• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict

Remember that you get a lot of games with PS+, which makes the chart misleading.
8 years worth of PS+ games is a lot of games.

Anteater

Man I hate looking at those "look you could easily build a 700bucks computer and be awesome for the next 7 years" chart because I went over budget and ended up spending over 900bucks building mine. I hate my life.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The limited to 1000 tier isn't going to have an extra game, otherwise people would just buy the game rather than spend the extra for that tier (as I imagine it'll be a lot more expensive due to the limited-ness of it), it's more likely to be something along the lines of a physical object or exclusive access to something. Or maybe it'll be a limited to 1000 TF2 hat.

Arthea

I look at this image, and what I really read into it is that I can add +$1000 to that kind of mediocre mid-range rig and it would still be worth it.

I know that prices varies from region to region, I still can't wrap my head around how many people think that an average rig is much less than $1000. I mean, c'mon people, that can't be true, or my understanding of average is way off.

Man I hate looking at those "look you could easily build a 700bucks computer and be awesome for the next 7 years" chart because I went over budget and ended up spending over 900bucks building mine. I hate my life.

That's the problem I have with these kind of arguments. Really, please raise your hand if you had your rig for 7-8 years without spending a dollar, or euro, or pound.
Anybody?!

FloatOn

I know that prices varies from region to region, I still can't wrap my head around how many people think that an average rig is much less than $1000. I mean, c'mon people, that can't be true, or my understanding of average is way off.

I started from scratch 3 years ago and spent about $800. I'm still quite pleased with my performance.

Xanathus

The 1000 limited bundle isn't going to be worth buying for most people who only care about games, judging my Humble store's recent behavior. Best case scenario is that you get a bunch of new indie games that are currently high priced but will be heavily discounted in a month or two.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Lol fuck that, I spend 300-400$ minimum on hardware a year. I spent like 600$ last year on a couple small upgrades.

_hekk05

Banned
The 1000 limited bundle isn't going to be worth buying for most people who only care about games, judging my Humble store's recent behavior. Best case scenario is that you get a bunch of new indie games that are currently high priced but will be heavily discounted in a month or two.

Its not what game we get that matters. Its how cheaply we get them.

nexen

I would never be satisfied with a computer that those low-to-medium cost builds produce.

I *try* to surf the price point for components right before it becomes absurd. There is a definite wall of diminishing returns at that point and parts beyond it seem to be targeted at people for whom price is no obstacle.

I usually end up with a rig that, scratch built. would have cost between $1500 and $1800, at least for the last decade or so.

But, yeah, I never buy a full rig, just upgrade as I go. Well I did buy a full set in 2007, but I was upgrading from a potato.

edit: oh, and for very personal reasons, I did buy a top of the line gaming laptop about a year and a half ago. Thing is aces, but stupid expensive and I don't think I'd do it again. I really love it though.

edit 2: of course I also buy all the goddamned consoles too eventually, because I have issues.

Dr Dogg

These 'you could be x for y cost compared to z' comparisons never factor in any real world scenarios.

At the start of last gen I put together a pc at a cost of £800 and to service it and keep it current spent £140 on a psu and £200 on a new graphics card as well as about £80 on hard drives. So say £1,200 in total.

Where as I've gone through 3 PS3's at a cost of £440, £350 and £250 a piece. So that's £1,040 on hardware.

Now this isn't a pc of a similar spec to a PS3 but as much as my wallet could afford at the time. Sure I've had components fail but they generally have much greater or lifetime warranties and are only an RMA away from getting replaced.

All in all it's two completely different markets.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Just beat Aliens: Colonial Marines. Jeez, rip off Halo harder why don't you.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Yeah, I can't believe how they even copied the marine uniforms from Halo and the aliens are basically the Flood. Gearbox will always just be riding on Bungie's coattails.

I think there's a bit of Starcraft in there too. It's shameless, really.

nexen

What is really pissing me off about modern consoles is that I think they are going to be a dead end for game lifespan.

What I mean is that they have the unfortunate combination of short HW lifespan and an increasingly complicated OS that will make future emulation a real problem. I'm worried that exclusives for the platforms are going to be hard to play in the future, especially on my already legally owned copies.

I think I'm going to hold off from buying into new consoles as long as I can. I already have a giant box full of original Xbox games that are destined to be garbage once my kit dies and are a pain in the ass to go and play right now anyways.

Meanwhile, I still have *all* of my favorite games from as far back as the mid 80s installed on my laptop and ready to run at a moment's notice.

That is worth the added cost of PC gaming for me - if there actually is any.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, I can't believe how they even copied the marine uniforms from Halo and the aliens are basically the Flood. Gearbox will always just be riding on Bungie's coattails.

Hahahaha. Well they did do the pc port. Maybe it's all a conspiracy? Maybe A:CM is just a reskin of their Halo port?

I installed Radeon Pro earlier as I thought it was about time I did more than treat my pc like a console :/. Fired it up, looked at all the different configuration options, thought "nope lol I'll come back to this later when I have the time and enthusiasm to work my way through it all". However, I just fired up XCOM and I have a frame rate counter in the top left corner of the game :/. Looking at RP I can't see how to turn this off. halp pls

EDIT - herp derp just found the setting :/. Please ignore, thanks.

Just beat Aliens: Colonial Marines. Jeez, rip off Halo harder why don't you.

wat

Grief.exe

These 'you could be x for y cost compared to z' comparisons never factor in any real world scenarios.

At the start of last gen I put together a pc at a cost of £800 and to service it and keep it current spent £140 on a psu and £200 on a new graphics card as well as about £80 on hard drives. So say £1,200 in total.

Where as I've gone through 3 PS3's at a cost of £440, £350 and £250 a piece. So that's £1,040 on hardware.

Now this isn't a pc of a similar spec to a PS3 but as much as my wallet could afford at the time. Sure I've had components fail but they generally have much greater or lifetime warranties and are only an RMA away from getting replaced.

All in all it's two completely different markets.

Reading the 'how many consoles did you go through this gen' thread a couple months ago was insane.

People would rebuy console 3-5 times consistently.

What is really pissing me off about modern consoles is that I think they are going to be a dead end for game lifespan.
I'd worry about it only if you care about temp bullshit features anyways i.e. Dead Space and Bioshock multiplayer components.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Remember that you get a lot of games with PS+, which makes the chart misleading.
8 years worth of PS+ games is a lot of games.

Games which you can't pick on what are "free" and will stop being "free" once you stopped with PS+. Steam will still be there even in offline.

Hasney

Reading the 'how many consoles did you go through this gen' thread a couple months ago was insane.

Still on my launch core 360 and PS3.

PS3 is looking a bit shaky now though. Persona 5 might make me break down and get a new one.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'd worry about it only if you care about temp bullshit features anyways i.e. Dead Space and Bioshock multiplayer components.

People go through like 2-3 consoles during a lifespan, what is going to make thier last PS3 magically last another 10 years for when they want to play Uncharted 2 in 2024?

Momentary

Banned
According to Steam I've spent $3.42 per game I own and that's with over 800 games.

So that chart is a little misleading... since people want to bring PS+ into the equation.

Dr Dogg

A factor a lot of people seam to forget is that, say with a Xbox One, you're not buying $500 worth of electronics but about $300 worth and the rest on assembly fees, licenses, pattens and sometimes taxes ant that's not even taking in to account r&d costs or retailer percentage and distribution fees (though some BOM lists do go up and down unless you see what someone pays who knows exactly what sort of prices MS gets them at). If you're expecting that to last a long time with out some tlc and general maintenance you must be mad. Then again there's a great thread on here way back when involving a series of 360's and a 'wine cooler'.

For me replacing my PS3 so many times made sense as it is the only bluray player and the main streamer for the tv in the living room. Though when In Home Streaming rolls around it's going to be relegated to the bedroom.

According to Steam I've spent $3.42 per game I own and that's with over 800 games.

So that chart is a little misleading... since people want to bring PS+ into the equation.

Well it also doesn't take into account how prices fluctuate for console games at retail (especially here in the UK).

Sure, £30 and £40 is the norm for a PC and console game respectively, but games often crash in price here in a matter of weeks - it's definitely not as clear cut for either side as that chart makes out.

(not to mention all the other factors like trading in physical titles to subsidise future purchases like many do)

Both can be cheap and affordable.

_hekk05

Banned

That doesn't include anything you didn't buy from the steam store, right? So no bundles, no amazon, no gmg,gog etc, no retail, no gifts.

Highly inaccurate.

People go through like 2-3 consoles during a lifespan, what is going to make thier last PS3 magically last another 10 years for when they want to play Uncharted 2 in 2024?
A facet I was not taking into account for sure. I haven't had a TV for almost ten years now so consoles are pretty much out-of-sight-out-of-mind for me. I forgot about their failure rates, or I've chosen to ignore that part of my brain after losing a 360 to red lighting and switching to PC.

nexen

No, I'm talking about the console HW itself dying and then the only place I can pick one up is ebay.
They aren't going to be making any more of them and they will continue to die off.
I don't think emulation is going to save us like it did with the ps2/gc and prior hardware. The HW is much more complicated now, and now we see new speed gains mostly from parallelization, not raw throughput speeds. Plus there is the console OS stuck in there now.
In 20 years playing Gears of War 2 might be extraordinarily difficult.

fantomena

Fucking UPlay you piece of shit.

b4ab456828.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom