• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JaseC, say something if youre ok

Also, dat rising giveaway, damn son

Haha, I read about that days ago but didn't say anything because the Razzies are a parody event. ;) She's just been caught in the crossfire between almost incomparably awful reviews and a genuinely poor end product, and on that note the film truly does deserve to win in every other category its up for. As others have said, however, it'd be nice if she did show up to accept the award should she win -- it's all a bit of fun in the end.

(I don't think her performance in The Host is particularly good -- there's only so much you can do when literally every other facet of the project is against you -- but it's hardly the worst of the year.)

1vEwVPf.gif

In b4 JaseC's meltdown.

The Razzies I can laugh off but I'm never going to forgive the Academy for passing on her performance in The Lovely Bones. :p She actually would have been the youngest person in history to have two Oscar nominations to their name.

I got it for free from GMG some time ago.

No.

Nope, not even for that price.

Oh come on.

I'll disagree with you guys -- I played it on 360 way back and once you look past some of it's flaws, it can be fun. I don't particularly remember much, other than it had too many QTEs and the last stage was annoying, but it was an amusing NG knockoff to me.

If you're itching for an action game you don't own, you could probably waste $1.50 on worse (if you don't like it).

I got it for free from GMG some time ago.

No.

Nope, not even for that price.
Yikes. Okay, thanks guys. No middle ground opinions on From games, eh?

Oh come on.

I'll disagree with you guys -- I played it on 360 way back and once you look past some of it's flaws, it can be fun. I don't particularly remember much, other than it had too many QTEs and the last stage was annoying, but it was an amusing NG knockoff to me.

If you're itching for an action game you don't own, you could probably waste $1.50 on worse (if you don't like it).
It was a combination of things. Being made by From is generally a good sign, seemingly being a ninja action game, and only being 1.50 are all nice things on paper. I'll probably just save the money for a humble bundle or something instead.

MRORANGE

From the vita thread:

All right everyone, with the new year in progress, your thread is getting an upgrade as part of our platform thread revamp.

Yes, an upgrade.

So basically, we've refactored the threads the combine the downloads/service focused threads since based on the vendor since they share the same backbone networks, and (especially in the case of PlayStation) sometimes feature crossplay.

Basically:
-Steam covers most of PC/Mac/Linux
-iOS covers iPad/iPhone/iPod
-Nintendo downloads covers 3DS/Wii U
-If they ever actually put it up, Xbox Downloads will cover 360 and Xbox One
-And as such, we'd like to make these threads cover Vita *and* PS3/PS4

Ideally what we'd like from you is to keep the same format, but add in PS3 and PS4 games to the OP as well. Ideally note things that are crossplay or on multiple PlayStation platforms as well, which tends to be a rather large number of games these days.

This should also help out in any dry spell months for any given platform.

It would be great if you could update the OP of this thread itself, and then I'll update the title to reflect the new more expansive topic domain.

Trying no to misinterpret this but I'm assuming we can still have GMG and GOG and other steam threads as we have done so far.

This also means we probably won't get chucked into community.

Uraizen

Banned
Oh come on.

I'm somebody who enjoyed DNF and am having fun with Deadpool. When I say something isn't worth the money, it's usually a really bad sign for the game.

I always found it funny how some people were calling From dev of the generation. I mean sure, they made Demon / Dark Souls. They also made fucking Steel Batallion. :p
Hey, I liked Steel Battalion. Unless you mean that Kinect one. In that case, I agree with you. What's worse was that one mech game they made back on the Xbox, I can't remember the name though. You were like this cop mech that chased down others I think? That was terrible. Gotta balance out the hits with total poop, I suppose.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yikes. Okay, thanks guys. No middle ground opinions on From games, eh?
]t has nothing to do with who made it and everything to do with whether it is worth bothering to play.

I'll probably just save the money for a humble bundle or something instead.
The next HB is supposed to be good, but the current HB weekly is also a better time if you enjoy solving puzzles.

denx

Hey, I liked Steel Battalion. Unless you mean that Kinect one. In that case, I agree with you. What's worse was that one mech game they made back on the Xbox, I can't remember the name though. You were like this cop mech that chased down others I think? That was terrible. Gotta balance out the hits with total poop, I suppose.

Yeah, I mean the Kinect game.

Also, I think this is the game you are talking about.

But yeah, From is such a hit and miss company that people calling them dev of the generation is somewhat bewildering.

I think he's referring to the streaming feature where you'd have your PC in x room with windows and then your SteamOS box in the living room streaming windows games from it.

For anyone interested, I just updated Enhanced Steam Standalone.

The newest version has a much easier install process:

1. Download Enhanced Steam Standalone
  2. Run enable.bat (as administrator)
  3. Launch Enhanced Steam.exe
  4. Browse Steam

Dude, somehow my steam browser stopped working after using this even after closing ES. Cant access profile/store/market .. any help to revert the changes?

Error Code: -102

Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet.

I'm somebody who enjoyed DNF and am having fun with Deadpool. When I say something isn't worth the money, it's usually a really bad sign for the game.

Hey, I enjoyed DNF too and Deadpool looks like it will be fun when I get around to it.
I know if I managed to play it to almost 100% completion on 360 it couldn't have been THAT bad of a game. :p

Though YT footage of the PC version makes it look a lot jankier than I remember.

Usually, even if a game is kind of bad, if it's <$5, I'll give it a chance.

Dude, somehow my steam browser stopped working after using this even after closing ES. Cant access profile/store/market .. any help to revert the changes?

Did you run disable.bat?

]t has nothing to do with who made it and everything to do with whether it is worth bothering to play.
It's that they seem to be so flip-floppy with their game quality more than anything. But I see what you're saying.
The next HB is supposed to be good, but the current HB weekly is also a better time if you enjoy solving puzzles.
I might get it for Machinarium alone, and check out the rest in due time.
:O That is totally it. Man, I'm almost tempted to pick up another copy. Almost. It might even be more bearable than struggling through Magatama was (Which was fun, but... hard as heck)
Get me a key and I'll test it for you. Jk
Be careful what you wish for. That gift to Gravelord_Nito button just may be your undoing... :p

But yeah, it doesn't activate on Steam.

Oh yeah! disable.bat.. silly me! Thanks its fixed ..

Without looking at the new version, my guess is that enable.bat changes the hosts file to add the redirection of store.steampowered.com to localhost 172.0.0.200. If this is true, then while that hosts file is active, if the ES program isn't running, your basically telling your computer to check your computer for the steam information. :)

So yeah, you'd have to disable it so the host entries are disabled. :D

Gamerloid

Trying no to misinterpret this but I'm assuming we can still have GMG and GOG and other steam threads as we have done so far.

Getting thrown into community would suck lol. It's nice to know we'll stay on the gaming side now.

cicero

This is bullshit. I couldn't buy it for $5 during the sales, and now its gone for good? I was really looking forward to the director's cut but all the bugs and negative reviews had me on the fence. I was away from PC gaming (no proper GPU) when it originally launched and now I regret not buying it when I had the chance.

Someone in one of the discussion threads sent off a message to Steam Support about it and supposedly got this reply:

Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We apologize for the delay.

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue.

We are aware of the problem and are investigating the issue further.

Perhaps it will eventually be resolved in our favor...

From the vita thread:

You must've missed the post that said otherwise. Let me go find it.

Edit:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96123217&postcount=1320

It's not explicit, but when Skyzard asks if all PC gaming threads should be combined, Nirolak indicates they already kind of are, so it's okay.
I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the same thing with this thread and forced any Origin/Uplay/Amazon/GMG/etc. talk into here.
Dunno if that's a reasonable assumption or not, but that's what I got out of the response.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From the vita thread:

Assume the Steam thread is going exactly as it is.

It's just 90% of the type of discussion that goes on in those threads that is mirrored for the PC shows up here so I gave it as an example.

Like the basic vision is if DmC is on $5 sale and someone asks "Is this good?", you guys have dropped a few posts saying if you thought yes or no.

On the other hand, once people buy the game if they want to talk at length they go to the DmC thread or start an LTTP thread.

We want all the platforms like this to be springboards instead of all encompassing megathreads like platform specific threads that are forums inside forums.

When we have the Vita or Xbox One megathreads that doesn't always happen. If it's a broader scope thread people feel the thread is faster and self regulate discussion breakout better.

cicero

GMG has Ninja Blade for $1.50 with that 25% off voucher. Would anyone say it's worth playing?

Oh come on.

Capsule Client : This title requires Capsule to play.
I wouldn't buy it without Steam activation.

I bet a lot of people are going to be pissed if Gone Home is in the new humble bundle after it was on sale last week.

if you get pissed about that then the only person to blame is yourself really

I don't know what's going to be in the bundle but the way they're(humble) hyping is probably gonna lead to a massive disappointment tomorrow although i'd like to be wrong about that

Jawmuncher

I summoned for Nirolak so we don't have any confusion.

EDIT: well that was fast lol

I imagined a FF style summon spell when I read this.
As for the thread upgrades it all makes sense to me. We already kind of encompass all of PC gaming in here especially sale wise. Feel sorry for the mac gamers though.....all 2 of them here on GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom