• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilmer_

Internet is dead and offline steam works, but how does it keep track of play time and achievements?

My phone Internet is slow, wondering what is best version of dwarf fortress to get? Need direct links if possible please.

Offline play time has never been tracked for me. I don't think it works period when you're offline. Achievements seem to be hit or miss depending on the game.

Aurablade

Internet is dead and offline steam works, but how does it keep track of play time and achievements?

My phone Internet is slow, wondering what is best version of dwarf fortress to get? Need direct links if possible please.

Offline play has never kept track of play time for me, but it does keep track of achievements.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Playtime, it doesn't. Achievements, it depends on the game in question. Some games are programmed to unlock earned achievements, and sync with Steam once you get back on the internet, so all the achievements you earned offline will have the same time stamp once you get back online. Some games don't unlock them at all if you're offline.

edit: beaten black and blue

DOOM is so much fun...3 missions in (everything 100% except 1 challenge which I'll go back and do)

need to start using my upgrade stuff since things started to ramp up a bit

Sarcasm

I have no Internet remember!

Got it working, this is going to be brutal. I have never played dwarf fortress before.

Any tips?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Offline play has never kept track of play time for me, but it does keep track of achievements.

I think there were some strings pointing to offline playtime tracking after Valve announced its revamped refund policy, but needless to say they never went anywhere.

Grief.exe

Just checked in on The Forest and the game is still receiving frequent updates.

The game also has 2 million sales, so my guess is they are well funded going forward.

Dogma and the game Hub? They are both nice and moneymakers, I just wish there was a SF2 to play on PC.

The Game Hub was Sega, but Dogma and RE0 were the current Capcom releases. Dead Rising 4 is also releasing this year, and they are assured to be more ports coming as they've proven to be a solid moneymaker.

Sarcasm

Yea complete utter failure since I started. I didn't even learn what I was doing wrong.

I found guides for begin 40 and older, nothing newer?

Still wondering where these Capcom ports are.

Me too.

Probably the same place all the SEGA ports are.

Other than the two that already released this year?

wbacon said more Dogma style ports were in the works and mentioned something about reveals in the near future... but up til now, nothing has been revealed. Pretty sure this is what Jawmuncher is referencing.

Gonna wait and see on the Nuuvem release.

Good luck with that.
If you don't live in South America (or even better, Brazil), you're not likely to get far.
God forbid you have problems and have to live the nightmare of dealing with their CSRs.

Apparently they're "updating their store to support USD$". Which will probably make the regional price advantage disappear unless you have someone in SA who is able to get you keys in R$.

Shade

I have no Internet remember!

Got it working, this is going to be brutal. I have never played dwarf fortress before.

Any tips?

This is a good place to start (video playlist): DFVIDTUTS2015 . Even though it is a little outdated it has enough of the basics (and a few advanced topics) to get you started easily.

If you'd rather just jump in and use a start guide: Quickstart Guide Wiki

Good luck, and enjoy! Once you get the hang of it, there is nothing like it.

PS. If you want graphics to start (easier to get the hang of it at first) I recommend this: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack (assuming Windows). Direct link

It is a few minor revisions behind, but it is a great place to start.

Just checked on The Forest and the game is still receiving frequent updates.

The game also has 2 million sales, so my guess is they are well funded going forward.

The Game Hub was Sega, but Dogma and RE0 were the current Capcom releases. Dead Rising 4 is also releasing this year, and they are assured to be more ports coming as they've proven to be a solid moneymaker.
Oh yes, Sega. I hope for more ports from then too.

So Dogma, RE0, and Read all came out in January. And since then they've been porting 4,5,and 6 to next gen and making RE7. I wouldn't think they're putting out fighter ports to distract from SFV, but people like me who aren't interested in V are interested in 2 and 3rds and the like.

Also, I just got The Forest and a new to me card. It contends with your jayz card for performance to dollar, a 290x 8GB for $120. I'm looking forward to The Forest.

Shade

Started to play Drox Operative for the first time today and played almost five hours without getting up.

I did the same when I first started to play it. I put 200+ hrs into it before it came to Steam. Definitely a departure from Soldak's regular games. I was at first leery at the change in game play/style (for me personally), but I was proven wrong and really enjoyed it.

I feel like it's been a while since the last time we had bomba PC announcement, especially console game ports.

Where's the next Disgaea? Where's the next SE JRPG? Where's the next Capcom and SEGA port that has been teased for a while?

Why isn't there a Monster Hunter on PC that's good? I feel like Generations should get an upres port to consoles at least.

Monster Hunter Online is good. The Chinese one, with English patch.

I feel like it's been a while since the last time we had bomba PC announcement, especially console game ports.

Where's the next Disgaea? Where's the next SE JRPG? Where's the next Capcom and SEGA port that has been teased for a while?

Monster Hunter Online is good. The Chinese one, with English patch.

They all got leaked, Dangan et al.

Lomax

Funny how everyone said they got their Audible credit instantly but I don't seem to have gotten mine at all. Annoying.

Started to play Drox Operative for the first time today and played almost five hours without getting up.

I did the same when I first started to play it. I put 200+ hrs into it before it came to Steam. Definitely a departure from Soldak's regular games. I was at first leery at the change in game play/style (for me personally), but I was proven wrong and really enjoyed it.
I enjoyed my time with DO, though I only played a couple dozen hours of it. Just wanted the biggest ship...

Really interested to see how Soldak's new game, Zombasite, develops.

Lomax

I enjoyed my time with DO, though I only played a couple dozen hours of it. Just wanted the biggest ship...

I can see it getting repetitive after another time through or two, but it definitely has that addictive aRPG feedback loop down with a bunch of really unique aspects to go along with it. Very glad I picked it up.

Kuroyume

Banned
I was able to get Call of Duty war chest, transformers, and DOOM: BFGE (own the original so maybe pointless but whatever) free thanks to audible. Not bad.

Shade

If you enjoyed Depths of Peril and Din's curse you should enjoy Zombasite. It builds upon a lot of features from both and adds some new things. I put about 150+ hrs into it when it first released, and they have continued to balance and patch it since then. I enjoying seeing a lot of the features from Depths of Peril, that was missing from Din's curse, included in Zombasite. Hunting for food and potions adds an interesting aspect. As well as managing your town/clan members. The loot selection is great as per the other Soldak games.

(I've never been disappointed by a Soldak game yet, so I may be biased).

Lomax

It doesn't show up as amazon credit in your balance page. You see it applied in checkout.

I know, and it isn't showing up there either and the email I got from audible didn't mention it at all. If it doesn't show up in a day or two I'll message them.

Grief.exe

wbacon said more Dogma style ports were in the works and mentioned something about reveals in the near future... but up til now, nothing has been revealed. Pretty sure this is what Jawmuncher is referencing.

..but it's July. What do you expect?

Okami sure is a funny way of spelling God Hand.

Okami is a big game, these things take time.

I'm down.

Oh yes, Sega. I hope for more ports from then too.

So Dogma, RE0, and Read all came out in January. And since then they've been porting 4,5,and 6 to next gen and making RE7. I wouldn't think they're putting out fighter ports to distract from SFV, but people like me who aren't interested in V are interested in 2 and 3rds and the like.

Also, I just got The Forest and a new to me card. It contends with your jayz card for performance to dollar, a 290x 8GB for $120. I'm looking forward to The Forest.

Nice deal.

sadblob

I know, and it isn't showing up there either and the email I got from audible didn't mention it at all. If it doesn't show up in a day or two I'll message them.

You get a 2nd email when they give you the $10, be on the lookout for that. Is your card good btw?

def sim

Ah I see

I did get an email from Audible saying my credit was good to go, so hopefully you only have to wait. Amazon had ended a different promo earlier than stated just recently and the 12th is the last day for the Audible credit IIRC.

If you enjoyed Depths of Peril and Din's curse you should enjoy Zombasite. It builds upon a lot of features from both and adds some new things. I put about 150+ hrs into it when it first released, and they have continued to balance and patch it since then. I enjoying seeing a lot of the features from Depths of Peril, that was missing from Din's curse, included in Zombasite. Hunting for food and potions adds an interesting aspect. As well as managing your town/clan members. The loot selection is great as per the other Soldak games.

(I've never been disappointed by a Soldak game yet, so I may be biased).

Sounds great! Thanks for the impressions. Definitely something I need to check out.

Y'know, beyond the gameplay of Soldak's titles (which I enjoy) the thing that surprised me the most was the writing. Like, the short stories and stuff (in DoP) are incredibly well-written. I still remember some of them, years later, now.

Soldak's one of those little indie marvels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom