• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
FSdHjXm.png

Welcome to the August 2015 NeoGAF Steam thread! Where the hottest new OS isn't SteamOS :(
ogGlkLY.jpg

z3sDvdG.png

Armikrog - Dog Problems
Armikrog is a claymation point-and-click adventure that is a spiritual sequel to The Neverhood which released back in 1996. Doug TenNapel (creator of Earthworm Jim) and many of the original developers of The Neverhood are back together making this game. Terry Scott Taylor, who did the soundtrack for The Neverhood, is returning to compose the soundtrack for this game. It also features voice actors such as Michael J. Nelson (Mystery Science Theater 3000) and Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite). It had a successful Kickstarter campaign in 2013.

The story revolves around the main character, Tommynaut, and his blind talking dog, Beak-beak as they try to escape a fortress that is holding them captive.

IrLh99G.png

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - jshackles
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a port of the PS4/XB1 game released in March, which itself was a port of a PSP game released in Japan in 2011. This Final Fantasy spin-off takes place in the fictional world of Orience, during global war that's taking place between four factions: the Dominion of Rubrum, the Militesi Empire, the Lorican Alliance, and the Kingdom of Concordia. Amidst all of this, you (the player) take on the role of "Class Zero" - a group of top students from Akademeia, the capital of the Dominion of Rubrum. These 14 cadets are mostly named after playing cards - Ace, Duece, Seven, Jack, King, and so on.

As for the game play itself, this is an action-RPG rather than the traditional Final Fantasy turn-based games we're used to. All 14 cadets are playable from the very beginning, and it's up to you to choose which ones you'll take on missions and level up. Each party member has their own weapon with unique play style - everything from swords, bare hands, guns, and even magic playing cards. The game progresses linearly by taking on missions, then chilling out at the school listening to lectures from Moogles or raising Chocobos or doing side content until it's time for the next mission. The story plays out over the course of several Ken Burns-inspired faux-wartime footage videos. The game is a bit more dark and gritty than other entries in the series, and has even been called "Final Fantasy for adults".

Personally I found the game to be pretty lackluster in it's execution, but hopefully with the PC release we'll see texture mods and fixes to make this the best version of the game yet. It's currently available for $26.99 and includes some pre-purchase exclusive DOTA2 items. Sadly, a demo for Final Fantasy XV on PC is not included.

RGRG87U.png

Close Your Eyes - Dusk Golem
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. How y'all doing? The name of the game is Close Your Eyes, a free-to-play surrealistic horror game made in RPG Maker by yours truly. The game was originally made for Ludum Dare 29 in two days during April, 2014. The game was reworked into a 'Redux' version of itself in a few days a year later in April, 2015. This version of the game received surprising positive response, and prompted me to try and experiment and post it on Greenlight. It went through much faster than I expected (11 days), and so here we are with a Steam release. This is the 'final expansion' version of the game, which adds and tweaks even more content to make the game about twice as long, as well as a few features special to the Steam platform.

The game stars a peculiar almost marshmallow-like character who has just narrowly avoids death row. Escaping into an abandoned subway system, maybe it's here that they'll find salvation? But really, all one needs to do is close your eyes. Then you'll really start seeing~

Previous version was praised for a strange atmosphere that somehow is developed through the game's simple graphics and shapes, bizarre but effective audio design, and a surreal world with surprising moments, backed with well-done voice acting and a cryptic narrative. But really, it's all in the experience, isn't it? Hope those who decide to give it a swing enjoy it, it's a small little game but interested to hear thoughts and experiences, of course.

gpZz3Ne.png

Satellite Reign - Uzzy
Satellite Reign is a class based, open world, real time tactics game from 5 Lives Studios. In the neon and rain soaked City of the future, you play as members of a new, emerging corporation, struggling to survive. You'll have to build up your power base within the city, influencing people to your cause and obtaining assets, through hacking, propaganda, infiltration or brute force. Your eventual target: Dracogenics, a megacorp with the monopoly on immortality. Take them down and end their monopoly on immortality, freeing the poor oppressed masses, or ruling over them as you see fit.

I never get tired of seeing the ambiance of a desolate cityscape, cast in floods of rain and neon, with skyscrapers rising into the heavens far above the dispossessed squalor below. Satellite Reign's city is a fascinating example of this, but it's not just a pretty aesthetic. It's a massive open world, with masses of options for you to engage with. You'll have this constant list of needs, such as money to buy upgrades, to pay for cloned agents (no permadeath of your agents here), technological resources , researchers to develop your latest gadgets, and a variety of missions for you to try and sate those needs, with a ton of different ways of going about them. Your agents all have different classes, but you can tool them out with equipment and augmentations to suit your desired playstyle. It's a spiritual successor to Syndicate, and from what I've seen, it more than lives up to that classic name. Two great cyberpunk games in one month? I'm in mirrorshade heaven.

v4Q4wKs.png

Celestian Tales: Old North - Arthea
It is one of very successful kickstarter RPGs that seems to be borrowing of the best JRPGs of old, as Suikoden for example.
It has immersive storyline, very beautiful hand drawn artwork, moral driven story, multiple personal arcs (six main characters) and great soundtrack.
I don't know much about gameplay yet, only that it is a turn based RPG, but I expect great things from it too.
Also it has one of the best disclaimers on the steam store
You are not special
The world is not about to end
There is no ancient prophecy
No giant mythical beast is about to be unleashed
But, war is coming
And your moral duty is to your family and your people
Right or wrong is for you to decide

1wZUbTq.png

Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Uzzy
Shadowrun: Hong Kong is an isometric, turn based RPG from Harebrained Studios. As a standalone title, Hong Kong doesn't need you to own any of the previous Shadowrun titles, Returns or Dragonfall Director's Cut. Set in a cyberpunk world where man (and orc and elf) meet machines and magic, Shadowrun: Hong Kong takes place in the Hong Kong Free Enterprise Zone. You play a recent arrival to the city state, drawn to the glittering lights of Victoria Harbour with the promise of a quick, easy payday. However, you instead find yourself quickly drawn into a corporate conspiracy decades in the making, and forced to make new allies and prove yourself in the shadows in order to survive.

Even with my love for cyberpunk, the Shadowrun setting had never been one that really clicked with me. Shadowrun: Returns, despite being a generally solid game, didn't do much to change my feelings on the setting. However, Shadowrun: Dragonfall displayed a level of excellence in the writing, characters, setting and choice and consequence that propelled it to the very top tier of RPG's last year. More than that, it made me fall in love with the setting. The characters brought the world to life, the story was intriguing and full of twists and turns and really brought the setting's strengths to the fore, while making Anarch Berlin feel like an actual place actual people lived in. Should Harebrained's efforts in this game equal those made previously, then Hong Kong should prove to be one of the RPG highlights of the year.

uPYTqY2.png

Volume - AHA-Lambda
From the mind of Mike Bithell, the man who made you care about feelings of blocks, comes… a stealth game? Why yes, of course! What else were you expecting? Volume is a 3rd-person top-down stealth game that takes inspiration from classics such as Thief, but most prominently the original Metal Gear Solid; the game’s style taking heavy influence from that game’s VR missions.

The plot is a modern day retelling of the Robin Hood folk story by way of Youtube culture; where Robert Locksley discovers the Volume, a device allowing the user to simulate heists. He decides to broadcast these simulations on the internet, becoming a Let's Player of crime.
Featuring the voice talents of Youtuber Charlie McDonnell as Locksley, Danny Wallace (the narrator from Thomas Was Alone) as the Volume AI, and Andy Serkis as Guy Gisborne, the central antagonist.

You cannot kill in this game, you must distract and avoid your foes through each of the levels, using your equipment and environment to your advantage. But the campaign is not all that's on offer; a level editor also features, allowing you to create and share your own creations with other players.

If you love old school stealth games, and have some nostalgia for old Metal Gear in particular, then you should be picking this up! It’d be a great primer and also some good variety for Phantom Pain’s release next month.

Y41s0Ze.png

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 - Tizoc
GUMO GUMO NO STEAM!
5 years ago if you said a One Piece game would release on a service like Steam, people would think you were crazy. Now here we are in 2015, weeks away from a One Piece game releasing on Steam.
This game plays similar to the Warriors/Musou series KOEI is known for, but with the themes and settings being based on one of the most popular manga/anime series of the past 20 years.
The game will have you play through many of the areas Luffy and co. visited on their adventures up til the recent events in Dressrosa.
Play as many of the famed characters among Straw Hat crew and their allies ranging from Luffy, Boa Hancock, Whitebeard and 'God' Usopp as to the various enemies they faced on their adventures such as Donquixote Doflamingo, Akainu, Kizaru, Buggy, Enel and Rob 'Pigeon Pimp' Lucci.
While a lot are expecting the PC port to perform as well as TOEI's recent Steam releases, the fact that a game is even releasing on Steam should still be appreciated and given the chance, especially if you're a fan of Musou games or OP in general.

NsWMKkq.png

Submerged - MakeshiftChef
Tired of being chased by zombies? Shooting zombies/dudes/whathaveyou in the head? Want to take a break from the frenetic action of that soccercars game you've gotten addicted to? Well then, this might be the game for you!

Submerged is a third person exploration game that doesn't have combat. The hook here is simple, you're trying to get your wounded brother back on his feet again. You've taken him in your small boat to a ruined and flooded city in search of supplies. You'll use a telescope to spot things of interest from afar and travel by boat to try and reach them by climbing to them. Apparently the climbing bits are navigation type puzzles. You choose where to go and explore at your own pace. Enjoy the scenery as game has a day/night cycle and unravel the mystery of what happened to the world and your family as you explore and discover more.

The game will launch August 4th on Steam. After having trouble finding the launch price I emailed the developers and asked what it would be. Here's the response I got: "The price will be $19.99 USD - (Launch Discounts will apply for all Steam users, PS Plus, and XBOX Live Gold users)."

5uWiZO9.png

Uk7fIUV.png

Way of the Samurai 4 - Kurt Russell
Way of the Samurai 4 is Ghostlight's latest PC release. For those who haven't been following the company's work, they are a British publisher which focuses on bringing Japanese games to Western audiences, and as of late, has been bringing many of those games to PC.

After that quick intro, let's concentrate ourselves in Way of the Samurai 4, which is the second WotS game to come out in non Sony platforms (and the first on PC). Players start the game as a nameless Samurai who arrives in a fictional Japanese port town in the middle of the 19th century, just as foreigners start to influence Japanese life. Upon arrival, the player can choose to align with different factions (foreign powers, Shogunate forces or rebels who want to expel the foreigners) This non linear approach also translates to the gameplay, as players are able to experiment with different fighting styles, character customization options (though the character's gender is always male) important decision making and also ten different endings.

This new PC version features Steam Trading Cards, Achievements, Cloud Saving support and also supports either keyboard or controllers.

yN2bMXl.png

King's Quest - jshackles
I loved the King's Quest series back in the good ol' days. I was first exposed to it in 1987 when it was re-released for MS-DOS and eagerly looked forward to each subsequent release in the series through 1998. So when I heard that they were making an episodic game in the King's Quest series starring Christopher Lloyd and Zelda Williams, I was immediately hyped. The game is absolutely fantastic, even if you're not a King's Quest fan (let's be honest the series has been dead for 17 years). If you are familiar with King's Quest, you'll spot a few of the same story arcs from the original series of games, as this is more of a "re-imagining" than a "remaster". Graphically it's not unlike something you'd see in a Saturday morning cartoon, and the game shares a lot of similarities with The Princess Bride (including the inconceivably talented Wallace Shawn).

To say that the new King's Quest is like a Telltale game is a bit of a disservice. Sure, it's an episodic adventure game, and sure it's got QTEs - but it's also got multiple ways to solve the same puzzles, red herring items, branching story paths, and a lot of other conventions that were brought back from the adventure games of yore. The first episode is also 4-6 hours in length, meaning the entire game should be around 20-30 hours long - way meatier than the typical adventure game from Telltale. Also, this game doesn't hold your hand like modern adventure games do - it's easy to get stumped on a puzzle and wander around looking for a solution, or simply deciding to visit a new area to look for clues there - or an entirely new puzzle. For the best nostalgic results (and maximum play time), try not to follow any walk-throughs or guides online. We certainly didn't have that luxury in 1987!

If you're a fan of adventure games, or simply want to see what all the King's Quest fuss is about: be sure to pick this one up. My only (very small) complaints are that the story is a little sappy (like it's a fairy tale written for small children/young adults, which makes sense in the context of the story) and that some of the animation sequence times and backtracking can get a little annoying after doing whatever for the 10th time. Other than that, this has so far been one of my favorite games of 2015 so far.

MUsNH0M.png

Contradiction - Spot The Liar! - Dsyndrome
Do you find yourself longing for the glory age of PC, back when games took up multiple CD's, were nothing but FMV's and static environments, and had some sort of mystery to solve? Well then look no further than Contradiction, a recently release FMV game akin to games of yore like Gabriel Knight 2, Temujin, the X-Files Game, and everyone's favorite, Night Trap. Kickstarted back in 2014, the game released on July 10th and currently costs $10.

You play the role of Detective Inspector Jenks who's investigating the mysterious death of Kate Pine in the small village of Edenton. Gameplay consists of collecting clues you find around the map (no pixel hunting thankfully), interrogating townsfolk, and finding contradictions from their statements. Think Ace Attorney without the life bar. When you find enough contradictions in the statements provided by the people, the hour moves on and the next chapter begins. A help system exists for when you can't figure out the contradiction in the form of calling your chief.

Why should you want to play this game? Because this and the recent Her Story are returns to classic FMV adventure games that have been shunned since the late '90s. The acting may be hammy at times, but it never gets downright grating, and you might even end up liking it just to see how some characters react. Need another recommendation? Here's a review by Dusk Golem here on Neogaf, and here's a Giant Bomb Quicklook from a few weeks ago. More incentive? It's got pretty easy achievements and costs only $10, mere card earnings for many folks. Hopefully you'll check it out and continue to support more excellent FMV games in the future!

Anyone can write a recommendation for an upcoming game for next month, just send a a PM of the game you want to write about and your thoughts on why it's good/why people should play it. Please make the sure recommendation is 60+ words at least and try and hand it a few days before the month ends so I can add it to the next thread.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
ymZUPIW.jpg

• Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread. The discussion of splitting retail packs is fine though.
  • Do not spam post your steam stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • Examples of good posting behaviour and bad posting behaviour.
  • Don't hype pre-order bundles that you have no idea about. Just buy them!

hfRPttG.jpg

• Steam Support - The place to contact steam if you have a problem with the service.
  • Steam Trading Cards - Gain money by selling cards or craft them for cosmetic items.
  • Add funds to your Steam Wallet - You can also buy gift cards at most major gaming retailers.
  • Steam Mobile - Use Steam while away from the PC. Supports iOS and Android and has been recently updated.
  • Big Picture Mode - Lets you run Steam on your TV in a more convenient manner.
  • Steam Family Sharing - Share your Steam account with family and friends.
  • Steam Community - A hub of what other steam users have created or are discussing.
  • Steam Workshop - A showcase of Mods for games on Steam. Many are free, but some you now have to pay for.
  • Steam Greenlight - Vote for games that want to be on the Steam store.
  • Steam Stats - Check stats for the top 100 most played games on Steam.

TNJTePu.jpg

410axy1.jpg

HqIhxQF.jpg

Previous Threads:

zkylon

zkylewd
celestian tales looks interesting

faces are a bit derpy for my taste but suikoden is one of my favorite games and i like the premise at least

hope it's cheapish

jshackles

Cortana Modbot is now attached to this thread.

def sim

How do I access this shit exactly? Says I need to follow a group to view the comment. But if I click the link they give for joining the group it says "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" as a error message.

The alienware page is still one of the most awful ever, it seems.

Yeah, the site bugs out for me every now and then. Here's the list:

Alienware 13 (NA Only) 200ATP per ticket - 1 item
Alienware Alpha (Custom Painted) 300ATP per ticket - 1 item
Alienware Alpha (EU systems) 100ATP per ticket - 2 items
Alienware T-Shirts 10ATP per ticket - 5 items
Alienware Dog Tags 10ATP per ticket - 5 items
Alienware Lightup Bracelets 10ATP per ticket - 10 items
Alienware Alpha Quakecon Plates 10ATP per ticket - 10 items
Roccat Kone XTD Mouse with Roccat Taito Mousepad 30ATP per ticket - 10 items
Roccat Isku FX Gaming Keyboard 30ATP per ticket - 3 items
Broforce Steam Code 10ATP per ticket - 3 codes
The Witcher 3 Game Code 20ATP per ticket - 10 codes
Ark: Survival Evolved 20ATP per ticket - 10 codes
Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Siege Beta Codes 10ATP per ticket - 10 codes
Killing Floor 2 20ATP per ticket - 5 codes
Dungeon Defenders II 20ATP per ticket - 10 codes
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition 10ATP per ticket - 10 codes
HotS Skin Bundle (Muradin, Diablo, Kerrigan, Malfurion, Raynor) 30ATP per ticket - 5 codes
July Indie Bundle (AitD, Screencheat, Speedrunners, Coffin Dodgers) 25ATP per ticket - 10 codes

As an example if I had 1200ATP I would purchase the following tickets:
- 200ATP for 1 Alienware 13 ticket
- 500ATP for 5 Alienware Alpha ticket
- 90ATP for 1 ticket in each round of the Roccat Mouse giveaway
- 90ATP for 1 ticket in each round of the Roccat Keyboard giveaway
- 200ATP for 10 tickets in 1 round of The Witcher 3 giveaway
- 60ATP for 6 tickets in 1 round of the Alienware T-shirt giveaway
- 60ATP for 6 tickets in 1 round of the Alienware Dog Tags giveaway

Recently purchased Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Retribution after nerding out on Warhammer 40k lore on the wiki (I've never played a Warhammer video game or board game before). As someone who is new to the RTS genre, I appreciated how simple it was — I recommend it as a good starter RTS.

*Edit: I should add that I did have some issues with it. First, the game doesn't let you configure the controls/key bindings, and it doesn't tell you about the all of the keys in the tutorial. I had to look them up online. That just seems like poor design. Also, Easy difficulty is really pointless, because Normal difficulty is easy as hell too. Why have an Easy difficulty setting if a complete RTS beginner like me can just faceroll on Normal mode?

Overall it was a fun game. I give it 1 thumb up.

jshackles, im genuinely upset that you didn't put ozzy's preview :mad: devil's turd hater.

Reached the point of no return in Witcher 3.
So many broken quests, still...

i just got to skellig and doing some race with some girl, its the last part in the quest to find ciri, focusing on just doing story missions now, nearly 60 hours into the game bro, loving the game but god damn, i didn't expect it to take nearly my entire summer to beat lol

Backlogger

August is the best month because of my Birthday. Great OP!

Really looking forward to Kings Quest. The OG KQ was my first PC game

jshackles

jshackles, im genuinely upset that you didn't put ozzy's preview :mad: devil's turd hater.

No Steam page on August 1 = not included in OP, simple as that. The good news is that if it indeed releases this month, it can be written about in next month's "You May Have Missed". And I probably need more than 2 sentences.

It lives!

Seriously though, check out kings Quest, its good stuff.

As I mentioned in my review, it's one of my favorite experiences of the year so far. It's a little on the expensive side, but it's well worth it.

Turfster

i just got to skellig and doing some race with some girl, its the last part in the quest to find ciri, focusing on just doing story missions now, nearly 60 hours into the game bro, loving the game but god damn, i didn't expect it to take nearly my entire summer to beat lol

Most of the non-important (read: non-named) NPC sidequests are totally worthless timewasters that don't really return anything for the time you spend doing them, sadly.
And even then, half the "important" sidequests are broken in various ways.

Galaxy's achievements are hilariously broken too.
I'm still "13%" into the game, and have like 3 achievements.
Sure.

RS4-

Uhh, any reason why my steam level is down to 0? Checking other profiles, their levels are fine.

Probably just a steam issue.

Is it me or are the same people winning over and over again, even the same games multiple times?

Yup. Given how spammy the chat is, how slow the raffle is (over an hour, seriously?), and the bulk of the prizes being garbage I really doubt I'll do this again next month.

I'll still probably do the weekly things, but they should totally open the vault up when they start streaming -- not stream for two hours, and then run a raffle that'll likely be 90+ minutes long.

Most of the non-important (read: non-named) NPC sidequests are totally worthless timewasters that don't really return anything for the time you spend doing them, sadly.
And even then, half the "important" sidequests are broken in various ways.

Galaxy's achievements are hilariously broken too.
I'm still "13%" into the game, and have like 3 achievements.
Sure.

yea i know they're useless quest but i like them cause sometimes they're engaging, find out about the people's lives and shit like that, plus they're not boring filler to me unlike DA:I where i even found the main missions to be boring

derExperte

Yup. Given how spammy the chat is, and how slow the raffle is (over an hour, seriously?), the bulk of the prizes being garbage, etc. I really doubt I'll do this again next month.

Their 'system' doesn't scale at all. Also I'm starting to seriously question their random generator. And why play 3hrs of LoL before doing the giveaways when they know many Europeans are watching?

Hi, something was triggering my Win 10 like fucking crazy(couldn't use more than 10 min without freezing the entire PC), I spent the morning resetting and reinstalling everything, so far so good.

Hi, something was triggering my Win 10 like fucking crazy(couldn't use more than 10 min without freezing the entire PC), I spent the morning resetting and reinstalling everything, so far so good.

yo so many people are having issues with win10 that im happy i decided to wait it out (but im mainly waiting it out till they fix ds4windows)

Parsnip

Their 'system' doesn't scale at all. Also I'm starting to seriously question their random generator. And why play 3hrs of LoL before doing the giveaways when they know many Europeans are watching?

It'd be a lot quicker if they had one raffle per lot that remained open a bit longer, everyone put in their tickets (up to 10 tickets x total number of items in that lot), and then it did all of the raffles for that item at once.

Then you'd have 10 raffles done in roughly the time it takes to do two right now. Doing it onesie-twosie takes forever and just highlights how many "filler" lots they have.

yo so many people are having issues with win10 that im happy i decided to wait it out (but im mainly waiting it out till they fix ds4windows)

The only issue I've had was when I followed the "guide" to remove the need for the x360ce workaround and it fucked over my search integration which required me to reinstall since I couldn't figure out how to repair it.

Otherwise, my machine seems to like it. Granted, I haven't played a ton of games and it's been used mostly for livestreamer with EVO followed by SGDQ, but it's doing pretty well overall.

I see a strange fluke with KF2 sometimes where the game launches and stays at about 50k memory and i have to go launch it from the install dir... but other than that... yeah, fine so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom