• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steaming Vs Theater? What do you prefer now?

What kind of movie experience do you like nowadays after taste of Day 1 on stream availability

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TrueLegend

In light of The Green Knight Theatrical only release, I am curious about how do people feel about the traditional way of releasing films. PS. Well sorry for typo i guess

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'd take the first HBO option, but it's not financially viable long term. Of the viable options, I'm only willing to pay to go to a movie theater, I'm not paying $30+ for the exact same experience I can have for free (ish) a couple of months later.

Depends on the movie, still i preffer going to theaters with friends. If i'm not THAT excited about movie I'll watch it on netflix or torrent.

I like going to a theater WHILE it's steaming hot outside. The smells of the overweight people really make the experience so much better.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Because of covid i must go with Jack Sparrow option but always payback for that by purchasing the brdvd latter on

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

I go to Jack Sparrow Sites so I dont care

tenor.gif

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I have a 65 inch UHD LG CX TV, and a 7.1 Dolby atmos soundbar.

Cinemas are overpriced, full of stanky humans, showing mostly poor movies, and miles from my house.

What do you think?

(having said that I’ll be there for first screening of The Batman - but that’s about it).

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Depends on the movie I guess. For most movies, I'm ok streaming them at home. There are maybe a handful of movies that I would still want the big screen experience. Top Gun is the next movie that I definitely want to see in the theater.

lachesis

I just wait until it's available on digital. While I enjoyed theater visiting (often by myself) - but I like watching it on my own pace.
Having an old bladder (and probably some psychological issues too) that it seems like I always have to go to bathroom in the middle of the movie no matter what I do. :(

Quasicat

That Jack Sparrow number surprises me a little bit. I wasn’t expecting it to be so high. That being said, I have the full movie experience at home. Once the kids and wife go to bed, I turn off all of the lights and put on the surround headphones. It’s better than any theater experience as I hate dealing with people.

Excess

No choice for "Yo ho ho"?

I have a 65 inch UHD LG CX TV, and a 7.1 Dolby atmos soundbar.

Cinemas are overpriced, full of stanky humans, showing mostly poor movies, and miles from my house.

What do you think?

(having said that I’ll be there for first screening of The Batman - but that’s about it).

I don't know, there's still something about an old cinema experience, but much of this more nostalgic than anything. Smelling the popcorn and hearing the 35mm film crackle and pop is unlike anything else.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

whats with the poll options? should have just been - 1.) theatre or 2.) streaming

its all over the place and now everyone is just going for the joke answer lmao

KrakenIPA

whats with the poll options? should have just been - 1.) theatre or 2.) streaming

its all over the place and now everyone is just going for the joke answer lmao
WTF is going on with that poll lmao OP works at the DMV confirmed.

The correct answer is whynotboth.gif

Last edited:

Keihart

What is steaming? Is it like watching movies on a sauna or is it a really small room without AC and lots of people in ti?

KAL2006

Banned
I'm gonna miss these quick releases I don't give a shit about theatres. Since I bought my 65 inch Sony and have Kodi preinstalled as it's got android I've been enjoying watching a ton of shit without spending money.

Kilau

Gold Member
I haven’t been to a theater since Mad Max. Very few movies interest me enough to deal with the hassle and expense.

Dune probably would have got me but I can stream that on the new 75” TV and I’ll be happy.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I really wanted to watch Green knight in theatre but unfortunately they are closed here.
I love theater experience. It just can't be replicated at home IMO. While it's certainly the size of the screen and the sound etc to a certain extent, it's so much more. It's the social aspect- the planning and preparation with friends, the excitement, the sharing of experience with 100s others, the food and munching and even roaming/shopping in the mall before or after. Just great.
And when the movie is really good, then you must watch in in theater anyway, like an Interstellar or Mad max fury road.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Movies I want to see and are big and splashy I want to see in a theatre.

Movies I dont really care about or are a mafia or drama movie, I can wait for NF. If it never comes to NF, then dont care. Wont watch it.

Zero interest in day one $30 streaming when a single movie ticket is about $15.

Last edited:

Dark Star

I go to the movies all the time and the novelty has definitely worn off. I've seen every major release from the last 3 months, and today I saw Old with a few friends. Some of these flicks aren't worth the theater experience, but if you love spending money on cinema, go for it. I sure enjoy it.

I personally am thinking about starting a small blu-ray collection. I don't use streaming services (or at least pay for them), but I sometimes sign into my family's accounts to see what's up. I think services like Netflix are better for the exclusive shows and original movies, the 3rd party movie selection is an afterthought.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

The theatrical window is unnecessary just give people the choice. Some people will go to theaters some will stay at home and there are certain types of films that frankly don’t need a theatrical release at all and probably get to be more edgy without it.

dr_octagon

Banned
convenience is great but i don't have imax at home. it's the experience which makes it worthwhile, especially with good films. it is a more personal experience. it doesn't apply to all films ofc, Mad Max Fury Road for example needs the biggest screen possible.

Keihart

Haven't go to theaters since the start of COVID19 and i do miss them.
It's really not the same as watching a movie at home and it was always a good excuse to meet up with a friends.

TrueLegend

Yeah i watched Spiderman in theaters and most of the night scenes looked awful, not to mention the finale is also shot in night.

Fraludio

Neo Member
I have a nice tv, a nice sound system, and all the snacks I want at home.

I'm never ever going back to the theater with their overpriced garbage, their sub-standard screen and audio calibration and unpolite people.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Every theater within almost 100 miles of me has been closed since Feb of last year. Streaming is pretty much synonymous with movies to me now.

A movie like The Green Knight may as well not exist in my universe until it hits streaming.

Billbofet

I have a pretty nice setup at home, but I see myself heading to the theater a couple times a year for select movies. Maybe Dune will get me back in a theater - not much else I see looks like it's worth the time or effort.
Perhaps the next Bond movie when it finally hits theaters in 2029. I still miss the experience and I would normally go with my best friends, so I miss that more than the actual movies themselves.
We rented a swanky theater last year for the kids to watch Jurassic Park. It was pretty neat and surreal to be able to pause a movie at a theater, but it was maybe 18% cooler than just doing it at home with my projector.

Fbh

My town doesn't have a movie theater and the nearest one is almost 700 km away.
So whichever option lets me watch movies at home sooner.

DKehoe

Anthony Anderson Reaction GIF

how did you feel about the ending? i never have anyone to talk about it with
Loved it!

BoJack dying was something that had been hinted towards throughout the show and it's how a lot of people expected things to end. The View From Halfway Down is an amazing episode and they could have ended it on that. But I think having him live on is the bolder, less easy choice. Like Diane says, "sometimes life's a bitch and then you keep living." The people in Bojack's life, Diane, Todd, Princess Caroline and Hollyhock (...Mister Peanutbutter not so much lol), grow and move on with their lives by making the changes they need. But BoJack lets himself continue to be stuck in the same loop. Like the projects he worked on earlier in the show, he's making The Horny Unicorn as a way to seek validation and asking Princess Caroline to be his agent after he gets out of prison because even after everything he's gone through he can't break himself away from that life. He even imagined Princess Caroline's wedding playing out like some sitcom episode premise where he steps in and gets to be the hero. But it's not like that because she's got her shit together and is happy with who she is.

Todd and Bojack talking on the beach was also a nice sort of meta discussion of the show as a whole. That art is about what people take away from it. The people making it may provide smart insight sometimes, they may sound silly at other points. But it was nice while it lasted at least.

What did you think?

Kev Kev

Loved it!

BoJack dying was something that had been hinted towards throughout the show and it's how a lot of people expected things to end. The View From Halfway Down is an amazing episode and they could have ended it on that. But I think having him live on is the bolder, less easy choice. Like Diane says, "sometimes life's a bitch and then you keep living." The people in Bojack's life, Diane, Todd, Princess Caroline and Hollyhock (...Mister Peanutbutter not so much lol), grow and move on with their lives by making the changes they need. But BoJack lets himself continue to be stuck in the same loop. Like the projects he worked on earlier in the show, he's making The Horny Unicorn as a way to seek validation and asking Princess Caroline to be his agent after he gets out of prison because even after everything he's gone through he can't break himself away from that life. He even imagined Princess Caroline's wedding playing out like some sitcom episode premise where he steps in and gets to be the hero. But it's not like that because she's got her shit together and is happy with who she is.

Todd and Bojack talking on the beach was also a nice sort of meta discussion of the show as a whole. That art is about what people take away from it. The people making it may provide smart insight sometimes, they may sound silly at other points. But it was nice while it lasted at least.

What did you think?

Well said! I quite literally couldn’t explain it better myself, so I won’t try lol. But yeah, Essentially the same thing. But I I was definitely one of those people that didn’t like it much, at first. After a rewatch it grew on me, and I think it just it fits the show better. I guess I wanted it to end black or white, like either end with him jumping off a bridge or completely redeeming himself, but instead it was somewhere in between. But life is so much more grey like that you know? It’s not always this punctual, epic ending. Sometimes it’s just like, we’ll that chapter is over, decisions were made and now I have to live with them, for better or worse.

The view from halfway down was fantastic. It was just about everything I wanted from the ending, I don’t know how they nailed it so hard, but they did. It’s one of my favorite episodes, along with the “stupid piece of shit” episode, his moms funeral (absolutely brilliant), and so many more.

Damn I loved your insight, thanks for sharing! I’m craving a rewatch soon but I have to get emotionally prepared first, lmao

DKehoe

Well said! I quite literally couldn’t explain it better myself, so I won’t try lol. But yeah, Essentially the same thing. But I I was definitely one of those people that didn’t like it much, at first. After a rewatch it grew on me, and I think it just it fits the show better. I guess I wanted it to end black or white, like either end with him jumping off a bridge or completely redeeming himself, but instead it was somewhere in between. But life is so much more grey like that you know? It’s not always this punctual, epic ending. Sometimes it’s just like, we’ll that chapter is over, decisions were made and now I have to live with them, for better or worse.

The view from halfway down was fantastic. It was just about everything I wanted from the ending, I don’t know how they nailed it so hard, but they did. It’s one of my favorite episodes, along with the “stupid piece of shit” episode, his moms funeral (absolutely brilliant), and so many more.

Damn I loved your insight, thanks for sharing! I’m craving a rewatch soon but I have to get emotionally prepared first, lmao
Always happy to talk about BoJack! I've been thinking of doing a rewatch too.

Yeh I definitely get the desire to have something more definitive, either have him redeem himself or die because he's fucked up so bad. But in a way, neither of those happening is sort of the point. Like you said, life doesn't really work along the lines of what makes for a good narrative arc. To jump back to something I referenced above, it's like BoJack expecting Princess Caroline's wedding to play out like a TV show episode that he could step in and be the protagonist of, that for him even major events in other people's lives are there to serve as learning experiences for him. As Princess Caroline says "it's a better story for you. I think I like it better this way" When she presses him on what he would have actually said to save the day he admits he doesn't actually know.

It's also the idea throughout the show that becoming "a better person" isn't some singular moment of apotheosis. It's something you work on continuously and have setbacks on. In the finale, when Bojack is on the beach with Todd he talks about worrying that once he's out of prison he'll relapse again. To which Todd just says "then you'll get sober again" because life isn't about a constant upward trajectory. You have to keep working through the setbacks that come up. Like the jogging monkey at the end of season two says "Every day it gets a little easier. But you gotta do it every day. That's the hard part. Now I'm rambling haha. As I said, I'm always happy to talk about BoJack. So once I start it just starts flowing.

Stupid Piece Of Shit and Free Churro are great episodes too. I think my favourite is Time's Arrow, the one that explores Beatrice's past (which is why she is the way she is, and therefore why BoJack is the way he is) through the lens of her dementia. The show does a really good job of experimenting with different formats rather than just sticking to the same one over and over.

Methos#1975

I perfer 4K bluray to all. I have a nice Oled and Atmos at home, and there isn't any theater within hours of me that provides a better looking or sounding experience than I have at home. The cinema is for broke ass plebs.

Theatrical only, I've had a subscription for...~13 years; flat fee a month for unlimited visits, I go at least once a week.

Last edited:

dottme

Streaming is my preference.
There’s way too much advertisement in movie theater.
It’s a pain to find a correct seat with a good view.
i sometimes find the sounds too loud.

Cyberpunkd

Movies should be released same time on home video and cinema, even with different prices. Let people choose.

I have kids and disposable income - I would love to see the newest movies with my wife in the evening in bed. Plus most of the time the sound in the theatre is too fucking loud.

Top Bottom