• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield: The Endless Pursuit Episode 1 (7min dev diary)

Caio

This is my most anticipated Game in 2022, and I have appreciated the passion leaked from the interview. I hope this will be a fantastic Game.

Stuart360

Why are people excited about this again? Based on what, freaking concept art and words
I know you are just trying to bait troll, but i'll answer you.
The game is made by Bethesda, the developers of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series. Its their first new IP in 20 years, and has been described as Skyrim in space. Thats why.

You know its getting quite tiresome this campaign by certain sections to try and paint Bethesda as some no mark studio who only make broken games. All since they were bought up by Microsoft.

Fact is if Bethesda was still multiplatform, we would have endless Starfield threads on here.

kingfey

Banned
Why are people excited about this again? Based on what, freaking concept art and words
Like others said, they made the elder scrolls.

That series is considered a part of gaming history. You are the center of the game. You can do whatever you want to do.

If startfield is from the studio that made those series, then expect a great open world, with rich exploration.

Stuart360

Do you think main bethesda had the man power to help Austin studio for the entireproduction cycle, considering starfield and the engine overhaul?
Yeah i also read that the vast majority of F76 was done by the Austin studio. Todd's whole 'it was a massive undertaking, and all outr studios were involved blah blah' was merely hype.
Ther are also quite a few Youtube vids that go in detail the story behind F76's developemnt. Although i dont know whre they get their info.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I know you are just trying to bait troll, but i'll answer you.
The game is made by Bethesda, the developers of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series. Its their first new IP in 20 years, and has been described as Skyrim in space. Thats why.

You know its getting quite tiresome this campaign by certain sections to try and paint Bethesda as some no mark studio who only make broken games. All since they were bought up by Microsoft.

Fact is if Bethesda was still multiplatform, we would have endless Starfield threads on here.
No trolling at all on my part (we basically said the same thing). I genuinely think all hype is bad all the time, especially before gameplay footage and proper mechanics demonstrations. Using the track record of a company can be a pitfall too. Surely you've been around long enough to know that no studio is invulnerable to becoming bad (or by that token, capable of becoming better again). All I ask is that people stop fanboying games and just wait for proper releases, otherwise you get shit like New World, Star Citizen, Cyberpunk, etc. Once the game releases and it's great, go nuts.

TLDR no one wants a bad Bethesda game.

Never been into Fallout or Skyrim games based on the worlds, I'm just not that interested for days on end. I'm so down for what they're pitching with Starfield. I hope they let you flip flop between solo/coop. Such a detailed world, why not enable your buddies to drop in and out at will? Either why I'll give it a solid go on my own or with some mates.

Last edited:

Starfield

Do you think main bethesda had the man power to help Austin studio for the entireproduction cycle, considering starfield and the engine overhaul?
Do you think every single person at bgs Maryland was doing engine overhaul? An artist, a gameplay designer a story writer.

Engine overhaul was maybe done by like 20 core engine programmers aswell as some outsource companies like theforge

Starfield

Yeah i also read that the vast majority of F76 was done by the Austin studio. Todd's whole 'it was a massive undertaking, and all outr studios were involved blah blah' was merely hype.
Ther are also quite a few Youtube vids that go in detail the story behind F76's developemnt. Although i dont know whre they get their info.
Out of their ass

kingfey

Banned
No trolling at all on my part (we basically said the same thing). I genuinely think all hype is bad all the time, especially before gameplay footage and proper mechanics demonstrations. Using the track record of a company can be a pitfall too. Surely you've been around long enough to know that no studio is invulnerable to becoming bad (or by that token, capable of becoming better again). All I ask is that people stop fanboying games and just wait for proper releases, otherwise you get shit like New World, Star Citizen, Cyberpunk, etc. Once the game releases and it's great, go nuts.

TLDR no one wants a bad Bethesda game.
Bethesda bad games comes from the creation engine, or Gamebryo.

The engine had tons of problems, its why most of their games looks like broken.

THEAP99

Banned
Where's the gameplay at? This game has nothing to show but concept art and marketing terms after being officially announced for over 3 years.

kingfey

Banned
Do you think every single person at bgs Maryland was doing engine overhaul? An artist, a gameplay designer a story writer.

Engine overhaul was maybe done by like 20 core engine programmers aswell as some outsource companies like theforge
Ask 343 about slipengine.

Engine overhaul isn't normal task.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
This will either be the best game of the decade or biggest disappointment

Inviusx

I just hope they don't oversell this game like No Man's Sky. I still don't have any idea of what gameplay is going to be like.

The Outer Worlds/Mass Effect but planet hubs will be bigger. It's not going to be procedural like NMS. It will have hand crafted hubs on different planets but the planets themselves won't be fully explorable, just the hub itself and some of the area around it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The bad relationship was little bit ugly here

Tonight Show What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

T0minator

I'm hoping for some gameplay soon, it's the hype surrounding the game that has me so intrigued. I never could get into Fallout or Elder Scrolls. But this one looks more like what I would like.

I'm just now noticing that Microsoft this generation has hardly shown any gameplay of any of their games they're working on. Everything after Grounded this year has zero gameplay shown so far.

Avowed
Starfield
Everwild
Contraband
Fable
Forza motorsport
Perfect dark
Hellblade 2
State of Decay 3
The Outerworld 2

All with no gameplay and all CGI so far.

It's an interesting strategy on Microsofts part. Sony has a different strategy of not announcing anything until gameplay is closer to being shown. I'm hoping at the Game Awards we see a least a few of those or even just 1. Hellblade 2 seems the most likely

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
The Outer Worlds/Mass Effect but planet hubs will be bigger. It's not going to be procedural like NMS. It will have hand crafted hubs on different planets but the planets themselves won't be fully explorable, just the hub itself and some of the area around it.

Is that confirmed, or are you speculating? Because that sounds kind of underwhelming, tbh.

Man people really give a fuck about fallout 76 being made by bethesda - THATS what you have against them? They’ve made games for decades - one not so good game comes out (I don’t even know if it is I haven’t played it) and suddenly they’re trash. Jesus

reksveks

It's an interesting strategy on Microsofts part. Sony has a different strategy of not announcing anything until gameplay is closer to being shown. I'm hoping at the Game Awards we see a least a few of those or even just 1. Hellblade 2 seems the most likely
Yeah, they just seem to like their old fashion tone pieces. I don't think TGA is sadly the place for having 2/3 clips basically just of gameplay. I do think that you will get 1 though that has a decent mix of gameplay cut with more CG tone piece.

There are a couple of those which I think we will see a shorter marketing cycle between gameplay reveal and release like FM, Redfall and Starfield.

T0minator

Yeah, they just seem to like their old fashion tone pieces. I don't think TGA is sadly the place for having 2/3 clips basically just of gameplay. I do think that you will get 1 though that has a decent mix of gameplay cut with more CG tone piece.

There are a couple of those which I think we will see a shorter marketing cycle between gameplay reveal and release like FM, Redfall and Starfield.
I really wish CGI trailers die out this gen... They do nothing for me. As soon as I see a CGI trailer line we did with Hellblade 2....it died absolutely nothing for me. Redfall something. I want to see what devs are capable of with this new hardware. I would be really disappointed if we get more CGI trailers next week

reksveks

I really wish CGI trailers die out this gen... They do nothing for me. As soon as I see a CGI trailer line we did with Hellblade 2....it died absolutely nothing for me. Redfall something. I want to see what devs are capable of with this new hardware. I would be really disappointed if we get more CGI trailers next week
I don't mind them honestly but yeah, can see why people are burnt out on them. I don't expect more than 2 possibly 3 first party clips from Microsoft (excluding a customary gamepass montage video). I also don't put it past one of those clips being Halo.

Starfield

I'm hoping for some gameplay soon, it's the hype surrounding the game that has me so intrigued. I never could get into Fallout or Elder Scrolls. But this one looks more like what I would like.

I'm just now noticing that Microsoft this generation has hardly shown any gameplay of any of their games they're working on. Everything after Grounded this year has zero gameplay shown so far.

Avowed
Starfield
Everwild
Contraband
Fable
Forza motorsport
Perfect dark
Hellblade 2
State of Decay 3
The Outerworld 2

Starfield trailer was in-game

Wulfer

Avowed
Starfield
Everwild
Contraband
Fable
Forza motorsport
Perfect dark
Hellblade 2
State of Decay 3
The Outerworld 2

If nothing at TGA, then E3 is locked and loaded! Heck showing 4 of those could be earth shattering.

T0minator

If nothing at TGA, then E3 is locked and loaded! Heck showing 4 of those could be earth shattering.
Summer next year is going to blow everyone socks off. Microsoft Sony and possibly Nintendo are bringing their A game. If we see Spiderman 2, Naughty Dogs next game and any of those Microsoft games 🤯 no more CGI!! It's a waste of everyone's time

T0minator

Yeah I know Todd Howard already stated next summer. But for the other games in Microsofts portfolio I'm hoping for something to hold us off until then. Starfields gameplay is a little too secretive at this point. Starfield is my most anticipated game for Xbox I want to see more!! Lol

kingfey

Banned
Idk how an artist or writer would be helpful with overhauling a game engine but ok, I'll ask them next time I see them
Artists are usually contractors.
Unless they are very talented, and primary target for the company, most of them are contractors, who are there, until the project is done.

Its why you see alot of open positions, when the company is making new games.

The ones that stays are the programmers. Those are the one who make the games.

So yes, reworking game engine is their job.

kingfey

Banned
Yeah I know Todd Howard already stated next summer. But for the other games in Microsofts portfolio I'm hoping for something to hold us off until then. Starfields gameplay is a little too secretive at this point. Starfield is my most anticipated game for Xbox I want to see more!! Lol
They will go the skyrim route.

They did trailer, and history for the game. Same thing they did for starfield (only teaser). Skyrim was December 2010, and stated the release date for skyrim in 11/11/11.

They are doing the same thing for starfield.

Ms messed up their schedule little bit.

svbarnard

Banned
Yeah Skyrim is one of my most played games ever, if Starfield is anything like that it’ll make me forget other games even exist for awhile.

I get slightly nervous when they say it’s more grounded and realistic though. That sounds bad to me. Realism is boring. I play RPGs for escapism, in a sci-fi RPG I want all kinds of crazy alien worlds and life forms, not some kind of astronaut simulator. I hope I’m just over thinking how they phrased that.
In outer space, even based on realism, anything can happen, any life form can exist, crazy stuff can exist in outer space. What they mean is this is science fiction that's based on science but it's still science fiction.

kingfey

Banned

"The studio is led by Todd Howard as executive producer and Ashley Cheng as studio director. Bethesda Game Studios operates three satellite studios, one in Montreal and two in Texas, and employs 420 people as of March 2021"

The game is from his branch studio. So f076 is directly from him. But his main studio weren't spear heading the project.

The game would have turned to fallout 4.

That is the difference.

He gave the IP to a branch studio, instead of the main studio. And they fucked it up.

The main studio is the one that is doing starfield, and was the one responsible for elderscroll games (not eso), and fallout series (not vegas).

I am not absolving him from the blame. He deserves the shit for that game. Just don't bring bethesda Maryland studio in to that shitshow of a game.

Dr Bass

Welp, I just went and bought Skyrim for a THIRD time (on Switch, already have it on Xbox and PS) both to support Bethesda, and in anticipation of Starfield. Yeah I'm dumb. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom