• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Minsc

Gold Member
Same. I would have had one earlier if they sold it in stores. I remember checking Best Buy a few months ago and being disappointed I couldn't buy one there or even try it. It would be perfect to sell at those big retailers like Best Buy, Target, Walmart etc.

I'm going through CDkeys right now looking for some games to buy. So far in my cart I have Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition. It's only $20 compared to like $50-60 on Steam. Same for MH Rise + expansion. Days Gone was like $10. Metro Exodus GOLD (with expansions) is $5. I just about filled my 1TB + 512gb sdxc card but when I go to a Steam page and see "Steam Deck: Verified", I'm like, I NEED TO TRY THIS GAME. I think the Resident Evil games are next. RE7, Village, RE4R.

If you're playing the RE games, RE3 Remake is also supposed to be a great one on the OLED, HDR gets rave reviews on it... they used raised blacks on the HDR for RE2 Remake, so that one doesn't look as great from what I've read, a lot more muted, but RE3 Remake onwards is where they really impress visually on the Deck. I haven't actually read many comments on Village which has HDR as well and runs 60 fps, nor RE4 Remake (doubt it runs 60, but still has HDR). RE7 is a special kind of hell. I'm saving that for VR, like I did with Village. But unlike Village, I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to finish RE7 in VR haha.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I’ve watched countless “best on Steam Deck” videos and not a single one mentioned Lumines. Hell, I didn’t even know that Lumines is on PC.

Well, it is and it’s glorious on the OLED Deck. Combination of new haptics and that gorgeous screen is like a remedy for aching soul. It’s one of my favourite games from PSP and I haven’t played it since the PSP days. It was so good, it almost transported me back in time.

Get it people.

nikos

Posted a little while back about wanting to stand the deck up while playing. Thanks for the suggestions.

Decided to go with the Deckmate Essentials Bundle, which includes a kickstand. It's currently 50% off for Cyber Monday. I'll have impressions when it arrives.

I like that the angle is adjustable and it doesn't add much to this already unwieldy thing. I believe it'll also still fit in the carrying case, but it seems easy enough to detach if necessary.

If anybody's interested, here it is: https://getmechanism.com/products/the-essentials-bundle

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Went to try steam link since it's built in, but most games are coming in super dim/brightness issue. Bug or ongoing issue?
I am getting very little lag at all.

Assaulty

Went to try steam link since it's built in, but most games are coming in super dim/brightness issue. Bug or ongoing issue?
I am getting very little lag at all.

Moonlight is just plain better in every aspect and dead easy to set up. It uses (a lot more) bandwidth but the quality is drastically better

Steam link quality wise is a lot closer to xbox remote play imo and is a bit of a bummer to play compared to moonlight

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I’ve watched countless “best on Steam Deck” videos and not a single one mentioned Lumines. Hell, I didn’t even know that Lumines is on PC.

Well, it is and it’s glorious on the OLED Deck. Combination of new haptics and that gorgeous screen is like a remedy for aching soul. It’s one of my favourite games from PSP and I haven’t played it since the PSP days. It was so good, it almost transported me back in time.

Get it people.

This should be so so so so cool on the OLED display.

THE DUCK

Moonlight is just plain better in every aspect and dead easy to set up. It uses (a lot more) bandwidth but the quality is drastically better

Steam link quality wise is a lot closer to xbox remote play imo and is a bit of a bummer to play compared to moonlight

I was trying to get moonlight to work but it does weird things like hang randomly, show my main screen in big picture mode in 1/4 of the screen, etc, plus I'm getting more lag from it.

Steam link does have 4k and bitrate options now.

On a related not, chaiki is still working amazingly well to my ps5.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Steam Deck Owners! I had an LCD steam deck and traded it because it was a little too fuzzy and short battery life for me and super loud at times. I tried the ROG ally and it was okay but quickly sold it because it sounded like a Jet Engine and I couldn't get more than an hour out of it really. Picked up the Legion GO and I really like it. Sill a little short on batter 1.5 hours for intensive games around 3-4 for less so but the big screen is awesome. I really want to try to the Steam Deck OLED because it's more of a console like experience. Looks like it fixes my issues with the first one. But I cant convince myself a good reason to own both the Steam Deck and a Legion GO. I am so torn!

Steam Deck Owners! I had an LCD steam deck and traded it because it was a little too fuzzy and short battery life for me and super loud at times. I tried the ROG ally and it was okay but quickly sold it because it sounded like a Jet Engine and I couldn't get more than an hour out of it really. Picked up the Legion GO and I really like it. Sill a little short on batter 1.5 hours for intensive games around 3-4 for less so but the big screen is awesome. I really want to try to the Steam Deck OLED because it's more of a console like experience. Looks like it fixes my issues with the first one. But I cant convince myself a good reason to own both the Steam Deck and a Legion GO. I am so torn!
You got to think about what games you plan to play on these devices. If you prefer a bigger size and want to play mainly AAA games I would stick with the Legion Go.

Some people do this backwards, they buy a handheld/device and than try to find games to use with it. You’re not going to use it much if you do this. For example, my deck is my main emulator machine. I have a gaming PC but I don’t want to play older games on it and i would rather do that on a handheld so getting a deck was a no brainer for me because I already knew I would have tons of games I wanted to play on it and I had a specific use in mind for it.

The deck plays the games i want to play, battery life is good and it’s cheaper than the other 2 options (ally/legion) so picking it was an easy decision. But if I didn’t care about price, wanted a bigger screen and planned to mainly play new AAA games I would have got a legion go or waited longer to see what the steam deck 2 ends up offering. This is what I mean by letting your planned use drive the decision.

Sleepwalker

I was trying to get moonlight to work but it does weird things like hang randomly, show my main screen in big picture mode in 1/4 of the screen, etc, plus I'm getting more lag from it.

Steam link does have 4k and bitrate options now.

On a related not, chaiki is still working amazingly well to my ps5.
How do you set up steam link?

I tried to just press "stream" on the game I wanted to play, and while it worked I wasn't presented with any bitrate settings etc.

My brother bought an OLED Deck and I stuck with my old LCD one and got a Go. While the OLED does have significantly better battery life on the same games, it just outright can't handle some games that the Go can. The OLED colors are really nice but text readability is much better on the larger screen of the GO. Right now, there really is no perfect handheld.

Minsc

Gold Member
My brother bought an OLED Deck and I stuck with my old LCD one and got a Go. While the OLED does have significantly better battery life on the same games, it just outright can't handle some games that the Go can. The OLED colors are really nice but text readability is much better on the larger screen of the GO. Right now, there really is no perfect handheld.

That's true, but with Moonlight you can play games on the Deck the Go can't handle and with that OLED screen (and soon enough with HDR too)... So best of both worlds. As long as you mainly play at home, which for me isn't an issue.

That's true, but with Moonlight you can play games on the Deck the Go can't handle and with that OLED screen (and soon enough with HDR too)... So best of both worlds. As long as you mainly play at home, which for me isn't an issue.
Well, the Go can stream too but yeah, it really depends on what you want to use them for. It's not like it's unheard off for people to go for a 77 inch LCD over a 55 inch OLED TV so it's the same deal here. Some people also value FPS more than colors and brightness so the Go's 144 beats the OLED's 90, though I think Moonlight is capped at 120 FPS.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well, the Go can stream too but yeah, it really depends on what you want to use them for. It's not like it's unheard off for people to go for a 77 inch LCD over a 55 inch OLED TV so it's the same deal here. Some people also value FPS more than colors and brightness so the Go's 144 beats the OLED's 90, though I think Moonlight is capped at 120 FPS.

Yeah, the screen size on the Go certainly is appreciated, but I am always going to lean towards an OLED and especially HDR. Like I don't think anyone would buy a TV these days without HDR. I don't even think you can, but that said not all HDR is the same. OLED + HDR is the ultimate form of it. And you really have to see something like Ori running on an OLED deck yourself to fully understand what you're giving up without it.

Lots of people also say motion is better on an OLED than LCD, so it may or may not be the case that 90fps on the OLED gives a better impression than 120/144 on the Ally, I am not sure. But the number of people who have said Moonlight/Chiaki was a massive improvement on OLED over LCD in terms of motion clarity and the OLED's faster response time definitely gives a bit of argument to OLED being better there, at least hz to hz, maybe not 144 vs 90.

I think the OLED Deck with the HDR is definitely going to turn in to one of the best gaming handhelds I've owned, right now it's not all there though. Very limited HDR and a bunch of quirks to work out on the new Deck, but in like another 6 months it's going to be a great experience. Hopefully the same is true for the Go - as many have commented on the current state of software for it being a ways behind the Ally/Deck.

Hopefully the same is true for the Go - as many have commented on the current state of software for it being a ways behind the Ally/Deck.
It is but on a positive note Lenovo seems much more committed to fixing it than Asus is. To this day, Asus still hasn't properly addressed the SD card issue. Lenovo so far has an active community presence with weekly updates. It's certainly suffering similar launch issues that the Deck and Ally had but since it's the latest one, the issues seem more glaring now that they're no longer present in the others. Just can't beat Valve's support though.

Last edited:

Assaulty

I was in the same boat. I was eying a discounted ally during black friday but the OLED sd completely killed off all desire to get something else. Honestly 90fps and 120 fps are pretty similar.

Idk what kind of wifi chip the go has, but the OLED even compared to the LCD deck is night and day for game streaming and now Moonlight games have 0 noticable input lag. And that screen is just absolutely gorgeous. blown away every time I load up Remnant 2 with those deep blacks and popping colors

Xbox streaming on the other hand looks compressed and has noticable input lag on both XBplay and green light unfortunately

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I was in the same boat. I was eying a discounted ally during black friday but the OLED sd completely killed off all desire to get something else. Honestly 90fps and 120 fps are pretty similar.

Idk what kind of wifi chip the go has, but the OLED even compared to the LCD deck is night and day for game streaming and now Moonlight games have 0 noticable input lag. And that screen is just absolutely gorgeous. blown away every time I load up Remnant 2 with those deep blacks and popping colors

Yeah, I just setup Moonlight through GFE and with Pinball FX running at 90fps - you'd notice in a heartbeat in Pinball if anything was not smooth, and the entire experience is perfect. Granted I don't recommend the Deck as a pinball device, but in terms of how good the streaming can be, if it's good enough for Pinball it's good enough for anything. Now to wait for HDR to get added!

Yeah, Xbox is the weak point of the Deck, but I have a PC and PS5 (and I believe HDR is already sorta in progress / working with PS5 streaming), so not a big deal for me.

Last edited:

SaiyanRaoh

So what is the situation with Nvidias Gamestream? Didn't they cancel that? What are you using for Moonlight to even detect?

Minsc

Gold Member
So what is the situation with Nvidias Gamestream? Didn't they cancel that? What are you using for Moonlight to even detect?

Moonlight works through GeForce Experience and also through Sunshine. GFE is supposed to not really be getting support going forward - I don't think it will do the HDR stuff but maybe I'm wrong. It runs flawlessly though. Sunshine is what Moonlight is supposed to be used as it works for any PC, AMD nVidia, Intel, whatever. And that is where the HDR is supposed to be working eventually. And it's supposed to be just as good as using GFE to stream.

SRTtoZ

Idk what the point of the velcro strap on the case is? It's just redundant. Do they think the zipper is going to bust open? lol. It's just annoying b/c as you're trying to unzip it, it's constantly trying to reattach itself.

SRTtoZ

Tomb raider 2013 runs super well on this, locked 90fps at normal settings.
Wow you're right, game looks great, stuck to 90 fps at default settings. I even turned Anisotropic to 16x. I never ever leave that at 4 or 8 like some games 'recommend'. Always turn it up to 16 on PC. Its usually such a small impact on performance. I just bought Rise and Shadow of the tomb raider for super cheap on cdkeys. Gonna try those next.

I'll probably end up turning some graphics up and settling for 60 locked. It still looks great as is but some extra eye candy is always nice.

Edit: I turned it up to high preset and it's still 90 lol. Actually during hectic combat its like 78-85 but still. VERY VERY playable.

Edit: Arkham Knight? No problems. Now, it's not smooth, it jumps all over place especially when you're flying over the city, but overall very stable about 45-50fps on high over the city, everywhere else 60+ especially indoors.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

How do you set up steam link?

I tried to just press "stream" on the game I wanted to play, and while it worked I wasn't presented with any bitrate settings etc.

If you go into the main settings there's a bunch of settings under remote play there.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
If anyone wants to make some easy money, there's a few offers to buy 'new' 1TB steam deck oled on stockx website for over $770 USD. :messenger_halo:

I've been trying to buy off this website for over a week and am close to calling it quits

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, finally ended up ordering after the day 1 shanangans. Hopefully I'll have it later this coming week.

Had the original already so doing this for the the awesome update to hold me over till Deck 2.

Mr. Steve

Neo Member
Anyone have a screen protector suggestion on Amazon?
For which version of the Steam Deck (Glossy or Etched Screen)? If Etched, would advise against a screen protector personally as it nullifies your anti-glare capabilities. And adding an Anti-Glare Protector to the etched screen doesn't do anything good for your scree quality.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

Get it people.

Thanks for posting this! I didn't even realize it was on Steam as well, will definitely snap it up. Played the hell outta that back on the PSP.

timothet

Just received mine! Got here day earlier than GLS initially estimated.

My first impression, now that I actually hold it in my hands, is that it feels light for its size. It's also kinda shame that it didn't come with Steam Deck themed microfiber cloth like Index does.

I will test it thoroughly tomorrow as I don't have much time today.

LiquidMetal14

For which version of the Steam Deck (Glossy or Etched Screen)? If Etched, would advise against a screen protector personally as it nullifies your anti-glare capabilities. And adding an Anti-Glare Protector to the etched screen doesn't do anything good for your scree quality.
it's the glossy version. The 512 model.

I am going to look into that right now. Appreciate it. And I did read that it doesn't make much sense to get a protector for the anti-gler versions since it kind of negates the anti-glare and you can still see a bit of the coding through the screen protector.

I also have noticing that it's anti-glare. Is it is anti-glare as the steam deck one that comes built in? I kind of like the idea of not having the anti-glare because the first theme that I had has that. And while it's good, I kind of don't mind not seeing that and having a bit more clarity to the screen without the anti-glare.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

D4 went on sale on Steam. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger even tho I own it on Battle.net just so I don't have to fuck around. Do you think the Steam version will run better than the Battle.net version on the Steam Deck?

From what I'm reading some say they perform very similarly but maybe the Steam version runs at 5-10fps which isn't that much normally but when you're talking about 40-50fps, that's a lot. If your'e talking about a gaming rig where the game runs at 200fps that's obviously nothing in the grand scheme of things. Now factor in the OLED deck performs a solid 5fps better than the non OLED version, that adds up to a good 15fps. I think I'll buy it on Steam. I could always refund it if I change my mind after an hour.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I think it's worth it just for being native to Steam. Will be easier to install/remove when desired.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Inside is only 2 EUR on Steam. Great showcase for the OLED screen. Play it next to the original Deck and the difference will be day and night.

ReD4 went on sale on Steam. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger even tho I own it on Battle.net just so I don't have to fuck around. Do you think the Steam version will run better than the Battle.net version on the Steam Deck?

From what I'm reading some say they perform very similarly but maybe the Steam version runs at 5-10fps which isn't that much normally but when you're talking about 40-50fps, that's a lot. If your'e talking about a gaming rig where the game runs at 200fps that's obviously nothing in the grand scheme of things. Now factor in the OLED deck performs a solid 5fps better than the non OLED version, that adds up to a good 15fps. I think I'll buy it on Steam. I could always refund it if I change my mind after an hour.
That’s some math, that’s for sure. Where have you seen the steam version runs up to 10fps better than the battle.net version? That seems super unlikely. So goes the oled version running a whole 5 fps better.

Receipts Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Here’s what will happen - you will rebuy on steam, and get the exact same performance, within a margin of error.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Sold my Steam deck for $350 today and I’m definitely thinking of grabbing the OLED. Kinda wish the LE version was still in stock. :(

Mr.ODST

Tempted to purchase, Lumines was one of my faves on PSP and now I'm more into my PC gaming than my PS5 very tempted

Laieon

it's the glossy version. The 512 model.

I am going to look into that right now. Appreciate it. And I did read that it doesn't make much sense to get a protector for the anti-gler versions since it kind of negates the anti-glare and you can still see a bit of the coding through the screen protector.

I also have noticing that it's anti-glare. Is it is anti-glare as the steam deck one that comes built in? I kind of like the idea of not having the anti-glare because the first theme that I had has that. And while it's good, I kind of don't mind not seeing that and having a bit more clarity to the screen without the anti-glare.

They might have a glossy version, I'm not sure. I tend to prefer matte finishes on pretty much everything, screens included, so I always go anti-gloss.

LiquidMetal14

They might have a glossy version, I'm not sure. I tend to prefer matte finishes on pretty much everything, screens included, so I always go anti-gloss.
I want to hit an order today on Amazon and we'll give it a shot. It is not anti-glare but I wanted to try something new normal like on my phone with the OLED so I went with the regular screen protector.

SRTtoZ

That’s some math, that’s for sure. Where have you seen the steam version runs up to 10fps better than the battle.net version? That seems super unlikely. So goes the oled version running a whole 5 fps better.

Receipts Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Here’s what will happen - you will rebuy on steam, and get the exact same performance, within a margin of error.
You could be right. That's just what I read on reddit (lol) in the thread where a Valve employee talks about both versions. Like you said, there could be human error there but I was thinking about doing it anyway just to have it native on Steam. It's not like I want to install anything else from Battle.net besides D4. Maybe SC2 one day but probably not b/c I wouldn't wanna play a Mouse game on there if I don't have to.
A side note, it's freaking trippy playing RDR2 on this thing. I have most settings on medium, FSR2 'balanced' mode, high textures, everything else mid range, some of the more heavy hitter settings low but it looks and runs great on this thing. Mostly 40-45fps and has a ton more room for either getting to run near 60 (but turning stuff down) or getting it a solid rock 30 but turning some stuff up. Great game for this device.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m in a position where I can finally get one of these bad boys for myself for a Christmas gift.

I’m traveling 3/4 weeks a month next year at least 3 days a week with sometimes 5 hours a pop at a hotel room bored shitless.

I’m hesitant to get it because it could end up like my switch lite where it collects dust. In fact I could just use the lite instead to catch up on things like Xenoblade franchise or Metroid .

So let’s talk about games that wouldn’t have issues being 60fps without looking or playing poorly. The games I’m tempted to use this for:

Diablo 4
Diablo 2R
WoW retail (maybe. Controls seem eh)
Path of Exile
Trails series
Yakuza games

Just a starting point. Does anyone here have first hand experience with these titles ? What can I expect ?

Like when I see something like baldurs gate 3 is steam deck verified is that the game on lowest settings at 30fps ?

Sleepwalker

I’m in a position where I can finally get one of these bad boys for myself for a Christmas gift.

I’m traveling 3/4 weeks a month next year at least 3 days a week with sometimes 5 hours a pop at a hotel room bored shitless.

I’m hesitant to get it because it could end up like my switch lite where it collects dust. In fact I could just use the lite instead to catch up on things like Xenoblade franchise or Metroid .

So let’s talk about games that wouldn’t have issues being 60fps without looking or playing poorly. The games I’m tempted to use this for:

Diablo 4
Diablo 2R
WoW retail (maybe. Controls seem eh)
Path of Exile
Trails series
Yakuza games

Just a starting point. Does anyone here have first hand experience with these titles ? What can I expect ?

Like when I see something like baldurs gate 3 is steam deck verified is that the game on lowest settings at 30fps ?

Baldurs gate looks good on deck, performance is decent too.

Your other games wont have issues performance wise, I was just playing Gotham Knights at 30-40fps on my OLED deck, yes it low settings and FSR but it looked surprisingly decent.

Unless youre trying to play Alan Wake 2 on it youll be fine, even CP2077 runs well.

Arsic

Baldurs gate looks good on deck, performance is decent too.

Your other games wont have issues performance wise, I was just playing Gotham Knights at 30-40fps on my OLED deck, yes it low settings and FSR but it looked surprisingly decent.

Unless youre trying to play Alan Wake 2 on it youll be fine, even CP2077 runs well.

My research shows that baldurs gate 3 is basically 28 fps up to 40 with plenty of drops.

PoE 30-55 fps depending on maps.

Diablo 4 runs very well. 60 fps medium settings.

Diablo 2 is basically perfect.

But it is hit or miss on title. I’ll need to generate a list of games I’d like to invest major time into that run well on this to justify the purchase. It’s why I was looking at ARPGs primarily for it.

Sleepwalker

My research shows that baldurs gate 3 is basically 28 fps up to 40 with plenty of drops.

PoE 30-55 fps depending on maps.

Diablo 4 runs very well. 60 fps medium settings.

Diablo 2 is basically perfect.

But it is hit or miss on title. I’ll need to generate a list of games I’d like to invest major time into that run well on this to justify the purchase. It’s why I was looking at ARPGs primarily for it.
You can cap your framerate at 45fps or so and have a pretty good experience in those games. BG3 is in the bracket of super demanding games on deck but still pretty playable while looking good.

I say as long as you temper your expectations youll be fine. You can also GFN onto it I guess.

Arsic

You can cap your framerate at 45fps or so and have a pretty good experience in those games. BG3 is in the bracket of super demanding games on deck but still pretty playable while looking good.

I say as long as you temper your expectations youll be fine. You can also GFN onto it I guess.

Looked up a few games people have great results on and I think two game changers for me are final fantasy xiv online AND monster hunter rise.

Ff14 is near limitless hours for me and in general I get bored of the game within 2 hours when I sit to play it so that should be ideal for battery life to make steady progress on end walker.

Throw in some new PoE league progress, or a D4 season, then work through a backlog of older titles like MGS revengance or etrian odyssey 3, and I think I can justify the purchase .

Top Bottom