• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Minsc

Gold Member
The OLED deck has a max brightness of 1,000 nits peak brightness while the current Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra does 1,750 nits and the next one (S24) is said to have a max of 2,500 nits.

Even still, the only time I've ever seen my phone look like 1/3 as bright as the Deck running Ori 2 in HDR was trying to use it in direct sunlight (I have the 1,750 nit S23 Ultra, and it doesn't impress one bit compared to the Deck).

AFAIK no games or apps really push those nits on mobile devices, though I suppose it's possible Netflix in Dolby Vision or something may. Certainly no games do.

Last edited:

Senua

Woke up this morning to an email telling me that my 512gb OLED Steam Deck and official dock are arriving today! I go on a two week holiday abroad on Saturday which gives me two days to load this baby up with everything I can think of :messenger_sunglasses:
you're gonna spend the entire holiday in your hotel room aren't you

Cyberpunk on this thing is a sight to behold. Toyed with some settings, turned on HDR and limit the framecap to 45 (fluctuates a lot but is fine imo), beautiful.

Been toying with the idea of getting one of these. Have you ever used this in-flight before? hows the experience ?
I just use them while on sofa so I don't get numb arms holding the deck. The new models seem to have decent improvements QOL over the OG's.

the screen quality is really nice, If you got money you want to burn then I'd say go a head and pick a pair up.

And no flights as I don't travel sadly.

Last edited:

Pakoe

Let’s not go overboard with the hyperbole. samsung flagships get significantly brighter, but that’s fine since they’re expected to be used outdoors in bright sunlight anyway.
They might get brighter on paper but only 1% of the screen can reach 1750 nits for the S23.

For Samsung, 1,750 nits outlines its peak brightness for a 1% window size

100% APL1% APL80% APL20% APL
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra1,049 nits1,760 nits1,150 nits1,566 nits

Valve seems to be advertising a peak brightness of 1000 nits, but I can't seem to find if that's also for 1% of the screen or fullscreen.

Minsc

Gold Member
Let’s not go overboard with the hyperbole. samsung flagships get significantly brighter, but that’s fine since they’re expected to be used outdoors in bright sunlight anyway.

Yeah it's not. Let's call Ori 2 a 10/10 for brightness, the brightest game I have ever seen on a mobile phone is like a 4 / 10.

All the nits in the world don't do shit if the games can't use them!

Last edited:

Laieon

They might get brighter on paper but only 1% of the screen can reach 1750 nits for the S23.

For Samsung, 1,750 nits outlines its peak brightness for a 1% window size

100% APL1% APL80% APL20% APL
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra1,049 nits1,760 nits1,150 nits1,566 nits

Valve seems to be advertising a peak brightness of 1000 nits, but I can't seem to find if that's also for 1% of the screen or fullscreen.

Pixel 8 Pro on the other hand...

Google-Pixel-8-Pro-display-screen-a-1.jpg

I haven't received my OLED yet (Saturday!), but I'm excited to see how its brightness compares to my Pixel.

Minsc

Gold Member
I also think it's a matter of HDR too. Like when you get to the max brightness levels on your phone (at least on the S23U) - it's in danger zone red section of the scale. You can set it that high, but it warns you that it is not good for the screen to remain there, and auto-sets back down to outside the red shortly after.

And the higher Auto-Outdoor brightness outdoor is also bad for the IQ. It definitely blows out colors in favor of raising brightness to ridiculous levels so you can see in direct sunlight, so in a controlled darker environment it's not as impressive as actual HDR in a game, where select sections of the screen are using that max brightness in perfect quality.

Plus while sure - the phones get way brighter outdoors than the Deck even, it's not just being brighter that is impressive to me, because your whole environment is brighter too, it definitely is appreciated, but doesn't wow me, like the HDR on the deck.

Pakoe

Pixel 8 Pro on the other hand...

Google-Pixel-8-Pro-display-screen-a-1.jpg

I haven't received my OLED yet (Saturday!), but I'm excited to see how its brightness compares to my Pixel.
Completely unrelated but I always liked the Pixel for what they do. If I wasn't using an iphone, I'd be using a pixel.
Those are some impressive specs.

Last edited:
I got a response from support on the earphone buzz from using the 3.5mm jack - essentially all oleds are the same and will all buzz with earphones - so no point RMAing.

Bluetooth is the future it seems.

StereoVsn

I got a response from support on the earphone buzz from using the 3.5mm jack - essentially all oleds are the same and will all buzz with earphones - so no point RMAing.

Oh, this would drive me crazy. I use IEMs sometimes with Deck or Ally.

What? For real?

This was the response after trying out what they suggested:

Thank you for getting back to us.

We understand what you're describing, but we expect the behavior to be within our tolerances for the product.

All units go through a factory test specifically designed to verify that they do not have an elevated "noise floor" and we're not aware of anything that would make this issue worse during transport or shipment. We're actively monitoring these issues to be sure there is nothing outside our expectations.

If you find the "noise floor" on your unit unacceptable, we can process a replacement for you while we bring your unit in for examination. However, we do not believe that a new unit will operate in a significantly different way in this regard.’

I would be interested to see if anyone doesn’t have this issue with iems and the new oled decks. My lcd was fine - this sounds like a pc front audio port with interference from the CPU/GPU.

Jesb

What are the file sizes like these days. Wondering if you can be happy with the 512 model or are you constantly deleting games?

Boralf

What are the file sizes like these days. Wondering if you can be happy with the 512 model or are you constantly deleting games?
Depends on the games you play I guess and how many you want to be available to play. In my library most indie games are somewhere between 500MB to 10GB and most A+ games are somewhere between 30gb to over a 100gb.

Shakka43

So I just tested a little bit with the headphone jack and I'm not getting any buzz or audio distortion, also tried Bluetooth (both times with a Corsair virtuoso headset) and while is not perfect the delay is not that noticable.
Wired headphones audio

Minsc

Gold Member
Does anyone have experience with bluetooth headphones? Is there noticeable delay in sound?

Steam Deck OLED supports AptX Low Latency so you should be good if your headphones can use that as well. It's day and night better than not having it - which is most other gaming hardware for some reason - you'd think where it matters the most like in games, it'd be supported, but it's often not the case.

OLED Deck does, so you're good. If your headphones don't, then you need headphones that use a USB-C adapter, those won't have lag.

LordOfChaos

I'm one the fence to sell my LCD and buy the OLED.

Please tell me what glass you choosed and why? I'm still not sure if I should get the glossy or etched one.

I figured for the difference between 512 and 1TB, I could install a 2TB SSD and a good one like a Rocket in maybe a year, and just get a matte screen protector

I'm not sure if screen protectors would do as good a job, and their upgrade pricings aren't crazy either, so really can't go wrong with either

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

We understand what you're describing, but we expect the behavior to be within our tolerances for the product.

All units go through a factory test specifically designed to verify that they do not have an elevated "noise floor" and we're not aware of anything that would make this issue worse during transport or shipment. We're actively monitoring these issues to be sure there is nothing outside our expectations.

If you find the "noise floor" on your unit unacceptable, we can process a replacement for you while we bring your unit in for examination. However, we do not believe that a new unit will operate in a significantly different way in this regard.’

I would be interested to see if anyone doesn’t have this issue with iems and the new oled decks. My lcd was fine - this sounds like a pc front audio port with interference from the CPU/GPU.
Yeahhh I definitely have this issue on mine and it’s definitely interference from the CPU/GPU. The noise changes along with whatever is happening on the system (sitting idle vs loading a game vs game running vs menu screen, etc).

I can only notice it if the volume is turned down really low or if there’s no sound coming from the game. Still kinda disappointing. Didn’t have this issue on the LCD version

Topher

Gold Member

Yeahhh I definitely have this issue on mine and it’s definitely interference from the CPU/GPU. The noise changes along with whatever is happening on the system (sitting idle vs loading a game vs game running vs menu screen, etc).

I can only notice it if the volume is turned down really low or if there’s no sound coming from the game. Still kinda disappointing. Didn’t have this issue on the LCD version

I just tested mine and I can't reproduce the issue (thankfully). All sounds as it should.

Assaulty

Honestly, the screen is literally only one of the many many things upgraded.

Literally everything has been tightened up

Moonlight performance is absolutely mindblowing with this new wifi card and download speeds are higher than my pc on ethernet 🤣

Edit: welp, that didnt age well. The thing refuses to connect to my 5ghz now

Last edited:
So I just tested a little bit with the headphone jack and I'm not getting any buzz or audio distortion, also tried Bluetooth (both times with a Corsair virtuoso headset) and while is not perfect the delay is not that noticable.
Wired headphones audio

It is earphones that have the issue - the in ear type ones. It is something to do with the impedence - so if you use proper headphones, it is fine - earphones are the issue (apparently).

Codiox

I figured for the difference between 512 and 1TB, I could install a 2TB SSD and a good one like a Rocket in maybe a year, and just get a matte screen protector

I'm not sure if screen protectors would do as good a job, and their upgrade pricings aren't crazy either, so really can't go wrong with either
bought the LCD in september 2023 for 420 euro
sold the lcd this week for 450 euro
bought the OLED 512 two days ago.

fuck yeah! reset the clock!

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

bought the LCD in september 2023 for 420 euro
sold the lcd this week for 450 euro
bought the OLED 512 two days ago.

fuck yeah! reset the clock!

Hah yeah weird times, I "upgraded" to the PS5 Slim for almost no money for the hell of it, there may not be many upgrades in that one but at least I know everything inside is 3 years less worn

Finally tried out remote play with PS5 on the SD OLED, it’s solid. The stream wasn't 100% smooth but its good enough.

After playing a few hours with it I am still tempted to pick up a ps portal because I can already see the bigger screen and dualsense controls being better for streaming.

Here is a video on how to set it up remote with PS5:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Have you tried different headphones? Do all your headphones buzz?
Ha, actually no I had only tried my favorite earbuds. :messenger_poop: Just tried with a headset and I can’t hear it at all. The earbuds have much lower impedance so I guess that would make the interference come through much stronger?

For reference:
Carbo Tenore - 16 ohms, noticeable interference
Epos PC38X - 28 ohms, not noticeable

It is earphones that have the issue - the in ear type ones. It is something to do with the impedence - so if you use proper headphones, it is fine - earphones are the issue (apparently).

Edit: just saw this, yeah this definitely seems like the case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom