• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

K4ses0G.gif

Somebody should explent to Bethesda what are shadows XD
The actual weird thing is, not all is bad! it is just incoherent fidelity. Very weird. Makes me think it's them hitting walls constantly because of engine.

Either way, it won't make any difference is its success. People don't buy these games for their visual fluff.

Ruruja

I've been playing Outlast quite a bit today, yet my steam has no history of me playing it.

Is this an issue with this game or is steam being weird? I just relaunched the game and now it says I've played it for 0.0hrs, previously it didn't show up on my profile or anything.

Hektor

Mhm, dunno if i want to continue Lisa, 40 minutes in and the game didnt do nothing for me yet, despite it beeing supposedly exactly my taste.

zkylon

zkylewd
I wish more people could share the same thought as you but there's seems to be many people that, for some odd reason, feel the need to justify their purchases weather if it's a console or a expensive graphic card.

The focus about resolutions and other things sometimes reaches to a bigger discussion than for the game itself which is worrying. I'm not sure if this is because some people are way to0 insecure and in order for them to feel better about themselves or the recently purchased hardware they need to tell everyone how much superior they feel or how much inferior the other user is. I actually feel a bit sad for them.
eh, too much psychoanalyzing

ppl sometimes are dumb, no need to feel sorry for them or think they have low self steem or whatever

also imo beauty is not a matter of aliasing, so i never understood why ppl care so much about how straight a bunch of lines are.

ahh i'm not gonna play this for a while i guess

inm8num2

Bummer that I did one refund in the summer (no playtime, just wanted to repurchase the game w/ another in a package for slightly cheaper per title) and that means I still have the 2-hour delay for card drops. I hope Valve removes the restriction altogether, at least for games not even eligible for refunds (e.g. bundle keys).

A bit of AO here, a bit of ENB there, some high-def models, ultra-sharp textures painted on top and bam! Fans will make FO4 surely a looker in no time!

Just look at vanilla Skyrim and heavily modded Skyrim! Difference is extreme. This should be rather compared to vanilla Skyrim to understand what fans will make the "ultimate version" of FO4.

dex3108

A bit of AO here, a bit of ENB there, some high-def models, ultra-sharp textures painted on top and bam! Fans will make FO4 surely a looker in no time!

Just look at vanilla Skyrim and heavily modded Skyrim! Difference is extreme. This should be rather compared to vanilla Skyrim to understand what fans will make the "ultimate version" of FO4.

That will take at least 1 year (right on time for next winter sale XD)

Jawmuncher

I think the point is that fans shouldn't have to make up for Bethesda

Maniac

Banned
nah don't worry, i just meant like ppl in general, not you

it's just that the pc master race rabbit hole is not a place u wanna end up, let's celebrate great games everywhere etc...

guess you have a point, my poor argie butt only has a 24" tv :>

but yeah, only thing i see from those screens is better color palette and probably better animations. anything else will be ok on pc

yea good idea, tho that site is not always on point

Aww, poor argie butt. I agree though, better, smoother animations for sure, and a much better colour palette and general style (and also no crappy green filter like in FO3) makes it look a lot better, but still not up-to-par for 2015. Especially not running at 30 FPS at what looks like sub-1080 upscaled.

And I agree, it's not always on-point. It kind of was now, though? It showed Gamesplanet having the game the cheapest, but also displayed a voucher that made it 6 pounds cheaper on another site, but that wasn't listed as the cheapest because... That would be too damn logical.

Welp, welp, welp.

Looks like I am officially on the MGSV:pP planet now. Thank you my good friend and sorry as well. You are a good human being.

Fallout 3 GOTY is €3.39 from Amazon.de but I can't seem to buy it as I'm in the UK and I've used up the daily uses of FlyVPN. Would anyone from SteamGaf DE be able to buy it for me and I'll send the money via PayPal?

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00CFJ8YKM/

Edit: It's the low violence version so I'm out but maybe someone else will find this useful.

Maniac

Banned

Worse shadows than Oblivion's pre-release stuff showed off.

... Did that game ever release with dynamic shadows? I can't quite remember. If it did, it had better shadows than this, which would be embarrassing.
Yup, lighting looks flat. Wikipedia says it's "nextgen" only, so I can't see why it is so ugly. Engine must be limiting factor. Shame they didn't opt for something else.

It's been in development for quite a long time, and you can clearly see it was created for the last gen, and not the new-gen. Last-gen was ditched due to the steep decline in sales, but the game hasn't been improved enough to warrant the "new-gen only" hype.

And ofcourse Gamebryo is bloody arse for this type of game (It's a respectable, capable little engine, otherwise!) and Bethesda's quite... Terrible when it comes to the technicals.
Wouldn't be surprised if at some point it was meant to be cross-gen.

Pretty sure it wasn't even cross-gen to begin with, but last-gen only. It started development well before the big two had told anyone anything about the 'next' gen.

Maniac

Banned

You saying this also made me realise how lackluster some of the meshes are...

Damn Beth, why you gotta be like dis.
The actual weird thing is, not all is bad! it is just incoherent fidelity. Very weird. Makes me think it's them hitting walls constantly because of engine.

Either way, it won't make any difference is its success. People don't buy these games for their visual fluff.

Agreed. Some stuff has nice-looking PBR materials applied, but the vast majority of objects in the scene seem to be lacking it, then there's the inconsistent LOD, the lack of ANY KIND of long-range shadows (atleast have low-res approximations you lazy wankers), the lack of AO and contact-shadows, on-model shadows and the incredible inconsistency in lighting due to the afore-mentioned inconsistent use of PBR.

It looks a tad wank in a few ways, but I imagine it'll be a looker on PC if Bethesda include a proper, thorough HD-texture pack this time around. If not, modding it to look great wont take many months.
I think the point is that fans shouldn't have to make up for Bethesda

That'll never stop being the case, I fear.

dex3108

Yes, and they're bloody well terrifying. The last moments of someones life forever-ingrained into a wall or a floor? Absolutely horrifying and terribly fascinating, imo.

... And used to great effect in the Metro games.

Maybe Bethesda was scared so much so they removed all shadows from the game XD

zkylon

zkylewd
Mhm, dunno if i want to continue Lisa, 40 minutes in and the game didnt do nothing for me yet, despite it beeing supposedly exactly my taste.
yeah, didn't grab me as much as i hoped it would either

i feel like a bit less clunky and difficult it'd work really well as a story thing, but it's often unfair and often just annoying to go through, and it's an already deliberately unpleasant game to play, so yeah, hard to love for me

Aww, poor argie butt. I agree though, better, smoother animations for sure, and a much better colour palette and general style (and also no crappy green filter like in FO3) makes it look a lot better, but still not up-to-par for 2015. Especially not running at 30 FPS at what looks like sub-1080 upscaled.
it's a beth fallout game, i'm gonna hate it anyways

but cant deny it looked pretty on those videos

The_Monk

I just finished Red Faction Armageddon as well the Path to War DLC, here my small impressions if anyone is interested:

Steam Review: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198043835726/recommended/55110/

The story of Red Faction Armageddon can be easy to forget as it strikes as something bland without many surprises aside from a couple of plot twists moments a bit of love here or there and many, many explosions. However, while many games have a deep narrative with a strong storyline Red Faction is worth a play, especially for a nice fill if you are looking to relax and play something easy-to-follow with a love for destruction (and construction). Just like many movies, there are the ones that you can’t wait to go to the cinema and watch it while others you just stumble while zapping on your TV in a lazy Sunday. Red Faction Armageddon is the latter but by any means does this means that it was not an enjoyable experience. Despite being short my time with the game was worth my time investment. In under 6-7 hours I finished the main story and I was happy with the ending although I wish it could have lasted me a bit more.

The bigger fun factor has to be all the destruction and the variety of weapons. While I got stuck in the geometry a couple of times after destroying things, nothing like make use of my hammer with the combination of the reconstruction ability to get out of a mess of concrete wall that just crumbled on my feet. From sending grenades and then hit “detonate” to sticking enemies in the walls there is a bit of everything for any gun lover. Assault Rifles and Shotguns are also present in the game but considering the satisfaction from shooting the other weapons these tend to be forgotten through most of my play through.

Besides the standard shooting the enemy with said weapons, some vehicles will be at your disposal during certain missions. These will be armored vehicles to destroy the enemy and can be driven by land or air however, the sound effects felt a bit poor when firing some missiles or other bigger weapons. The visuals are nothing out of the ordinary but considering the time the game was released (2011) my experience in 2015 was not diminished by this, it was all about destroying and exploding things from start to finish and overall I can say it was a positive experience. If you have a little time to spend on something to play in little chunks of time without having to worry about complex systems or controls I would recommend giving Red Faction Armageddon a fair chance. You can play the game in short bursts since it provides a gentle checkpoint system.

Steam Review: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198043835726/recommended/55115/

It may be hard to judge Path to War DLC without mentioning the ration between its price and length. While you can have fun with a short experience game or DLC, Path to War feels really short giving more of the same which can be good if all you want is more Red Faction Armageddon but otherwise, a strong sale for this piece of DLC would be the best advice one could give.

In the short time that you will be playing Path to War you will have two new weapons to try it out and I can honestly say that they are as enjoyable as the others in the main game, nevertheless, with so little time to play with these it’s hard to be more excited about sticking enemies on the wall.

If all you want Is more single-player oriented missions, some of them with controlled vehicles while others with just you versus enemies you may consider getting this DLC. It was fun and worth my time just like the main game but with a price point like that it’s hard to recommend it without advising for a decent price drop.

As always I'm sorry for the lack of a better English vocabulary.

Fallout 4 PS4 Screens thread is amazing XD

There are people who are claiming that game looks really good XD
I mean its not pretty but its not THAT ugly. What did people expect when theyre still using that shitty engine of theirs? The lack of shadows are pretty bad tho
Yup, lighting looks flat. Wikipedia says it's "nextgen" only, so I can't see why it is so ugly. Engine must be limiting factor. Shame they didn't opt for something else.
Veggie why you chatting? Your pc cant even run the game anyway.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Red Faction Armageddon was a weird one for me. As I was playing it through the first time, I was like "well, this is kinda cliche, the levels are too linear, the story sucks, and it's just such a smaller game than Red Faction Armageddon Guerrilla *meh*"... but then I beat it... and then played it again... and then beat it again... and then played it again... and then beat it again... and then bought Path to War for something resembling full price and played that... and then played through the Horde mode... and then played it online... and before I knew it, I guess I had to admit that I thought it was a pretty good game after all.

Confession of a mid-range PC owner.

I'm okay with those Fallout 4 screens, because the uglier it is the more likely my PC will be able to run it okay.

The_Monk

Red Faction Armageddon was a weird one for me. As I was playing it through the first time, I was like "well, this is kinda cliche, the levels are too linear, the story sucks, and it's just such a smaller game than Red Faction Armageddon *meh*"... but then I beat it... and then played it again... and then beat it again... and then played it again... and then beat it again... and then bought Path to War for something resembling full price and played that... and then played through the Horde mode... and then played it online... and before I knew it, I guess I had to admit that I thought it was a pretty good game after all.

That why I tried to make a comparison between those movies you are hyped to go see on day one and those that you just happen to find out (I may have failed at this explanation). In the end, I had a good time with it and was worth my time. I haven't tried the online portion but I agree with everything else you mentioned.

For reference, I haven't played the Red Faction Guerrilla. I might purchase on a sale in the future to see how it holds to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom