• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is getting DLSS support

Wingnut

Before I block you, I'll bite. Explain in stupid terms, what he said and what I said.
It’s clear that a big chunk of players are using gamepass on pc and Xbox. While BG3 was only available on pc at this time. Which means:

The Steam numbers for starfield are not comparable to the bg3 numbers due to a big chunk of players which are not counted there. It is mostly a indication and for that it’s a good and big number still.

I don’t think this hard to understand and that’s why your comment „bg3 was also only Steam“ doesn’t make any sense

bbeach123

FSR suprisingly good in this game thou , they dont have that shitty ghosting and grainy shit in others game .

Although DLSS still mile away in stabilizing shimmering , even better than native .

Kenpachii

Ran it native with fsr on my 4060 laptop, got 22 fps in atlantis. holy shit this game needs optimisation at 1080p.

This game needs DLSS 3

FSR suprisingly good in this game thou , they dont have that shitty ghosting and grainy shit in others game .

Although DLSS still mile away in stabilizing shimmering , even better than native .

Jup main reason why dlss is so good, kills all shimmering

Last edited:

GymWolf

Nice, im loving the game (even more after installing some mods), some people dont know how to be happy or enjoy anything, if you dont like the game is fine (i have 2 friends that regreted buying the game), but know that a lot of us are enjoyng it.

Sorry about my english!
Don't worry, it's already better than mine.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It’s clear that a big chunk of players are using gamepass on pc and Xbox. While BG3 was only available on pc at this time. Which means:

The Steam numbers for starfield are not comparable to the bg3 numbers due to a big chunk of players which are not counted there. It is mostly a indication and for that it’s a good and big number still.

I don’t think this hard to understand and that’s why your comment „bg3 was also only Steam“ doesn’t make any sense

You clearly didnt understand my post then. Reading comprehension is indeed hard it seems. Alright I'm going to block you, but heres the gist of it:

Guy posts steam numbers for Starfield to brag about numbers, I reply they are weak numbers compared to a smaller game like Baldurs Gate 3. Defense force comes in and says, well those number dont include xbox/gp and its steam only and my reply was well Baldurs Gate 3 numbers were only Steam as well and does not include PS5 numbers. K bye.

Stuart360

Imo using CAS, and sharpening set to 100, produces a way cleaner image than FSR.

Lets Go Celebration GIF by South Park

ClosBSAS

Kinda pathetic considering an indie like Baldurs Gate 3 reached 3 times its players vs a multi-million project hyped over many years.
lmao, who hyped it up? its a new fucking IP....nothing to be hyped about. just cause its a bethesda game, you ppl take this shit way too seriously. no new ip gets super hyped and no new ip caomes out without its issues. for a new IP, the game is doing amazing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A LOT of those and I do mean A LOT were Game Pass customers. If I were a betting man, I'd say BG3 made a lot more money than Starfield which really shouldn't happen.
BG3 probably made a LOT more money than Starfield.

I am curious to see what effect it had on GP subscriptions and/or console sales.

Crayon

So I guess it was AMD's evil plan to delay DLSS for a whole week. I started off a little skeptical and you guys still got me believing it lol.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
lmao, who hyped it up? its a new fucking IP....nothing to be hyped about. just cause its a bethesda game, you ppl take this shit way too seriously. no new ip gets super hyped and no new ip caomes out without its issues. for a new IP, the game is doing amazing.
Brother there were a million threads on Starfield on gaf alone, and gaf is a huge minority. Denying there was no hype in regards to Todds most hyped up passion project for 10+ years is just being ignorant. Christ, I'm gonna block the thread before I call out people and get banned. Reality seems to go over most peoples head and the fanboyism is out of control.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

XUVckwQ.png

Well I just updated and it is not there.

This first update is a small hotfix targeted at the few top issues were are seeing. After that, expect a regular interval of updates that have top community requested features including:
  • Brightness and Contrast controls
  • HDR Calibration Menu
  • FOV Slider
  • Nvidia DLSS Support (PC)
  • 32:9 Ultrawide Monitor Support (PC)
  • Eat button for food!
They basically state its multiple updates that they will release after eachother so DLSS is probably later on the menu.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yes, and it literally takes about 20 secs, for me anyway.

If you have updated your gpu drivers recnetly, you will have to compile the shaders again, but only once until you update drivers again.
I was just a question, if they didn't improve it somehow, building shaders prior to you playing is good.
This first update is a small hotfix targeted at the few top issues were are seeing. After that, expect a regular interval of updates that have top community requested features including:
  • Brightness and Contrast controls
  • HDR Calibration Menu
  • FOV Slider
  • Nvidia DLSS Support (PC)
  • 32:9 Ultrawide Monitor Support (PC)
  • Eat button for food!
They basically state its multiple updates that they will release after eachother so DLSS is probably later on the menu.
Or maybe it is just Steam version, which is something I don't have.

Kenpachii

I was just a question, if they didn't improve it somehow, building shaders prior to you playing is good.

Or maybe it is just Steam version, which is something I don't have.

I got it from there website so i guess its global.

Stuart360

Guys restart Steam if you haven had any updates, i just did and now its downloading. Also check in your 'downloads' that Steam didnt set it to download at a later time.

bbeach123

Ran it native with fsr on my 4060 laptop, got 22 fps in atlantis. holy shit this game needs optimisation at 1080p.

This game needs DLSS 3

Jup main reason why dlss is so good, kills all shimmering
Noway its that bad , maybe you forget to pull the resolution scale down maybe lol .

Last edited:

Stuart360

Guys honestly anyone using FSR to play the game, change FSR to CAS, and put the sharpening to 100. On my game CAS actually runs 1-2 frames better than FSR, and the image quality looks waaay cleaner and sharper.

Kenpachii

Noway its that bad , maybe you forget to pull the resolution scale down maybe lol .

Just tested it out at 1080p max settings with fsr 2 and resolution scale on 50%. 36 fps with dips to 32 fps.

It's pretty bad even with FSR.

However going to get a 4080 laptop in a day, with a better cpu so will see how it goes then.

HhKrxzM.jpg

Last edited:

Gambit2483

DLSS wasn't always this good either. When it came out it was very similar to FSR.

Hoping that they build their next RDNA iterations around it in the hardware more to catch up to current DLSS levels. It being open source might help speed up feedback as well.
While that might be true, technology is in a constant state of change and evolution. Sounds like FSR just got left behind and is now showing itself as the inferior upscaling method (currently).

Who know, but something tells me more and more devs are going to flock towards DLSS now. Especially with it being a major feature of Switch 2 game development.

bbeach123

Guys honestly anyone using FSR to play the game, change FSR to CAS, and put the sharpening to 100. On my game CAS actually runs 1-2 frames better than FSR, and the image quality looks waaay cleaner and sharper.
The way fsr implemented in this game kinda sus , DLSS quality , FSR quality mean its 66% resolution scale .
So to get that performance you need to turn fsr on , scale the render resolution to 66% , that way fsr will give better performance for a little bit worst image quality than native .

At 100% resolution scale though Native taa and CAS would look better , but at 66% resolution scale CAS would give you worse image quality .

Just tested it out at 1080p max settings with fsr 2 and resolution scale on 50%. 36 fps with dips to 32 fps.

It's pretty bad even with FSR.

However going to get a 4080 laptop in a day, with a better cpu so will see how it goes then.

HhKrxzM.jpg

You can turn settings to low medium ? Because its look the freaking same .

Last edited:

Kenpachii

The way fsr implemented in this game kinda sus , DLSS quality , FSR quality mean its 66% resolution scale .
So to get that performance you need to turn fsr on , scale the render resolution to 66% , that way fsr will give better performance for a little bit worst image quality than native .

At 100% resolution scale though Native taa and CAS would look better , but at 66% resolution scale CAS would give you worse image quality .

Yea for sure need to optimize it, its kinda weird that starfield runs so bad tho, visuals aren't even that great in the city. While cyberpunk has no problems getting the same framerate with pathtracing on. Makes you just wonder how shit optimized there code really is.

Sybrix

Coming in a future patch. Today's hotfix is very limited in scope. Just a couple of quest bug fixes and "stability improvements" for the consoles.

Ah, i read the patch notes list as release today.

Oh well, hope we get it soon.

Reactions: GHG

Stuart360

Good info. I'm using 100% render scale. Still anyone using 100% render scale and FSR, CAS looks way better.:messenger_sunglasses:

MarkMe2525

It would be great to have the ability to see how many I have of any particular item in inventory when I am scavenging or buying from a trader.

bbeach123

I know, it's cumbersome to jump back and forth. A little indicator would be helpful.
And its really freaking hard too see if this is your tab to sell or the tab to buy or the tab from the ship . A small freaking text at the edge of the screen was not a good indicator man . I had to double check everytime I wanted to sell anything , its annoying .

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
It would be great to have the ability to see how many I have of any particular item in inventory when I am scavenging or buying from a trader.
If you are on PC you can use StarUI, it does that and much more :

Reallink

I'm blown away too. Never seen a game go from 90 to 72 on SteamDB in like a week.

DLSS support should have been there from the start. Why are AAA games still shipping without supporting all three upscaling solutions?

John Linnemon of DF already confirmed with multiple studios on multiple projects that AMDs partner contracts explicitly barred DLSS support. The negative PR shitstorm surrounding it however has clearly made AMD soften and reevaluate that requirement. This is painfully obvious as studios themselves are losing sales and eating mountains of hate mail over it, and literally 90% of the PC market (AMDs potential customer base) considers them public enemy #1. Absolutely not worth it to continue, its anti-marketing that's actively making people avoid these games and AMD hardware, the exact opposite of its intent.

Last edited:
And its really freaking hard too see if this is your tab to sell or the tab to buy or the tab from the ship . A small freaking text at the edge of the screen was not a good indicator man . I had to double check everytime I wanted to sell anything , its annoying .
This, I've had to rebuy stuff that I accidentally sold, many many I'm an idiot number of times.

Top Bottom