• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won this game from someguyinahat. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but the reviews and screenshots looked good, so I went ahead and bought the bundle just in case I like them.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (billmcdougal, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren`s Call -- MB-871B1623B617D83A - Taken by anastef. 3 entrants total.

t1438442565z1.png

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ehhh. Switched from Waterfox to Cyberfox about a week ago and everything was dandy but just now I realized there is no way of getting Flash on this browser :/

Time to jump ship. Again.

Flash needs to be cut off and tossed into the history books at this point, it's doing you a favor.

I won this game from someguyinahat. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but the reviews and screenshots looked good, so I went ahead and bought the bundle just in case I like them.

So you bought an entire bundle without having played the one you won to see if you liked them first?

You're playing a dangerous game, my friend. But seriously, play 'em.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It does! Wish it didn't. Then I could watch on phone/tablet.

It might actually be HTML5. Firefox (and any FF derivitives) are not supported by Steam Broadcasts according to the old FAQ:

What are the browser requirements for watching?

Steam Broadcasting is currently supported by the following browsers:

• Steam Client (beta client)
  • Google Chrome (version 39+)
  • Apple Safari (version 8+ on OSX)
  • Internet Explorer (version 11 on Windows 8; not supported on other versions of Windows)

I just tried playing a broadcast with my vanilla Firefox install that I use for testing and the most recently updated version of Flash, and it told me my browser could not view broadcasts.

EDIT: Just tried Parsnip's instructions below, and it loaded up. Give it a shot, veggie!

Parsnip

Veggie, try this.

FYI, Steam broadcasting appears to work just fine on Firefox as well, at least in version 39 and up.
The trouble is that Mozilla hasn't whitelisted Steam for MSE, currently only YouTube, Netflix and Dailymotion are whitelisted.

That whitelist will likely be removed in 42, but if you want to watch Steam broadcasts in Firefox right now, just enter about:config and toggle the media.mediasource.whitelist setting to false.

Assuming Waterfox and Cyberfox are even remotely up to date, that should work.

I just tested and disabled Flash, and Steam broadcasts worked fine here.
Yeah, that's correct.

I think Firefox requires couple of about:config changes for it. But I don't have flash enabled and broadcasts do work in Firefox.

It's more likely your mobile browser doesn't have support for HTML5 MediaSourceExtension.
Hm..
Veggie, try this.
Incredible. It worked!
Thanks a bunchy bunch parsnip!

I am not even sure why I am using a x64-bit version of FF. I don't like when the browser has too much memory usage anyway as it gets sluggish.
But hey, it's the desire to be on the edge.

Tenrius

Depends on what you're going for at the moment. Contradiction is more traditional FMV adventure where you're walking around talking to people and finding clues, whereas Her Story involves piecing the story together by watching old interrogation clips pseudorandomly via key word. Her Story is kind of like Memento in that way.

They're both great games, like others said I'd get both at some point. Hopefully those descriptions help a bit in choosing.

I ended up getting Her Story. Played for like 15 minutes and it looked really intriguing (and a bit scary, especially the bit where she says
"Hannah, Hannah, Hannah, what are you doing talking about Eve?" and knocks on the table really loudly
. Wish I could play more today lol.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I actually didn't now Contradiction was more like a traditional adventure game, expected another unconventional offering for some reason. I like adventure games, but I'm more in a mood for an experimental game, so that's why I picked Her Story (well, for now, I'm definitely getting Contradiction later).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What didn't you like about the game?

Honestly I thought the PS4 port was lazy. I was honestly surprised at the number of textures that I saw in the game that were most likely lifted directly from the PSP version and stretched into HD without any remastering whatsoever. Lots of walls/doors in the game suffered from this. They mostly updated the character models and a few of the enemies/bosses, and a lot of everything else unimportant was left as a bit of a pixelated mess.

Also as many others have commented, the motion blur when turning the camera was absolutely horrifying. They even issued a patch on consoles to make that better, and it looks like the PC will have a preference slider which is an even better solution.

So technical aspects aside (since those will most likely be fixed for fixable in the PC release) let's see. The story is pretty boring, and the dialog is really flat and wooden. Of course the story being boring is just my opinion - but it sure seems like it could have been jazzed up to be more exciting. It's war for crying out loud!

The voice work is really bad though, I'm not sure if there will be a fix for that. Sometimes it comes across as passable, but it's like everyone recorded their dialog separately and nobody's tones or inflections match in conversation. Having the JP audio included in the Steam release will probably help this tremendously, if you don't mind reading the subtitles.

Either way, I liked the game well enough to spend $27 of my hard earned idling money to double dip, so I can say that it's not all bad.

I wish they could fix that 20% Flash volume thing that keeps happening in Firefox or versions of it. Only reason I don't use FF all the time. Can't wait for Flash to just be gone.

Dsyndrome

wow triss

we look horrible

Geralt looks like he should be driving around with Noctis and friends.

Sad that no one's jumping on King's Quest, at least from folks I'm friends with; only one thus far. That $40 price tag didn't help, I'm sure. I forget how long it takes to have reliable data, but Steamspy says 7,524 ± 2,038 right now. :(

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Freedom Planet -- MB-AD5A69185F811A0B - Taken by Loptous. 4 entrants total.

t1438444845z1.png

good platformer

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sad that no one's jumping on King's Quest, at least from folks I'm friends with; only one thus far. That $40 price tag didn't help, I'm sure. I forget how long it takes to have reliable data, but Steamspy says 7,524 ± 2,038 right now. :(

Yeah that's a pretty sad number for such an incredible game. I guess it really is hard reviving a 17-year-dead franchise. Along with the $40 price tag, they're also contending with the usual "I'll wait til every episode of this episodic game is released" crowd.

fantomena

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :(:(:(

I need ep 5 today. That fucking piece of shit.

Yeah that's a pretty sad number for such an incredible game. I guess it really is hard reviving a 17-year-dead franchise. Along with the $40 price tag, they're also contending with the usual "I'll wait til every episode of this episodic game is released" crowd.

the episodic part is what is making me wait. if it was 40 for the whole thing then it becomes much more tempting

Another bundle game down! Quick impressions for 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek...

You play nameless female Artifex Mundi protagonist #253, who gets a call to investigate Serpent Creek, where her friend, reporter Helen Hunter is currently researching an article. It's set in September 1953, and I can only assume then that Serpent Creek is in Tennessee because there's already statues and posters of Elvis Presley, who at that point would have made one acetate of himself at Sun Records and pretty much nobody else would have heard of him. Among the shady characters you meet are innkeeper Falsen Black (ancestor of Sarah and Cory Black from Nightmares from the Deep? Who knows?) one-armed Sheriff Willson, and the bald mayor who elongates every S he speaks (nah, can't be him...) Shit gets real pretty fast, and gets realer by the chapter.

The hidden-object games in this one are entirely classic, and the minigames are relatively easy, but there's an achievement for doing all three lockpicking minigames in less than a minute, so if you screw up you've pretty much gotta replay the game up to those points. (I got the last one fast, so when I replayed, the achievement unlocked after I finished the first two quickly.) There's also a "detective mode" (was this made before Arkham Asylum?) where you see a scene and have to identify pieces of evidence like dents or handprints. It's nice to see that they try different things from time to time, but it's also pretty clear why I haven't seen it in other games going forward.

It's an average length game: I clocked 3.4 hours, including replaying half the game to get the lockpicking achievement, so it's probably more like 2.5 to 3 hours.

It's rough around the edges, but it's by no means a bad hidden-object game. Still worth your time to try if you got it in a bundle.

Uzzy

£32 is a crazy large amount of money for a game that might not be complete for a year or more.

Annubis

So I just realized that when a Workshop mod is removed from the Steam Workshop, Steam will delete the entire content (local) of the mod without notifying you of it.

Dsyndrome

£32 is a crazy large amount of money for a game that might not be complete for a year or more.

They're trying not to pull a Telltale if it's any consolation.
We caught up with the creative director of King's Quest, Matt Korba, and discovered more about the incoming episodic adventure.

"There's going to be five episodes," Korba confirmed. "We haven't announced the schedule yet... but you're not going to be having to wait a very long time. It's not going to be one of those games that comes out and you don't get to play the second part until two or three years later."

jshackles

I agree. I kinda got a crazy deal on my copy ($50 PSN card for $30, so I bought King's Quest and had $10 left over for $30, so King's Quest = $20 basically) but honestly I thought the game was easily worth the asking price. Of course, I'm a huge fan of the series so even if I would have paid $20 for just the first episode I would have been satisfied with that. I saw everything, examined everything, talked to everyone and got almost 7 hours of gameplay from the first episode alone. I'll probably replay it again to find all the hidden achievements I missed, so that'll easily be 12-14 hours for me for just the first chapter when I'm finished. If each subsequent chapter is the same length (there's talk that the first will be the shortest) then I'm looking at 60-70 hours total. That's a pretty crazy value proposition, to me at least.

Knurek

This, I ain't paying £32 when most other games of this ilk are ~£20, plus have no prior experience with the series.

That works in your favor, actually.
Terrible adventure games, full of 'fuck you' moments, bad puzzles, dead man walking scenarios and bad Roberta Williams 'writing'.
Then there's King's Quest 8, whatever the fuck that was.
pc-44229-41337660784.jpg

Tizoc

This, I ain't paying £32 when most other games of this ilk are ~£20, plus have no prior experience with the series.

With Telltale games and LiS being sold for sub $20, King's Quest is gonna struggle, but it's high price point is likely due to the voice acting.
At any rate some traders are offering it for $32 if anyone's still interested in trying it out.

AHA-Lambda

With Telltale games and LiS being sold for sub $20, King's Quest is gonna struggle, but it's high price point is likely due to the voice acting.
At any rate some traders are offering it for $32 if anyone's still interested in trying it out.

Where?

That's at least more reasonable.

I am not even sure why I am using a x64-bit version of FF. I don't like when the browser has too much memory usage anyway as it gets sluggish.
But hey, it's the desire to be on the edge.
32bit Firefox works just fine, uses significantly less RAM for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom