• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield PC Performance Thread

Atlantis is 70FPS for me at 1440P DLSS no fg, on a 4070TI which is ok considering you mostly run around but god damn, wasnt expecting to run around for so many hours, i';ve spent almost 8 hours in the city and Im prolly going to need another 4'ish to finish the side quests that take places there.
This is not ok for a 4070 ti... At all.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I mean its ok considering the shitty engine. :) Obviously, its not ok. Anyway, just tested the FG version of lukes dlss mod and now I'm at 110FPS in Atlantis. A fucking miracle. Will play tomorrow more with it and see how often it crashes. If its once every 2 hours or so I can deal with it. Will report back with the config if it goes well.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
3060 6GB with an i7 11800H:

The game runs “okay”, but it looks awful. The texture quality seems so incredibly low.

I get 60-70fps on medium settings, and 40-50 fps on high. The game looks significantly better on high.
that GPU is worse than the xsx which is capped at 30 fps. In a game that hates Nvidia GPUs. Just be glad you are able to get 60 fps at all thanks to your CPU working over time. Think of it like this, it could be worse. It will be impossible for the series x to run this game at anything but low settings at 720p if they want to run it at 60 fps on that console cpu. and perhaps maybe not even then.

Try the settings I posted above from Mr. Benchmark King. Its a mixture of low, medium and ultra settings with minimal downgrade.

Texture quality, geometry and terrrain level of detail is the same across all platforms. no idea why they felt the need to downgrade every version, but you are basically getting the series s textures here. hence the low vram requirements.

SlimySnake

And no, i'm not gonna study how to fix a game with fucking mods when i payed big money for it, todd need to get his head out of his stupid ass for once.
lol Why are you so stubborn? the DLSS mod is literally 4 files you copy and paste into the main starfield directory. Just do it. I feel bad for Mrs. GymWolf if she has to put up with your stubborness.

seriously though, its two downloads. one from techpowerup, one from nexus mod. take all four files and put them in your steam folder for starfield. you wont even have to mess with the settings because it replaces FSR seamlessly.

im honestly surprised you are seeing hitches on your setup. Especially on a 13600k. no stutters, big FPS drops or bugs for me so far. this is probably the most polished PC game ive played this year on par with FF16 and Zelda on playstation and switch. I should say new release because Division 2 and Watch Dogs Legion were pretty polished and bug free when i played them last month.

Is anyone else a little disappointed by this game?

I don't mean the performance and all the bickering around hardware.

I mean, the actual game itself.

The gameplay mechanics, the world, the story etc...

I don't know if I was expecting too much, like a lot of us, but I'm a little underwhelmed.

I've got this feeling that if this were not a Bethesda game, and had everything that carries with it, players would not be so forgiving and would be claiming this really isn't anything that special.

I don't know, maybe I'm being unfair or not giving it a chance... it's just there, in the back of my mind the whole time, and I'm asking myself "is this actually that good"?

Last edited:

GymWolf

lol Why are you so stubborn? the DLSS mod is literally 4 files you copy and paste into the main starfield directory. Just do it. I feel bad for Mrs. GymWolf if she has to put up with your stubborness.

seriously though, its two downloads. one from techpowerup, one from nexus mod. take all four files and put them in your steam folder for starfield. you wont even have to mess with the settings because it replaces FSR seamlessly.

im honestly surprised you are seeing hitches on your setup. Especially on a 13600k. no stutters, big FPS drops or bugs for me so far. this is probably the most polished PC game ive played this year on par with FF16 and Zelda on playstation and switch. I should say new release because Division 2 and Watch Dogs Legion were pretty polished and bug free when i played them last month.

I don't wanna study how to mod a game, i don't care how simple it is, the mods are not even perfect, some have visual glitches, when the game is gonna have the first official patch you have to reinstall everything, so many annoying little things to take account for, i don't wanna do ANY complicate thing to play a fucking game, i already work 9 hours a day.

I'm not a master race, i don't enjoy copying stuff inside folders or modify ini files or download fucking scripts to even install a mod, this is not what i signed for, i'm a super noob and sure as hell i'm not going to learn for barely a 7\10 game like starfield.

Gaming should be something to free your mind, not a job where you fix a shitty work from shitty devs.

The game with optimized settings run worse than most other "broken" games we had this year, way worse than hogwarts or dead space or whatever, those were fluid 90% of the time, this thing can't go 2 min without some fucking hiccups after using the scanner or killing people or using powers or anything really, i tried the other 4 games i have installed and they all run like dreams, so it is definitely not my pc, it is this stupid game that doesn't even look nowhere near as good to be this heavy, nor does anything nextgen in the slightest, no matter how many havok gif you can post.

If i have a worse experience tham so be it, it's gonna be a lesson when the shithead is gonna release his next game.

Last edited:
Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 1440p ultra wide, game installed on a fast SSD NVME. Everything set to ultra, resolution scale set to 75%. Game had an annoying stutter. I switched to high, with a DLSS mod with frame generation on and now it's buttery smooth.
GPU and CPU usage are around the same.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I don't wanna study how to mod a game, i don't care how simple it is, the mods are not even perfect, some have visual glitches, when the game is gonna have the first official patch you have to reinstall everything, so many annoying little things to take account for, i don't wanna do ANY complicate thing to play a fucking game, i already work 9 hours a day.

I'm not a master race, i don't enjoy copying stuff inside folders or modify ini files or download fucking scripts to even install a mod, this is not what i signed for, i'm a super noob and sure as hell i'm not going to learn for barely a 7\10 game like starfield.

Gaming should be something to free your mind, not a job where you fix a shitty work from shitty devs.

The game with optimized settings run worse than most other "broken" games we had this year, way worse than hogwarts or dead space or whatever, those were fluid 90% of the time, this thing can't go 2 min without some fucking hiccups after using the scanner or killing people or using powers or anything really, i tried the other 4 games i have installed and they all run like dreams, so it is definitely not my pc, it is this stupid game that doesn't even look nowhere near as good to be this heavy, nor does anything nextgen in the slightest, no matter how many havok gif you can post.

It takes longer to write the above than to add 3 files to where Starfield is installed. You always edit and move files on PC all the time, whats the difference?

Seth Meyers Wink GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

If i have a worse experience tham so be it, it's gonna be a lesson when the shithead is gonna release his next game.
I kind of see what you mean, and I also see what the other guy is saying.

I see pc gaming as a better experience than console, and that's my primary reason for being on the platform.

Adding mods and opening this file and what not isn't really what I want to do either.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Ugh, shut the hell up and just mod the damn game. The time you waste posting on Gaf could be used to add DLSS to Starfield.

GymWolf

Ugh, shut the hell up and just mod the damn game. The time you waste posting on Gaf could be used to add DLSS to Starfield.
OR i can speak as much as i fucking want because there is no alternate reality, parallel universe, plane of existence or virtual reality world where the dude who payed full price (and then some) for the game and doesn't want to do the devs job and fix their broken game is in the wrong :lollipop_squinting:

So we can agree to disagree or fight over todd broken game.

Sure as hell i'm not going to "shut up", buddy.

Like dude, are we gonna fight over starfield? cmon:messenger_blowing_kiss:

I'm gonna try to install this damn dlss mod so we can go forward with this stupid discussion, i just need some help.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
OR i can speak as much as i fucking want because there is no alternate reality, parallel universe, plane of existence or virtual reality world where the dude who payed full price (and then some) for the game and doesn't want to do the devs job and fix their broken game is in the wrong :lollipop_squinting:

So we can agree to disagree or fight over todd broken game.

Sure as hell i'm not going to "shut up", buddy.

So weird how millions of people have put in so many hours into a "broken" game. Must be magic!

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Going off the benchmarks in the game,it's making the 5600x I have only just bought look completely shit when I've never had a problem in any other game
You and me both, brother. BG3 and Starfield back-to-back are the first two games where I'd be getting substantially better performance by upgrading my 5600X.

I haven't heard whether it's A) because the games are poorly optimized or B) they are optimized well and actually require that computational power, no way around it.

GymWolf

So weird how millions of people have put in so many hours into a "broken" game. Must be magic!
I played and enjoyed many broken games like many people do, if i had to stop playing every game in a sorry state i would have hang up on gaming years ago, but nice try.

Last edited:

GymWolf

just found the other mod. im an idiot.

and yes, all three. i will try your AA tips after i get it running. im running this on a 4k tv so hoping dlss performnace looks as good as fsr quality.

lf3MQYp.jpg
Is it better do this specifically for starfield or it is better to keep it actived in the global setting for everything?

because i'm pretty sure that i already have rebar enabled in the global settings...

Since i'm here on inspector, anything else to change in global settings or for starfield?

Last edited:

GymWolf

You woke up the dragon so now you need to be helpful because the dragon can't mod for shit :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I need an exact list of what i need to download, the mod (what version, the pure dark one or lukefz?) and the dlss files, what version and from where.

Do this thing work with vortex app from nexus mods? i always used that to add stuff in games (never to fix stuff).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Is it better do this specifically for starfield or it is better to keep it actived in the global setting for everything?

because i'm pretty sure that i already have rebar enabled in the global settings...

Since i'm here on inspector, anything else to change in global settings or for starfield?
Do it on a game by game basis just to be safe.

try changing these two other settings as well.
These may have been shared, but a couple tips for Nvidia users that have helped me big time:
(3080 12gb, 5800x3d)

1. if you're using the dlss mod on quality mode use profile inspector and set antialiasing- transparency supersampling to 0x0....8 (AA_REPLAY, etc) and negative lod bias (DX) to -.5000. Anything lower than that introduces weird shadow artifacts. Cleaned up the image a lot. I think balanced would be good at -1.000, performance mode at -1.500. Just check for flickering on planets in orbit and adjust accordingly.

DLSS 3.5, Luke's mod (latest update) and find having Nvidia scaling completely OFF is much nicer.
did you mean these two settings? LOD Bias is under Texture Filtering.
KiGCJ57.jpg

DLSS mod works fine. im never going back to FSR. Pretty sure im seeing a performance gain too. 2-3 fps but its definitely pushing my CPU harder. saw temps and wattage go up really high in Atlantis.

M1987

You and me both, brother. BG3 and Starfield back-to-back are the first two games where I'd be getting substantially better performance by upgrading my 5600X.

I haven't heard whether it's A) because the games are poorly optimized or B) they are optimized well and actually require that computational power, no way around it.
I hope it's A because I only bought it in May,and it's never had a problem in any other game

I really want to get it but I fear that my 4790k and 16 gigs of ddr3 will not be sufficient, also my gpu is a 2080
Your GPU will certainly be sufficient for a semi playable experience (at least at 1080 and probably 1440 with some settings and/or render resolution dropped a little).

As for your CPU and the RAM, I'm not sure the RAM will be up to the job and that may be your stumbling block.

I don't know that your RAM, specifically, is quick/good enough (but others will confirm that and please don't take my word for it).

The obvious answer is;

A) try on Steam and refund before 2 hours

B) try on Game Pass and renew next month if it runs at an acceptable FPS

One caveat, is it seems to run very nicely during the initial, pre scripted area of the game.

You'll want to get past that and onto your ship, and ideally get to the first planet, to see a more representative level of performance as the frame rate seems to drop noticeably on less powerful systems at that point.

Be prepared to play around in the settings for a while and accept that you may have to tolerate a sub 45fps experience in more demanding areas to attain satisfactory visual quality...or accept a degraded visual quality if the frame rate is more important to you.

I think you should be ok to do that within the 2 hour refund window, but just keep an eye on your time played.

(I'm sure others will be able to give you a more definitive answer regarding the likelihood of your components running the game.)

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

People buy shitty card. expect a 4090ti performance. as if the fucking reviews didn't give enough hints. oh and 12gig of vram which is considered the MINIMUM for a fucking reason.

Edit: Just not to piss off the owners of this amazing card (-_-). its a midrange card by today's prices/standards.

Last edited:

hlm666

you only get 2-3 fps with the dlss mod? that must be a typo right? or that is for the inspector settings?
If your cpu bound lowering the resolution like upscalers do will barely have any effect, and this game is heavily cpu bound in the cities. Go to settings and drag the render size slider down, if your framerate doesn't change your cpu bound and dlss wont do much other than gain a bit of image quality. It's frame gen for the most part that's getting around the cpu limitations.

SlimySnake

People buy shitty card. expect a 4090ti performance. as if the fucking reviews didn't give enough hints. oh and 12gig of vram which is considered the MINIMUM for a fucking reason.

Edit: Just not to piss off the owners of this amazing card (-_-). its a midrange card by today's prices/standards.
a 4070 ti is $800 card that is basically a 3090. if i am able to double a $550 xsx's performance with my 3080 then a card roughly 20% more powerful should have no issues running at a locked 60 fps 4k dlss or fsr quality at way higher settings than the xsx.

so in terms of value proposition, you are paying 45% more for 100% more performance assuming you dont need a CPU upgrade. Assuming you need a $300 CPU upgrade, you are at $1,100 at which point you are getting 100% more performance for 100% more dollars. 1:1 id say. Todd Howard is right, this is a next gen game, you have to upgrade your PC.

good thing with upgrading PCs is that you dont have to start from scratch. if you had a good GPU like the 4070 Ti and a bad CPU then just spend $300 and you will double the xsx performance. if you already have a great CPU like any of the Ryzen 7000 series or anything intel 11th gen onwards then just buy the new $500 7800xt which will give you the same performance as the 4070ti in this game. 2x that of XSX at literally $500.

Avatar is also targeting 1440p internal (fsr 4k quality) on PS5. we are going to see the same thing on PCs. People complaining about their 10 tflops 3060s not being able to double PS5 performance. you just cant do that anymore with next gen games. it was easy when PS5 and XSX games were targeting native 4k 60 fps because they were cross gen games designed around 1.3 tflops x1s.

Last edited:

Are you saying the 4070ti is a "shitty card"?

How, exactly, can it be "amazing" but also be "mid range" and "shitty"?

Last edited:
Your GPU will certainly be sufficient for a semi playable experience (at least at 1080 and probably 1440 with some settings and/or render resolution dropped a little).

As for your CPU and the RAM, I'm not sure the RAM will be up to the job and that may be your stumbling block.

I don't know that your RAM, specifically, is quick/good enough (but others will confirm that and please don't take my word for it).

The obvious answer is;

A) try on Steam and refund before 2 hours

B) try on Game Pass and renew next month if it runs at an acceptable FPS

One caveat, is the game seems to run very nicely during the initial, pre scripted area of the game.

You'll want to get past that and onto your ship, and ideally get to the first planet, to see a more representative level of performance as the frame rate seems to drop noticeably on less powerful systems at that point.

Be prepared to play around in the settings for a while and accept that you may have to tolerate a sub 45fps experience in more demanding areas to attain satisfactory visual quality...or accept a degraded visual quality if the frame rate is more important to you.

I think you should be ok to do that within the 2 hour refund window, but just keep an eye on your time played.

(I'm sure others will be able to give you a more definitive answer regarding the likelihood of your components running the game.)
Thanks for the reply, gonna give it a shot on my next day off. I'm thinking you're right that my ram will be the main issue, I do have a gsync monitor though so 30-45 fps should be bareable, but yeah I'm long overdue for a decent upgrade.

I play everything at 1440 (that's my monitor resolution), I definitely don't want to play it at 1080 though, that's a noticeable difference in image quality to me.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Are you saying the 4070ti is a "shitty card"?

How, exactly, can it be "amazing" but also be "mid range" and "shitty"?
because it is practically a 3080 rehash that is sold at 800 bucks. it is a shitty card.

normall times it went like this

980 beast card = 1060 run off the mill upper midrange card (lowend just 1 years later) that should give you subpar expectations with lower graphical settings and uncertain framerates (playable but not great), S and comes near the "980ti" performance at a 250 bucks price

1080 a legendary beast = 2060 just your average whack mid range gpu. matches or beats the 1080 performance at 320 bucks. a super lowend gpu by the end of 2019

2080 stronk =/= 3060 just your average whack low end gpu. barely matches the 2070 performance at 329 bucks

3080 stronk =/= 4060.. CANNOT even beat the 3060ti reliably. falls below 3060 in vram gimped scenarios.

4070 and 4070ti are TRUE 4060 cards in disguise. which has broken pricing.

1060 and 2060 cards were midrange-ish AND amazing cards. they were not shitty because they were sold at meaningful prices and people flocked to them.

this trend started with 3060 being a lackluster card. and continued on with 4060.

the naming scheme is the problem. people expect too much out of 3080 tier hardware, which WAS... a high end card 3 YEARS ago. it should be midrange now. AS WHAT HAPPENED WITH 980, 1080 and 3080.

PEOPLE... expect huge things out of the 4070 4070ti, purely because of its name and its price. it has wrong price tag and wrong product name.

starfield does not include the gimmicky dlss3 unless you mod it. and without dlss3, the shortcomings of these so called "4000" cards quickly become exposed. people don't understand they practically got no meaningful rasterization improvements from them.

RTX 3080 is at a point where it should run games at 1440p/med-high mixed settings with 40-60 FPS (because it started off as a 4K card).
GTX 1080 started as a 1440p ultra 60 FPS card, and just 2 years later, it was a 1080p med high 60 FPS card (in 2018). NO ONE COMPLAINED, because you could get GTX 1080 performance with a RTX 2060 at super cheap prices. RTX 2060 was touted as a 1080p med high 60 FPS card. and matched the 1080.
GTX 980 started as a 1080p ultra 60 FPS card, and 2 years later, it was a 1080p medium 45-50 FPS card (in 2016). NO ONE COMPLAINED, because you could get GTX 980 performance with a GTX 1060 at super cheap prices. GTX 1060 was touted as 1080p med 45-50 FPS card and matched or beat the 980.

Do you see the trend?

If this trend continued,

RTX 4060 would've rendered 1440p med high 45-60 FPS, and no one would complain. and everyone would've said 3080 aged and even a lowly 4060 matches it.

now, 4070 4070ti matches the 3080. so they go down with the 3080. but this time, there's no 4060 to speak of. 4060 is even more horrible.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Thanks for the reply, gonna give it a shot on my next day off. I'm thinking you're right that my ram will be the main issue, I do have a gsync monitor though so 30-45 fps should be bareable, but yeah I'm long overdue for a decent upgrade.
your cpu will be a huge bottleneck. your GPU should be fine. my friend is playing the game on a 2080 right now but he paired it up with the latest 7800x3d. he gets 30-45 fps at 4k dlss quality medium settings. i told him to go to dlss performance to see if he gets close to 60 fps.

the gpu is roughly an xsx which is running the game at 30 fps at 1440p internal. if you pair it up with a great cpu, you might get 40-60 fps using dlss performance at 4k. if you have a 1440p monitor then use dlss balanced (960p internal) but with that cpu, i would not even bother unless you are ok with 30 fps.

SlimySnake

because it is practically a 3080 rehash that is sold at 800 bucks. it is a shitty card.

normall times it went like this

980 beast card = 1060 run off the mill upper midrange card (lowend just 1 years later) that should give you subpar expectations with lower graphical settings and uncertain framerates (playable but not great), S and comes near the "980ti" performance at a 250 bucks price

1080 a legendary beast = 2060 just your average whack mid range gpu. matches or beats the 1080 performance at 320 bucks. a super lowend gpu by the end of 2019

2080 stronk = 3060 just your average whack low end gpu. barely matches the 2070 performance at 329 bucks

3080 stronk = 4060.. CANNOT even beat the 3060ti reliably. falls below 3060 in vram gimped scenarios.

4070 and 4070ti are TRUE 4060 cards in disguise. which has broken pricing.

1060 and 2060 cards were midrange-ish AND amazing cards. they were not shitty because they were sold at meaningful prices and people flocked to them.

this trend started with 3060 being a lackluster card. and continued on with 4060.

the naming scheme is the problem. people expect too much out of 3080 tier hardware, which WAS... a high end card 3 YEARS ago. it should be midrange now. AS WHAT HAPPENED WITH 980, 1080 and 3080.

PEOPLE... expect huge things out of the 4070 4070ti, purely because of its name and its price. it has wrong price tag and wrong product name.

starfield does not include the gimmicky dlss3 unless you mod it. and without dlss3, the shortcomings of these so called "4000" cards quickly become exposed. people don't understand they practically got no meaningful rasterization improvements from them.

RTX 3080 is at a point where it should run games at 1440p/med-high mixed settings with 40-60 FPS (because it started off as a 4K card).
GTX 1080 started as a 1440p ultra 60 FPS card, and just 2 years later, it was a 1080p med high 60 FPS card (in 2018). NO ONE COMPLAINED, because you could get GTX 1080 performance with a RTX 2060 at super cheap prices. RTX 2060 was touted as a 1080p med high 60 FPS card. and matched the 1080.
GTX 980 started as a 1080p ultra 60 FPS card, and 2 years later, it was a 1080p medium 45-50 FPS card (in 2016). NO ONE COMPLAINED, because you could get GTX 980 performance with a GTX 1060 at super cheap prices. GTX 1060 was touted as 1080p med 45-50 FPS card and matched or beat the 980.

Do you see the trend?

If this trend continued,

RTX 4060 would've rendered 1440p med high 45-60 FPS, and no one would complain. and everyone would've said 3080 aged and even a lowly 4060 matches it.

now, 4070 4070ti matches the 3080. so they go down with the 3080. but this time, there's no 4060 to speak of. 4060 is even more horrible.
techpowerup says 4070 ti is a 3090. not a 3080. so roughly 20% more powerful than a 3080. though at the same $800 pricepoint, i agree its a shit deal.

I think both nvidia and AMD have completely dropped the ball with their 7000 and 4000 series cards. Maybe its moores law finally catching up to them, but man seeing the 7800xt perform the SAME as the 6800xt is shocking. no gen on gen upgrade? after two years? Imagine if you and i did that at work. 2 years to do fucking nothing. we would be fired but i bet lisa su and her cousin over at nvidia both got big bonuses.

i do think the 7800xt running this game like a 4070ti at $300 or less is a huge marketing win for AMD, but they dropped the ball with the DLSS exclusivity creating a controversy. i have a feeling avatar will also run the same way even though they are using RT because the game was designed around ps5 and xsx specs.

i told my friend to not buy a GPU and lent him my old 2080. I think the 4080 and 4090 are the only two decent cards nvidia has to offer and they are both $500 too expensive. 4090 should be $1,200 like the 2080 ti, and the 4080 should be $700 like the 2080. honestly, it might have been bad advice because it doesnt look like we are getting any price drops any time soon and the yearly refreshes are likely just going to be more expensive.

i think the 7900xtx is a great card that again is probably $200-300 too expensive considering its basically what the 7800xt shouldve been. but lisa is happy making profit instead of selling more GPUs so AMD will continue to be irrelevant and completely missing from the steam hardware surveys while their stocks sit at microcenter until they have to clear them at $300-350 discounts after two years like they have been doing with the 6600xt and 6950xt. If they launch at those prices, they would be selling millions of those GPUs, dlss and RT performance be damned.

peish

this video is posted?

QfSq47K.png

you want intel, you want higher cpu speeds, you want higher memory speeds

Last edited:

I play everything at 1440 (that's my monitor resolution), I definitely don't want to play it at 1080 though, that's a noticeable difference in image quality to me.
Yeah, I hear you on 1080p.

I won't play at that resolution anymore, so I completely understand your feelings.

Just go for it, mate, see what happens...but, try to keep your expectations in check as performance really is atrocious.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
4070 Ti should be a solid card for this game. Using optimized settings, ReBar forced in Nvidia Inspector, and DLSS and DLSS 3 FrameGen you should be getting 120fps+ at 1440p/67% scaling. On a Freesync/Gsync monitor it would be a great experience if you can handle a crash every few hours.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Puredarks is but people will shame you for spending money on it cause they have nothing better to do.
I'm not gonna spend money neither, i forgot it was behind a paywall.

In the end i didn't modded shit because the framegen mods are both unstable and that was the only thing worth of being installed.

The game haven't crashed once, i'm not gonna make it worse just for a mod.

Last edited:
Do we think Nvidia will be offering an official DLSS option any time soon, and would it naturally be a better implementation than the mods currently available?

Top Bottom