• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam early access thread |OT| Take a chance on me

cormack12

Gold Member
AFe8028.png

Given the minefield that is Steam Early Access, I thought it might be an idea to post those games you did take a chance on and you've considered worth your money/time. I'll keep the OP updated with any new additions. Search below the posts for any deals not from Steam on prices etc.

Thread rules
Must not be affiliated with game
Must show receipts if requested or in community doubt. This means you must own the game or have access to an account that owns the game
Must give short description and where applicable what is a comparable mainstream game
Provide a few gifs if possible
One game per post
I'll update the OP when people post more games
If you support the game being on the list, like the post for that game. This will become the effective '+1' button

Current list
Earthfall - Co-op shooter like L4D
Megasphere - Shooter platformer
Wolcen - Dungeon Crawler
It Lurks Below - aRPG elements, combines steamworld dig and terraria like

Last edited:

bati

Does the game have to be in Early Access when the post is made or can we nominate games we bought in EA and were then released?

cormack12

Gold Member
Does the game have to be in Early Access when the post is made or can we nominate games we bought in EA and were then released?

You can nominate games that were in early access and are now out yeah, so like Everspace would be valid too. Try get some of the more little known games as much exposure as possible :)

cormack12

Gold Member
Earthfall
Platforming/shooter - great music and nice way to waste a bit of time.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
Dungeon crawler aRPG in vein of Diablo/PoE

Youtube of gameplay

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I haven't played any Early Access games recently, and typically try and stay away from them given their bad reputation - but that being said I'm always on the lookout for cool experiences even if they're totally polished.

Can't wait to see what gets recommended in this thread - I'm already looking at Wolcen going "I should play this". Great job OP. :goog_biggrin:

Redshirt

Banned
I own Wolcen, but I don't know how anybody can recommend it right now. No offense Cormack12, but the game is so barebones right now.

Just not enough to do, and the grind that's there is terrible, but if you want to support an aRPG dev, that's cool too.

Redshirt

Banned

As for a recommendation, I'll throw It Lurks Below into the ring.

It's created by David Brevik's Graybeard Games and mixes different games (like Terarria and SteamWorld Dig, for instance) with aRPG-like skills and spells.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I own Wolcen, but I don't know how anybody can recommend it right now. No offense Cormack12, but the game is so barebones right now.

Just not enough to do, and the grind that's there is terrible, but if you want to support an aRPG dev, that's cool too.

Yeah it's a bit raw in places, but most of early access will be. I'm enjoying what I'm playing and the levelling and skills etc. but I'd still encourage people to take on board other opinions and watch youtubes etc.

Redshirt

Banned

Not exactly a new game, but it's new to me and I'm having a blast with it.

I'll update after I have more experience, but I think this is a game I'm going to keep coming back to for a while.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Not exactly a new game, but it's new to me and I'm having a blast with it.

I'll update after I have more experience, but I think this is a game I'm going to keep coming back to for a while.

Just came to post this when saw the thread title. I've got over 32 hours in it and I don't usually like card games. I've won twice on daily runs, but never on a normal run yet, and have unlocked all the cards/relics for the three characters.

To give others some more details on the game, it's a Rogue-like, deck builder card game. You pick one of three characters (all of which have their own abilities and card sets) and try to make your way through a three level dungeon--a bunch of fights with attack/defense/buff/de-buff cards--with a boss fight at the end of each. After each fight you get to pick from 3 or 4 cards to add to your deck, along with potions etc. and you get relics that add special effects/statuses from chests, elite enemies or purchased from a merchant you can find here and there. There's randomness in both the layout of the 3 levels of the dungeons, which cards and relics you get each run and the shuffling of the deck of course. So it has near endless replayability.

It's very polished and feature complete, so I'm surprised it's still in early access at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redshirt

Banned
Just came to post this when saw the thread title. I've got over 32 hours in it and I don't usually like card games. I've won twice on daily runs, but never on a normal run yet, and have unlocked all the cards/relics for the three characters.

To give others some more details on the game, it's a Rogue-like, deck builder card game. You pick one of three characters (all of which have their own abilities and card sets) and try to make your way through a three level dungeon--a bunch of fights with attack/defense/buff/de-buff cards--with a boss fight at the end of each. After each fight you get to pick from 3 or 4 cards to add to your deck, along with potions etc. and you get relics that add special effects/statuses from chests, elite enemies or purchased from a merchant you can find here and there. There's randomness in both the layout of the 3 levels of the dungeons, which cards and relics you get each run and the shuffling of the deck of course. So it has near endless replayability.

It's very polished and feature complete, so I'm surprised it's still in early access at this point.

Do the daily climbs count just your first score for the leaderboard?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Do the daily climbs count just your first score for the leaderboard?

Yes, only your first run counts. No reason to repeat other than for fun. You still earn points to unlock stuff for the characters (if you don't have all of them) and sometimes the daily runs are more fun than normal ones (and sometimes their a pain in the ass).

Redshirt

Banned
Yes, only your first run counts. No reason to repeat other than for fun. You still earn points to unlock stuff for the characters (if you don't have all of them) and sometimes the daily runs are more fun than normal ones (and sometimes their a pain in the ass).

Cool. Thanks.

Once I realized the daily climbs weren't randomized, I was hoping that was the case.

My Time at Portia

Think a fully realized 3D Stardew mixed with exploration elements of a huge beautiful world similar to Breath of the Wild. It's really pretty amazing with tons of charm. The game will get a price hike at launch so grab it if goes on sale. I picked it up during the summer sale for $15 and it's an absolute steal at that price.

It's one of the highest user rated steam games on early access as well with near overwhelmingly positive review scores.

Top Bottom