• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield PC Performance Thread

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Do we think Nvidia will be offering an official DLSS option any time soon, and would it naturally be a better implementation than the mods currently available?

If Jedi Survivor being another shitty AMD game is any indication to go by, I'd say maybe after 4 months so prolly next year. Bethesda also rarely patches their games so cut that chance in half. Use mods.

MikeM

this video is posted?

QfSq47K.png

you want intel, you want higher cpu speeds, you want higher memory speeds

This game loves bandwidth. A 13600 crushes even the 7800x3d.

Okay I have been playing for quite some time now and tinkered with settings done mods and fixes to help. I am on a 3080 10gb with a 5600x and 32gb ram. My conclusion is there is just something fkd up about certain areas especially with lots of foliage. So as we know New Atlantis but also any random outside planets with grass and foliage, but also the entrance Akila. All other places including Neon and the Well that have just as many NPCs and what looks like complex effects going on look great and are solid locked 60fps on pretty much ultra settings. I have turned shadow quality down to medium as that seems to have a huge effect. The difference between the few places with the low framerate and the rest of the game is huge its like 2 different games. No matter what I do I cant get New Atlantis a solid 60 and I have tried the rebar setting DLSS turning everything to low.

Ive now settled on just having everything on ultraish and enjoying 80% of the game looking nice and performing great and just putting up with low frame rate in the 3 or 4 places it is like that rather than turn down settings that will make everything look crap and STILL not hit 60 everywhere.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I'm not gonna spend money neither, i forgot it was behind a paywall.

In the end i didn't modded shit because the framegen mods are both unstable and that was the only thing worth of being installed.

The game haven't crashed once, i'm not gonna make it worse just for a mod.
I understand not wanting to spend the $5. If you do decide to beta 2 hot fix 1 is what I'm using and no crashes yet. But different people have different experiences so ymmv.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
If Jedi Survivor being another shitty AMD game is any indication to go by, I'd say maybe after 4 months so prolly next year. Bethesda also rarely patches their games so cut that chance in half. Use mods.
Bethesda rarely patching their games ? They do it but maybe not as often as other games (CP77 can have weeks or month between patches, even at launch).
They released many patches on their previous games, they even already released one for Starfield just before the early access release.
You can see on SteamDB they released patches quite often :
Fallout 76, Skyrim Special Edition, Fallout 4, Skyrim.

And looking at the "dev_tech" and "qa_staging_main" branches on SteamDB since a few days, there's quite an activity since launch, with sometimes new builds twice a day or so, I guess a new patch is coming soon.

JRW

On a 3060Ti you probably want to install the DLSS mod and use some upscaling.
Started using it yesterday and so far no issues, 55-60fps in New Atlantis instead of 45fps and visually still looks great, smoother AA / less jaggies.

Also apparently the default LOD bias needs adjusting but it's an easy StarfieldCustom.ini edit: Reddit post - you can ignore the Nvidia Inspector part it only needs an .ini edit (look at the Update section towards bottom of post).

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Do we think Nvidia will be offering an official DLSS option any time soon, and would it naturally be a better implementation than the mods currently available?

My translucent crystal ball says:

- If their deal with AMD negatively affects sales.
- Once they don't care about the deal with AMD anymore.
- When the Game of the Year Edition comes out.

Sleepwalker

On second thought I might just pass entirely on this game, the amount of work that you need to put in to tweak the game outweights my mild interest in playing it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PSA to All Nvidia GPU owners.

Turn OFF Ultra Shadows. Go to High Shadows and you will see a massive 25% improvement to framerate. this is clearly a bug. Credit: Alex from digital foundry

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Turn OFF Ultra Shadows. Go to High Shadows and you will see a massive 25% improvement to framerate. this is clearly a bug. Credit: Alex from digital foundry
It may depend on the card and if ReBAR is forced or not, he does not talk about ReBAR so I guess he did not force it in the drivers, it gives quite a boost to Nvidia cards.
But going from Ultra shadows to High only gave me 4 more FPS (70 to 74 in New Atlantis residentials), it's far from 25%, and small change too on planets.

I'm keeping everything in Ultra then.
Playing with a 4090 in 4K (85% resolution with Luke's DLSS2 mod) on a 120 Hz VRR OLED TV, the game is very smooth with VRR and frametimes do not spike like in is video.
CPU is an i7 13700K with 32 GB DDR4 at 3200 MHz.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It may depend on the card and if ReBAR is forced or not, he does not talk about ReBAR so I guess he did not force it in the drivers, it gives quite a boost to Nvidia cards.
But going from Ultra shadows to High only gave me 4 more FPS (70 to 74 in New Atlantis residentials), it's far from 25%, and small change too on planets.

Playing with a 4090 in 4K (85% resolution with Luke's DLSS2 mod) on a 120 Hz VRR OLED TV, the game is very smooth with VRR and frametimes do not spike like in is video.
ResizeableBar is on almost by default on all new bios with supported cards so hopefully most know this and if not, take care of that asap.

I saw the DF and seemingly just that one settings seems to pay off dividends.

4090' and high end CPU's are already hitting the 4k100+fps tier with DLSS3 so this should further maybe lock to to 4k120 or even 4k144 with max settings......maybe.

Azaroth

Can confirm. I have a very similar setup, and had about the same results you mentioned.

I'm realizing that my 2016 gaming PC doesn't meet PC min specs 😵
And yet I play all my games without any struggle. What a technological gap there must be!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think they likely have a timed exclusivity agreement, regardless of whatever AMD denials are out there.

Yes, an official integration is likely to be better than a modded one, because it will be trained on Starfield data. But the mod still works quite well and is a big improvement over FSR, so I'll take it.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
ResizeableBar is on almost by default on all new bios with supported cards so hopefully most know this and if not, take care of that asap.
Nvidia just need to release a new driver with ReBAR enabled on Starfield's profile, it's disabled in the Starfield "Game Ready" driver.
Maybe it would have made the benchmarks less AMD favorable if they did not forget to enable it...

winjer

Gold Member
In case you wanted to know a few reasons on why Starfield is so unoptimized.

Vkd3d (the dx12->vulkan translation layer) developer has put up a change log for a new version that is about to be (released here) and also a pull request with more information about what he discovered about all the awful things that starfield is doing to GPU drivers (here).

Basically:
  1. Starfield allocates its memory incorrectly where it doesn't align to the CPU page size. If your GPU drivers are not robust against this, your game is going to crash at random times.
  2. Starfield abuses a dx12 feature called ExecuteIndirect. One of the things that this wants is some hints from the game so that the graphics driver knows what to expect. Since Starfield sends in bogus hints, the graphics drivers get caught off gaurd trying to process the data and end up making bubbles in the command queue. These bubbles mean the GPU has to stop what it's doing, double check the assumptions it made about the indirect execute and start over again.
  3. Starfield creates multiple `ExecuteIndirect` calls back to back instead of batching them meaning the problem above is compounded multiple times.
What really grinds my gears is the fact that the open source community has figured out and came up with workarounds to try to make this game run better. These workarounds are available to view by the public eye but Bethesda will most likely not care about fixing their broken engine. Instead they double down and claim their game is "optimized" if your hardware is new enough.

yamaci17

Nvidia just need to release a new driver with ReBAR enabled on Starfield's profile, it's disabled in the Starfield "Game Ready" driver.
Maybe it would have made the benchmarks less AMD favorable if they did not forget to enable it...
nvidia doesn't need to release entire driver to update a game's profile

they can and actually do OTA updates. actually, the latest driver that added Starfield profile didn't have proper executable name for game pass version. they added the executable name with a OTA update

SlimySnake

Can someone explain why I am seeing this weird flickering/shimmering on paintings. its not just paintings either. Its on all similar menus in stores and other buildings. very annoying thing thats not there when using FSR. Though FSR has shimmering on pretty much everything else so its not really an alternative.

Using DLSS quality at 4k.

In both first and third person view.

Also, maybe hard to notice but shadows pop-in in some areas as i turn into a corridor. i went back and disabled rebar and dlss and did not notice any pop-in. The negative lod bias and texture super sampling setting doesnt help either.

I have deleted the cache and rebuilt it after restarting but that doesnt seem to help. Am i the only one seeing this?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Can someone explain why I am seeing this weird flickering/shimmering on paintings. its not just paintings either. Its on all similar menus in stores and other buildings. very annoying thing thats not there when using FSR. Though FSR has shimmering on pretty much everything else so its not really an alternative.

Also, maybe hard to notice but shadows pop-in in some areas as i turn into a corridor. i went back and disabled rebar and dlss and did not notice any pop-in. The negative lod bias and texture super sampling setting doesnt help either.

I have deleted the cache and rebuilt it after restarting but that doesnt seem to help. Am i the only one seeing this?

Disable motion blur.

Azaroth

TLDR: Yes, I could see it too, along with frame tearing, once I installed the frame generation mod. Try forcing Vsync on from the Nvidia Control Panel. More below if you're interested.
I was using the FSR2 Bridge mod, and today I replaced it with the updated version of the Frame Generation mod (Replacing FSR2 with DLSS-G). My FPS went up significantly, but now I was getting screen tearing, especially noticeable towards the bottom of the screen. I went to the exact paintings that your video shows, and sure enough, I could reproduce the same issue, maybe not quite as severe, but it was noticeable. I think it's the frame gen that's causing it, because I turned it off in the config.json and then the tearing stopped, but of course my FPS went down. In the Nexus Mods forum thread for the Frame Generation mod, I noticed others pointing out the tearing issue, and someone mentioned turning on VSYNC through the Nvidia control panel. For some reason, it seems that the in-game Vsync doesn't work with Frame Gen enabled. So, I re-enabled frame gen in the config.json, and forced VSYNC using NCP, and it seems to have solved the tearing issue, and the shimmering on the paintings is pretty much gone now too. Maybe just a tiny bit on the edges, but nothing like it was before (like in your video).

I had my fps capped at 117 via RivaTuner. I can see from your video that you have it capped at 60. For some reason, it still seems like the frame gen is causing some issues, even with a frame cap. I'm no expert on any of this stuff, but check in Nvidia Control Panel to see if you have Vsync turned on. If not, try turning it on and see if that makes it better for you.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

What really grinds my gears is the fact that the open source community has figured out and came up with workarounds to try to make this game run better. These workarounds are available to view by the public eye but Bethesda will most likely not care about fixing their broken engine. Instead they double down and claim their game is "optimized" if your hardware is new enough.
Ummm. no they havent. All we have gotten so far are quality of life mods and a dlss mod that barely improves performance.

I know its the reddit post saying this, not you, but this isnt some easy problem the community has resolved. if bethesda engineers are taking some shortcuts programmed into Directx12 APIs than it is what is. Im sure if you look hard enough, you will find that in ANY game software.

What we are not seeing here is poor GPU and CPU utilizations that plagued games like Star Wars and Gotham KNights. The discourse around this game is bizarre. the game is performing like a game designed to run at 1440p 30 fps on consoles. even the nvidia GPU performance disparity has now been isolated to a Shadow setting likely bugged somehow.

M1987

Forcing ReBar on Nvidia Profile Inspector has improved things I think.I'm getting mostly 60fps,dropping to about 55fps sometimes for a split second in New Atlantis.I'm playing at 4k DLSS quality on high,on a 3080Ti and a 5600x

TIGERCOOL

Special K has added some great functionality for this game in their recent updates. You can now control FOV, LOD bias and upgrade 8-bit RTs to 16-rbc for better HDR and almost no banding (you'll need some VRAM overhead for this setting). Especially nice to be able to use the LOD bias slider to see the effects it has on DLSS in real time.

yamaci17

have u tweaked lod bias

winjer

Gold Member
Ummm. no they havent. All we have gotten so far are quality of life mods and a dlss mod that barely improves performance.

I know its the reddit post saying this, not you, but this isnt some easy problem the community has resolved. if bethesda engineers are taking some shortcuts programmed into Directx12 APIs than it is what is. Im sure if you look hard enough, you will find that in ANY game software.

What we are not seeing here is poor GPU and CPU utilizations that plagued games like Star Wars and Gotham KNights. The discourse around this game is bizarre. the game is performing like a game designed to run at 1440p 30 fps on consoles. even the nvidia GPU performance disparity has now been isolated to a Shadow setting likely bugged somehow.

Pakoe

Forcing ReBar on Nvidia Profile Inspector has improved things I think.I'm getting mostly 60fps,dropping to about 55fps sometimes for a split second in New Atlantis.I'm playing at 4k DLSS quality on high,on a 3080Ti and a 5600x
Same here. 3080 and 5800X.
Haven't looked at the FPS, but everything feels way smoother.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

GymWolf

Probably never used ultra shadows in my life, let alone in broken games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Has anyone had any issues with the FOV mod and the 60 fps hud mod for space ship battles? I went to nexusmods to download and there were lots of comments about those causing issues with the game.
have u tweaked lod bias
nah, have stuck with -.5000, but i will give it a shot.

some people on reddit are saying to create a custom starfield ini file and set the bias setting in there. apparently nvidia profile inspector setting doesnt work in this game.

i think its crazy that a big company like Bethesda can fuck up a setting like this. reconstruction has been around since 2018 on nvidia cards, 2016 on consoles. i get that this is their first game since 2018 but their other studios have produced so many games since. Do they not get any help or knowledge sharing from arkhane? whats the point of having ID software under your publishing umbrella if you cant ask them simple questions?

Last edited:

yamaci17

Has anyone had any issues with the FOV mod and the 60 fps hud mod for space ship battles? I went to nexusmods to download and there were lots of comments about those causing issues with the game.

nah, have stuck with -.5000, but i will give it a shot.

some people on reddit are saying to create a custom starfield ini file and set the bias setting in there. apparently nvidia profile inspector setting doesnt work in this game.

i think its crazy that a big company like Bethesda can fuck up a setting like this. reconstruction has been around since 2018 on nvidia cards, 2016 on consoles. i get that this is their first game since 2018 but their other studios have produced so many games since. Do they not get any help or knowledge sharing from arkhane? whats the point of having ID software under your publishing umbrella if you cant ask them simple questions?
yeah lod bias thing sucks. I think i will end up playing native 1440p and make do with a 30 or 40 fps cap. similar to xbox sx but should have better performance since that upscales to 4k and that has insane rendering cost

because from what I'm seeing even if you make lod bias thing work, you get other oddities like the ones you show (that's why I asked)

Top Bottom