• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 3 - New Trailer | Xbox Direct Showcase 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member
GPpbFQ6XgAAswgV

Set years after a zombie apocalypse nearly wiped out humankind, State of Decay 3 is the next evolution in the State of Decay franchise. As the zombie threat continues to claim lives, you must fight back and reclaim lost ground, carving out a life for your community of survivalist homesteaders.​

GPpbJJDWcAAyLoY

Last edited:
State of decay 1 and 2 both great games, but never reached the full potential I feel. Hopefully this one perfects the formula

POKEYCLYDE

I need to see a lot more gameplay. I might want to get my friends to play this depending on how the gameplay is.

MrRibeye

Has the potential to be pure cocaine,
but I didn't like that she's a Michonne type character, because it feels repetitive.

Yup seems to be miles off and nothing that couldn't be SOD2 but prettier. Bummed/10

Smoke and mirrors again. I enjoyed this showcase but I still don’t trust them at all. I’m waiting to see how these games actually turn out. Some fans are desperate for positivity. I just want impressive, great games and the bullshit to stop.

StueyDuck

15min gameplay/deep-dive on Tuesday
im gonna say that you probably aren't going to get a lot of gameplay there. short clips and talking heads chatting about the game and how cool the things you aren't seeing will be, they promise.

Last edited:

simpatico

you going to be ok? you upset by a flag?
I will be. More worried about the guys waving this flag having fecal continence in their 50s. Financially I'm long on adult diaper stocks for sure. Depends is going to make a killing when Gen X are in their 60s.

Bridges

This is great news, truly the biggest necessary change from 2.

I dont see any gameplay
I'm pretty sure the cinematics were intermixed with gameplay. There were moments where characters were rotating in a way that looks like moving the right stick, not the kind of thing that would ever look natural in a cinematic. Unless they're just being intentionally deceitful, I really think there was gameplay there.

Regardless, it seems they didn't learn their lesson from the Fable trailer debacle either, if they're showing gameplay they should make it obvious to avoid these debates. Seeing a HUD for South of Midnight was a breath of fresh air

Hopefully this isn't 2-3 years away although it sure seems like it from that trailer.

Highly doubt the game looks as good as the trailer. I'm getting annoyed by "all objects are in UE5" spiel. Either show actual gameplay or don't. Really misleading to show snippets of what looks like it could be real gameplay. It is going to be an online co-op game. I doubt graphics are going to be cutting edge and that is fine. The trailer was absolutely rubbish just like the first CGI trailer

Still really looking forward to the game as their is tons of potential. At a minimum, the trailer reassures me that the game is not in horrible developmental hell

FlyyGOD

Highly doubt the game looks as good as the trailer. I'm getting annoyed by "all objects are in UE5" spiel. Either show actual gameplay or don't. Really misleading to show snippets of what looks like it could be real gameplay. It is going to be an online co-op game. I doubt graphics are going to be cutting edge and that is fine. The trailer was absolutely rubbish just like the first CGI trailer

Still really looking forward to the game as their is tons of potential. At a minimum, the trailer reassures me that the game is not in horrible developmental hell
Same was said of Hellblade 2 showing last year. How many ate crow claiming it was cgi shown?

clarky

Gold Member

Agree with all of that, i was expecting this to be nearly done and it looks miles off, disappointment of the show.

Same was said of Hellblade 2 showing last year. How many ate crow claiming it was cgi shown?
To be fair, last year, people didn't think Hellblade 2 would be a completely on the rails video game that played like a borderline tech demo. State of Decay 3 is going to be a gaas game. No gaas games have cutting edge graphics because developers want as many people playing it as possible.

Sagii86

To be fair, last year, people didn't think Hellblade 2 would be a completely on the rails video game that played like a borderline tech demo. State of Decay 3 is going to be a gaas game. No gaas games have cutting edge graphics because developers want as many people playing it as possible.

As a UE prop guy I'm getting tired of comments as such. What you've seen is 100% realtime cut scenes and short in game sequences.

As a UE prop guy I'm getting tired of comments as such. What you've seen is 100% realtime cut scenes and short in game sequences.
Yes, it is an in engine cutscene. But that shit ain't optimized to be running on an Xbox Series X. And I guarantee you those flashes of "gameplay" will be severely downgraded

Last edited:

Sagii86

Yes, it is an in engine cutscene. But that shit ain't optimized to be running on an Xbox Series X. And I guarantee you those flashes of "gameplay" will be severely downgraded
"You guarantee". Based on what? The team specifically mentioned in-game footage and cinematics. I've worked on assets with the same texel density and texture sizes as shown in the trailer.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't really see anything in that SoD 3 trailer that doesn't seem like a moderately budgeted Unreal Engine 5 game made for the current gen.

Hopefully it releases within the next year and half.

JayK47

I wonder if it will feel anything like the first game, my favorite of the series. The second game just wasn't as much fun. There wasn't much of a story. Just survive and take out infestations until map was cleared, them move to new location.

clarky

Gold Member
The Rock Clapping GIF

This all sounds spectacular. And they’re a smaller team, so I love that they are collaborating with Obsidian and Coalition. Take all the time you need.
Yeah hopefully Phil has learned his lesson pushing shite out of the door like Forza and Redfall. I'd like this to launch in a better state, big fan of the Series.

Top Bottom