• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM NEXT FEST is live with a load of good demos

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've had Midnight Fight Express on my wishlist for a while now, going to download the demo, looks amazing!
In another thread I said people should check out Tinykin, I loved the demo, going to get it once it comes out.

P.s. how do you guys post the nice steam links to the games?
Just posted about Tinykin and missed your mention. Just copy the store page link and it should appear as the embedded rectangle.

Last edited:

Pakoe

This is a good thread that includes solid recommendations. Will definitely try some out, already downloaded 21 demos.
Anger Foot is fucking great and Agent 64 plays okay. Seems like it has some major potential.

Holammer

As a certified snob I dug deep, all the way to my elbow and found some interesting nuggets.

2D pixel art arcade platformer similar in style and setting to Ninja Spirit, the art is sadly a bit anemic and is somewhere between a really good NES game or a shitty Megadrive one.

Detained looks like a sidescrolling fighting game, at first I was disappointed and bored because of the dialogue and storytelling, but it's actually a story rich life-sim, visual novel with choices & fighting game all rolled into one and it got pretty charming once it clicked. I don't fancy the budget Vanillaware rigged 2d animation, but it's good enough.
Designs are wildly exaggerated and pretty amazing, I bust a gut in a scene where the girls meet the school principal, just look at the size of his cigar. So the setting is delightfully turned to 11 with manly men and all the women rocking sweet tits.

2900E1982F23DD9980A4BFFF7E67227682C4B939

Panic Porcupine: It's Sonic, but levels are way shorter and more of a puzzle. Collect all the stuff as fast as possible
Brightseeker: Looks interesting, but it's clunky and failed to grab me. Turned it off after 5 minutes (oof!).
Master Key: Simple Zelda style game with monochrome graphics, not bad.
Gigabuster: Looks and feels like a phone app developer wanted to try making a "real game". Poor gameplay and whomever designed the interface should be flogged.

Also tried Nine Sols and Ghost Song after recommendations in this thread, both wishlisted. Quit playing Nine Sols after the "ceremony", man, I want to play that.

Pejo

As a certified snob I dug deep, all the way to my elbow and found some interesting nuggets.

Detained looks like a sidescrolling fighting game, at first I was disappointed and bored because of the dialogue and storytelling, but it's actually a story rich life-sim, visual novel with choices & fighting game all rolled into one and it got pretty charming once it clicked. I don't fancy the budget Vanillaware rigged 2d animation, but it's good enough.
Designs are wildly exaggerated and pretty amazing, I bust a gut in a scene where the girls meet the school principal, just look at the size of his cigar. So the setting is delightfully turned to 11 with manly men and all the women rocking sweet tits.

Gigabuster: Looks and feels like a phone app developer wanted to try making a "real game". Poor gameplay and whomever designed the interface should be flogged.

Also tried Nine Sols and Ghost Song after recommendations in this thread, both wishlisted. Quit playing Nine Sols after the "ceremony", man, I want to play that.
Detained looks really cool, definitely going to give a try after work.

Gigabuster reminded me of another interesting game,

It's essentially a metroidvania puzzle game where the sword is your weapon and also a hindrance, and you use it to solve puzzles. Promising demo but I wonder if they can keep it up for a whole game.

baphomet

I played a handful of them so far. Metal Hellsinger is definitely my favorite. Love fast fps and rhythm games. Watching a video of this I had expected it to be much harder to stay on time with everything, but I was pretty quickly getting like 50-60 hit combos.

Selaco is good, but goddamn that first section is terrible. I almost quit playing it trying to figure out what the hell they wanted me to do. Oh, so I AM supposed to just run out at the enemies with no weapon and randomly run into rooms. That shit is bad. Other than that it feels great.

Updating my Trepang 2 demo now. Truly one of my most anticipated games! I hope they can flesh out a nice 15 hour experience around this wonderful gameplay loop.

jaysius

Banned
Anger Foot is almost frustrating with a Mouse and Keyboard, the auto aim of the controller is almost required to run through the levels faster, if you played Anger Foot and hated it, try it with a controller, it changes the entire thing. It's meant for a controller.

This thread has been great, so far the best thing out of the entire demo lot has been Cultic and Anger Foot is good now that I've used a controller.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Selaco - Excellent although not quite what I expected. Maybe it's the difficulty I chose, but having to be really cautious and ADS constantly wasn't what I really expected. It was really good though I was just thinking it would play differently. 100% a buy on day 1 though.

BioCrisis : Return 2 the Lab - This is an on-rails shooter with light gun support. I used mouse and meh, I thought this was pretty boring. I was looking quite forward to it as well, but it just felt so drab and slow.

Hellscreen - Another one I've had my eye on for a while. I was not really feeling this one. Being able to shoot behind you is neat and having the rear view mirror is cool but all together I thought it didn't feel right. Did not like the art style at all either.

Agent 64 - I love and grew up with Goldeneye but I've never wanted to go back and play it, not even for nostalgia sake. Agent 64 didn't do it for me either.

Signalis - Interesting mechanics in this survival-horror game. On the fence about this one but it was certainly different.

Ghost Song - Great art, did not like the overheating mechanics of the gun. Game seemed kind of lifeless to me. This one has been on my wishlist for so long I didn't even think it was being made anymore. At one point the dev was a neogaf member.

Midnight Fight Express - This beat'em up has crazy potential. I definitely enjoyed my time with the demo. It starts out a little simple but I can see the skill trees really mixing things up as you progress.

Cult of the Lamb - Pleasantly surprised about this. I didn't know it was going to be a base building thing which I'm not to keen on. Still looking forward to it.

CULTIC - Best demo.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
any demos steam deck compatible?
I played a few and were good. But yesterday some like Anger Foot and a couple others gave an error when trying to download (like 'no license' error)
Beneath Oresa was pretty cool. Played well. Gave me 'Slay the Spire' vibes but in 3D and with guns.

Last edited:

Pakoe

Anger Foot is almost frustrating with a Mouse and Keyboard, the auto aim of the controller is almost required to run through the levels faster, if you played Anger Foot and hated it, try it with a controller, it changes the entire thing. It's meant for a controller.

This thread has been great, so far the best thing out of the entire demo lot has been Cultic and Anger Foot is good now that I've used a controller.
Really? I had no issues with kbm, completed the demo just fine.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Brotato- Vampire Survivors clone with Isaac art style plus loads of guns. Not a fan of this new genre but it plays nicely.
Cultic- It was great when I played it at previous "nextfest", highly recommend it. Unofficial Blood sequel(maybe even better).
Selaco- Gunplay feels great but I got lost in first level(firs time in years). It's not a good sign for me(or my IQ :messenger_pensive: ).
Anger Foot- I played this with zero expectancy. It looks uninteresting in trailers. But it was a very cool game. Feels like Hotline in first person, like others have said. Added it to my wishlist. Mouse and keyboard feels fine btw.
Metal-Hellsinger-- I couldn't open it. It gave me an error about Unity. If I remember correctly, they released a demo at previous "nextfest" too and it was awful back then.
Tinykin- It was great at previous "nextfest". Everyone talks about pikmin and overlord similarities but it has some cool platforming ideas too.
Trepang 2- Gameplay is awesome(bullet time+shotgun) but I'm not sure about story and level design. I couldn't play more than one mission. I will wait for reviews.
Nine Sols- I love the art style. It has cool cinematics. But it was japanese and first few minutes were too long and boring so I will wait for reviews and gameplay videos on this one too.

drotahorror

This was cool. A "Punch-Out!!" inspired game. The core mechanics are ok, but there's just something that feels off.

This makes me question why we don't get more Punch-Out!! inspired games though.

This was a good one! It's missing sound effects or something. The art is AMAZING. Really looking forward to hopefully a more polished full release.

Holammer

Nine Sols- I love the art style. It has cool cinematics. But it was japanese and first few minutes were too long and boring so I will wait for reviews and gameplay videos on this one too.
It's Chinese, find the settings screen and poke around a little, you might find the language options.

Tried a few more games, including a dungeon crawler that turned out to be a hentai game, it took me 10 minutes to figure it out when I found weird abilities in the character stats page. It was kinda shit, so let's skip that for this good Christian forum.

Naiad is a relax 'em up where you control a water nymph swimming. Games as art type of thing, but I enjoyed it.

✨⭐✨ It's a pixel art Spelunky! Where you control a married couple on a vacation gone horribly wrong. Very charming design and good mechanically. I quit and wishlisted if after I completed the tutorial. I expect great things from this.
The guy totally looks like Guru Larry and the woman like Jucika.

jaysius

Banned
Tinykin is what Pikmin never was or could be, it's proven so many of the bad mechanics like the stupid forced short sessions are dumb and unneeded. Indie do what Nintendon't, I really could care less about Pikmin after playing this superior version of the niche genre.

The world is lively and full of fun characters and beautiful colors, the Tinykin themselves are great, the exploration is fun...

This is only an ALPHA an it ran smooth as butter on my 5700g potato! It looked amazing too.

If you're a Pikmin fan you need to try out Tinykin.

We just need someone to make a Metroid Prime series and then we can put that old bitch out to pasture once and for all, shameful company IP squating and releasing over priced underbaked ports of old projects.

VN1X

Banned
  • Metal: Hellsinger: Was incredibly excited about this one but unfortunately the demo left a very bad taste in my mouth and apparently I'm not alone. The performance, even on the lowest settings, is absolutely woeful. The visuals are nice but definitely not at the level where they should impact performance this much. That being said I don't think the gameplay itself was for me either. I'm big Metalhead but I think I'd rather just play Doom with Winamp blasting my favourite tunes in the background instead.

• Wigged Out: We did a 3-player session that lasted a whole 2 minutes before we realized it was just really poor and low effort. Maybe it will be something for the streamer crowd but for us it was a hard pass.

• Indies' Lies: After playing it I'm surprised to see this sit at a positive rating on Steam as I struggle to see its redeeming features. Especially when you put it next to Slay the Spire, a game it seems to borrow heavily from, it pales in comparison. So unless you really needed anime waifus in your deck-building roguelike then I wouldn't bother. Quickly removed from my wishlist.

• :messenger_fire: Turbo Golf Racing: Loved this. It's pretty much Rocket League with golf and they really nailed the execution. The presentation's vibrant without becoming messy or garish. The controls, while not as intuitive as RL (at first), are responsive & snappy and have you race and fly across the fairway with little issue. It's probably my favourite demo of NEXT FEST so far which is crazy as it wasn't even on my radar before! This'll be an easy day one buy and I'll be checking out the demo a lot more this week as well. I highly recommend you give it a whirl even if it doesn't seem like something you'd enjoy (the demo features solo and multiplayer modes but I'm not sure if you can get together with friends in private lobbies though).

• Cursed to Golf: This was something I did have on my radar and also really wanted to like. Unfortunately even after the slog of a tutorial the game still felt very slow and cumbersome to play. The par mechanic seems like a nice idea in terms of balancing but you're pretty much SOL if you've hit a few shots wrong and are also out of Ace Cards or other ways of increasing your shot count. The constant teleport animation after ever swing got really old fast and the fact that you can't insta-restart after you know you can't win the Hole anyway made me ALT+F4 soon enough. Maybe if they can address some of the quality of life issues it'll be worth checking out. Until then it's another one removed from my wishlist!

• There Is No Light: An interesting, somewhat story heavy action RPG that doesn't really work well as a demo in my opinion but still left me intrigued (you're basically playing a big portion of the game's intro it seems so you really want to take your time with it). It has a strong art style which, combined with the detailed presentation, doesn't always translate well into letting you distinguish the playable areas from the background (although that could be something that you just have to get used to). The combat seems relatively basic but there's nothing inherently wrong with that. It features a lot of customization as far as the different weapons and skill tree goes and outside of the action it seems mostly exploration-driven. All in all very decent and one I'll definitely keep an eye on!

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
  • Metal: Hellsinger: Was incredibly excited about this one but unfortunately the demo left a very bad taste in my mouth and apparently I'm not alone. The performance, even on the lowest settings, is absolutely woeful. The visuals are nice but definitely not at the level where they should impact performance this much. That being said I don't think the gameplay itself was for me either. I'm big Metalhead but I think I'd rather just play Doom with Winamp playing my favourite tunes in the background instead.

• Wigged Out: We did a 3-player session that lasted a whole 2 minutes before we realized it was just really poor and low effort. Maybe it will be big among streamers but for us it was a hard pass.

• Indies' Lies: After playing it I'm surprised to see this sit at a positive rating on Steam as I honestly struggle to see any redeeming features for it. Especially when you put it next to Slay the Spire, a game it seems to borrow heavily from. It honestly pales in comparison and unless you really needed anime waifus in your deck-building roguelike then I don't know who this is for. Quickly removed from my wishlist.

• :messenger_fire:Turbo Golf Racing: Loved this. It's pretty much Rocket League with golf and they really nailed the execution. The presentation's vibrant without becoming messy or garish and the controls, while not as intuitive as RL (at first), are really responsive and snappy to boot. It's probably my favourite demo of NEXT FEST so far which is crazy as it wasn't even on my radar before! This'll be an easy day one buy and I'll be checking out the demo a lot more this week as well. I highly recommend you give it a whirl even if it doesn't seem like something you'd enjoy at first glance (the demo features solo and multiplayer modes but I'm not sure if you can get together with friends in private lobbies though).

• Cursed to Golf: This was something I did have on my radar and also really wanted to like. Unfortunately even after the slog of a tutorial the game still felt very slow and cumbersome to play. The par mechanic seems like a nice idea in terms of balancing but you're pretty much SOL if you've hit a few shots wrong and are also out of Ace Cards or other ways of increasing your shot count. The constant teleport animation after ever swing got really old fast and the fact that you can't insta-restart after you know you can't win the Hole anyway made me ALT+F4 soon enough. Maybe if they can address some of the quality of life issues it'll be worth checking out. Until then it's another one removed from my wishlist!

• There Is No Light: An interesting, somewhat story heavy action RPG that doesn't really work well as a demo in my opinion but still left me intrigued (you're basically playing a big portion of the game's intro it seems so you really want to take your time with it). It has a strong art style which, combined with the detailed presentation overall, doesn't always translate well into letting you distinguish the playable areas from the background. Although that could be something that you just have to get used to. The combat seems relatively basic but not that there's anything wrong with that. It features a lot of customization as far as the different weapons and skill tree goes and outside of the combat it seems mostly exploration-driven. All in all very decent and one I'll definitely keep an eye on!

I really like the idea of cursed golf, however, after playing a few rounds the levels became too much the same go all the way to the right, work yourself back to the left, repeat. Hopefully they address that issue because I like the loop, look and challenge.

drotahorror

Trepang2 - The fear inspired FPS that a lot of people are excited for. Pretty solid, I thought the levels were pretty unremarkable, not very detailed at all. Combat was fun.

Deadlink - an FPS roguelite with lots of mobility and build customization. I had a good time with this, I will more than likely get this day 1.

The Tarnishing of Juxtia - Metroidvania souls-like I guess. I feel like this genre has a pretty rough time for a demo. It's really got to hook me from the start and this one didn't do that. Kind of like a cheap looking Dead Cells.

I also checked out Anger Foot (great art but the gameplay doesn't do much for me). And, Beyond Sunset, a retro FPS i had on my wishlist for a while. I think a demo has been out already. Didn't care much for it.

CitizenZ

Banned
Game comes out next month and probably shortest demo I have played but it looks and plays great.

I dont know what it is but I love this game. Ive been playing this demo on and off for 6 months now? Very challenging and I just like the crawl.

Wildebeest

This retro immersive sim feels good to play so far. Seems to be taking the more stealth is viable approach than a capital letter stealth game route.

This turn based mars colony sim is going a roguelike "no backsies" route. Can't say I love it, but it is compelling.

This is more like a stress relief toy than anything, but maybe that is fine. Sadly, the "gacha" does not use a real money pay to win currency.

Last edited:
Glad to see there's more VR games added this year. So far I've tried

Grid Leaper: Concept is simple, get to the other side of the map by climbing or skilly yeeting yourself across the map. I played this demo a lot trying to get 5 star rating and beating par time.

Requisition: Co-op VR survival game, anything you find in the world can be built together and used as weapons. Also great to dick around with your friends.

Punji VR: A basic tactical shooter sat in the Vietnam era. Got bored of it rather quickly, shooting felt OK but the scale of the guns felt way too big.

Paradox of Hope: It's metro with STALKER gameplay mechanics. Wasn't too blown away, poor performance even on a RTX 2070 Super and the demo ended after the tutorial mission. If you want a good STALKER like game, check out Into The Radius VR.

Maestro VR: ORCHESTRA HERO DUDE!!!!! (I downloaded this for a laugh.. I enjoyed it)

Kayak VR: Mirage: It's a kayaking game but quite relaxing, visuals are beautiful.

VN1X

Banned
Almost forgot but I ended up trying out a total of 16 demos ("or more" according to the badge) with a few more installed, which I assume I still have access to:

Fabular: Once upon a Spacetime Demo: Nope. I really like the concept, the art, presentation, etc. All top notch but I didn't realize there was so much faffing about. Maybe this will be one I'll revisit for the 1.0 version but I really wasn't in the mood for a dialogue heavy, almost Visual Novelesque shenanigans and inventory management. Maybe some other time.
Dome Keeper: This was super interesting and intuitive to play. You basically just mine resources (manually) to upgrade your dome to fend off alien attacks. Real straight forward concept but very addictive. I would've played more but would rather save my playtime for the full game. Definitely glad I tried it out as it made a really good first impression.
Selaco: Need I say more? Utterly fantastic in every way possible. I could wax lyrical about it for ages but all I will say is that even if you're a casual fan of FPS games you owe it to yourself to give it a whirl. It's DOOM meets FEAR meets Metroid Prime meets Duke Nukem (in terms of interactivity with the level props). Loved it.
Nine Sols: Defaulted to Chinese language so I had no clue how to change it. Played it for a bit and didn't seem half bad. However unless it comes out to raving reviews I'd rather just play Ori or any of many other stylized metroidvanias I still have in my backlog.
Alina of the Arena: Sometimes when you see a game on Steam, watch the trailer, check out the screenshots, etc it can look appealing. But then when you actually play it for yourself and see the game running natively it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. This was such a game for me. Presentation ended up as rather poor and the gameplay itself didn't really do anything for me either. Once again I'll just stick to Monster Train, Sly the Spire, Phobies, etc.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Almost forgot but I ended up trying out a total of 16 demos ("or more" according to the badge) with a few more installed, which I assume I still have access to:

Fabular: Once upon a Spacetime Demo: Nope. I really like the concept, the art, presentation, etc. All top notch but I didn't realize there was so much faffing about. Maybe this will be one I'll revisit for the 1.0 version but I really wasn't in the mood for a dialogue heavy, almost Visual Novelesque shenanigans and inventory management. Maybe some other time.
Dome Keeper: This was super interesting and intuitive to play. You basically just mine resources (manually) to upgrade your dome to fend off alien attacks. Real straight forward concept but very addictive. I would've played more but would rather save my playtime for the full game. Definitely glad I tried it out as it made a really good first impression.
Selaco: Need I say more? Utterly fantastic in every way possible. I could wax lyrical about it for ages but all I will say is that even if you're a casual fan of FPS games you owe it to yourself to give it a whirl. It's DOOM meets FEAR meets Metroid Prime meets Duke Nukem (in terms of interactivity with the level props). Loved it.
Nine Sols: Defaulted to Chinese language so I had no clue how to change it. Played it for a bit and didn't seem half bad. However unless it comes out to raving reviews I'd rather just play Ori or any of many other stylized metroidvanias I still have in my backlog.
Alina of the Arena: Sometimes when you see a game on Steam, watch the trailer, check out the screenshots, etc it can look appealing. But then when you actually play it for yourself and see the game running natively it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. This was such a game for me. Presentation ended up as rather poor and the gameplay itself didn't really do anything for me either. Once again I'll just stick to Monster Train, Sly the Spire, Phobies, etc.

I put 9 hrs into Dome Keeper only playing on Brutal and finally was able to win. For a while I thought it was unfair and it could use some enemy tweaks, but that tractor beam seemed to be a must. Its the example of perfect game loop like Vampire Survivors, game play, game play, game play.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Well. I'm done buying. Most games I got for playing on Steam Deck some are approved others have work arounds.

New World
V Rising
Tales of Arise
KingdomCome
MetalGear Rising
Black Desert - 99cents for kicks
Wizard Legend
Vanquish

Top Bottom