• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Jørdan;96150241 said:
Ooh, I like the flipcard thing they have going on.

I like the site design. It has some good and some bad bundles but even the bad bundles have at least 1 or 2 redeeming games and for those prices I cant complain much really.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
10:03 PM - Stallion Free: YO IT FUCKING SOLD
10:03 PM - Stallion Free: SOMEONE PAID 50$

Now give it all back to Gaben. The circle of Steam.

I am so okay with this:

okqkkym.jpg

mrgone

So apparently they have "regretted the whole thing" in the exact same way for the past two years now too?

I dunno, I just saw all the featured EA deals in the list at full or nearly full price and figured they were trying to tell me that I didn't have to go home but I couldn't stay here

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jørdan;96150742 said:
Looks smooth though great work, more than happy with Enhanced Steam browser plugin :)

As you should be! :) Right now Chrome is still the reigning champion of ES features. But I'm working on porting more and more to the standalone client for those that prefer the Steam client for whatever reason.

• I didn't care for the "storytelling". The game has no dialogue, no text, no narration. It relies on "gibberish" (maybe it's a language, but the repetition of the "words" makes it seem unlikely) and animation in places, but I found these very limiting. Combined with somewhat predictable and cliche content. Especially at the end which I will not talk about unless further prompted due to heavy spoilers.
  • I found the controls to be more of an annoyance/gimmick/limitation than an enhancement/innovation. There's also some really odd design decisions on some of the puzzles/areas that I just felt were completely out of left field.
  • Any challenge in terms of puzzles came mostly from the controls rather than design, as outlined above.
  • It's extremely short and light on content, which turned out to be a blessing as I just wanted the game to end so I could delete it and move on.

The game has a few cool moments, but I was ultimately bored and did not find myself playing for fun or because it was engaging... I was merely playing to finish what I started and clear it out of my backlog. It runs under 3 hours long even if you do go for all of the side activities required for achievements.

Overall, it's important to note that I am one of those gamers who cares about the core gameplay above all else. If the story is worth telling or interesting/captivating in some way, I can overlook flaws in the gameplay to experience it and enjoy the ride. I'm not one for "games" that are an 'experience". Sometimes I think they're amusing or clever or provide something new and interesting; For example, I have some positive views regarding The Stanley Parable and the commentary it provides on some of the trends in gaming as well as experimentation. It's clever and funny in spots, even if I still hold a grudge against the narrator for that stupid achievement regarding clicking on a door several times. In the end, I felt like Brothers offered nothing to me outside of it's interesting experiment with the controls and how it uses the dual analogs. There were a couple of cool design touches that I felt were really cool even if it was sort of... predictable (one brother picks up a cat and pets it and it's happy while the other picks it up and it squirms and tries to scratch him, etc.).

I suppose you could spend $3 on worse. But you won't know until you play it, I suppose. Personally, I'd rather put that $3 toward something on my wishlist I might enjoy more.

Thanks for this insight! Apparently the game is coming to PlayStation+ this month so I won't have to spend those $3. We'll see how it goes :)

Congrats to VikasNarula, SourCinnamon and Myshkin. Enjoy the games :3

Thank you Gravelord!

cicero

I still cannot seem to purchase the Deus Ex HR Director's Cut for 5.00, even though I have HR and the Missing Link in my Steam Library. Every time I try to add it, it comes up as 19.99. Is that deal just done now?

They pulled the deal and the former reference to it from Steam's store page for the game, even though they still advertise the deal on their own site. Really a classy/lazy bs move on their part.

Nabs

You guys better play the Joe Danger games when you get 'em soon. They are actually pretty damn fun.

tjohn86

That standalone ES install is cool but you might want to include an uninstall guide for people who don't understand what a hosts file does or how to clean it up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You guys better play the Joe Danger games when you get 'em soon. They are actually pretty damn fun.

Wishful thinking or confirmed? Because I would love to get them in the bundle

Haunted

Once you get a successful confirmation (it will say "Enhanced!") you can close the launcher. For now, you'll need to run it each time you restart. Just the launcher though, not the batch file.
Sounds good. Says Not Enhanced (entries not present), but it's working fine.

Thanks! :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I got stuck in the 5th mission of Remember Me. I feel so stupid :(
Welp, I finally got past that part. Turns out it was a game error: the area failed to load properly, which meant a scripted event (a fight in this case) didn't load, and the game didn't put some objects in the level (like a gate you have to raise, or a collectible). But the real problem was that a trapdoor I had to enter was closed, so there was no way to advance.

Luckily I decided to restart the mission (instead of the checkpoint) before giving up and checking a guide, so I managed to beat it on my own once all these events worked properly. Now I feel a bit proud of myself (feel free to laugh, I don't care
much
).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That standalone ES install is cool but you might want to include an uninstall guide for people who don't understand what a hosts file does or how to clean it up.

I'm going to building a proper "Installer" soon that will include the ability to remove it via the control panel like most apps. For now, if you want to remove it you can run "disable.bat" as an administrator.

mrgone

Lol like anyone plays games from Humble Bundles.

The incentive to play a game scales perfectly with purchase price.

I was going to protest, but I now that I think about it I can't recall having played any of the humble bundle games at all that I hadn't purchased before the bundle. Frightfully accurate

wilflare

Ahh.. hmm, did you try it without the wrapper? I had to bind all the buttons manually with the dinput controller too, but you'd probably have to do that anyways with the different button layout on the Neo Geo pad

hmm. for neogeo, I got to remap. so it works in that regard.
but remapping it means my Xbox 360 Controller (a DS3 controller actually) no longer works on default... so I have to keep remapping every time I switch between the two

cicero

I dunno, I just saw all the featured EA deals in the list at full or nearly full price and figured they were trying to tell me that I didn't have to go home but I couldn't stay here

As has been said here numerous times before, this is how Amazon does things for this now yearly sale. They change the prices of the games back from the low Holiday sale prices to full retail in preparation for the January Editor's Choice sales, they add and remove games from the list, they hold separate sales on a changing selection of specific titles over the month. The sale is evolving because Tony is still dealing with publishers trying to put good deals together, as he has for the past two years. All the people complaining about Amazon/EA might try acknowledging the simple fact that the publishers are the ones who choose to go, or not go, with the large discounts or promotions usually promoted by Tony to them. If EA is more willing to be more involved with this promotion, why wouldn't more of their games be on sale during this promotion?

Start reading the CAG thread and you will notice just how often Tony comments about a deal he is thinking about, usually based to some degree on user comments and suggestions, that he plans on pitching to a publisher.

tjohn86

I'm going to building a proper "Installer" soon that will include the ability to remove it via the control panel like most apps. For now, if you want to remove it you can run "disable.bat" as an administrator.

I didn't notice the disable script! That is totally sufficient. The proxy solution is pretty genius, keep up the good work.

mrgone

hmm. for neogeo, I got to remap. so it works in that regard.
but remapping it means my Xbox 360 Controller (a DS3 controller actually) no longer works on default... so I have to keep remapping every time I switch between the two

Oh! Snap, always fun getting multiple controllers to play nicely. Something like joy2key or xpadder would be able to brute-force around that for RoR, but it's still a pain :(

As has been said here numerous times before, this is how Amazon does things for this now yearly sale. They change the prices of the games back from the low Holiday sale prices to full retail in preparation for the January Editor's Choice sales, they add and remove games from the list, they hold separate sales on a changing selection of specific titles over the month. The sale is evolving because Tony is still dealing with publishers trying to put good deals together, as he has for the past two years. All the people complaining about Amazon/EA might try acknowledging the simple fact that the publishers are the ones who choose to go, or not go, with the large discounts or promotions usually promoted by Tony to them. If EA is more willing to be more involved with this promotion, why wouldn't more of their games be on sale during this promotion?

Start reading the CAG thread and you will notice just how often Tony comments about a deal he is thinking about, usually based to some degree on user comments and suggestions, that he plans on pitching to a publisher.

Okay, I'll keep my snarky comments to myself and apologize for poking fun at these things (sorry!)

For anyone interested, I just updated Enhanced Steam Standalone.

The newest version has a much easier install process:

1. Download Enhanced Steam Standalone
  2. Run enable.bat (as administrator)
  3. Launch Enhanced Steam.exe
  4. Browse Steam

Any reason to upgrade? Bugfixes and all that? Or new features now working?

Just skimmed the last couple pages and saw 3 comments about Swapper. Yall fucked up not making it GOTY.

It's solid, but it's not *that* good, at least not as far as I've played into it. Maybe I'll think better of it when I have my controller configured to play it.

Now that's easy enough even I can do it.

Does the Enhanced Steam.exe process need to be running while I'm using it or is it a one-time activation thing?

You need the process running -- it's sort of like a secret agent -- I think it intercepts some transmissions and alters them for you before it gets sent or returned... :)

Any reason why DLC achievements are shown even when you don't actually own the DLC?

That's the way it works everywhere, I think?
They're patched into the core game, so they're there. They're just behind a pay wall.

Thanks for this insight! Apparently the game is coming to PlayStation+ this month so I won't have to spend those $3. We'll see how it goes :)

In most cases, I advocate for spending the money if I feel a game is worth it... but I would definitely advise people with PS+ to check it out there before spending money on it.

Wait, you can enter for each as long as you do separate PMs? I thought you get disqualified.

Depends. If it's a giveaway that has the FREEFORALL tag, then you can enter for every key if you like.

Sounds good. Says Not Enhanced (entries not present), but it's working fine.

Thanks! :)

Sounds like that bug with it not picking up the hosts file being correct is still there, jshackles.

the story is the important part so you missed the point.

No. I really didn't. I'll agree to disagree with you there, because what little "story" there is was just cliche, boring, and predictable. It's one of those cases where I'd make a play for the important part being the journey not the destination (like the Mass Effect games), but that wasn't particuarly enjoyable for me either.

komorebi

They pulled the deal and the former reference to it from Steam's store page for the game, even though they still advertise the deal on their own site. Really a classy/lazy bs move on their part.

This is bullshit. I couldn't buy it for $5 during the sales, and now its gone for good? I was really looking forward to the director's cut but all the bugs and negative reviews had me on the fence. I was away from PC gaming (no proper GPU) when it originally launched and now I regret not buying it when I had the chance.

Artofwar420

This is bullshit. I couldn't buy it for $5 during the sales, and now its gone for good? I was really looking forward to the director's cut but all the bugs and negative reviews had me on the fence. I was away from PC gaming (no proper GPU) when it originally launched and now I regret not buying it when I had the chance.

Wait, you mean Director's Cut? I see the game, or you mean the deal for the game?

Tizoc

Will grab CiM1 off Bundlestars later today.
Kingdom Rush looks like its Tower defense, convince me to get it other than Salsa, who happens to be the only person on my friendlist who owns the game =V

Wait, you mean Director's Cut? I see the game, or you mean the deal for the game?

He means the promo (which I took advantage of once upon a time when the game released) where the Director's Cut was only $10 if you owned the base game and only $5 if you owned both base game and Missing Link DLC.

During the last Seal, they did the deal for everyone @ $5, regardless of what you owned.
Now that the Seal has left us, it seems that the promo has left Steam.

Question from the audience at a Valve CES presentation: Microsoft just announced 3 million units of xbox one were sold at launch for the last three months, can you hit that target by the end of the year? Can you do 3 million units?

Newell: Well, it'd take a while for them to catch up. I mean, we're at 65 million.

(Huge laugh from the crowd)

Part of why we think that this is the right direction to go in is that we can benefit from everything that people have already done. If I buy a game on Steam and am running it on Windows, I can go to one of the Steam Machines and I already have the game. So the benefit as a developer, you benefit as a consumer, having that PC experience extended into the living room.

Does this mean that a steam machine can run a purchased game from SteamOS or would the steam box need Windows first?

Exuro

Does this mean that a steam machine can run a purchased game from SteamOS or would the steam box need Windows first?
I think he's referring to the streaming feature where you'd have your PC in x room with windows and then your SteamOS box in the living room streaming windows games from it.

Once you own a game on Steam, you can play it anywhere you're logged into Steam... so even if it's not the streaming mentioned in the post above mine, it would still work. Buy it on your PC, play it on your SteamBox, I think is the gist.

The real question this raises, I guess, and maybe you were asking this...
Can SteamOS run ANY Steam game?

I wonder if it uses some sort of VM within the linux base to emulate a windows client for those games not supported on Linux...

Artofwar420

He means the promo (which I took advantage of once upon a time when the game released) where the Director's Cut was only $10 if you owned the base game and only $5 if you owned both base game and Missing Link DLC.

During the last Seal, they did the deal for everyone @ $5, regardless of what you owned.
Now that the Seal has left us, it seems that the promo has left Steam.

Hope that's a mistake.

jshackles

Any reason to upgrade? Bugfixes and all that? Or new features now working?

There have been a few new features added, such as DLC checkboxes.

Another feature I'm working on building into the launcher is detecting if there is a newer version and giving you the option of installing it.

Thanks for the generous giveaway!

tumblr_myj46xCsEk1t9pah5o2_250.gif

tumblr_myj46xCsEk1t9pah5o1_250.gif

tumblr_mjwzosONw31rwme49o1_500.gif

Go ninja, go ninja, go!

There have been a few new features added, such as DLC checkboxes.

Another feature I'm working on building into the launcher is detecting if there is a newer version and giving you the option of installing it.

The card inventory market checks didn't seem to be working for me -- are those supposed to work in the standalone yet?
It was kind of slow for me -- any way to speed it up?

jshackles

The card inventory market checks didn't seem to be working for me -- are those supposed to work in the standalone yet?
It was kind of slow for me -- any way to speed it up?

The inventory / market stuff isn't there (yet) but it's on the list of functions to port.

As for speeding it up, I'm afraid that the Steam client is still the Steam client, even if it's Enhanced.

The inventory / market stuff isn't there (yet) but it's on the list of functions to port.

As for speeding it up, I'm afraid that the Steam client is still the Steam client, even if it's Enhanced.

Hahaha, ok, understood. I just meant how slow the ES stuff loads as opposed to how long it takes in my browser. But if it's the stupid Steam browser's fault, so be it.

Good work, as always, ser.

I just finish Guacamelee, awesome game and I got the
happy
ending. On a side note,
don't collect all the mask orbs before you defeat calaca, It really ruins the last stage platforming sections.

You don't have to use the flight ability if you don't want to. :p

AsylumX

I just finish Guacamelee, awesome game and I got the
happy
ending. On a side note,
don't collect all the mask orbs before you defeat calaca, It really ruins the last stage platforming sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom