• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I still use my Xbox 360 controller. *shrug* It tends to have the least compatibility issues of all games.

Honestly it's just easier than grabbing my Xbox One controller/DS4 controller and charging it up. Or finding where ever my Steam controller went.

Compatibility issues theoretically, should be a was since the XBO 360, and DS4* all use the same xinput standard.

*Assuming DS4Windows

Milamber

Milamber not buying Kindred Spirits, Nekopara or LiEat

Dissapointed.gif
Hang on there. I have been away, and in and out from consciousness from the hospital with spotty internet at best on a tablet with terrible battery life. How am I supposed to know that NekoPara Vol. 2 just came out?

Crap, maybe I shouldn't have bought that F4 Season pass.

Nordicus

Beat Shadow Warrior (2013)

...honestly, I prefer Hard Reset over this game. The swordplay doesn't quite carry the game (especially after I've played Killing Floor 2 and its melee is much more satisfying), the gun quality was kind of all over the place, and the only weapon you ever needed for the proper bossfights was the double SMG

"The Steam Controller has many admirers and it's a dream for tinkerers, but we prefer the more comfortable, plug and play alternatives."

Translates to:

"The Steam Controller has many admirers and it's a dream for tinkerers, but we prefer to treat PC like a console and ignore what it's best at."

Wait, people actually like the Steam controller? That thing looks just awful.

Anteater

"The Steam Controller has many admirers and it's a dream for tinkerers, but we prefer the more comfortable, plug and play alternatives."

Translates to:

"The Steam Controller has many admirers and it's a dream for tinkerers, but we prefer to treat PC like a console and ignore what it's best at."

it's cool but i'm too lazy and whatever

Beat Shadow Warrior (2013)

...honestly, I prefer Hard Reset over this game. The swordplay doesn't quite carry the game (especially after I've played Killing Floor 2 and its melee is much more satisfying), the gun quality was kind of all over the place, and the only weapon you ever needed for the proper bossfights was the double SMG

I really liked the game. It was goofy at times but the right kind of goofy in my mind.

I also liked the melee but then I can't compare it to Killing Floor 2, as I've never played it, so it could be better.

The guns could probably have been better but I was happy enough with the sword so I was able to forget about them for the most part.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

From what I've gleaned, the vast majority of people who've actually bothered to acclimate themselves with the controller feel that it isn't actually worse and ranges from a fine alternative to a much better one.

Edit: To be clear, I'm speaking specifically with regard to games played with a controller that were designed with controller support in mind. Games that were designed exclusively for the kb&m are obviously going to be much better on the kb&m (and some genres are naturally a better fit for the kb&m, such as the ol' first-person shooter), but this was precisely the catalyst for the development of the Steam Controller -- to make kb&m games playable to a degree for which the PlayStation and Xbox controllers are simply too ill-equipped.

How it looks is irrelevant. The Steam Controller is the probably the best controller ever thanks to its versatility. It isn't ideal for every single game ever but I'd be very surprised if there's another controller that outperforms it in the majority of games available.

Pachimari

So which games are coming out in March besides Hitman?

My haul for tomorrow already looks like this:
- Danganronpa
- Disgaea
- Stardew Valley
- That Dragon, Cancer
- SuperHOT

So which games are coming out in March besides Hitman?

My haul for tomorrow already looks like this:
- Danganronpa
- Disgaea
- Stardew Valley
- That Dragon, Cancer
- SuperHOT

FYdd4Vk.gif

SLAIN!

vermadas

Steam controller is amazing, and is everything I hoped it would be, minus some of the growing pains in the software.

It's hard though. I played through Fallout 4 with it and that was fine. But I've been playing PvZ:Garden Warfare 2 with it for the past week or so, and it's more difficult to be competitive. After so many years of KB+M proficiency and muscle memory playing FPS and 3PS, it will take a long time to close the gap with the trackpad+gyro. But the payoff in comfiness is sooo worth it.

I love mine. I got it to replace a wired 360 controller, which has been collecting dust ever since I got my hands on the SC. It even converted me into playing some FP games on a controller (games like Talos Principle, Subnautica, Slime Rancher, etc.), where previously I would always play those with a mouse / keyboard.

Pachimari

Oh yeah, how could I forget about Slain.

I'm thinking of changing my American address on Amazon to a resident address. Because I'm afraid it's a public address and thus they'll close down my account (I ordered Hitman at $15).

Nordicus

I really liked the game. It was goofy at times but the right kind of goofy in my mind.

I also liked the melee but then I can't compare it to Killing Floor 2, as I've never played it, so it could be better.

The guns could probably have been better but I was happy enough with the sword so I was able to forget about them for the most part.
I liked it too. Didn't love it, but definitely liked it.

KF2 melee has 3 things over Shadow Warrior's melee:

1) Weapon variety, and yes, katana is one of them. The best melee weapon is Pulverizer, which is a massive hammer with explosive charges that it uses during power attacks.
2) (actually working) deterministic strikes. Shadow Warrior has randomized slashes by default, and although there is an "advanced" melee mode where holding a directional button affects the type of swing you get, it doesn't actually work.
3) Blocking and parries. Imagine if with proper block timing, Lo Wang could have parried and thus staggered one of those big red dual-wielding minibosses, then hit with follow-up move for extra damage.

You should give KF2 a try some time. Keep fingers crossed for free weekends

From what I've gleaned, the vast majority of people who've actually bothered to acclimate themselves with the controller feel that it isn't actually worse and ranges from a fine alternative to a much better one.

Edit: To be clear, I'm speaking specifically with regard to games played with a controller that were designed with controller support in mind. Games that were designed exclusively for the kb&m are obviously going to be much better on the kb&m (and some genres are naturally a better fit for the kb&m, such as the ol' first-person shooter), but this was precisely the catalyst for the development of the Steam Controller -- to make kb&m games playable to a degree for which the PlayStation and Xbox controllers are simply too ill-equipped.

This right here is pretty much how I see it, games that were designed with kb&m in mind are probably better off played with a kb&m. No reason really to replace the 360 controller. Tried and true for the last decade and you don't have to force yourself to get acclimated.

Looks matter for a controller?

Haven't used mine that much, but it was pretty great to use with Civ V when I tested it. That it also works as a pretty good Windows Desktop controller is a great bonus, for people like me who has their PC connected to both TV and Monitor all the time.

I liked it too. Didn't love it, but definitely liked it.

KF2 melee has 3 things over Shadow Warrior's melee:

1) Weapon variety, and yes, katana is one of them. The best melee weapon is Pulverizer, which is a massive hammer with explosive charges that it uses during power attacks.
2) (actually working) deterministic strikes. Shadow Warrior has randomized slashes by default, and although there is an "advanced" melee mode where holding a directional button affects the type of swing you get, it doesn't actually work.
3) Blocking and parries. Imagine if with proper block timing, Lo Wang could have parried and thus staggered one of those big red dual-wielding minibosses, then hit with follow-up move for extra damage.

You should give KF2 a try some time. Keep fingers crossed for free weekends

When you put it like that Shadow Warrior's melee does seem a bit lacking, stop removing my rose tinted glasses :p

Just looked at Killing Floor 2 and I'm surprised to see that it is in early access, for some reason I assumed it was out and finished. I will probably put it on my wishlist and see if what kind of sale happens during the summer for it.

Looks matter for a controller?

Haven't used mine that much, but it was pretty great to use with Civ V when I tested it. That it also works as a pretty good Windows Desktop controller is a great bonus, for people like me who has their PC connected to both TV and Monitor all the time.

I'm not talking aesthetically here. Trackpads look gimmicky, the placement of the face buttons doesn't look right and it's proprietary to Steam.

I'm not writing it off, it could be a great controller and I would be willing to try it out if I could get my hands on one w/o dropping $50 on it. I just don't see it replacing my 360 controller.

Nzyme32

I'm not talking aesthetically here. Trackpads look gimmicky, the placement of the face buttons doesn't look right and it's proprietary to Steam.

I'm not writing it off, it could be a great controller and I would be willing to try it out if I could get my hands on one w/o dropping $50 on it. I just don't see it replacing my 360 controller.

The trackpads are the best thing about it. The controller has replaced my 360 controller, but I also use the Steam Controller for pretty much everything when at the TV. I love the thing, especially with the regular updates they have been putting out. Even using the left pad as dpad works brilliantly when you set it to what makes sense for the game

TheTrain

This right here is pretty much how I see it, games that were designed with kb&m in mind are probably better off played with a kb&m. No reason really to replace the 360 controller. Tried and true for the last decade and you don't have to force yourself to get acclimated.

No no, there is a legit reason, compatibility
I can plug in the Steam Controller and play everything without bother for custom driver and third party application. I've buyed one of these for this reason primarly, then for the godlike customization :p
It's a really good piece of hardware but I can understand who doesn't like it, it hasn't an easy approach like a classic pad

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If I had to guess, I'd say that what makes so many people instantly assume the Steam Controller's trackpad is terrible is that they see the word "trackpad" and instantly think of laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom