• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield: Sony is being kept in the dark about platform availability

bxrz

MS's priority isn't about selling hardware anymore. Every first party game they release is also on PC. They just want you to buy their games and/or sub to their services. If you buy Starfield on PS5, they get 70% of that purchase. Also, they can simply release Starfield first on XBox, then other platforms a few months later.
Selling hardware is getting people in the ecosystem, which is their goal. Putting games on PS5 is not getting people in the ecosystem or on Game Pass. And Game Pass is on PC, a platform Microsoft isn't competing against

Last edited:
Look at all the PlayStation fanboys nervously reacting to this.

Microsoft just spent 7.5 Billion USD on purchasing all of these new properties. Of course they’re going to keep them close to the chest, and it’s being done to grow their ultimate goal of becoming the go-to and be-all of modern gaming subscription services in Game Pass and XBOX as a brand that spans more than consoles.

Microsoft has the cash and resources to play big against Sony and they’re playing the long game. All of the properties and investments Microsoft has made into XBOX recently with all the acquisitions and forming of new studios is a major FU to Sony and a real threat.

God of War and Horizon are great, but they don’t compare to Microsoft’s potential in their future game studios portfolio.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Selling hardware is getting people in the ecosystem, which is their goal. Putting games on PS5 is not getting people in the ecosystem or on Game Pass. And Game Pass is on PC, a platform Microsoft isn't competing against

MS also puts their games on Steam, which only nets them 70% of the cut, the same cut they would get from the PS5. Also, my original point was that by releasing their games on the PS5 for $70 a pop, it actually makes Gamepass look even more attractive. Who's going to argue that paying $70 to play Starfield on the PS5 is a better value proposition than paying $15 a month to play Starfield + hundreds of other games? Anyway, the CFO of MS this week has basically already confirmed that Bethesda games will appear on PS5. So it's just a matter of whether they'll be timed exclusives or not.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Phil Spencer isn't legally allowed to decide anything for it because MS don't own Zenimax yet.

Zenimax games aren't coming to PlayStation any more than Insomniac games are coming to Xbox.
Agreed.

Also, if Elder Scrolls or Doom....why not Gears or Halo. So only half their catalog will go?

I dont see it happening.

ACESHIGH

Banned
And I love it. PC and Xbox gamers have been there lots of times with their shady third party "exclusives" Feels good.

Last edited:

InDaGulag

MS also puts their games on Steam, which only nets them 70% of the cut, the same cut they would get from the PS5. Also, my original point was that by releasing their games on the PS5 for $70 a pop, it actually makes Gamepass look even more attractive. Who's going to argue that paying $70 to play Starfield on the PS5 is a better value proposition than paying $15 a month to play Starfield + hundreds of other games? Anyway, the CFO of MS this week has basically already confirmed that Bethesda games will appear on PS5. So it's just a matter of whether they'll be timed exclusives or not.

Most gaming PCs run the Windows operating system. You know the one owned by Microsoft? Windows is also home to the Microsoft Store, GamePass, Xbox Live and Microsoft Office.

People buying or building a gaming PC benefits Microsoft, as it offers new avenues for revenue growth. If people want to they can enter the Xbox/Microsoft gaming ecosystem easily.

All PlayStation offers is a 70% cut on game sales. For obvious reasons, there's no GamePass or Microsoft store.

AmuroChan

Most gaming PCs run the Windows operating system. You know the one owned by Microsoft? Windows is also home to the Microsoft Store, GamePass, Xbox Live and Microsoft Office.

People buying or building a gaming PC benefits Microsoft, as it offers new avenues for revenue growth. If people want to they can enter the Xbox/Microsoft gaming ecosystem easily.

All PlayStation offers is a 70% cut on game sales. For obvious reasons, there's no GamePass or Microsoft store.

Not sure what your argument is. Sony also has a deal with MS to use Azure. Every PlayStation that ends up using that technology is revenue in MS's pocket. MS is in the business of making money. They've already released their games on other platforms that are not part of their ecosystem. They are not the walled garden that Sony and Nintendo are. Also, their CFO this week said Bethesda games will be first or best on XBox. So the notion that future Bethesda games will NEVER appear on a PlayStation platform ever again has no merit.

AmuroChan

He also said "on their platforms". The PS5 isn't an xbox platform.

First or best on their platforms. Meaning the games can be "later" or "worse" on other platforms.

The exact quote:

"What we'll do in the long run is we don't have intentions of just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo or otherwise. But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either first or better or best or pick your differentiated experience, on our platforms. We will want Bethesda content to show up the best as -- on our platforms.

Yes. That's not a point about being exclusive. That's not a point about we're being -- adjusting timing or content or road map. But if you think about something like Game Pass, if it shows up best in Game Pass, that's what we want to see, and we want to drive our Game Pass subscriber base through that Bethesda pipeline.

So again, I'm not announcing pulling content from platforms one way or the other. But I suspect you'll continue to see us shift towards a first or better or best approach on our platforms."

giphy.gif

"If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em out"

MrFunSocks

Banned
First or best on their platforms. Meaning the games can be "later" or "worse" on other platforms.

The exact quote:
You can't pull content from other consoles when it doesn't release there in the first place.

You're not getting Zenimax games on your PS5. Deal with it.

AmuroChan

You can't pull content from other consoles when it doesn't release there in the first place.

I don't need to deal with it. I have an XBox and PC. If you have no reading comprehension that's not my problem. Also, your statement is wrong to begin with. We already know Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop will be on PS5, as Microsoft has already said they will honor the deal that was signed with Sony.

Redlight

"Starfield: Sony is being kept in the dark about platform availability"

I can help!

It's an Xbox ecosystem exclusive. No need to thank me.

Boss Man

Dude, that quote is from the CFO of Xbox.

I expected them to be exclusive too, but it certainly doesn’t look that way right now.

bxrz

Microsoft is not in direct competition with Steam either, not as much as they are against Sony. PS5 owners will pay 70$ for Starfield and continue to not care about Xbox or Game Pass. If the game is great than you have to be on their platform to experience it. Just like how Xbox owners had to get a PS4 to experience God Of War.

Does it make Game Pass look attractive, sure but people that only have a PS5 will not buy an Xbox to play Starfield when its already available on their console...

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't need to deal with it. I have an XBox and PC. If you have no reading comprehension that's not my problem. Also, your statement is wrong to begin with. We already know Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop will be on PS5, as Microsoft has already said they will honor the deal that was signed with Sony.
Obviously games that are already coming out on PS5 with contracts signed will come out on PS5. Anything after that will not.

Dude, that quote is from the CFO of Xbox.

I expected them to be exclusive too, but it certainly doesn’t look that way right now.
Microsoft cannot legally come out and say they're going to make all the games exclusive. They don't own Zenimax yet.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Does it make Game Pass look attractive, sure but people that only have a PS5 will not buy an Xbox to play Starfield when its already on their console...

They may not for ONE game, but when they see that they can pay $15 a month to play Starfield, Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, etc then it becomes highly attractive. It worked on me. I was PS4-only for a while, but as GP's value continued to get better and better, at some point it was just too good to pass up and I got a One X. This gen is even easier to get into their ecosystem with the Series S being $299.

MrFunSocks

Banned
For those thinking that Zenimax games like Starfield are going to come to PS5 - do you also think that Halo Infinite will come to PS5? Gears 6? Forza Horizon 5?

If not, why not?

Boss Man

Microsoft cannot legally come out and say they're going to make all the games exclusive. They don't own Zenimax yet.
He explicitly said that they plan to continue releasing the games on Playstation and Nintendo platforms but will expect the Xbox version to be first and/or better. He didn’t not legally come out and say they’re going to make them exclusive, he straight up came out and said that, as their new publisher, they will not.

I honestly would prefer that they did make them exclusive because it would create more reasons to own an Xbox. At the very least they should negotiate with Sony in some way. Timed exclusives are worst case scenario in my opinion, they’re just not really good for anyone.

MrFunSocks

Banned
He explicitly said that they plan to continue releasing the games on Playstation and Nintendo platforms but will expect the Xbox version to be first and/or better. He didn’t not legally come out and say they’re going to make them exclusive, he straight up came out and said that, as their new publisher, they will not.

I honestly would prefer that they did make them exclusive because it would create more reasons to own an Xbox. At the very least they should negotiate with Sony in some way. Timed exclusives are worst case scenario in my opinion, they’re just not really good for anyone.
They're not coming to PS5 lol. I guess the next Forza, Gears, Halo, Ori, Sea of Thieves, etc are all going to release on PS5 too then?

Buying Zenimax only to keep releasing games on the PS5 literally makes zero sense. It literally defeats the entire purpose of buying them. MS aren't going to spend $7.5bil to keep giving you less reason to buy into the xbox ecosystem.

Seriously, some of you guys don't seem to have any basic common sense.

Last edited:

Boss Man

They're not coming to PS5 lol. I guess the next Forza, Gears, Halo, Ori, Sea of Thieves, etc are all going to release on PS5 too then.
I mean if the CFO of Xbox said, “We’re not looking for the next Halo to not be on Playstation or Nintendo platforms. What we’re planning to do is release it day one on Gamepass, and first and/or better on Xbox.” Then yeah, I’d start preparing for Halo to be on PS5.

It really doesn't hurt MS to put Bethesda games on the PS5. If anything, it makes the XBox look more enticing. You can either pay $70 to play Starfield on PS5, or just pay $15 a month for GP and play Stafield + every other MS first party game. Oh and by the way, the games will run better on the Series X. And if there are gamers who choose to get Starfield on PS5, MS gets 70% of the cut. It's a win-win for them.

I actually think it’s more detrimental to Microsoft than beneficial if Bethesda games show up on PS5. Yes, Microsoft will make more money, but I fail to see how putting most or even some Bethesda games on a strong, comparable competing platform will help the XBOX’s image and market share. Why spend all that money on an immense acquisition only to still put games on your already powerful, dominant competitor?

I feel that instead of investing into the XBOX ecosystem, most people will just wait until those Bethesda games show up on their platform of choice even if they aren’t quite as good which remains to be seen. It’s the same way people think Sony releasing their first party games on the PC will entice people to buy a PS5. Most PC owners will probably just wait for the ports.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I actually think it’s more detrimental to Microsoft than beneficial if Bethesda games show up on PS5. Yes, Microsoft will make more money, but I fail to see how putting most or even some Bethesda games on a strong, comparable competing platform will help the XBOX’s image and market share.

I feel that instead of investing into the XBOX ecosystem, most people will just wait until those Bethesda games show up on their platform of choice even if they aren’t quite as good which remains to be seen. It’s the same way people think Sony releasing their first party games on the PC will entice people to buy a PS5. Most PC owners will probably just wait for the ports.
People on here don't seem to understand that MS could not care less about getting revenue from PS5 game sales. Revenue for games is not their concern. Like I have said many times before, if revenue was all they cared about they'd release all their games on all the consoles, including PS5. They won't though because Playstation game revenue is nothing to MS. They want people buying into their ecosystem, and that doesn't happen if you release games outside your ecosystem.

AmuroChan

I actually think it’s more detrimental to Microsoft than beneficial if Bethesda games show up on PS5. Yes, Microsoft will make more money, but I fail to see how putting most or even some Bethesda games on a strong, comparable competing platform will help the XBOX’s image and market share.

I guess we'll see. Microsoft's market share will grow regardless of what Sony and Nintendo are doing. GP will be on everything eventually, including mobile via xCloud. If some of their games appear on other platforms, like Minecraft, Ori, Cuphead, etc, I don't think it hurts the XBox brand much, if at all. Minecraft is their best selling game by far and it's on everything. I think it actually helps them spread brand awareness when hundreds of millions of people see the Microsoft Games Studios logo every time they boot up Minecraft.

InDaGulag

A similar thing already happens with Steam and EGS 'exclusives.' If they're timed a significant portion of people will opt to wait for the game to release on Steam, rather then buy it on the EGS.

And yet somehow people here think if Microsoft owned games have a timed console exclusive for Xbox consoles, countless Sony fans will rush out to buy a $500 Xbox just to play Bethesda games? Hell no. Most will wait a year.

But if said games are exclusive to PC/Xbox/GamePass then those folks will have no choice but to buy their way into the Xbox ecosystem. Which is what Microsoft is aiming for. It's the whole point of GamePass and uniting all their gaming divisions under the Xbox brand. They want to become the Netflix of gaming and get as many people as they can into their ecosystem.

Releasing their games on PlayStation does nothing for that, unless Sony buckles and allows full Xbox Live integration and Game Pass on their platform. Then you will see Xbox Game Studio games on PlayStation. But until then, no.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I guess we'll see. Microsoft's market share will grow regardless of what Sony and Nintendo are doing. GP will be on everything eventually, including mobile via xCloud. If some of their games appear on other platforms, like Minecraft, Ori, Cuphead, etc, I don't think it hurts the XBox brand much, if at all. Minecraft is their best selling game by far and it's on everything. I think it actually helps them spread brand awareness when hundreds of millions of people see the Microsoft Games Studios logo every time they boot up Minecraft.
Minecraft is the exception to almost every rule in gaming history. It’s literally the best selling game of all time.

Don’t use minecraft as an example.

Last edited:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I have a PS5 and have a series X on the way. I don't have a dog in the fight.

But I do have some experience that may be relevant to this issue.

And that experience says it's POSSIBLE (likely? Dunno) but it's POSSIBLE that the planets align in such a way that Sony will be happy if Xbox keeps Starfield off PS5.

I talk about it in the video below.

The short of it tho is this:

E3 96= WAVE RACE 64 and JET MOTO
Jet Moto being similar to Nintendo's flagship game but exclusive to Sony helped- according to marketing- Jet Moto go on to spawn 2 sequels and sell millions.

IF rumors are true and Sony has a sci-fi/space action title they are working on, history could be repeating itself.

AmuroChan

Minecraft is the exception to almost every rule in gaming history. It’s literally the best selling game of all time.

Don’t use minecraft as an example.

It's the best selling game because it's literally on everything. Anyway, we'll find out at some point when the next Bethesda game not named Ghostwire or Deathloop releases. Or if after the deal is finalized next year MS will just officially say no Bethesda game will ever come out on a Nintendo of Sony platform ever again. For now, their CFO has obviously left the door open.

People on here don't seem to understand that MS could not care less about getting revenue from PS5 game sales. Revenue for games is not their concern. Like I have said many times before, if revenue was all they cared about they'd release all their games on all the consoles, including PS5. They won't though because Playstation game revenue is nothing to MS. They want people buying into their ecosystem, and that doesn't happen if you release games outside your ecosystem.

Good points. I think I the reason people keep insinuating that Bethesda games are coming to PS5 is because of Microsoft’s indecisive and peculiar wording. Personally, I don’t think Bethesda games are coming to PS5 anytime soon if ever, but their stances and statements tells me there could be some type of debate going on behind close doors. Again I doubt it, but if you put ES6 and Fallout 6 on PS5, might as well give Sony Halo and Gears then. Surely Microsoft isn’t that crazy, are they?

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's the best selling game because it's literally on everything. Anyway, we'll find out at some point when the next Bethesda game not named Ghostwire or Deathloop releases. Or if after the deal is finalized next year MS will just officially say no Bethesda game will ever come out on a Nintendo of Sony platform ever again. For now, their CFO has obviously left the door open.
Their CFO legally cannot close the door, like I've already said.

The bit on a game pass competition sounds pretty great to me. A bundling if ps+ and now seems like a no brainer.

I figured that they would come out with a true Gamepass competitor at some point - the PS Plus Collection really further cemented my thoughts. I have a feeling they won't likely ever do first party releases day one, but I expect them to have a very compelling competitor. I'd definitely sign up for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom