• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD claims there’s nothing stopping Starfield from adding Nvidia DLSS

Topher

Gold Member
AMD gaming chief Frank Azor is trying to thread a needle. He seemingly wants to say that AMD did not actually make Starfield, quite possibly the year’s biggest PC game, exclusively support AMD’s FSR upscaling technology at the expense of competitors like Nvidia DLSS.

But he clearly can’t. Azor says he can’t say what the contract includes. Instead, he repeatedly lands on this: “If they want to do DLSS, they have AMD’s full support.” He says there’s nothing blocking Bethesda from adding it to the game.

Azor, a co-founder of Alienware, has had many open conversations with me over the years, and this is the only thing he’s been cagey about all afternoon. AMD specifically prepped for this exact question, he says, because the situation’s a little delicate. “We want to be very careful not to put this answer onto our partners,” says Azor.

He admits that — in general — when AMD pays publishers to bundle their games with a new graphics card, AMD does expect them to prioritize AMD features in return. “Money absolutely exchanges hands,” he says. “When we do bundles, we ask them: ‘Are you willing to prioritize FSR?’”

But Azor says that — in general — it’s a request rather than a demand. “If they ask us for DLSS support, we always tell them yes.”

Starfield will be bundled with AMD’s just-announced 7800 XT and 7700 XT graphics cards.

Azor says there’s another reason why Bethesda might have wanted to prioritize FSR, too. “Bethesda’s decision to use FSR is console leverage,” he explains. Starfield is also likely this year’s biggest Xbox game, and FSR runs on the AMD chips inside the Xbox Series X and S as well as competing graphics. Meanwhile, each version of Nvidia DLSS is exclusive to specific recent generations of Nvidia GPU.

But is Starfield contractually AMD-exclusive? Perhaps just temporarily exclusive? Azor isn’t going to say.

“If and when Bethesda wants to put DLSS into the game, they have our full support,” he reiterates.

Bethesda didn’t reply to repeated questions about whether it’ll add DLSS to the game.

Today, AMD is revealing FSR 3, which can dramatically increase the perceived frame rate of a game by adding frame generation — which uses machine learning to imagine a new frame between existing ones, like a more sophisticated version of motion smoothing on TVs. It also includes “Native Anti-Aliasing,” an optional new mode that uses FSR techniques to anti-alias and sharpen game graphics instead of upscaling them from a lower resolution.

Starfield will have FSR 2, however AMD confirms. Nvidia announced DLSS 3.5 earlier this week.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Why now say this?

It was the end of June when they were asked about DLSS and they replied they had no comment

Why are they answering questions now then?

But yes, Bethesda should be the one speaking up. It is their game.

Probably because they felt forced to due to all the noise around it. But it certainly isn't their obligation.

It's more on nVidia and/or Bethesda to speak out on it than AMD, if anything.

Topher

Gold Member
Probably because they felt forced to due to all the noise around it. But it certainly isn't their obligation.

How is this more on Nvidia than AMD? MS and AMD are the ones in the partnership.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Just odd how this was not addressed until now especially in June when the AMD/Starfield partnership was announced and everyone was asking then about DLSS and no one would say anything

Topher

Gold Member
Should be Bethesda answering the question.

Yeah, I'm not trying to single out AMD. Bethesda is the one that should be telling us what features are going to be in Starfield. But I also think AMD could have said a month ago that they do not prevent developers from implementing competitor's technology, just as Nvidia did.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Why would it fall on AMDs shoulders to explain why their competitor hasn't integrated their technologies into a third party developers game?

The developers are the ones putting the tech in the games, not Nvidia and not AMD. And that isn't the question that was asked. The question was whether or not AMD's partnership prevented Bethesda from adding competing tech. That's the question that was answered today. That isn't for Nvidia to answer.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
LOL okay so they still won’t say whether their contract included exclusivity or timed exclusivity.

Probably it’s timed exclusive and what he really means is “if and when Bethesda wants to put DLSS into their game [which won’t be until after our agreed exclusivity period is up] they have our full support”

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Why would it fall on AMDs shoulders to explain why their competitor hasn't integrated their technologies into a third party developers game?
True but I also remember AMD getting destroyed for what people perceived was blocking DLSS with the no comment

Seems they could have gotten a lot of love by saying something like we aren't blocking them, ask Bethesda

I dunno maybe I am nitpicking here

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It’s cool guys, they gave that DLSS modder a free Steam key. See, they’re working on it.

winjer

Gold Member
That is a terrible written article. Then I noticed it's The Verge.

No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Topher

Gold Member
Because "concerned" PC players/blogs brung up whether Starfield will have other upscaling options.

Yeah....that was brought up last month. Just saying it took a long time to get an answer. And I'm still "concerned" since Bethesda has said jack about it.

In fact, has Bethesda said anything at all about the PC version? Ubisoft just released a "PC features" trailer for Avatar and that game is months away.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
But is Starfield contractually AMD-exclusive? Perhaps just temporarily exclusive? Azor isn’t going to say.

“If and when Bethesda wants to put DLSS into the game, they have our full support,” he reiterates.

That's great that AMD would support them fully to add DLSS into Starfield. However, does Bethesda have AMD's full money? There's got to be something of value that Bethesda gains if the "no features from competitors" box is checked.

Topher

Gold Member
That's great that AMD would support them fully to add DLSS into Starfield. However, does Bethesda have AMD's full money? There's got to be something of value that Bethesda gains if the "no features from competitors" box is checked.

Azor said AMD asks if the dev is willing to "prioritize" FSR, but if the dev asks for DLSS support, AMD always says yes. I don't know what it means to "prioritize FSR". I'm guessing making sure FSR is implemented regardless whether DLSS is or not.

Bottom line to me is that if there is no deal preventing Bethesda from implementing DLSS then there is no reason one of the biggest games of the year shouldn't have DLSS support. Now it is Bethesda's turn to talk about it.

kiphalfton

It’s cool guys, they gave that DLSS modder a free Steam key. See, they’re working on it.

I'm guessing they aren't paying the modder either (i.e. as a comtractor). And that by simply giving him a copy of the game, they are probably skirting around some legal mumbo jumbo.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

They didn’t give the modder a free key

Azor said AMD asks if the dev is willing to "prioritize" FSR, but if the dev asks for DLSS support, AMD always says yes. I don't know what it means to "prioritize FSR". I'm guessing making sure FSR is implemented regardless whether DLSS is or not.

Bottom line to me is that if there is no deal preventing Bethesda from implementing DLSS then there is no reason one of the biggest games of the year shouldn't have DLSS support. Now it is Bethesda's turn to talk about it.

Precisely. The ball is in Bethesda’s court. They shouldn’t be letting them skate away with ‘no comment’. Grab Pete or Todd on the Gamescom floor and ask them.

FireFly

Maybe…

But I just want to point out what kind of guy Frank Azor is

He defended himself by saying that he was able to buy a card through the AMD website at launch. I think there was a tiny window when you could pick up a card. Obviously their supply was even worse than Nvidia's though.

Buggy Loop

True , everyone attacking AMD when they are the only ones providing something that works on all GPUs
While DLSS 3 works only on last gen of RTX

Are you in the right thread? I guess you refer to FSR 3?

Because otherwise you know.. they could always support the upscaler of DLSS 3 (same as 2) and support >40% of RTX family present on steam hardware survey. Drop the mobile chipsets and potato computers that run counter strike for a minute, RTX dominates the landscape on PC. To ignore it for ~3-4% of AMD owners or low tier GPU pascal owners who are way outdated to play the likes of Starfield, the decision to ignore DLSS doesn’t make an ounce of sense.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Are you in the right thread? I guess you refer to FSR 3?

Because otherwise you know.. they could always support the upscaler of DLSS 3 (same as 2) and support >40% of RTX family present on steam hardware survey. Drop the mobile chipsets and potato computers that run counter strike for a minute, RTX dominates the landscape on PC. To ignore it for ~3-4% of AMD owners or low tier GPU pascal owners who are way outdated to play the likes of Starfield, the decision to ignore DLSS doesn’t make an ounce of sense.
There is no 40% of RTX gpu

Majority of steam users are on very old GTX harware and intel or amd chipsets from laptops

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It has to be something like this. Like “you’re free to stop working for me whenever you want, I totally support you if and when you want to leave”

Topher

Gold Member

Majority of steam users are on very old GTX harware and intel or amd chipsets from laptops

40% isn't a majority. Quick glance at the hardware survey and I am seeing close to 40% of it being RTX though. More like 38%.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

You can't count then

As of July survey,

RTX 2000, 3000, 4000 series is 38.65%. Is oscillates survey to survey, with it surpassing 40% not long ago.
GTX 1600 series is 12.30% (Turing without RTX)
GTX 1000 series is 13.16% (GTX "family" 25.46%)
RX 6000 series is 2.70%
RX 7000 series is 0.17%

Listed vendors outside of the "other" category
Nvidia, ALL mentions of name, 68.82%
Intel, ALL mentions of name, 7.49%
AMD, ALL mentions of name, 11.86%

It's basically this :

1ru4foykc6s91.png

From September 2022, before Ada it was already 31.44%.
Turing has lowered to 9.28%
Ampere has climbed to 25.55%
and Ada entered with 3.60%

Do tell how RTX is not the majority of modern GPUs, do tell. RTX has more users than the GTX + RDNA 2 + RDNA 3 + Intel Arc combined. For GPUs that CAN run modern games, not a fucking ATI mach series.

Last edited:

ckaneo

It sounds like he's playing loose with the definition of free here. I suspect it's more like they are allowed to but the amount of payment they receive lessens or they have to return some of the money they got.

So there are tiers of exclusivity. Will await updates

Last edited:

damidu

right and i bet people with laptop integrated gpus make up huge portion of user base getting the latest aaa game.

rtx enabled userbase for this game is probably around %80 let alone %40

Top Bottom