• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield: Sony is being kept in the dark about platform availability

It's from an interview with Jim Ryan for a russian magazine

- So how did you feel about Microsoft offering to buy Zenimax/Besthesda? Is there a possibility that PlayStation gamers will not be able to play the next Elder Scrolls game or Starfield?

- That’s a decision that is out of our hands, we’ll wait and see what happens. I look forward to learning about that.

Theres also other stuff in there like a possible gamepass competitor?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It's from an interview with Jim Ryan for a russian magazine

Theres also other stuff in there like a possible gamepass competitor?

How do you translate "It's not our decision" into "They're keeping us in the dark?" 😂

Considering that the game is quite far in the future, obviously negotiations still need to happen. if there will be. Nothing there means that Sony is being "kept in the dark."

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
"I look forward to learning about that" implies that he doesn't know

No. It implies that negotiations either did not happen or have not been finalized, which is normal considering that the game is a way off.

The fact that he does not know the outcome does not mean that he's being "Kept in the dark."

Not sure what stage you are on right now. Denial?

Microsoft isn't exactly helping them with the mixed messaging.

This is the latest version:

“Yes. The goal here is, I’ll say it from a cross-platform perspective. Microsoft is a platform. We’re one of the first to really support Minecraft and Fortnite across platforms. So we highly encourage cross-platform play, simply from this landscape of it. If it’s good for the gaming ecosystem, it’s good for us. Classic rising tide lifts all boats.

What we’ll do in the long run is we don’t have intentions of just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo or otherwise. But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either first, or better, or best, or pick your differentiated experience, on our platforms. We will want Bethesda content to show up the best on our platforms.

That’s not a point about being exclusive. That’s not a point about adjusting timing or content or road map, but if you think about something like Game Pass, if it shows up best in Game Pass, that’s what we want to see, and we want to drive our Game Pass subscriber base through that Bethesda pipeline.

So, again, I’m not announcing pulling content from platforms one way or the other, but I suspect you’ll continue to see a shift towards a first or better or best approach on our platforms.”

At this point, I'm fairly positive Microsoft has no idea either.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
Bethesda Archenemy #1 for sonyfans out of a sudden.

I look forward learning about that too indeed

Not sure what stage you are on right now. Denial?
I have a PC so I don't care either way. I live in reality and don't see why everyone keeps thinking all these games will suddenly go exclusive.

I admit it could be, but I just don't see it being fully exclusive. Microsoft even hinted at allowing games on the PS5 but having timed exclusives or content. There was some other thread about this somewhere.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sony was negotiating a timed exclusivity for this game when MS bought Zenimax. I think it will end being the opposite: it will have a timed exclusivity on Xbox. Once closer to launch, they won't be able to ignore a giant userbase almost 3 times as big as the Series X|S one.

Greggy

I see a timed exclusive. Just makes sense for all parties. Achieves the goal of increasing game pass's value and also filling MS's pockets.
Still can't believe I'll have to play Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop on PS5 (24 months exclusives). Sony is gangsta. For some reason MS refuses to be.

LordOfChaos

"I look forward to learning about that" implies that he doesn't know

It's at least a less charitable way to phrase it. Phil Spencer himself doesn't make it sound like anything has been decided and set in stone yet.

I'd be a bit bummed to not get Starfield and TES6 on PS5, but in the end the equation is ultimately the same for me, Microsoft exclusives on PC.

I have a PC so I don't care either way. I live in reality and don't see why everyone keeps thinking all these games will suddenly go exclusive.

I admit it could be, but I just don't see it being fully exclusive. Microsoft even hinted at allowing games on the PS5 but having timed exclusives or content. There was some other thread about this somewhere.

Um, Microsoft just paid 7.5 billion dollars to own these IP's, i have no idea why people think they wouldn't be exclusive to Microsoft platforms. Phil can't say anything yet, the deal isn't even finished so he has literally no say, Zenimax aren't under their umbrella yet so they need to be deliberately vague about it.

Will PS allow a swathe of games that have Xbox advertising and branding on them on their own system?

Sony was negotiating a timed exclusivity for this game when MS bought Zenimax. I think it will end being the opposite: it will have a timed exclusivity on Xbox. Once closer to launch, they won't be able to ignore a giant userbase almost 3 times as big as the Series X|S one.

Microsoft have access to hundreds of millions of PC players, Phil outright said they don't need Playstation for this deal to pay itself off. Why haven't they released any of their other IP on Playstation or Nintendo if their userbase was such a big deal?

I see a timed exclusive. Just makes sense for all parties. Achieves the goal of increasing game pass's value and also filling MS's pockets.
Still can't believe I'll have to play Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop on PS5 (24 months exclusives). Sony is gangsta. For some reason MS refuses to be.

Elder Scrolls I can maaaaaaybe see as timed but Starfield? No way. It's a new unproven IP. No risk making it full exclusive and seeing how Phil Spencer keeps mentioning it coming to xbox and pc, it will be.

Also, those games are 12 month exclusive, not 24.

LordOfChaos

- Is the console war still on with Microsoft then?

- [Console wars] is not a term I ever use or actually like. For me, it’s great that there’s competition. I think it makes us work harder. It avoids us getting complacent. It’s great that the consumer has a choice. I think that’s wonderful. We’re happy and we’re proud with what we have.

Part of the interview that wasn't brought up

wolffy71

Banned
Maybe it will come down to how things at xbox are going as the game gets closer. If they need to drive ecosystem adoption rates then maybe they decide to keep the games. If everything is healthy maybe they decide they can just go for the extra sales.

I'm not sure it's been decided yet.

Metnut

Hopefully it’s better than Fallout 76 or even Fallout 4. I thought both were total snoozefests.

I’m rooting for them though, after how bad things were last generation for XBox, they could sure finally use something good.

NickFire

Maybe it will come down to how things at xbox are going as the game gets closer. If they need to drive ecosystem adoption rates then maybe they decide to keep the games. If everything is healthy maybe they decide they can just go for the extra sales.
I think I would make the opposite arguments. If they are gaining or overtaking on market share, go for the kill and make them exclusive. If they are still losing 2-1, sell as much software as possible to make shareholders happy. My arguments make more sense to me, but yours are still valid and equally plausible I believe.

AmuroChan

It really doesn't hurt MS to put Bethesda games on the PS5. If anything, it makes the XBox look more enticing. You can either pay $70 to play Starfield on PS5, or just pay $15 a month for GP and play Stafield + every other MS first party game. Oh and by the way, the games will run better on the Series X. And if there are gamers who choose to get Starfield on PS5, MS gets 70% of the cut. It's a win-win for them.

It gone to be exclusive MS need that big AAA exclusive to push Gamepass and their console it will be exclusive to Xbox Console.

pratyush

New way to disguise "will Bethesda game come on PS5" thread. Didn't we have enough of this last few months? We will get to know when it comes.

BootsLoader

Banned
I don’t care about fallout but I loved Skyrim, played dozens of hours, good game with lovable bugs but.....I’m not buying Xbox for that. Maybe down the line after years when I can find a secondhand XSX.

fermcr

The best thing Sony fanboys can hope for is that Starfield is console timed exclusive... and reaches Playstation later on.

bxrz

It really doesn't hurt MS to put Bethesda games on the PS5. If anything, it makes the XBox look more enticing. You can either pay $70 to play Starfield on PS5, or just pay $15 a month for GP and play Stafield + every other MS first party game. Oh and by the way, the games will run better on the Series X. And if there are gamers who choose to get Starfield on PS5, MS gets 70% of the cut. It's a win-win for them.
It does hurt MS cause it weakens their exclusives, which means less reason to buy the console

Theres people that will buy and Xbox just to play ES6 or Starfield. They won't do that if those games end up on PS5

Last edited:

paypay88

Banned
i literally don't understand why people ask him stupid questions like this

What they expect him to say ? İnstead of useful questions

paypay88

Banned
Why you act like starfield would stay forever at 70$

it would be 40-50$ at first black friday sale.

paypay88

Banned
Assume Bethesda games are gone and if not that’s a nice bonus. MS bought Bethesda for billions to build up their Xbox ecosystem. They don’t need the money from playstation sales.
You or me don't know their strategies so its stupid to assume like you know.

Microsoft owns billions , they dont need xbox either so what

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's at least a less charitable way to phrase it. Phil Spencer himself doesn't make it sound like anything has been decided and set in stone yet.

I'd be a bit bummed to not get Starfield and TES6 on PS5, but in the end the equation is ultimately the same for me, Microsoft exclusives on PC.
Phil Spencer isn't legally allowed to decide anything for it because MS don't own Zenimax yet.

Zenimax games aren't coming to PlayStation any more than Insomniac games are coming to Xbox.

AmuroChan

It does hurt MS cause it weakens their exclusives, which means less reason to buy the console

Theres people that will buy and Xbox just to play ES6 or Starfield. They won't do that if those games end up on PS5

MS's priority isn't about selling hardware anymore. Every first party game they release is also on PC. They just want you to buy their games and/or sub to their services. If you buy Starfield on PS5, they get 70% of that purchase. Also, they can simply release Starfield first on XBox, then other platforms a few months later.

Top Bottom