• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield data mined shows that it does not have DLSS or XeSS

Why do you need DLSS if you have a high end PC?.
I think people forget that the whole point of these upscalers is to help people with mid and low end systems.

I suppose some like to use it as AA which it can do a great job of, I usually use it in conjunction with DLDSR to get a cleaner image over running native. Funnily enough, people forget DLSS was first showcased as new AA technique tho & not an upscaler (it's even in the name :messenger_grinning_sweat: )

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Why do you need DLSS if you have a high end PC?.
I think people forget that the whole point of these upscalers is to help people with mid and low end systems.
I have a 4k144 and 4k120 2 display setup, I need all the frames. You're talking to a high end enthusiast.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
When I said "It's important to see hands on gameplay and impressions on Series X." certain shills laughed. I'm still hoping for the best for Starfield...

5JIODkq.gif

What does this have to do with Series X?
The Series X doesnt support DLSS either way.....so even if this was an Nvidia sponsored title the Series X still wouldnt have DLSS.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Do you want to compare FSR1 with temporal upscalers?
Do you really think that a spatial upscaler like FSR1 can be a substitute?
You said the game doesn't have FSR. It does. So, NVIDIA is blocking FSR2 but not FSR1?

winjer

Gold Member
The difference is that there is zero evidence that Nvidia blocked anything. There is evidence that AMD is blocking DLSS.

It's that simple.

Really, so games are being released right now that only have DLSS2, without FSr2 or XeSS, for no reason?
And what evidence is there for AMD blocking DLSS2? It's the same evidence in both cases.

Gaiff

Really, so games are being released right now that only have DLSS2, without FSr2 or XeSS, for no reason?
And what evidence is there for AMD blocking DLSS2? It's the same evidence in both cases.
You're incredibly disingenuous. Baldur's Gate not only has FSR1 but FSR2 is being worked on. You have no leg to stand on for your claims.

NVIDIA was already asked about them blocking FSR and they said no, full-stop. Starfield has no sign of DLSS/XeSS. AMD was asked multiple times about it and refused to comment.

Same situation, my ass.

Zathalus

In Nvidias case some sponsored games do not have other upscalers, but these games are in the minority. The direct statement from Nvidia is that they don't block anything.

For AMD the vast majority of sponsored games don't have other upscalers and the direct statement from AMD is drivel about open standards. When pressed for clarification AMD has refused to respond.

It's quite clearly different.

winjer

Gold Member
In Nvidias case some sponsored games do not have other upscalers, but these games are in the minority. The direct statement from Nvidia is that they don't block anything.

For AMD the vast majority of sponsored games don't have other upscalers and the direct statement from AMD is drivel about open standards. When pressed for clarification AMD has refused to respond.

It's quite clearly different.

Your evidence that NVidia is not blocking tech from other companies is that "they said so".
Seriously, you really think nvidia would never lie?
And AMD did respond, with one of those corporate talks that mean nothing.
It's obvious that all companies are doing it, even Intel, to a lesser degree.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Plot twist: it was not AMD fault but Bethesda just suck at engine tech

You are assuming they managed to implement FSR2 but failed to implement DLSS when both techs use the same inputs?

The chances of this being a technical limitation are next to zero.

Interfectum

Your evidence that NVidia is not blocking tech from other companies is that "they said so".
No Way Reaction GIF

winjer

Gold Member
You're incredibly disingenuous. Baldur's Gate not only has FSR1 but FSR2 is being worked on. You have no leg to stand on for your claims.

NVIDIA was already asked about them blocking FSR and they said no, full-stop. Starfield has no sign of DLSS/XeSS. AMD was asked multiple times about it and refused to comment.

Same situation, my ass.

How convenient that one of the biggest games of the year, just so happens not to have neither XeSS nor FSR2 at launch.
Something that should take a couple of hours to implement, suddenly takes a whole month. I wonder why? What great mystery.
But you know what, DLSS2 is coming to Starfield with a mod. Because AMD never blocked the DLSS mods.
On the other hand nvidia has blocked the FSR2 and XeSS mods in most recent games. And even some older games got patched to block it.
But of course, it's only bad when AMD does it.

Zathalus

You quite clearly ignored the other evidence. That being that the scale of the problem is vastly different. Most AMD sponsored games do not have other upscalers, most Nvidia sponsored games do.

Combine that with the respective company statements and there is clearly a fucking problem.

Buggy Loop

Wasn't this already known? It's an AMD partnered title.

Known? No. Speculated, yes. AMD’s “no comments” is not confirmation that they wouldn’t support it, although it was not reassuring.

Some devs have deals with AMD and still offer DLSS. I guess Microsoft doesn’t have Sony’s balls

Interfectum

How convenient that one of the biggest games of the year, just so happens not to have neither XeSS nor FSR2 at launch.
Something that should take a couple of hours to implement, suddenly takes a whole month. I wonder why? What great mystery.
But you know what, DLSS2 is coming to Starfield with a mod. Because AMD never blocked the DLSS mods.
On the other hand nvidia has blocked the FSR2 and XeSS mods in most recent games. And even some older games got patched to block it.
No Way Reaction GIF

Gaiff

Baldur's Gate III also launched a month early. FSR1 is in it. FSR2 is coming soon as said by Larian. Stop with this weak shit. Your points are contradicted and completely nullified by actual evidence.

What most recent games are you referring to?

Zathalus

Baldur's Gate III also launched a month early. FSR1 is in it. FSR2 is coming soon as said by Larian. Stop with this weak shit. Your points are contradicted and completely nullified by actual evidence.

What most recent games are you referring to?
Speaking about BG3, it has a really put of date version of DLSS and no frame generation either. Seems they never really updated the upscalers since early access builds.

winjer

Gold Member
You quite clearly ignored the other evidence. That being that the scale of the problem is vastly different. Most AMD sponsored games do not have other upscalers, most Nvidia sponsored games do.

Combine that with the respective company statements and there is clearly a fucking problem.

Here is a list of games with the tech they have:
As you can see, more games without FSR2, than without DLSS2.

tjlWlFb.png

Most recent games? Which ones?

Pretty much every game released in the past half year.
For a couple of months, we had several games being added with FSR2 mod. Suddenly it all stopped, almost no one works any more.
You probably didn't notice that, because you only use DLSS2. But everyone else, no longer can use that. Not just AMD users, but also GTX and Arch users.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Nvidia even built a tool to make it easy for devs to support XeSS and FSR in addition to DLSS.

What would they even have to gain by blocking it? Every time a game supports both, all the reviews compare them side by side and show that DLSS is better.

Sleepwalker

Speaking about BG3, it has a really put of date version of DLSS and no frame generation either. Seems they never really updated the upscalers since early access builds.
Yes this. If it was Nvidia sponsored they wouldve made sure it had DLSS 3 but it only has 2.0

Buggy Loop

Again, surely a journalist or AMD cultist would have gotten the juicy bits from a dev by now

And we’re talking also about Nvidia who made the wrapper for all plugins, open source, and AMD didn’t sign on it

but sure, let’s drag Nvidia into the mud

Also, what do you think the market share for DLSS vs FSR looks like?

Pascal gen is getting old for Starfield like games, so are old RDNA1 and under gen cards.

So we have AMD 6000 and 7000 series, which is what, a whopping ~4% on steam hardware survey?

Intel Arc? Maybe maybe a generous ~0.5% considering that Xe graphics include mobile chips.

Does anyone expect FSR coming from the sky as a savior to make a 1060 run Starfield and even remotely have a good experience? Might save a few 1080 Ti.

While RTX cards are >40%, all of them I would say Starfield ready.

So again, are we really comparing both tech as if they have the same demand on PC? On the same pedestal?

I support that all upscalers should be present, but are you really shocked when peoples don’t ask questions why FSR is not present in a game? No pitchforks from Pc gaming community?

That’s because the peoples WANTING FSR are the equivalent of this

Arrested Development Tobias GIF

AMD has to pay cash to be the only upscaler. Devs making this decision are a tad dumb.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Here is a list of games with the tech they have:
As you can see, more games without FSR2, than without DLSS2.

tjlWlFb.png

Pretty much every game released in the past half year.
For a couple of months, we had several games being added with FSR2 mod. Suddenly it all stopped, almost no one works any more.
You probably didn't notice that, because you only use DLSS2. But everyone else, no longer can use that. Not just AMD users, but also GTX and Arch users.
Not all of those games are sponsored. I'm referring to those that have signed a deal with either Nvidia or AMD.

As for the list of games that the FSR2 mod has stopped working for I am only aware of one.

Buggy Loop

Honestly, it's one of the most outrageous things a developer has done all year. An exclusive for the UPSCALER?! Really? That's where we are? Was Bethesda that hard for cash?

They must be poor as fuck after all this development

No wonder Microsoft bought this for a ridiculous sum of $7B

Pelta88

What does this have to do with Series X?
The Series X doesnt support DLSS either way.....so even if this was an Nvidia sponsored title the Series X still wouldnt have DLSS.

Series X is a platform where we have yet to see indipenden...

Actually, if you don't get the correlation between seeing gameplay on your preferred platform of choice and this surprising info dropping today, then I don't know what to tell you.

Top Bottom