all the advantages that brings to consumers.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

There's an environmental positive in not making more plastic discs. So that's one possible reason.
Only if you own the reality of no physical sale. This is both bad for the environment and the consumer, just arsehole boardroom decision making from people that should be nowhere near our hobby, which is an artform.

I don't know about you but I'm not stupidly throwing game discs in the ocean.

If for some reason I can't sell a physical game for 5$ or give it to somebody who would appreciate it for free I'll just put it in the recycling bin like the shitload of plastic that comes from food containers. This is the worst excuse against physical ownership of games I've read.
Putting stuff in your recycling bin doesn't mean it doesn't end up in the ocean or landfill.

Physical media is a complete waste of material and should be banned completely. We have too much plastic so if we can reduce usage then we should. The less trees we need to cut down the better. There is no point in physical games anymore so that's one thing we should get rid of ASAP.

Nydius

Physical copies are pointless.. to me.

Fixed that for you.

If you want to bend over and spread your cheeks wide for companies to take advantage of, you’ve already got the choice to do so.

As for the environmental moralizing, I’ve already discussed that several posts back. Take that up with manufacturers. There’s no reason games couldn’t ship in cardstock Digipaks like CDs do. But that’s not a valid reason to demand the rest of us give up what few consumer protections we have.

Edit
Physical media is a complete waste of material and should be banned completely. We have too much plastic so if we can reduce usage then we should. The less trees we need to cut down the better. There is no point in physical games anymore so that's one thing we should get rid of ASAP.

This is the most naively idiotic thing I’ve read today and the day is only half over. Of all the issues with plastic recycling, physical games and video aren’t even in the top 10. Probably not even the top 25.

Last edited:
Top Bottom