• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Its ok. For ~$7.50, its a good price for an average third person stealth game. The reviews were positive and there isn't anything really wrong or broken with the game. It doesn't feel like Thief 1 or 2. It doesn't have that sand box feel that those game have. Its not even as open as Dishonored. So fans were disappointed and it didn't have any appeal to the mass audience. Still a good game, worth the sale price.

Thi4f is $2 on nuuvem, just so you guys know!

Its ok. For ~$7.50, its a good price for an average third person stealth game. The reviews were positive and there isn't anything really wrong or broken with the game. It doesn't feel like Thief 1 or 2. It doesn't have that sand box feel that those game have. Its not even as open as Dishonored. So fans were disappointed and it didn't have any appeal to the mass audience. Still a good game, worth the sale price.

There will always be something better to spend that money on, be it on sale or not.

Y'all need to stop trying to trick people into buying mediocre games in this day and age.

Grief.exe

The Telltale Game of Thrones game is $30, so King's Quest is only $10 more. Each episode of GoT takes about 2 hours, so you're looking at a 12 hour experience. Each chapter of King's Quest should be easily 5+ hours, so you're looking at a 25 hour experience. You're essentially getting a game the length of The Walking Dead Season 1 and 2 combined, for less than the combined cost of those two games.

I'm not saying that the higher price point isn't hurting them, I'm just saying I think it's fair of them to want to charge more and that brand recognition is also hurting them. That being said, Game of Thrones is (obviously) a hotter franchise than King's Quest and most people who are unfamiliar with the specifics of either game will probably choose Game of Thrones every time for the brand recognition and lower price.

Seems logical to me. I guess we should point people towards your post if someone questions the business model.

Another down side to the Telltale games is their engine. Apparently the games perform terribly on consoles, are consistently buggy, and have hit or miss textures.

The general consensus on Thi4f is no, right? Who's actually played it here?
As a new game in the lineage of the granddaddy of first person stealth game, it's so bad it would have been disowned by the games that came before it, even the third one. And don't go putting the onus on the PC version, the PS3 version was just as shit (I tried it when it was PS+ to see if you "durr, use a controllar!" crowd were right. You're not.) and had the same sound bugs, etc.

The stealth is appallingly bad, the story is a bad frankenstein of 4 different plots, none of them resolved, the level design is split up into sections with no way of going back to previous sections, it's full of bullshit action movie "cinematic" sequences (in a stealth game? Really? Really?), the button-mashing loading screen coverups are way too frequent, the traversal is no fun at all.

The only "good" parts are the music and the general aesthetic, I guess.

Sounds like that would be a no then, however I haven't wasted my time with the game personally so I don't have any experience.

Have you played all of the stealth games available on Steam? Deus Ex, Thief I/II, Chaos Theory, Alpha Protocol,
Legacy Collection
, and I'm probably missing some great ones.

Turfster

Have you played all of the stealth games available on Steam?
Yes.

Seriously, Thi4f is bad.
Hell, it makes 3 look like a masterpiece in comparison. Not that it was horrible, but it was a disappointment on launch when it was consoleised and cut up into stupid little XBOX has no memory lololol parts... which is less of a problem now with the Gold mod anyway.

So yeah, if you're considering getting Thi4f, get the trilogy instead and play that.

Karak

Will post my Submerged video review once embargo is passed. Interesting title.

The Telltale Game of Thrones game is $30, so King's Quest is only $10 more. Each episode of GoT takes about 2 hours, so you're looking at a 12 hour experience. Each chapter of King's Quest should be easily 5+ hours, so you're looking at a 25 hour experience. You're essentially getting a game the length of The Walking Dead Season 1 and 2 combined, for less than the combined cost of those two games.

I'm not saying that the higher price point isn't hurting them, I'm just saying I think it's fair of them to want to charge more and that brand recognition is also hurting them. That being said, Game of Thrones is (obviously) a hotter franchise than King's Quest and most people who are unfamiliar with the specifics of either game will probably choose Game of Thrones every time for the brand recognition and lower price.

Yep exactly. I broke it down somewhat the same in the video review and have a lot of discussion around just that in particular. Its a completely justified price and in today's market well worth it. Perfectly priced really.
Doesn't hurt that KQ rights the boat back into gameplay and actually you know...runs ok on most systems and consoles.

Kuroyume

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

SpeedRunners -- MB-5CB8EEF32C4A075D - Taken by Darth Kupi. 2 entrants total.

t1438454145z1.png

tumblr_nm6xvsvLMi1rhkqz2o1_400.gif

Red Hood

Banned
Let's do this! I've finished Thief Gold yesterday and I'm going to start Thief II in the coming days. The general consensus is it's better in pretty much every aspect, right?

Shadownet

Banned
No, no it wasn't. Yes the writing was good but it wasn't more than a shallow imitation of the comic with no game play and Telltale's crippled engine.

Almost everything is worst than the original material it's based on, that's no surprise. Saying that it has no game play is a hyperbole at best. Also, I finished the game in 3 days, 100% it and didn't encounter a bug or anything.

Cheddahz

Banned
No, no it wasn't. Yes the writing was good but it wasn't more than a shallow imitation of the comic with no game play and Telltale's crippled engine.

If you're going into a Telltale game expecting gameplay, then that's your fault

That being said, The Wolf Among Us is the only Telltale game besides The Walking Dead Season 1 I'll recommend to anyone

Not a massive fan of Telltale's modern games(The Sam and Max revival was amazing though) but they run well on PC at least. Pretty sure I played through Wolf and Walking Dead at 4K, 60 with no memorable issues.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
Not a massive fan of Telltale's modern games(The Sam and Max revival was amazing though) but they run well on PC at least. Pretty sure I played through Wolf and Walking Dead at 4K, 60 with no memorable issues.

Wolf is the first Telltale game that I've played on PC and I'd agree it was so much smoother compared to the console Telltale games I've played (Borderlands & GoT).

I enjoyed playing Wolf. The Borderlands game is probably still my favorite. I have not played any Walking Dead games yet.

He quit, remember?
Legitimately quit.
I'm paraphrasing here, but "Not like all those other people who announce their departure only to come back 3 hours later."

He said 10 hours. :p

But he did post again, a day later, i think, only to stop posting again after someone joked at him.

He keeps insisting about this poll and that no one wants to see him post. I've never seen a link for the poll though, or I must've missed it.

He said 10 hours. :p

But he did post again, a day later, i think, only to stop posting again after someone joked at him.

He keeps insisting about this poll and that no one wants to see him post. I've never seen a link for the poll though, or I must've missed it.

That'd be me.
Not sure about this poll though, as I have never seen it myself.

I bought Sky Rogue ages ago on some site for like a dollar or something, how do I get my steam key?

If it's indiegamestand, which is where mine was from, go to IGS and look in your game wallet. Find the game and click the request steam key button.

I'm not saying that the higher price point isn't hurting them, I'm just saying I think it's fair of them to want to charge more and that brand recognition is also hurting them.

The fact they're still using an old engine and their lack of support on broken saves is also hurting them. I should not have to be transferring files between directories to get my games working in 2014, and I sure as hell shouldn't have to in 2015 when the same problem inevitably arises.

zkylon

zkylewd
Gross.
Weirdo.
That's the worst kind of speedrunning. :p

i like it cos it exposes how the game is built which is like something i'm interested in

much more exciting to me to see the logic behind those glitches than someone performing incredible feats of skill like it's a performance or something

cool, i've watched a few dark souls 2 glitched runs but i think they were on older patches, so maybe something new on this one

BasilZero

Sega said that ports were coming, lets see how everyone will react if it is a sonic boom port to PC.

I wouldnt mind it...or 2006 Sonic l0l

Although I would love to play Sonic Heroes. Considering it already came out on PC - porting it should not be hard...

No thanks. Please bring back Megaman.

Wat. Thats capcom though :/ - and Mega Man Collection is coming out later this month.

i like it cos it exposes how the game is built which is like something i'm interested in

much more exciting to me to see the logic behind those glitches than someone performing incredible feats of skill like it's a performance or something

cool, i've watched a few dark souls 2 glitched runs but i think they were on older patches, so maybe something new on this one

Maybe the TASbot runs that are up now would be interesting to you then?

Not exactly game logic glitches, but there's a lot of interesting stuff about frame data and manipulation (and the guys says there are glitches coming).

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Sega said that ports were coming, lets see how everyone will react if it is a sonic boom port to PC.

We at Sega are proud to announce the brand new Sonic All-Star Collection™, featuring fan favorites such as

Coming Winter 2015 for $49.99, please be excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom