• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

NMS is dead to me until I see it pop up on Steam, don't even care. I'll be over here playing dozens of amazing indie titles and watching morons fight their list wars from the sidelines.
just beat shovel knight, definitely goty candidate, specially since i didn't enjoy dark souls 2 as much as i hoped for

onto transistor, then
Leeg aside you have good taste in the vidya, zyklon.

saunderez

Good to see someone else knows Qbert :D I played it a lot in arcades when I was just a kid and it is a nice surprise to see this reboot showing up out of the blue.

Seeing how other olden games have already seen a sort of reboot, I would like to see:

* Galaxian/Galaga
* Dig-dug/Mr Do
* Missile command

Hmm, I was thinking my list would have been much longer but can't think of anything else right now.

Pac Man of course. The best reboot. And I mean Pac Man CE DX, not that shitty platform game.

Arthea

If there was anything to the recruiting and managing and team-building, sure, but all you really had to do was recruit Brother.

The name suggests it's a game about shrubbery.

but that doesn't even make sense... don't you get brother at the end of a game, when by all accounts you should have be done with blitzball and forgotten it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSxZU70GhYU

Pac Man of course. The best reboot. And I mean Pac Man CE DX, not that shitty platform game.
I hope so, as I plan to play it to bits!

Vuze

The No Man's Sky being de-announced for PC is depressing me right now.

I wouldn't make too much out of it. Fairly certain they will release it on PC after PS4 since Sony is going all-in for timed-exclusive content, DLC and games for this gen. Super annoying but understandable.

There was also a pic on The Verge which showed a task board where SLI support(?) is mentioned. It's hard to read because of the resolution tho so this might just be a wrong assumption. http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/1/5860418/behind-the-scenes-at-hello-games-makers-of-no-mans-sky

The Namco Museum Gamecube/PS2/Xbox Arrangement version of Dig Dug was rad. I think the Galaga Arrangement version was too.

Ahh, right, I missed that :p anyway it is a good thing that these historical franchises I am thinking also of Pacman, Qix/Fortix, Space invaders/Titan attacks and other ones -, have been brought back to life after a long time and that game industry is somehow rediscovering its roots.

Yeah, in fact I think it's the one reboot that get this rediscovery process started.

aku:jiki

Good to see someone else knows Qbert :D I played it a lot in arcades when I was just a kid and it is a nice surprise to see this reboot showing up out of the blue.

Seeing how other olden games have already seen a sort of reboot, I would like to see:

* Galaxian/Galaga
* Dig-dug/Mr Do
* Missile command

Hmm, I was thinking my list would have been much longer but can't think of anything else right now.
Galaga Legions DX and Missile Command (2007). And I'm sure you're aware of Mr. Driller.

Autofokus

oh expectations!
we are much less forgiving to games that fail to live up to our expectations, that's true.
True, but it's not like mine were completely unrealistic. They called it 'Ninja Gaiden' and charged full retail price for it -- don't hate me if I expect a proper Ninja Gaiden entry. :)

Tizocs description was pretty accurate:
Eh I enjoyed Yaiba for what it is, a simple action game with slight Musou-ish gameplay elements.
And thats a nice description for a Suda game, but not for Ninja Gaiden. Earlier games of the franchise are still one of the best in the genre and Yaiba just makes me sad. :(

Galaga Legions DX and Missile Command (2007). And I'm sure you're aware of Mr. Driller.

Yeah, I am aware of the existance of Mr Driller series although I have never tried any of those games, and I'm also aware of the good stuff that have showed up on XBox live I've been missing out.

More in general what I meant is, there are a lot of games and genres - shoot'em ups, beat'em-ups - that have been neglected and that in recent years are seeing a reboot, and as a old-time videogame fan I cannot help but rejoice.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Jase, what are the most expensive delisted games floating around? Or, alternatively, what would be the most expensive if there were any copies going? I just want to be prepared in case I get the opportunity to travel back in time and set up a secret Steam account where I can store gift copies of Wheelman.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It's not the oldest game ever, but I'd really like a new version of Smash TV. I played that game a lot when I was younger, great multiplayer game.

I also think it would be cool to see a remake of Shadow of the Comet, with all of the problems that game had fixed. That and bringing Jack Nicholson back on to do voice acting for it would be great.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Didn't the publisher announce that keys won't be coming? Not really Royale's fault...

they have said thats not happening as the bundle preceeded greenlight (even tho other devs have handed out keys for games that preceeded greenlight)

Oh, didn't knew that they said that...

Groupees' Doujin Bundle 2 is it. The rest don't count, essentially.

Yeah, I got my key from the Groupees bundle so I'm good, just was waiting for the "giveaway copy" :p

But thats really strange to just deliver keys to one bundle cause the others where before greenlight started...

Tizoc

De-announced? I didn't think it ever go announced it was coming to PC as of yet, well officially anyway. Considering I pop in Hello Games' website quite often and follow their Twitter account (doesn't help with me spamming Joe Danger facts) I've only heard PS4 mentioned. The last I heard was that they are not tied to any exclusive contracts but due to going from 4 staff to 10 just recently their focus is on PS4 and then we'll see. Fingers crossed it's going to be like Joe Danger and it'll come eventually but this is a crazy ambitious project by the sounds of how things work.

Also I would put about as much faith in GameSpot's 'reporting' as I would do a newswire. Well they're close to the same bloody thing anyway.

Edit: In fact have it from the horses mouth from one of the few sites I trust to get their facts straight.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/01/no-mans-sky-pc-release/

He went on to be a bit cagey as to when but there sounds like there's a lot of work left to do.

No Man's Sky will come to PC/Steam.
We got various indie games that initially got released on Sony systems first, like OliOli and Guacamelee, No Man's Sky is just a matter of when, just like Grim Fandango HD

Tizoc

True, but it's not like mine were completely unrealistic. They called it 'Ninja Gaiden' and charged full retail price for it -- don't hate me if I expect a proper Ninja Gaiden entry. :)

Tizocs description was pretty accurate:

And thats a nice description for a Suda game, but not for Ninja Gaiden. Earlier games of the franchise are still one of the best in the genre and Yaiba just makes me sad. :(

Well for starters: Don't approach it as a Ninja Gaiden game, this kind of mindset needs to stop, not every game has to follow the same gameplay as its predecessors, and to top it off, this is a spin-off game.
Ditch your saltiness because it's clouding your judgement, and play it for it is and judge it for what it is (my description).

Mind you I'd recommend Killer is Dead over Yaiba personally.
Suda acid is so good~

Knurek

thanks Pork, royale being surprisingly fast lately

Reddit at work, basically, their newest bundle entries had people griping about waiting months for keys, Desura rep responded promising to change that.
(Funnily enough, Indie Royale has keys, while Desura doesn't. Go figure).

xeris

Had a free hour or two so I thought I'd get a start on one of the games in my backlog. Hey, I says to myself, I've heard good things about this To The Moon. I'll just play it for a bit. Maybe just enough to pick up the Steam cards and save the rest of it for later.

*Four and a half hours later*

OK, that was totally worth skipping any and all sleep tonight to see it through to the ending. Almost feel guilty I got it in a bundle and didn't pay full price. Almost.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Reddit at work, basically, their newest bundle entries had people griping about waiting months for keys, Desura rep responded promising to change that.
(Funnily enough, Indie Royale has keys, while Desura doesn't. Go figure).

I wish there was a site with a easy to read list of games that are out on steam and are awaiting keys from bundles. I know igbwiki has something like that but its a huge list of basically every game with no key yet.

i just want a list of stuff out on steam with no keys yet :(

aku:jiki

It's not the oldest game ever, but I'd really like a new version of Smash TV. I played that game a lot when I was younger, great multiplayer game.
Smash TV doesn't exactly have a unique control scheme or game design though... If you mean specifically with the game show theme, there's Cash Guns Chaos for PSP.

Honestly, though, STV is kind of a crap quarter muncher designed to be unfair. Best leave it to your nostalgic memories.

But thats really strange to just deliver keys to one bundle cause the others where before greenlight started...
It's because Royale doesn't actually advertise forthcoming Steam keys. We all assume it because it's standard but the page doesn't really promise any future keys. Groupees does promise them, though.

Tizoc

it's hard to reply to posts like these cos i want to thank for a compliment but then you write my name wrong and diss league of waifus and i don't know what to say

I told you it rolls easier on the tongue, and stop bawling over your username.
You don't see me whining or being bitchy if anyone mispells my user name as Tizok.

Arthea

Smash TV doesn't exactly have a unique control scheme or game design though... If you mean specifically with the game show theme, there's Cash Guns Chaos for PSP.

Honestly, though, STV is kind of a crap quarter muncher designed to be unfair. Best leave it to your nostalgic memories.

It's because Royale doesn't actually advertise forthcoming Steam keys. We all assume it because it's standard but the page doesn't really promise any future keys. Groupees does promise them, though.

Royale does promise steam keys for greenlight bundles, actually. I'm sure of it, but can't confirm now, we need active greenlight bundle to see if they stopped promising it. I could have missed it.

But you see, I knew it's not really NG game, and you probably could have known too.
OTOH I agree, that you had right to expect NG game.
We need NG games on steam too

zkylon

zkylewd
I told you it rolls easier on the tongue, and stop bawling over your username.
You don't see me whining or being bitchy if anyone mispells my user name as Tizok.
ibrlA4p7XUlTzX.gif

Knurek

I wish there was a site with a easy to read list of games that are out on steam and are awaiting keys from bundles. I know igbwiki has something like that but its a huge list of basically every game with no key yet.

i just want a list of stuff out on steam with no keys yet :(

Doesn't this work?

It's just a list of stuff out on Steam with no keys yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Doesn't this work?

It's just a list of stuff out on Steam with no keys yet.

as i said thats all the games that might get a key, most of those arent actually on steam. I wanted a list with games that ARE on steam, and dont have keys yet (like Uprising 44 for example)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jase, what are the most expensive delisted games floating around? Or, alternatively, what would be the most expensive if there were any copies going? I just want to be prepared in case I get the opportunity to travel back in time and set up a secret Steam account where I can store gift copies of Wheelman.

Pretty much anything that's more than a year old and isn't Steam-redeemable (e.g. Wolf09) or was only available for a short amount of time (e.g. Earth: Year 2066). I was going to ask Muxwell if I could buy a key for Earth from him but I believe he's lost his Steam Partners access. :( I shouldn't have dilly-dallied. But on the other hand, I think the Motor Rock devs also lost their Steam Partners access and they were still able to receive keys from Valve to sell via the RnR3D site, so maybe there is some hope.

xeris

While I love Smash TV, I have to agree with this. I have it on some collection and pull it out every once in awhile for nostalgia, but about 20 minutes or so in the glow wears off and I'd rather just play Robotron 2084.

Dr Dogg

No Man's Sky will come to PC/Steam.
We got various indie games that initially got released on Sony systems first, like OliOli and Guacamelee, No Man's Sky is just a matter of when, just like Grim Fandango HD

Hahaha well while I'm not prepared to talk about a developers intent outside what they have officially said or build myself up with assumptions, reading through the wishy-washy and non committal comments the guys and gals at Hello Games have said since the VGX unveiling it would be crazy to ignore the 80 million potential customers on Steam.

There are a couple of factors to bear in mind though. The pretty much lost everything when their office got flooded at christmas (I was driving past Guildford on the way back home from visiting relatives at christmas and it wasn't a pretty site from even the motorway) and that there is no one to lend a hand with PR and marketing if you go for a PC release unlike the platform holders like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo (just imagine No Man's Sky on The Treehouse!) where as you'd having to be doing all that yourself which is either a massive undertaking for a small team or would cost an arm and a leg. And hey you know those platform holders want to make it seem like they have something better than their competition with things like 'Console Exclusive' and 'Console Debut'. In an ideal world for the consumer there would be no exclusives but for smaller budgeted developers they are a necessary evil at times sadly in this world where there are 100's and 100's of new releases each year.

I was a bit miffed at Super Time Force being a 360 & Xbox One 'Exclusive' (thankfully 360 has demos for everything arcade or I would have gone crazy) with a retracted mention of a PC release but look how that turned out. Cappy got exposure by being on a console and then we get an Ultra Edition. It might test our patience with these shenanigans but more often than not we are rewarded at a later date.

Arthea

Hahaha well while I'm not prepared to talk about a developers intent outside what they have officially said or build myself up with assumptions, reading through the wishy-washy and non committal comments the guys and gals at Hello Games have said since the VGX unveiling it would be crazy to ignore the 80 million potential customers on Steam.

There are a couple of factors to bear in mind though. The pretty much lost everything when their office got flooded at christmas (I was driving past Guildford on the way back home from visiting relatives at christmas and it wasn't a pretty site from even the motorway) and that there is no one to lend a hand with PR and marketing if you go for a PC release unlike the platform holders like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo (just imagine No Man's Sky on The Treehouse!) where as you'd having to be doing all that yourself which is either a massive undertaking for a small team or would cost an arm and a leg.

I was a bit miffed at Super Time Force being a 360 & Xbox One 'Exclusive' (thankfully 360 has demos for everything arcade or I would have gone crazy) with a retracted mention of a PC release but look how that turned out. Cappy got exposure by being on a console and then we get an Ultra Edition. It might test out patients with these shenanigans but more often than not we are rewarded at a later date.

I don't understand why you say it wasn't announced for PC. Maybe I'm imagining things, but first time it was shown, two years ago, it was a PC game. You don't need to announce it separately as in reconfirm it's a PC game.

bolded part is bad, I could understand why would they want that exclusivity deal, after reading this.

Autofokus

Well for starters: Don't approach it as a Ninja Gaiden game, this kind of mindset needs to stop, not every game has to follow the same gameplay as its predecessors, and to top it off, this is a spin-off game.
Ditch your saltiness because it's clouding your judgement, and play it for it is and judge it for what it is (my description).

Nah, I'm not salty and I usually don't yell at clouds. :)
I'm not a stubborn fan who wants old shit repeated again and again, I think change is important to keep things fresh. As long as those new ideas/elements are good or a step forward -- and Yaiba hits none of those points, that's my 'problem'.

RE:Spin-off: You can change up characters/story, visual style and even sometimes the genre. But it isn't a free pass to produce a mediocre game.

Mind you I'd recommend Killer is Dead over Yaiba personally.
Suda acid is so good~
I never played a _really_ good Suda game, I think. His games are at least interesting (in it's own way) and whacky.

Dr Dogg

I don't understand why you say it wasn't announced for PC. Maybe I'm imagining things, but first time it was shown, two years ago, it was a PC game. You don't need to announce it separately as in reconfirm it's a PC game.

bolded part is bad, I could understand why would they want that exclusivity deal, after reading this.

Oh I've no doubt it was, is and will be a PC game but that's a different thing from being announced. Which it never formally was, hence why I said I'm not going to build myself up and then come crashing down when it turns out that Sony go to them with an offer to market and promote their game for putting it on their platform first.

They worked with Hello Games with Joe Danger so there is a relationship there at least. I don't know how chusty they are with Valve but I doubt anything on the same level let alone the very small amount of promotion Valve do anyway.

Edit: In fact if you go to their press site you'll see it's still to be announced which platforms it's going to appear on.

http://no-mans-sky.com/press/sheet.php?p=no_man's_sky

And this has now been updated with their E3 video from this year.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The final boss fights in Shovel Knights were really, really good! Made up for a lot of the push-over bosses earlier in the game :3

JaseC

Looks like the current beta client once again plays silly buggers with library game counts: I lose six games when using it.

Knurek

Looks like the current beta client once again plays silly buggers with library game counts: I lose six games when using it.

Proper question here: Do you gain anything? It's possible you lost 7 games but gained Wheelman instead, right?

JaseC

Proper question here: Do you gain anything? It's possible you lost 7 games but gained Wheelman instead, right?

Haha, sadly, no. :( That being said I'm not actually sure which six games disappear. I was going to hunt them down, but the difference isn't in my installed list, so bugger that.

Would you take that deal JaseC?

Sure... provided I could choose seven games I can just buy again afterwards. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom