• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM NEXT FEST is live with a load of good demos

Orta

Banned
New Trepang demo!

D9TKPo.gif

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Shit. Gonna fire it up now before the Capcom show starts. I'm still rocking a measly 2070 so I'm probably SOL. lol

I’m sure they will fix that for the final game. It feels amazing to play. I love all the little immersive sim elements. You can interact with hundreds of objects. Hell, you can even open pizza box and eat individual slices. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Oh, and aesthetics of this game are simply breathtaking. I won’t play a minute longer to not spoil anything for the final release.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
I played this and Midnight ight club the other day. You can easily get a good 1-2hrs+ out of each.

This is a pretty solid deck builder, and its not my genre, but play them once in a while. The presentation is fantastic and I have like 3 hrs and still playing.

GHG

Selaco demo is LIVE. Dig in boys.

Edit: Also that interesting FPS from Devolver. Good stuff this year.

Anger foot is amazing.

If you can only try one game then that should be it.

Last edited:

Holammer

It's a shame that this thread isn't getting more attention. Tons of cool demos out right now. Sometimes it barely feels like GAF plays games anymore. Anyways, this one was pretty fun, and super stylish:

GAF is mostly console country, with a lot of playstation folks, Nintendo and the occasional loon trying to inject something about Game Pass into every conversation.

Tried some bottom of the barrel stuff myself. Super Gosu Cars could be a modern super sprint, but it it fails to commit to either third person or top view. The interface is atrocious.
Had big hopes for Zoria and the Cursed Land, a metroidvania with a thicc Orc lady? Sounds great, except there's no fullscreen mode, no controller support and it runs at a super janky 33fps. Feels like eurojank platformers of old.
Also tried Sexy Mystic Survivors, I think the demo was available before the Next Fest, but whatevs... It's a surprisingly good Vampire Survivors clone with busty waifus. For prudish users there's a version called Beautiful Mystic Survivors without the sexual content. The engine is *really* good and it still ran at 100+ fps without lag during the endgame.

Pejo

This was cool. A "Punch-Out!!" inspired game. The core mechanics are ok, but there's just something that feels off.

This makes me question why we don't get more Punch-Out!! inspired games though.

VN1X

Banned
Some demos I've checked out so far, in random order:
  • :messenger_fire: Cultic: Loved this, basically Blood on steroids. Definitely picking up the full game on day one (which I hope won't just be Early Access)
  • :messenger_fire: Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer: Despite the on-the-nose name and visuals this kind of blew me away in terms of level design and overall polish. A boomer shooter in its purest form.
  • Moonscars: Just seemed very lacklustre, especially in the audio design department (no voice over or even basic sound FX for text). Couldn't get past a wall so I just quit after not even 5 minutes.
  • :messenger_fire: Anger Foot: Utterly mental. Hotline Miami x SUPERHOT x Sneaker Head sensibilities. Now, I'm no sneaker head but I might become one after playing this. Another instant-cult-classic by the people over at Devolver Digital (they're the publisher I know but they basically do most of the work anyway, they're a bit like a humanitarian organisation, really).
  • RIPOUT: Awful performance and even worse feeling gunplay. Seemed very subpar overall and I'd rather just play Doom or Dead Space instead.
  • Brotato: If you like Vampire Survivors or 20 Minutes 'Till Dawn then you can do no wrong with Brotato. Something I'll pick up if it's in the same price range as the other two mentioned.
  • Agent 64: Spies Never Die: Promising but will have to do more than merely play up the nostalgia factor. Could be great if they add more contemporary features.
  • HypeSquad: A MOBA fighter (like Bleeding Edge) that seems very polished but ultimately impenetrable for me. Uninstalled after playing 2 minutes of a live match.
  • Perish: Needs a ton more work. Performance was poor, movement felt really bad and overall just didn't do it for me. A big disappointment as it was on my radar since day one but after playing the demo I've actually gone and removed it from my wishlist. Hope they can improve things though.
  • Peglin: A Roguelike Peggle sounds great on paper however after playing the demo it didn't grab me whatsoever. It might not be a bad game but it seems far too cheap in presentation and UI to justify the its rather high asking price. Quickly turned it off after a few minutes.
Gotta love Valve for hosting and supporting these demo festivals. Really brings back the golden years of PC gaming where pretty much every game had a trial/demo version. Going to be trying out a ton more later.

Last edited:
Selaco will be sick if they can get the performance to acceptable levels. It runs like shit and I'm on 3080.
Really? I’m running on a 1440p screen at maximum settings and pulling way over 120fps with a 3080.

I mean, in the context of what the game is running on (GZDOOM) I should be getting probably 1000fps but it’s playable for me, no problem.

It’s funny because they make you tick a statement confirming you understand the product isn’t finished yet and may be unoptimised, that was really bizzare and unnecessary in my opinion.

Wildebeest

Metal: Hellsinger: Very well done, from the title sequence on I thought this was a great fantasy, but I can't play rhythm games very well at all and don't much enjoy that genre of metal.
Orx: Saw this trailer more than once in the expos. Mishmash of Carcassonne, deck builders and modern defence rts type games. Don't know if it is greater than the sum of parts.
Dome Keeper: A fun arcade take on a traditional 2d type mining game but with an upgrade tree. Reminds me of Kingdom Two Crowns, but more frantic and perhaps with less depth.
Sexy Mystic Survivors: Yep. I'd probably play more of this.

Pantz

It's anime style Slay the Spire. The presentation is super clean. Don't write it off. It's a Day 1 for me.

CitizenZ

Banned
If you played Stalker Anomoly mod and have been wondering what would happen if they put this in Minecraft. Well, they did. It could easily release tomorrow. Its amazing, I played for 2hrs straight and easily will be putting in a ton more. Its an MMO, PvP, PvE but that name, terrible.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Trepang 2 is a huge letdown, I thought this was supposed to be in the vein of FEAR but I don't remember all the sneaking around in FEAR. Also you can only carry 2 weapons and some of them have limited ammo... then I picked up a silenced weapon and it told me I could shoot out lights to hide from enemies?????? HIDE? That's not fear was about. The developer has a case of gaming dyslexia, they don't understand what parts of FEAR the direct inspiration that made FEAR good.

Disappointed Star Wars GIF

Trepang 2 is a huge letdown, I thought this was supposed to be in the vein of FEAR but I don't remember all the sneaking around in FEAR. Also you can only carry 2 weapons and some of them have limited ammo... then I picked up a silenced weapon and it told me I could shoot out lights to hide from enemies?????? HIDE? That's not fear was about. The developer has a case of gaming dyslexia, they don't understand what parts of FEAR the direct inspiration that made FEAR good.

Disappointed Star Wars GIF
The only time you have to hide in Trepang is when you’re cuffed and trying to find a gun. After that it’s fucking nonstop explosions and bullets flying everywhere, crazy fun.

I do agree that the weapon limit should go though. It doesn’t make sense in a game like this.

jaysius

Banned
Cultic knows EXACTLY what it's supposed to do and does it so fucking well, I'm excited to play this one on release!

The game looks like it should, it has stupid interactables that even AAA games today don't have, but they're in there because WHY NOT, like you can hit "interact" on the typewriter and it makes it type, you can flush toilets... why? Who cares! It makes it feel like a lively world, even though it looks intentionally like dog shit, but good dog shit.

So far Cultic is the best game of this lot.

Tunned

I've had Midnight Fight Express on my wishlist for a while now, going to download the demo, looks amazing!
In another thread I said people should check out Tinykin, I loved the demo, going to get it once it comes out.

P.s. how do you guys post the nice steam links to the games?

Holammer

I've had Midnight Fight Express on my wishlist for a while now, going to download the demo, looks amazing!
In another thread I said people should check out Tinykin, I loved the demo, going to get it once it comes out.

P.s. how do you guys post the nice steam links to the games?
On the Steam store page, right click on the side and select 'copy page URL'.

Serianox

So far I've only played a couple of demos but these two got me interested:

Pretty much a Fire Emblem type of game that's a bit janky but might be worth a play. I remember playing a demo for it i think in the first next fest and it used to be way jankier than now with animations being smoother and voice acting for most things in the demo.

A choose your own adventure game that seems very interesting and in depth. Played it for a bit and decided to stop so i don't get too spoiled on the main release.

VN1X

Banned
Some more demos!

• Super Bullet Break: Turned it off after the first battle. Slay the Spire it ain't!
  • Trepang²: A lot has improved since the last time I played this. Performance is near perfect and the gunplay is just phenomenal. One thing I'm a bit torn on is the tone and structure as I don't really need player customization or a HUB area in this. I get that this started off as a passion project that just wanted to further the best bits of F.E.A.R. so stitching maps together like this is probably the best solution for an indie developer but yeah... most of this is stuff I'll leave completely by the wayside in order to get to the shooty bits. The first part of the campaign was incredibly monotonous and I just sprinted and slid through as much of the filler content as possible. The level design is about as uninteresting as it gets so hopefully the full game will feature less halways and more of the open areas seen in the demo later on. Despite some of the issues I'm still very eager to check out the full game!
  • :messenger_fire: Cult of the Lamb: A day one buy. No questions asked, just fantastic all around.
  • Beneath Oresa: Striking visuals, terrific animation, unique arstyle... Terrible everything else lol. Should've been right up my alley but nope. Got a vid going up later where I go into a bit more detail. But yeah, pass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom