• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck...a retro gaming banger handheld? Who here on GAF has one?

hinch7

I've had one (64GB) since April and its a great portable. Completed two games on there and nifty to pick up and play for smaller games like Vampire Survivors.

A little bulky to carry around so I'm more reluctant to take it with me on travels but have taken it on vacation once. The only qualms I have with it is the battery life, which isn't the best and even with it capped to 40FPS with lower wattage cap; it only lasts a few hours at most. Then theres the still limited library of games that are playable on Proton.. and also the screen, which could be a lot better. Other than that the device is awesome with good ergonomics and buttons. Can run a lot recent games surprisingly well and the power on resume is just so handy to pick up and play.

Last edited:
While waiting for Bayonetta 3 to unlock last midnight, played a bunch of Vanquish on it with a WIP gyro aiming controller scheme I whipped up, it was loads of fun! :]

JCK75

I got mine in July, it's timing was perfect as I separated from the wife, moved in early June, stayed with my parents until my apartment opened up in late August, so I had no access to a PC there and that steam deck was a godsend.. love it..
got a second one for my son I'll be giving him for his birthday in December... using the time until then to get minecraft and roblox working for him..)

mcmanic

I have the 256gig one, currently playing Burnout Takedown via PS2 emulation and UNCHARTED Legacy of Thieves Collection

Bakkus

I'm waiting for the inevitable second iteration with better battery life, HDMI input, and several other improvements. The only problem is that I have to get one through Sweden as Norway is not a part of the EU and they seem to only ship to EU countries in Europe.

Griffon

Then theres the still limited library of games that are playable on Proton
This is surprising to hear.

I have massive Steam library myself, and among the many I tried I have yet to find a game that doesn't run perfectly on Proton (be it with version 7 or experimental).

(except some notable Easy Anti Cheat games, but then again who would play competitive PC FPS games on a controller?)

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Best device I’ve bought in years. And yeah it is an emulation beast.

7-F4-DBC3-D-53-C9-4707-B30-F-153-C37-B72-CE3.jpg

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I've just received mine couple of day ago and wow, I've been testing stuff for hours. It's so fun when a new console comes out and because it's steam it makes it even more special.

Let's say, WoW classic is insane on this machine using console port mod and questies. I can't wait to see what Steam have in store in near future!

Ozriel

M$FT
If you know your way around a screw driver, the 64gb version is by far the best version to get.

512gb or 256gb SSDs are not too hard to find. You’ll upgrade to 512gb much much cheaper than buying that version from Valve.

hinch7

This is surprising to hear.

I have massive Steam library myself, and among the many I tried I have yet to find a game that doesn't run perfectly on Proton (be it with version 7 or experimental).

(except some notable Easy Anti Cheat games, but then again who would play competitive PC FPS games on a controller?)
There are thousands of games that don't work on Proton. A large portion of my games library don't work properly or flat out don't work at all.

Ymmv ofc. There's still room for improvement, but at least most of the bigger and more well known games are supported without issue/s.

The Anti-Cheat ones, yeah. Guess there's no way around those unless they decide to support Linux.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If you know your way around a screw driver, the 64gb version is by far the best version to get.

512gb or 256gb SSDs are not too hard to find. You’ll upgrade to 512gb much much cheaper than buying that version from Valve.

Yeah I got the 512 and there’s basically no perceivable difference to me when playing games off the SD card.

I guess there’s an anti glare but I will never be outside in a park playing this thing.

lmimmfn

I've got mine, personally I find it fantastic especially the sleep function, being able to start/stop a game in a second is fantastic. I completed Spiderman on it and currently working on Nier Automata.
I have a semi decent spec PC(1080Ti gfx card, 32GB ram 1TB Nvme drive) but I rarely play games on my PC rig the deck is that good

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Picked one up and thought it was great for about a week. Then stopped messing around with it and every time I went back to play it there were a metric ton of updates.

It’s cool, I always pack it with me for trips, but in reality I hardly play the thing.

Old man is old…

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve got one and enjoy it a great deal.

One of my favorite things is simply playing a game on my Steam Deck, and picking up where I left off on my PC. But generally I’m installing games I don’t have installed on my PC.

So far I’ve only used it for Steam games. I was full on gung ho with emulation back when I had a PSP, but these days I just don’t feel like doing it.

kubricks

Ordered mine on early August, still waiting for it to ship to my country.
I can't wait to use it and play Age of calamity with an acceptable frame rate, playing it on Switch (THE exclusive platform let me remind everyone...) makes me physically sick due to all the stuttering and the occasion 15fps. ;/

Thaedolus

Got mine in July and easily played 150+ hours on it. It’s kinda restored my love of PC gaming with how well cloud saving works between my desktop and the Deck.

I’ve had a Switch since launch but I’ve played that thing like 95% docked. For whatever reason the idea of playing it handheld doesn’t appeal to me outside of traveling, which I haven’t done much of for work since COVID. But the Deck I take with me everywhere. I’ve got it in the office for downtime between calls and shit, I play it in bed before going to sleep, I’ll play it on the couch in front of my 65” OLED instead of loading a game on my desktop and playing it on the TV. It’s just a well-crafted device that works amazingly well.

BlackTron

The concept is great and the product delivered for the price is good, I would just really prefer to wait until gen 2. The appeal to me is as an "all in one" device because it's a PC. But it's a bit short of the power to really be that, is giant, has low battery life and ends up being so close to perfection that you know its successor is going to make it look bad -sort of like the first DS to the DS Lite lol.

For me it's easy to wait because Switch is not bad for my meager portable needs. I get that for some, the capability to play a AAA game on a portable device with decent graphics is huge.

Madjaba

Got one too !

From playing part of my steam library to emulate all the consoles I could think of it's an amazing device.

But the fact that you can also add Xcloud support and Playstation Remote Play very easily is an absolute banger.

You can start a game on TV then continue playing on the deck flawlessly and vice versa.

Only major flaw is the battery life but there are lot of ways to manage that.

Great device !

Filben

Check out the official topic:

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
It's fantastic when you're a dad and your kids monopolize the computers and TV. It's also surprisingly powerful for something so small. I've had it since march and I've played so many games there.

TrebleShot

Got mine about a month ago and I have to say I’m so impressed it’s incredible especially when used with remote play and cloud gaming (these also use basically no battery).

Modern Warfare 2 on handheld :)

Codiox

too clunky for a handheld.

im using my AYN Odin Lite as a Retro Handheld powerhouse. Plays up to Wii, PS2 and some 2d Switch games.

qcm1eiqllf7c1hnzeth3

SCB3

I’m waiting on a new job now as I’ve been made redundant but I can’t wait to get one eventually, they seem super cool and a great way to revisit some older games, someone in a Fallout 3 thread I made is playing it on Deck and my god is that kinda stuff portable a massive selling point to me

ReBurn

Gold Member
I bought one but I barely use it. I like it but I don't have the PC library to make it worthwhile. Probably will buy a lot of games in the winter sale and give it another shot.

AndrewRyan

It significantly raised the level of quality I expect from portable games. Brought it to a doctor's appointment and while waiting for an auto repair and it wasn't killing time, it was actual exhilarating gaming. With a bluetooth headset *boom* you're in another world.

SScorpio

There are thousands of games that don't work on Proton. A large portion of my games library don't work properly or flat out don't work at all.

Ymmv ofc. There's still room for improvement, but at least most of the bigger and more well known games are supported without issue/s.

The Anti-Cheat ones, yeah. Guess there's no way around those unless they decide to support Linux.
Anti-cheat aside, have you tried the other non-working games with Proton GE yet?

Many of the games with issues are caused by reliance on licensed parts of Windows that Valve can't distribute, and I'm not sure they could even write their own open-source implementations. Think of things like media codecs.

Proton GE is Proton, but includes these additional things Valve can't. I've had many games go from won't start to running normally, including music and videos.

Where is the Game Pass App for the Steam Deck? The cloud streaming stuff.
The edge browser settings work, even makes it look like an App rather than a browser, But really where's the App? Where not dealing with Apple and IOS anymore here. It's a Steam Deck.

I turned it into a Windeck (Windows 11) to get the Gamepass stuff download and play, but I had issues with getting controllers and mouse(touchpad) to work consistently. I could get them to work when fiddling with settings and plugins and tried Glosc and Glosi and SWICD (Works best), but I wasn't really happy with it, so I'm probly going to Reimaged it back to regular old Steam Deck UI,
unless anyone knows a better way to get the controls to work in Windows.

Ozrimandias

I have a jailbroken nintendo switch with many games (of my children), I would like a Steam Deck that performs similar. Some questions for those who have one, how well does it run games like Quantum Break? The older Ubisoft games (Ghost Recon Future Soldier and Splinter Cell) have always given me problems because they open the damn Ubisoft Connect launcher, how they perform on a Steam Deck?
And finally, what is the status of steam deck emulation with switch games? (I don't even think about the Nintendo ones, but the rest)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
im saving up, when i get it im gonna use it more than any hand held ive ever used
if they release a version with better battery life and smaller size ill cop it asap

EekTheKat

Steam Deck basically woke me up to how much nonsense is buried in Windows.

Currently wrestling with a bunch of broken things in Windows 11 that pretty much cripples "security" and something causing my laptops fans to go into overdrive.

Not to mention the dog slow Windows update that may or may not install updates based on their own schedule.

While my Steam Deck updated everything in a few minutes and is happily sitting in the dock behaving.

bender

What time is it?
Anti-cheat aside, have you tried the other non-working games with Proton GE yet?

Many of the games with issues are caused by reliance on licensed parts of Windows that Valve can't distribute, and I'm not sure they could even write their own open-source implementations. Think of things like media codecs.

Proton GE is Proton, but includes these additional things Valve can't. I've had many games go from won't start to running normally, including music and videos.

Virtua Tennis 4 doesn't work. GFWL FTL.

My bigger issue is that the older the game is in your library, the more problematic the game is to get playing well but a lot of that has to do with a lot of those games not having native controller support.

Last edited:

SScorpio

Virtua Tennis 4 doesn't work. GFWL FTL.

My bigger issue is that the older the game is in your library, the more problematic the game is to get playing well but a lot of that has to do with a lot of those games not having native controller support.
Have you tried a modified GFWL DLL? There's a guide and link to one with RE Operation Raccoon City. It might work it might not. https://www.protondb.com/app/209100#BPPDgwj7HF

I find it really comes down to what you are trying to play. Some games written for older versions of Windows actually run better with Proton rather than on Win10/11. And creative use of Steam Input can turn even horrid non-remappable keyboard layouts to be playable with a controller.

I'll be honest and blunt with this one. It's major fucking effort getting emulation set up let alone set up correctly.

Getting the content has for the emulators is straight up sketchy still in 2022 really shouldn't be this hard or require this much effort but it still is. I think that's what kinda drives people away from it.

Had mine since Aug this year and already board of the games I have with it on Steam. Attempted setting up emulation and 100% sure I've got some nasty malware on the deck by now just researching the set up and trying to obtain the content. Ain't worth the effort if you value your time

Last edited:

SScorpio

I'll be honest and blunt with this one. It's major fucking effort getting emulation set up let alone set up correctly.

Getting the content has for the emulators is straight up sketchy still in 2022 really shouldn't be this hard or require this much effort but it still is. I think that's what kinda drives people away from it.

Had mine since Aug this year and already board of the games I have with it on Steam. Attempted setting up emulation and 100% sure I've got some nasty malware on the deck by now just researching the set up and trying to obtain the content. Ain't worth the effort if you value your time
Most emulators are simply opening the Discover appstore and selecting the emulators to install. There also the Steam ROM Manager that links games with artwork to the main interface. You can find a guide here: https://github.com/nchristopher/steamdeck-emulation

As for getting the games to play themselves? Well those are copy-written content and it's not legal to provide downloads for them. There was a mass of lettering writing and many sites were taken offline. You can always dump games you own copies of yourself.

But stuff is still out there, you just need to read, though with how many people post asking I'm looking for game, I can't find game, etc on a subreddit I won't/can't post. Only to be told read the sticky that literally links 99.9% of what people are looking for outside of undocumented incredibly rare things.

Top Bottom