• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Started watching Dawson’s Creek.

Pilgrimzero

2 episodes in…

Aside from a bunch of pretty middle to upper class white people (as per the usual), I have to say that the main character Dawson is such a fantasy it’s amazing people latched on. He’s almost “too perfect” if he wasn’t so oblivious.

His friend Pacey is a grade A shit head and I’m surprised no one has kicked his ass yet.

The 2 girls are the only ones who seem in any way realistic. Atleast Joey is aware that Dawson is fine AF and wants him but can’t tell him. I can’t wait for them to hook up and then break up and then be friends again.

That said, it’s good. I see why people still talk about it to this day. The characters (despite Pacey) are interesting. Good music in the show, great 90s tunes.

Onto episode 3!

NeoGiffer

dawson-creek-crying-gif.gif

clem84

Gold Member
It was from a different time. None of those kids had cell phones. Society was so different so it's like a trip down memory lane.

The show had its moments. It's been a very long time since I saw it. I don't know how well it has aged. I wonder how 15 year olds nowadays would feel about the show if they watched it from beginning to end.

Last edited:
Oh and what always bothers me about these type of shows is they are 20 something’s playing teens who talk like worldly 40 year olds.
That was always awkward to me. They improved on it in later seasons.

There's a lot of great older shows that you can watch nowadays.

Dawson's Creek is not among those.
Disagree. You have to be in the mood for it a lot of the time, but it hits the spot when you are in the mood for some naive teen melodrama and has some great episodes.

2 episodes in…

Aside from a bunch of pretty middle to upper class white people (as per the usual), I have to say that the main character Dawson is such a fantasy it’s amazing people latched on. He’s almost “too perfect” if he wasn’t so oblivious.

His friend Pacey is a grade A shit head and I’m surprised no one has kicked his ass yet.

The 2 girls are the only ones who seem in any way realistic. Atleast Joey is aware that Dawson is fine AF and wants him but can’t tell him. I can’t wait for them to hook up and then break up and then be friends again.

That said, it’s good. I see why people still talk about it to this day. The characters (despite Pacey) are interesting. Good music in the show, great 90s tunes.

Onto episode 3!
Dawson feels like a case of a great side character thrust into the main role, which he is ill-fit for. Pacey in Season 1 is insufferable but once season 2 rolls around he becomes the most entertaining character and continues to surprise the audience. Joey is a character that is consistently indecisive but also intrinsically curious. If it was not for her looks and book smarts she would probably piss people off. Jen goes through phases, but never really gets anywhere. The second season adds some much needed new blood to the group.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never watched he show. I think it was on one of those US cable TV channels you had to pay more for. But was familiar enough to know about it.

Cute Katie Holmes looking her best.

Doom85

The most I know about Dawson’s Creek, aside from seeing little bits as a teen and thinking Katie Holmes was mad cute, was this little bit from Family Guy (in the early days when it was good):

IIRC:

Death: You’re going to have to kill the cast of Dawson’s Creek.
Peter: Ah, crap. I knew as soon as I saw that show, I was like, “I‘m going to have to kill them one day”.
Lois: It’s true. He really said that.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
In college, I forget the course, we had to do a mini lecture on any pop culture topic we wanted to, keeping it between fifteen and twenty minutes. This girl gave the most impassioned lecture on why Dawson's Creek was such a pivotal show and meaningful to the lives of teenage girls. Mind you, this was years after it had concluded, and this girl would have been a child when it was on the air. She damn near made me want to watch it. Still, never seen a single episode.

ShadowNate

I don't remember much of this series, nothing of any plot if it had any. I don't think I've watched many episodes but I must have watched a few.
The most memorable was Paula Cole's theme song -- and that woman was gorgeous back then. And both the main actresses left a good impression. I later saw Holmes on Nolan's first Batman and she was painfully out of place in that one. Apparently Williams was in Venom; she didn't make a lasting impression but she was decent in it as far as I recall.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I remember watching like 3 minutes of this with my first GF and being appalled when she told me that they never had sex in the show.
I was like, “WTF? This dude dates Katie Holmes and they never banged??” My GF wasn’t happy with my comment. Something about love being more important than sex and attraction. And yet we could barely keep out hands off each other. She was probably jealous of Katie Holmes’s looks.

I’m so happy I spent my free time playing vidya instead of watching teenage dramas in my teens.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Used to watch this when I was a teen… cause I had a crush on Holmes.

Rewatch now? No thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom