• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Disgaea PC uses paletted texture formats.
I haven't seen one of those in a decade. Pretty amazing.

(Before anyone misunderstands, this is not a bad thing. Or a good thing. It's just a thing)

"The Steam Controller has many admirers and it's a dream for tinkerers, but we prefer the more comfortable, plug and play alternatives."

Translates to:

"The Steam Controller has many admirers and it's a dream for tinkerers, but we prefer to treat PC like a console and ignore what it's best at."
I think the Steam controller really is the first PC controller.

I have some Steam keys for you. Choose wisely and good luck

Great giveaway and thanks.
I entered for Ashes of Singularity.

I hope tomorrow when preordering the Vive that you dont have to pay up front. I still wanna see and wait. Hope someone will make Oculus games available for Vive and vice versa.

Red Hood

Banned
Could you delightful peeps take a screenshot of your Steam categories, I'm trying to organize my Steam library and am in need of inspiration

I suppose mine is basically like the majority here. Sorted on genres, but series with three games or more get their own folder. And while a few people call certain games "shit", I just call then games I'm uninterested in (e.g. gotten in bundles, or disappointments).

naamloosynu6c.png

Dr Dogg

(Before anyone misunderstands, this is not a bad thing. Or a good thing. It's just a thing)

Are you going to do a write up, either on your blog or proper PCG article if you have the time? You seem quite enamoured with how it's been brought over so could be a great read.

I hope tomorrow when preordering the Vive that you dont have to pay up front. I still wanna see and wait. Hope someone will make Oculus games available for Vive and vice versa.

Going from the blog post that was linked in the pricing thread it sounds like funds are checked/allocated on credit card transactions and paid in full on check out for PayPal transactions. So depends on your bank I'd assume but over here funds can only be held for 5 working days so it would more likely be a check to make sure you have suffcient funds and then charged on dispatch.

If with shipping it works out about £730-750 I get the feeling I'm going to do something very stupid.

Jawmuncher

I can't bother to go that in depth with my lists. I have maybe 10? I sort games by what priority to play, indie or aaa, and if I've beaten them or not.

Durante

Are you going to do a write up, either on your blog or proper PCG article if you have the time? You seem quite enamoured with how it's been brought over so could be a great read.
No, I'm just having a look because I want to try to xbrz the sprites.

It took me a good long while to understand what's going on -- I don't think anyone expects to encounter a palettized texture format in 2016.

XShagrath

img]http://i.imgur.com/Y5aSDaP.jpg[/img]

A lot of games overlap among the categories but I prefer it this way the most.
Your list is very similar to mine. I go so far as to put games into multiple categories, in case I want to play a game of a particular type.

Deques

No, I'm just having a look because I want to try to xbrz the sprites.

It took me a good long while to understand what's going on -- I don't think anyone expects to encounter a palettized texture format in 2016.

For someone who is completely stupid. What does palettized texture mean?

jQVWi2O.jpg

Yeah that is nice but then we see situations like Adrift where VR is exclusive to Oculus.

From what Adam Orth wrote it seems its not exclusive, but will launch there first. The whole announcement is a mess though.

Is ADR1FT VR Oculus Rift exclusive?

No!

We are working on bringing ADR1FT to other VR platforms. We just aren’t ready to make any announcements about them yet. Soon!

I just wonder why not just announce it now. I mean they announced it for the Vive and Oculus before and judging from that it seems they ported it to SteamVR/OpenVR.
I saw it with a lot of devs though. They say "We first focus on Oculus, then maybe port it to Vive."

http://www.allvrnews.com/home/2016/...dr1ft-officially-announces-oculus-only-launch

This "it isnt exclusive and it isnt timed" seems it will also be available for the Vive launch. The whole exclusive shenanigans with the VR headsets are fucking stupid and not really consumer-friendly.

dex3108

From what Adam Orth wrote it seems its not exclusive, but will launch there first. The whole announcement is a mess though.

I just wonder why not just announce it now. I mean they announced it for the Vive and Oculus before and judging from that it seems they ported it to SteamVR/OpenVR.
I saw it with a lot of devs though. They say "We first focus on Oculus, then maybe port it to Vive."

http://www.allvrnews.com/home/2016/...dr1ft-officially-announces-oculus-only-launch

My guess is that Oculus gave them money and they signed contract similar to one that MS had for X1 indie devs where game had to be X1 exclusive first (if i remember correctly). Yes those games will come to Vive to but people don't want it 6 months after Vive release.

Grief.exe

Edmund Mcmillen initially believed Isaac would sell less than 100 copies due to the difficulty, vague mechanics, and subject matter.

2zfTo0a.png

Deadbolt (next game from the devs of Risk of Rain)
ADR1FT
Moon Hunters
Shardlight
Blood Alloy: Reborn
Alekhine's Gun

There's also The Division and Black Desert Online.

I don't have the time for either any more, so my decisionn is essentially made for me.

Durante

For someone who is completely stupid. What does palettized texture mean?
Back before we had ample memory, bandwidth and compute power, rather than images being stored as separate intensity components for e.g. red, green and blue, many formats used a palette which maps indices to RGB values. That way, you only need to store an index into that palette for each pixel of your image, rather than separate R, G and B values. Of course, this results in a limited number of useable colors -- e.g. with 4 bits per pixel it's 16 colors, with 8 it's 256.

Sch1sm

Just spent the weekend playing Hacknet, which I won from Sch1sm's giveaway.

By far my favourite hacking simulator I've played yet.

I've read the dev of Hacknet plans to implement multiplayer and an expansion, I look forward to going back into it once they add all those new stuff to it.

Glad you enjoyed it! Personally loved every second once I got into it. I remember the first time I failed to beat a trace. I felt shaken up in reality. The red screen and immediate shut down felt life ending. It was good at what it did, for sure. Best 6-7h I spent, I'd say.

I didn't realise the dev was planning to implement either of those. Huh. Will keep a look out. Maybe I'll see you when it's put in.
Actually, I don't think I have you as a Steam friend. Mine is my homepage here, so just click my name.

My guess is that Oculus gave them money and they signed contract similar to one that MS had for X1 indie devs where game had to be X1 exclusive first (if i remember correctly). Yes those games will come to Vive to but people don't want it 6 months after Vive release.

But at least Adam Orth said it isnt timed, so shouldnt it come to the Vive a at Vive release?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have some Steam keys for you. Choose wisely and good luck

I love mega giveaways that aren't free for alls because you really have to be strategic. Do you go for something smaller but less competitive, or for the big prize? But what if everyone avoids the big prize because they don't think they have a chance?

I love mega giveaways that aren't free for alls because you really have to be strategic. Do you go for something smaller but less competitive, or for the big prize? But what if everyone avoids the big prize because they don't think they have a chance?

I always aim for the skies myself. Go big or lose big

Which reminds me...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Awesomenauts -- MB-BAFC97DA4BB19CA9 - Taken by Purkake4
Curse Premium 30-day subscription -- MB-764EE3F02BE22EB9
Stronghold Kingdoms Humble Kingmaker Bundle -- MB-462B46F80468FADF - Taken by Vuze
Outlast -- MB-6FF2D9D283F01EE3 - Taken by du7y
WildStar Jumpstart Pack -- MB-081528EC1FBF1AD9 - Taken by Nzyme32
Grim Fandango -- MB-0817D8FC724F4BDD - Taken by Anteater
Retro City Rampage DX -- MB-A64E1041D11664AE - Taken by BorntoPlay
Heroes & Generals (Early Access) Weekend Warrior Pack -- MB-DD056A36CBFEF31B
Speedrunners -- MB-63F03A96113AB8DB - Taken by kagamin

Kuroyume

Banned
Edmund Mcmillen initially believed Isaac would sell less than 100 copies due to the difficulty, vague mechanics, and subject matter.

2zfTo0a.png

Probably my favorite games of this last decade. Has Edmund mentioned doing another dlc for Rebirth? I'm hoping he does a different game and then comes back with Isaac 2 a few years down the line.

Go big or go home. ARK being a small indie project, not even completed to boot (!) makes it a total no-go. No one should enter for that. Like for realz, guys.

>_>

<_<

Knurek

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

FFFFFUUUUUUUU...

Arab countries don't like lesbians, innit?
You can always get the DRM-free version from Mangagamer.
Sadly, no Steam key there, due to all the scammers.

Isn't it bad though? I mean, GPUs don't support that ever since... SM1 days? Might this be the cause for the performance issues people are having?
(Or are the current GPUs strong enough that they can brute force this?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom