• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield - Official Gameplay Trailer Reveal (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A No Man’s Sky twin isn’t the worst thing in the world, either. Seeing that mining laser in the trailer was rough, but Bethesda probably pulls off better basebuilding, shipbuilding should be good, plot and quests will be 10x more fleshed out, combat will be better, space combat, maybe.

It’s just tough when they’ve chosen such a spare aesthetic. Empty worlds, no aliens, there are fewer tropes you can draw on. Are there going to be 100 planets where an explorer crashed and sent out a distress signal, a handful of “outposts” per planet? Skyrim content spread across 1,000 locations is dicey.. hope they’ve got creative ideas they didn’t show..

I agree, I'm more interested in curated content that plays well than a repetitive or barren massively open world. 10-25 planets well built and still with varying degrees of complexity etc would likely have been ideal. Todd was in other interviews saying there are some that are just resources vs handcrafted planets and you can just focus on the "story playthrough" if you choose to do so. Overall it sound like that core experience is in and bigger/better than before while the procedural elements are a bonus to really flesh things out further.

It would be an interesting ViDoc series to see how the Starfield sausage is made. I'm curious about what is procedural vs what is handcrafted and how that interplays. Do they generate the whole universe procedurally and then go an overlay the handcrafted stuff after seeding things e.g. minecraft worlds. Alternatively do they sort of decide up front, this planet is procedural and no handcrafted stuff vs a planet purely handcrafted and no procedurals applied. I'd find that dev diary an interesting one for sure.

I'd be lying if I didn't say No Mans Sky was really boring for me, I stopped playing it pretty quick. I'm expecting far more "story" and curated experiences from Starfield than the procedural "random" content.

Edder1

The bad:
• Character rendering (main point of criticism being the facial animations and skin texture and detail)
• Lighting (it's one aspect of the game that really holds back the graphics that generally look fine)
• "Sci-fi" Instagram filter (Absolutely hate it and it makes the game look dull, hope mods fix this)
• Shooting (Bethesda could just ask Arkane for help, but they keep persisting with terrible shooting mechanics)
• AI (It's 2022 and Bethesda still can't do half decent AI)

The good:
• Textures (they look really sharp)
• Draw distance (this is the draw distance I expect in next gen games)
• Diversity in locals
• Customisation (outpost + ship)
• Option to be a space pirate

Last edited:

reksveks

Pr40gCF.png

Ship stats
- Hull
- Shield
- Cargo
- Crew
- Jump Range
- Mobility
- Top Speed
- Mass

+ 3 stats/things that change

Also some ships/mods require certain skills

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Here's how the most simplistic run of the mill single player game looks like in a finished state:

... and you're surprised that there are bugs in an MMO that's still in an alpha state?

Those are hilarious. It looks like both games are challenging Bethesda for the worst and funniest graphic bugs and ending up being much worse bug-fests than Bethesda could even dream of.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
300+ years from now you have to hold your Bethesda Watch up to the door and wait several seconds for Bluetooth verification before it opens. Smart doors are way better than that today and can detect when you're about to reach them and, if an authorized visitor, be unlocked by the time you get to the handle. That tech has been readily available for over five years.

Sleep-inducing weapons and combat engagements. Enemies stand in front of you and sponge up bullets from your pew pew "scifi" assault rifle until lazily falling over with no real feedback or reactivity. This was dull in the 2010s.

Technological progress has accelerated since the industrial revolution. The first powered flight of an airplane was only 118 years ago. We landed on the Moon 52 years ago. The World Wide Web was created 29 years ago. The iPhone released 15 years ago.

These Falcon Heavy boosters landed themselves three years ago:

Pf8H8kF.gif

Today, AI can do this:

JHqw2VR.gif

A neural implant enables monkeys to play Pong telepathically:

EDXyO58.gif

Christ, guys, create a real vision of the far future. Put some thought and creativity into it. Make something cool. Otherwise you're reskinning Fallout 4 but bleaching out its thematic charm in favor of a crushingly generic and increasingly anachronistic sci-fi setting.

300+ years from now you have to hold your Bethesda Watch up to the door and wait several seconds for Bluetooth verification before it opens. Smart doors are way better than that today and can detect when you're about to reach them and, if an authorized visitor, be unlocked by the time you get to the handle. That tech has been readily available for over five years.

Sleep-inducing weapons and combat engagements. Enemies stand in front of you and sponge up bullets from your pew pew "scifi" assault rifle until lazily falling over with no real feedback or reactivity. This was dull in the 2010s.

Technological progress has accelerated since the industrial revolution. The first powered flight of an airplane was only 118 years ago. We landed on the Moon 52 years ago. The World Wide Web was created 29 years ago. The iPhone released 15 years ago.

Christ, guys, create a real vision of the far future. Put some thought and creativity into it. Make something cool. Otherwise you're reskinning Fallout 4 but bleaching out its thematic charm in favor of a crushingly generic and increasingly anachronistic sci-fi setting.

EviLore EviLore

Futurologist​

Staff Member

Jokes aside it would be nice to see Minority Report style future tech in games or Avatar alien organic tech etc. A little creativity goes a long way. The devs own mantra was Nasa-Punk and your post sums up they sort of forgot to forward think it. Seeing the mysterious tech elements from the trailer, which just look like collectables, makes you wonder how meaningful and useful such tech will be in game. So many devs are guilty of something to look creative or future driven but forget the actual function or story element behind it. *Cough - Halo 5 has some cool alien flora and mysterious looking tech only for it to basically do nothing. Infinite just has some buttons. By contrast as game like Apex Legends has future tech built right into character abilities and ULTs etc. They're meaningful and integrated right into the gameplay. It would be nice if Starfield set out with both the creativity and usefulness in game mechanics from the start of design and dev.

Shubh_C63

After watching the DF vid I think the trailer highlighted the wrong aspects.
There might be 1000 planets, where 990 are just for resource mining, side missions, sight seeing and easters while the 10 entire planets will have huge multiple roaming cities to explore, where Bethesda strength lies. If each of these 10 habitable planets is going to have just small hubs and not quarter of whole Fallout 4 map, I will be a little disappointed.

Also for a game that pushes story, there was none in the trailer.

yamaci17

After watching the DF vid I think the trailer highlighted the wrong aspects.
There might be 1000 planets, where 990 are just for resource mining, side missions, sight seeing and easters while the 10 entire planets will have huge multiple roaming cities to explore, where Bethesda strength lies. If each of these 10 habitable planets is going to have just small hubs and not quarter of whole Fallout 4 map, I will be a little disappointed.

Also for a game that pushes story, there was none in the trailer.
df never cares about video games themselves. they're just there for technical aspects

i dont honestly think any of them actually enjoy any game anymore (aside from the CRT dude). they probably think of ao, shadows, ray tracing and some stuff whenever they launch up a game. it must be hardwired into their brain at this point. (it is their job. i have nothing against that... they make bread. lots of them, of course so it is granted)

they can do 30 hrs content on cyberpunk on total, never ever mentioning anything about the lack of meaningful NPCs and lack of proper AI

they're all about graphics, fps and technical stuff

so they're just doing their jobs tbh

Last edited:
It's not reasonable because of the realities of writing software on a static piece of hardware in an industry where visuals and effects, the 'wow' factor, is a fierce competition. You cannot do increasingly 'more' with 'less' in that kind of cutthroat environment.

The only new variable here are mid-gen refreshes, and the ability to use variable-resolution and advanced upscaling techniques.

It's not because I say so, it's because this is just the way the limitations of the technology placed on the engineers (especially over time) coupled with consumer expectations for 'shiny' work out.

To wit, something has to give. Sub-4k resolutions for example.

I'm making my position as a software engineer of some 10 years now. No, not a game developer but coding is my life. My understanding of the field coupled with all the stuff I've read since I was like 13 on game development (interviews, current and former devs, articles, whatever) is the basis of my opinion here. I'm not just trying to be contrarian.
You're overlooking the fact that Starfield's graphics are not exactly pushing the envelope. That alone is good enough reason why it should never be 4k/30 on the hardware we have. Even Cyberpunk has 1440/60 and that world is much more detailed than Starfield.

I don't think anyone is saying Starfield should be native 4k/60 ...we know that resolution has been the thing that's had to give to attain 60 fps, but 1440p/60 should damn well be possible for the game. This is not Unreal Engine 5 level of graphics. The only caveat is that Bethesda is untrustworthy when it comes to optimization. That's why I'm worried there won't be 1440/60.

For me - the two things the game is missing is some kind of power gimmick and better physics.

- Powers - I haven't seen anything that makes the gunplay look special. It's almost like I just want them to add VATS. Like it seems like the game is grounded in realism, but can it really be carried by JUST Bethesda shooting? I think not. I wish there was at least slow mo or something.
- Physics - everything still seems very stiff. I wish more games would adopt better physics like in rdr2 or max payne 3. Those games felt so much more weighty and reactive. I guess you can expect much since they're using the same engine again

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
You're overlooking the fact that Starfield's graphics are not exactly pushing the envelope. That alone is good enough reason why it should never be 4k/30 on the hardware we have. Even Cyberpunk has 1440/60 and that world is much more detailed than Starfield.

I don't think anyone is saying Starfield should be native 4k/60 ...we know that resolution has been the thing that's had to give to attain 60 fps, but 1440p/60 should damn well be possible for the game. This is not Unreal Engine 5 level of graphics. The only caveat is that Bethesda is untrustworthy when it comes to optimization. That's why I'm worried there won't be 1440/60.
I agree, that from what we've seen the graphics aren't "pushing the envelope". However, this presupposes all game engine and tools are equal. But this is clearly not true.

"Creation Engine 2" is just Gamebryo. It's not actually a peer of something like Unreal Engine 5. We're paying a graphics and performance tax due to their use of this engine, imo.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Here's everything you need to know about Starfield.
Announced back in 2018, Starfield is Bethesda's first new intellectual property in 25 years, and as such, there is a lot of hype surrounding the upcoming project--and perhaps just as many questions. In an attempt to answer at least a few of them and help you keep up to date with what's going on with Starfield, we've compiled everything we know about the game so far.

00:00 - Intro
00:30 - Platforms
01:10 - Release Date
01:25 - Trailers
02:39 - Into the Starfield
04:32 - A "Hardcore" RPG
06:15 - The Story So Far
08:27 - Engine Overhaul
09:23 - Starfield on Game Pass

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Starfield (2023) is Bethesda's next big RPG following Skyrim and Fallout 4. Here's everything we know, as well as some speculation.

0:00 Intro
0:23 HOW BIG?
2:20 BASE BUILDING
3:45 SHIP BUILDING
4:55 MORE SHIP INFO
6:01 FACTIONS
7:41 PERSUATION
8:21 CHARACTER CREATION
9:54 COMBAT
11:38 COMPANIONS
12:46 GAME ENGINE, MOD SUPPORT, DLC

Status